PDA

View Full Version : Grasscourt tennis - my impressions

Max G.
07-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Watched the semis of the Newport tournament on TV today - my impressions are as follows:

Murray vs Gimelstob: the type of aggressive play that is so rare to see nowadays, and which is definitely rewarded by the grass - serving and volleying, baseline play to work up to the net. That's the kind of all-court game that I like very much, it was a treat to watch.

...but then, followed by Melzer vs Philippoussis, where for the first set nobody could get a serve back in play...

The good and the bad of grasscourt tennis, right there...

arosen
07-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Yeah, maybe the Wimby guys figured out the right formula, not too slow, not too fast. My fav matches this year at Wimby were Stepanek vs. Verdasco ( Radek was coming in on everything with Verdasco playing awesome baseline tennis) and mixed dubs final, and of course the womens' final with both girls nailing volleys and passing shots, exchanging powerful groundies...all the good stuff. Newport is probably a tad faster, so Poussis was bombing away as usual.

caesar66
07-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Grass definitely has pros and cons, but so does clay, on one hand you get to see players tough out long matches, but on the other, points go on forever alot of the time and matches never seem to end. All surfaces have pros and cons, thats why I wish the seasons were equaled out, so the cons of one surface don't have to be endured longer than the pros of another.

AndrewD
07-15-2006, 09:11 PM
In my opinion, it's worth putting up with those matches like Phillipoussis v Melzer so you can get ones like Gimelstob v Murray. Of course, you don't want the courts to be lightning fast but you definately want them to be faster than they were at Wimbledon this year.

Grass doesn't favour baseliners with extreme grips. Never has and it never should. That isn't to say a baseliner shouldn't be able to win on grass (a la Borg or, to a degree, Connors). Rather, in order to win on grass they should be required to do more than merely hang on the baseline (a la Borg and Connors). Exactly the same as clay requires/required a serve-volley or player to have more going for them than just a big serve. If they're willing to add an extra element to their game (patience and choosing the right time to attack) they can be successful. The current Wimbledon courts don't do allow for that and let players get away with being one-dimensional.

True, Wimbledon has, in days gone by, allowed players to be one-dimensional (big serve and a volley) but that doesn't mean we need to redress the balance. The ideal speed is one that allows a player like Hewitt to have a chance but doesn't disadvantage a player like Mirnyi. At the moment the Wimbledon courts play so slow they nullify certain shots (the slice sits up too much) and certain styles of play (serve-volley or attacking tennis).

Jonas
07-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Guys,
What time in the final on tommorow? I missed both of today's matches and know that it is going to be on fox sports in my area.
thanks,

Fee
07-15-2006, 09:54 PM
2 pm Eastern time, 11 am Pacific.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-16-2006, 11:15 AM
this was good match, Wimby won't change though

-k-