PDA

View Full Version : Tension Suggestions POG OS

bamacrazy
07-17-2006, 12:43 PM
I ran across a pretty good deal on a POG oversize racquet. I usually string toward the lower third within a racquet's recommended tension range. Any compelling reason to string the POG tighter? What tension do you prefer with this racquet?

Nastase
07-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Been basically using this stick 25 ys...I typically dont like it strung at a lower than mid-range tension (i think it calls for 62 +/- 5 lbs now) and rarely string it below 65 pounds no matter what I put in it...although i will go lower than 65 for cold weather or occas. for clay. What string are you putting in it? If you use kevlar or some brittle poly's I can see dropping it a bit.

bamacrazy
07-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm going to try prince topspin 15L...

progman_2000
07-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Ditto on the 65 lbs - I use PSGD 17g

TennisProPaul
07-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I have 4 POG os, and have experminted with many tensions. I string with a star2 machine which will make the strings 2-5 lbs tighter then a crank machine. So IMO its important to mention the type of machine you string with when talking about tension.

That said..

I have found any tension over 62lbs makes the frame very hard to put a volley away. This is a low power frame with tons of control, so going with a lower tension would make sence as the frame control is so amazing you can afford to go lower.

All POG os players need to try one string job of Technifiber Promix 17g 60m 58c

CliffH
07-17-2006, 08:06 PM
I just switched to the new TW pog os and started at 65# with a 15L VS/tnt2 hybrid with my constant pull machine. Very different feel than older pog os: lighter, more flex.

Had to drop tension on my 17g VS touch/18g tnt2 hybrid that I enjoy to 55#ish after adding lead to handle, I know it sounds wimpy but it plays incredible.

If I add lead to head, or go with thicker gauge, I had to go up in tension, in the sixties and if I go with 17g, which I like the best, I plan to go even lower to 52#.

TennisProPaul
07-17-2006, 08:37 PM
I just switched to the new TW pog os and started at 65# with a 15L VS/tnt2 hybrid with my constant pull machine. Very different feel than older pog os: lighter, more flex.

Had to drop tension on my 17g VS touch/18g tnt2 hybrid that I enjoy to 55#ish after adding lead to handle, I know it sounds wimpy but it plays incredible.

If I add lead to head, or go with thicker gauge, I had to go up in tension, in the sixties and if I go with 17g, which I like the best, I plan to go even lower to 52#.

cliff can you tell me..

your level?

why you would add lead to the head? and how much

why you would ad lead to the handle? and how much

and why 17g would make you go to 52 when you said you loved 55ish with 17 gut main, and 18 tnt cross?

thanks

Nastase
07-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Cliff, You said the new TW POG OS is lighter. I am curious about this. The ones I got (not the most recent graphics, mine say "Straight Shaft" on one side, not "Tour" like the newer ones do) feel heavier than the old 4 stripe version to me. I prefer the lighter version. Can you compare or add anything else? Anyone else feel the same...everytime they switch factories or something its just a bit off from the prvious version IMO...thx

TennisProPaul
07-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Nastase and others can you reply to this thread as well?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1018480#post1018480

Ripper
07-18-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm going to try prince topspin 15L...

With that string, at least, 62. The OS POG's trampoliny ways will get to you if lower.

CliffH
07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
I found the 15L psg etc trampolined below 62# as well.

I was very surprised when the fine guage gut did not, in fact it seems to have less power as some pointed out to me, especially blocking hard serves and on volleys.