PDA

View Full Version : New Balance 1002

TennisProPaul
07-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Is the 1002 width wider then other NB?

tarkowski
07-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Is the 1002 width wider then other NB?

They are noticeably roomier (both width and vertical room) than my 1001. I'm an 'E' and the 'EE' 1001 fits me but I think I may try the 'D' in the 1002 as the 1002 'EE' may be too much. Not sure how it compares to other models...

TennisProPaul
07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Tarkowski Hi!

The Sizes Available Are D , 2e, & 4e.

For Your 1001's You Had 2e?

And For The 1002 You Tried 2e And They Were Too Wide?

WHAT ABOUT THE ALL AROUND FEEL OF THE SHOE. IM THINKING THE 1001 MIGHT STILL BE BETTER, AND I MIGHT HAVE TO BUY A BUNCH OF THEM BEFORE THEY ARE 100% GONE.

sorry about the caps

hummer23
07-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I really loved the 1001's i went through 4 pairs of them. The shoes had a nice wide feel, even in D size, which i wore. I tried the 1002's and then didnt seem to fit as well, perhaps they were wider.

tarkowski
07-23-2006, 06:12 AM
Tarkowski Hi!

The Sizes Available Are D , 2e, & 4e.

For Your 1001's You Had 2e?

And For The 1002 You Tried 2e And They Were Too Wide?

WHAT ABOUT THE ALL AROUND FEEL OF THE SHOE. IM THINKING THE 1001 MIGHT STILL BE BETTER, AND I MIGHT HAVE TO BUY A BUNCH OF THEM BEFORE THEY ARE 100% GONE.

sorry about the caps

Hi TennisProPaul,

It's been a while since I've been on this section of the message boards - so I hope I can still help.

I have a 9EE in both 1001 and 1002. The 1002 is noticeably wider, and roomier throughout (except length - 1002 is a tad shorter), and I thought initially that I may have trouble with it on court (sliding inside the shoe). The 1001 fits more glove-like and when not on court, felt like it would be the better shoe for me. Even after a few initial tests, I was liking the 1001 more.

Well - after about 6 weeks of playing 3X days a week on, one week off, playing another 3X week on with a different pair, taking some time off - etc. I've come to the conclusion that I actually like the 1002 better on court. Even as an EE, I haven't had much issue with sliding. In fact, I developed blisters on the toe next to the baby using the 1001's after the 3rd day of use in each trial period. No blisters at all with 1002. The soles on the 1002 were perceptually more stiff than the 1001 - but after a few weeks of wear, they are similar. The 1001 seems to be a tad more cushy, but the 1002 has a wider forefoot and feels more stable. Also, even though the 1002 are wider (again, both EE), my foot seems more planted and moves less. It's just a different fit. And it might be the 1002 breathes more to help with the blister issue.

All in all, I'm just more pleased with the 1002. Hopefully no one has been mislead - this is my long-term test and initially I was all for the 1001. So I apologize if any decisions were made on those initial posts. It took me some time to come to this conclusion. And, this is clearly personal - so many factors in fit. Many may still prefer the 1001. And and even though I'm not getting blisters and sliding, the 1002 is defintely wider than 1001 and I'm still wondering if a D would be the best for me. I'll be giving that a try once I'm ready for a new pair of shoes - quite a while since I've got a few that I'm comparing. :)

On a more extended note, I've been rotating the KSwiss Defier in along with these other two. The shoe still fits the best - glove like and comfortable right out of the box. I haven't developed any foot issues or blisters with this model either (even though it breathes much less than 1002). It is cushier than the 1002, BUT, there is a relatively greater chance of rolling an ankle with this model. The rubber on the sole is noticeably softer, and mostly, I like it because it so easy on the joints. But for higher-levels of playing, you can feel the rubber 'give' and stick underneath you much more than the 1002. So for quick transitions, you just need to be aware of it. Let me be clear though - it is not an accident waiting to happen, far from it. It's just less high-performance than the 1002.

Right now, I like to practice more in the KSwiss (helps with a patellar-issue that we're diagnosing right now) and wear the 1002 on game days. But I'm finding that both are excellent shoes.

Take care

OzNQc
08-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Got my NB 1002 shoes about a month ago. They are more comfy than my NB 780 and NB 822 shoes. Breathability is on par with the NB 822. However, this is where the tradeoff occurs in terms of the uppers of these two models in comparison with the NB 780. Slliding with the the NB 1002 and NB 822 was not so great for the upper mesh material just past the big toe region. Anyway, they are a solid shoe, grip the court well and are a good shoe so they get a thumbs up.

OzNQc
12-10-2007, 02:06 AM
NB 1002...

top marks from me for...

no breakin
cushioning comfort over the life of the shoe!
sizing and width availabilities
stability
breathability
conservative looks

Not so great marks for....
durability = 60 hrs on a clay court and the sole underneath the balls of my feet are slick = very bad for traction
toeguard stitching = not strong enough to stand the rigours of claycourt sliding = needed maybe some of the grey durable material on the inner forefoot locking strap

Btw tarkowski... good point about the larger height of the toebox and width...
i may go down to a D in this one if i get this again!!