PDA

View Full Version : how does Nadal prevent his shoulder from separating?

bdawg
07-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Nadal uses that unorthidox forehand swing where his motion finishes above his head..

I tried that on the court and I nearly injured my shoulder. I understand that with time and training that my stamina can improve.

what does everyone think of this swing? do you think Nadal will have shoulder problems like Rafter did?

travlerajm
07-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Nadal uses that unorthidox forehand swing where his motion finishes above his head..

I tried that on the court and I nearly injured my shoulder. I understand that with time and training that my stamina can improve.

what does everyone think of this swing? do you think Nadal will have shoulder problems like Rafter did?

His swingweight is actually higher than Rafter's (~365 vs ~355). IMO, if he has shoulder problems, it will more likely be due to serving with the high swingweight than due to his forehand. If you compare his biceps, you'll notice that his left biceps muscle is much larger than his right - ostensibly from repeatably lifting that high swingweight racquet every time he hits a forehand.

ta11geese3
07-15-2006, 10:27 PM
That 'unorthodox forehand swing' isn't actually that unorthodox, actually. It's just a reverse forehand... plenty of pros use it (davenport, sharapova, sampras, etc). Go to the instruction forum and you'll find plenty of topics on this =D

Woodstock_Tennis
07-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Actualy pretty easy on the shoulder, prob. hurt you cause you were trying to throw it up there to hard. A lot of people hit this shot while on the run....

dewey2110
07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
He actually trains a lot, look at his arm and shoulder...he trains well and properly to maintain good overall muscles...

crazylevity
07-16-2006, 07:23 AM
But Davenport, Sharapova and Sampras use Eastern Grips, and the reverse forehand helps them get topspin. The Eastern Grip is in itself less extreme, so wouldn't that account for less likelihood for injury? I mean, as compared to a Western Grip doing a reverse forehand.

Rickson
07-16-2006, 07:33 AM

Like McEnroe, I think the Landsdorp forehand is the most ridiculous looking forehand except for the absolute beginner's forehand, which is a forehand with no followthrough and I'm not so sure the beginner's forehand is any worse than the "reverse" forehand. I highly recommend you never use that ugly forehand again because it serves no purpose except if you want to lob occasionally.

rod99
07-16-2006, 11:48 AM
wrong. it does serve a purpose. it helps you get additional top spin on the ball and allows you to curl the ball in from outside the doubles ally into the corner. plus it's very effective in making the ball dip at your opponents feet (when they're at the net) and the topsin lob. it may not look pretty but it is effective. sampras, sharapova, nadal, davenport, clijsters, ljubicic all use it to varying degrees.