PDA

View Full Version : One-Piece tie off problem

brandonht
07-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I've recently began learning how to do the ATW- Pattern using one-piece stringing

I'm on the short side and i made the first cross with the last weave
my problem is that while the tensioner is holding onto the first cross, i'm not able to clamp the string to tie the first knot because the first cross string and the head of the stringing machine are in the way. What can i do to clamp the string?

thanks in advance!

Steve Huff
07-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Have never had it happen, but I've heard some Laserfibre machines make it difficult to clamp the top cross. You'll probably need to weave, tension and tie off the 2nd cross, either by itself or doing both the top and 2nd cross. You can tie off the 2nd cross by itself, then using the long string, weave the top and 3rd, skipping the one you used for a tie-off.

brandonht
07-16-2006, 02:09 PM
right now i've just resorted to starting the crosses from the throat and i'm at the last cross at the top of the racket - the string is on the machine while 1 clamp is holding the 2nd last cross

right now i'm not able to tie the final knot because there's not enough room to clamp the final cross - Is there anything i can do? i'm pretty stuck

here's an image of the state that i'm stuck in:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/bboypkj/webcam071606-1815-54.jpg

at the top of the racket theres no room to fit a clamp to tension the final cross
any suggestions? all suggestions would be appreciated

thanks again!
(thanks steve, ill keep that info in mind for next time - but this time i finished the racket before i saw your post :(.. )

LoveThisGame
07-16-2006, 04:09 PM
A flying clamp works, but you need to have one, of course.

bigbanger
07-16-2006, 04:59 PM
You're using a different ATW pattern than I use. I use the one suggested by the USRSA which calls for the short side to be tied off as usual, but the last long side main is left off so the long side main ends at the head. You then string all of the crosses using the long side and then fill in the last long side main when you're done with the crosses. The only issue I've run into with this pattern is that you sometimes have to clamp the second to last long side main a bit lower than you might like in order to leave enough room to weave the first cross. Other than that minor issue, the pattern has worked well for me on a variety of frames. Not sure if it'll work as well on your machine, however, but it might be worth a try next time.

MTChong
07-16-2006, 08:18 PM
It looks like he's using diredesire's method; you're going to need a flying clamp probably to hold the string in place - that's what I use.

diredesire
07-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Is that the e.Stringer FL? When i got mine ... 4? 5? years ago, they included a flying clamp in the package. I don't like how wilson extends their cross strings so close to the edge of the frame. I don't notice this problem with many other string brands.

A flying clamp there is your best bet. If you just want to get the racquet done, you can bow the top most cross pretty far out and clamp. It'll give you a pretty significant drop in tension, though, and obviously it's not recommended.

brandonht
07-17-2006, 06:18 AM
ah ill give these suggestions a try, thanks guys

diredesire: ya thats teh e.stringer fl - unfortunately mine didnt come with a flying clamp, perhaps silent partner got cheaper since then :(

once i do get a flying clamp, how is it used?
using my situation for example, where would i put it and tie off the knot?

diredesire
07-17-2006, 09:24 AM
ah ill give these suggestions a try, thanks guys

diredesire: ya thats teh e.stringer fl - unfortunately mine didnt come with a flying clamp, perhaps silent partner got cheaper since then :(

once i do get a flying clamp, how is it used?
using my situation for example, where would i put it and tie off the knot?

http://sptennis.com/images/Flying%20Clamp%20Accessory.jpg

As you can KIND of see in that picture, there are two jaws on the floating clamp. When you flip the handle open, both jaws will open. You place the string you are trying to clamp in one of the jaws, and the string that was strung just prior to that string (i.e. the closest cross) in the other jaws as an anchor string. Compress the handles (you may want to make sure the clamp is adjusted properly, but in my experience, the flying clamp from SP is pretty good at varying tightnesses). Your string is now clamped!

brandonht
07-17-2006, 02:45 PM
hm if i were to do ATW, and i skipped the last main to do the first cross,
since its the first cross - what would i clamp it with if i were to use a flying clamp?

diredesire
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
hm if i were to do ATW, and i skipped the last main to do the first cross,
since its the first cross - what would i clamp it with if i were to use a flying clamp?

The anchor string lends stability to a string, as well as gives the clamp a chance to give a good force. If you have no anchor, you should probably just slip a piece of dummy string in the other set of jaws so it can at least clamp down with enough force. That's basically all you can do in your situation, it's kind of ugly :(

brandonht
07-18-2006, 06:28 AM
hehe thanks for the help guys