PDA

View Full Version : Nike Tennis camp comments (UCSD)

Redflea
07-16-2006, 11:04 PM
My sons started at the UCSD Nike Tennis camp today. First time for them going to a tennis camp (though they've gone to other camps - boy scouts, YMCA, etc.).

Sign-in process was OK. Was a bit disappointed to see that there are a lot of single rooms - kids in those rooms miss out on the whole "roomie" experience, including late night BS sessions about the day's court time, general experiences, etc. I was hoping my sons would get a dose of that part of college life as well as the tennis experience.

Big surprise for my kids is that the courts are not exactly next to the dorms...it's about a 10-15 minute walk to the courts, so 20 to 30 minutes to-from walking for each on-court session. On most days there are two court sessions (40-60 minutes hoofing it back and forth), on one day three sessios (60-90 minutes trudging). My boys were a bit nonplussed. :) They're very fit and won't be bothered physically by the walking, but I think they expected a limo golf cart or something to whisk them to the courts...

The first activity on the courts this afternoon was playing tie-breaks...I'll post more info as it dribbles out from my kids (they're supposed to call tomorrow night w/an update.

Wish I was spending a week in La Jolla playing tennis. Anyone want to adopt me and send me to camp!? ;)

goober
07-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Wish I was spending a week in La Jolla playing tennis. Anyone want to adopt me and send me to camp!? ;)

Head on down to the La Jolla Beach and tennis club- very nice.

Redflea
07-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Yup...saw that, pretty cool. La Jolla Shores beach was a crowded mess, however, on the Sunday we dropped them off. <ick>

An update on how things turned out.

The camp turned out well overall. They drilled each AM until lunch, and then played 1 set matches after lunch...two or three of the days they played until 9:00 PM at night (going back after dinner). In the evenings when not playing tennis they evidently hung out in a game room playing ping pong and other stuff. "The college life." ;)

There was a large group and only 8 or so courts, so they had to wait for play time in the afternoon (drills were everyone at the same time)...they said usually no more than 15 or so minutes waiting for match play, so the turnover was pretty fast. They played a mixture of singles and doubles.

They both liked the food. :)

Both liked the camp instructors and thought they were helpful with their games, but this is a far cry from personalized instruction. (We didn't expect that, just want to be clear.)

They said most participants were at or just above/below their levels (they are a strong 3.5 and strong 3.0)...they felt their matches were fun and competitive enough.

The major benefit of the week was a lot of time on the court playing a lot of different people...something they can't get at that volume at our club. Both were hitting better after they got home...most siginificant gains in consistency, not surprisingly.

There were more boys than girls...but not a huge difference. Boys and girls played against each other as well as boy-boy, girl-girl matches.

They both said that they had a good time and want to go back next year.

So overall it appears to have been a good choice for them.

migjam
07-24-2006, 01:44 PM
The major benefit of the week was a lot of time on the court playing a lot of different people...something they can't get at that volume at our club. Both were hitting better after they got home...most siginificant gains in consistency, not surprisingly.

That's the big thing that I see with these summer camps. It isn't so much the drilling or the instruction, but the fact that the kids get to play against so many different players.

retroceso
07-25-2006, 12:50 AM
They're very fit and won't be bothered physically by the walking, but I think they expected a limo golf cart or something to whisk them to the courts...

AHAAHAH im going to stanford i was so thinking that they'll pull up in like golf carts or something. oh well

TT_ThunderCloud
07-26-2006, 08:38 PM
From my camp experiences, the instruction hasn't always been the best, but the variety of players is great. So many styles of play. It really is important to play as many different people as possible.