PDA

View Full Version : What will the top ten ranking be in about 5 years.

monfils
07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
When the likes of Federer, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick have retired, who will be number one out of the new generation of youngsters and what will the top ten look like. Put a list of what the top ten would look like, who will be the next number one and why. Heres my version:

1Monfils
2nadal
3gasquet
4berdych
5ancic
6bagdhatis
7Murray
8JMD
9Djokovic
10Young

Monfils will be number one because he does not have any big weaknesses, He is very tall and all rounded. He is also very strong mentally. He doesn't seem to have any problems playing anyone because there is no real weakness they can exploit. He will probably have the biggest shots out of all these youngsters. The biggest serve,Biggest forehand and one of the biggest backhands plus the fact that he will be one of the fastest guys will make him number one. His mental strength and will to win will be the main reason why he will be the best. In terms of results he has had, well just look at his junior career. He should have won the junior grandslam. He can play on all surfaces.
He was not that great early on like gasquet but look at how quickly he has risen. Once he matures he will be an unstoppable force.

stoffer
07-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Here's my guess...

1 Gasquet
2 Baghs
3 Nadal
4 Federer
5 Ancic
6 Djokovic
7 Berdych
8 Monfils
9 Murray
Cant think of anyone else...

Gasquet is my 1 pick since he seems to me like a junior Federer. He's got the skills but continues to lose matches he should win he just needs more development as Fed did. And Fed probably wont be retired in 5 years so youll still see him up there.

And who is JMD??

Condoleezza
07-17-2006, 01:14 PM
When the likes of Federer, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick have retired, who will be number one out of the new generation of youngsters and what will the top ten look like. Put a list of what the top ten would look like, who will be the next number one and why. Heres my version:

1Monfils
2nadal
3gasquet
4berdych
5ancic
6bagdhatis
7Murray
8JMD
9Djokovic
10Young

Monfils will be number one because he does not have any big weaknesses, He is very tall and all rounded. He is also very strong mentally. He doesn't seem to have any problems playing anyone because there is no real weakness they can exploit. He will probably have the biggest shots out of all these youngsters. The biggest serve,Biggest forehand and one of the biggest backhands plus the fact that he will be one of the fastest guys will make him number one. His mental strength and will to win will be the main reason why he will be the best. In terms of results he has had, well just look at his junior career. He should have won the junior grandslam. He can play on all surfaces.
He was not that great early on like gasquet but look at how quickly he has risen. Once he matures he will be an unstoppable force.

There will be at least 2, probably even more players in the top 10 you haven't ever heard until now. Some 20, 21 year olds who are waiting in the wings right now ....

Condi

monfils
07-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Here's my guess...

1 Gasquet
2 Baghs
3 Nadal
4 Federer
5 Ancic
6 Djokovic
7 Berdych
8 Monfils
9 Murray

Gasquet is my 1 pick since he seems to me like a junior Federer. He's got the skills but continues to lose matches he should win he just needs more development as Fed did. And Fed probably wont be retired in 5 years so youll still see him up there.

And who is JMD??

JMD= Juan Martin Del portro

yeah i know Federer and the others might no have retired. Thats why i said ABOUT five years. I'm trying to see the top ten when Federer is not around.

monfils
07-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Here's my guess...

1 Gasquet
2 Baghs
3 Nadal
4 Federer
5 Ancic
6 Djokovic
7 Berdych
8 Monfils
9 Murray

And who is JMD??

He might end up being the junior Safin. Honestly his backhand and volleys are the only major weapons he has. His forehand is only good when he is in top form, His serve is average, He is not that a great mover and not that tough mentally.

MaxT
07-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Why would Federer retire in 5 years. He will be only 29. I think/hope he plays another 10 good years.

monfils
07-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Why would Federer retire in 5 years. He will be only 29. I think/hope he plays another 10 good years.
No he would be thirty and about to retire. I will change the title to 7 years.

Marat Safinator
07-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I think Korolev or Cilic will be number 1.

Raistlin
07-17-2006, 02:10 PM
1 Nadal
2 Monfils
3 Gasquet
4 Baghs
5 Murray

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-17-2006, 02:16 PM
1. Roddick
2. Baggy
3. Monfils
4. Querrey
5. Nadal
6. Fed Express
7. Berdych
8. Hewitt
9. Donald Young
10. Gasquet

-k-

Marat Safinator
07-17-2006, 02:19 PM
donald young? hahahaha

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
sucks now mate, but will be good in 5 years. He will improve even more after that. The future number one after Roddick will be Monfils, Young should claim it in 10.

-k-

Marat Safinator
07-17-2006, 02:30 PM
so you think roddick will be no.1 again? not sure about that.

monfils
1. Roddick
2. Baggy
3. Monfils
4. Querrey
5. Nadal
6. Fed Express
7. Berdych
8. Hewitt
9. Donald Young
10. Gasquet

-k-
Roddick will never be number one. He won't even be in the top ten. He has nothing except a serve. Surely if he cannot be in the top ten now then he cannot be in 7 years.

helloworld
There are many prodigies that will turn pros in a couple years. I think the next generation will be very interesting. Personally, I think Nadal will still be up there, but as for Gasquet, Monfils, Djokovic, etc., they still have more to prove. Gasquet was never thought by experts as the most talented player on tour, while Federer have always been known to be the most talented since before he started dominating tennis. Just because the guy has one handed backhand, doesn't mean he's the next Federer for crying out loud. And as for Monfils, you can just forget about him. I don't see him becoming No.1 anytime soon or even in the future, but I will say that he will be in the top ten, that's for sure.

fastdunn
07-17-2006, 02:46 PM
I've heard Djokovic's 2 younger brothers are supposed to be even
better than Djokovic.

Monfils has some good chance as long as they maintain
current slow conditions of the ATP tour. It's a running man's sport.

Marat Safinator
07-17-2006, 02:48 PM
forget about monfils. djokovic, korolev, cilic are the real deal.

helloworld
07-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Yes, I see Korolev and Cilic hitting the top 10 as well, but they still have even more to prove than Monfils.

fastdunn
07-17-2006, 02:54 PM
yeah, I'm not that all impressed by Monfil's strokes but
it was amazing to see him ridiculing world class top players
with his foot speed. I'm also increasingly negative about
prospects of attacking shotmakers/power players like Safin
under this very slowed conditions of ATP tour. Look at all
these power players, they are going under one by one...

monfils
07-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Monfils has achieved alot more in his junior career than these players. Cilic and djokovick will never be as good as monfils. Monfils probably has more advantages physically and Mentally.I have a feeling Monfils won't be playing defensive tennis forever. When he stops holding back on his shots he will become unstoppable. I saw his match against Nadal and he has the abitlity to blow nadal off the court with one shot. Nadals topsin forehands do not even bother him like they bother other players. I also saw his match against Federer in Doha and Federer did not seem to be able to hit a ball past Monfils. He had to come in to the net because he could not finish from the baseline. He was coming in even when Monfils balls were not short. If Monfils combines his defensive and offensive abilities then he could become number one.

lacoster
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Jonathan Eysseric (FRA) and Marin Cilic (CRO) will be top players...Monfils will reach top 10. He is just too talented and athletic not to; it's just a matter of time.
________
Smoke kills (http://smokekills.net/)

quest01
07-17-2006, 04:23 PM
I would have to say Federer will be ranked number 1 in seven years.

zhan
07-17-2006, 04:28 PM
1federer
2nadal
3ancic

arosen
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Fed's not going to be playing in 7 years. He said so hisself.

uxnaitoahz
07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
1. Federer
2. Baghdatis
3. Gasquet
4. Nadal
5. Monfils
6. Roddick
7. Ancic
8. Berdych
9. Hewitt
10. Murray

FREDDY
07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
1Gasquet
2Federer
3Nadal
4Bagdhatis
5Blake
6Ancic
7Kohlschreiber
8Roddick
9Some new talent
10Some new talent

jhhachamp
07-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Hard to predict, but I think Nadal, Gasquet, Berdych, Djokovic, and Baghdatis could see themselves in the top 10 in 5 years or 7 or whatever. I think Federer will still be around in 5 years, but not #1. Half of the top 10 will likely be people who are unknowns right now in 7 years. Cilic and Del Potro seem to be doing pretty well as juniors. I don't think Donald Young will ever break the top 100.

monfils
07-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Hard to predict, but I think Nadal, Gasquet, Berdych, Djokovic, and Baghdatis could see themselves in the top 10 in 5 years or 7 or whatever. I think Federer will still be around in 5 years, but not #1. Half of the top 10 will likely be people who are unknowns right now in 7 years. Cilic and Del Potro seem to be doing pretty well as juniors. I don't think Donald Young will ever break the top 100.
But Donald Young has had a better Junior Career. He has finished 2005 as number one junior ahead of Cilic. He is even younger than Cilic. Infact he is the youngest ever junior number one. So why should he not be better than Cilic in the future. Have you seen him play?

Ivanišević
07-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Monfils has achieved alot more in his junior career than these players. Cilic and djokovick will never be as good as monfils. Monfils probably has more advantages physically and Mentally.I have a feeling Monfils won't be playing defensive tennis forever. When he stops holding back on his shots he will become unstoppable. I saw his match against Nadal and he has the abitlity to blow nadal off the court with one shot. Nadals topsin forehands do not even bother him like they bother other players. I also saw his match against Federer in Doha and Federer did not seem to be able to hit a ball past Monfils. He had to come in to the net because he could not finish from the baseline. He was coming in even when Monfils balls were not short. If Monfils combines his defensive and offensive abilities then he could become number one.
"Monfils has achieved alot more in his junior career than these players. Cilic and djokovick will never be as good as monfils"
what's that suppose to mean???
cilic was no.1 junior in the world and won french open!

monfils
07-18-2006, 04:03 AM
"Monfils has achieved alot more in his junior career than these players. Cilic and djokovick will never be as good as monfils"
what's that suppose to mean???
cilic was no.1 junior in the world and won french open!
Cilic has never actually finished a year as number one. Last year he was number 2 behind a 16 year old. This year he was number one for only a short while, he is not even number one anymore. Monfils on the other hand finished 2004 as the number one Junior and won 3/4 of the Junior Granslams. If it wasn't for injury he would have won the Junior grandslam. He was unbeatable in the juniors, only lost once when he was injured. Cilic acheived nothing compared to Monfils. Cilic only won ONE grandslam and coudn't even finish a year as number one. Djokovic is even worse. He hasn't done anything in the Juniors.

Ivanišević
07-18-2006, 04:20 AM
Cilic has never actually finished a year as number one. Last year he was number 2 behind a 16 year old. This year he was number one for only a short while, he is not even number one anymore. Monfils on the other hand finished 2004 as the number one Junior and won 3/4 of the Junior Granslams. If it wasn't for injury he would have won the Junior grandslam. He was unbeatable in the juniors, only lost once when he was injured. Cilic acheived nothing compared to Monfils. Cilic only won ONE grandslam and coudn't even finish a year as number one. Djokovic is even worse. He hasn't done anything in the Juniors.
of course he wasn't number 1 becase he doesn't play junior tournaments any more. he started playing at ATP, if u didn't notice

Ivanišević
07-18-2006, 04:21 AM
of course he wasn't number 1 becase he doesn't play junior tournaments any more. he started playing ATP tournaments, if u didn't notice

Ivanišević
07-18-2006, 04:22 AM
double post, sorry
i'm having problems with my computer

monfils
07-18-2006, 04:42 AM
of course he wasn't number 1 becase he doesn't play junior tournaments any more. he started playing ATP tournaments, if u didn't notice
Yes I can see that. But look, he has never finished a year as number one. Thats the main point. He might have won Junior French Open but Monfils Won Junior Australian open AND Junior French Open AND Junior Wimbledon all in the same year. He was already ganranteed number one by July. Monfils should have joined edberg as the only two to have the Junior Grandslam. My point is that Cilic has acheived nothing compared to Monfils in His Career. Cilic still has alot to prove while Monfils is only three places away from the top twenty. By looking at their acheivements, i don't even think Cilic will be in the same league as Monfils.

helloworld
07-18-2006, 04:49 AM
Yes I can see that. But look, he has never finished a year as number one. Thats the main point. He might have won Junior French Open but Monfils Won Junior Australian open AND Junior French Open AND Junior Wimbledon all in the same year. He was already ganranteed number one by July. Monfils should have joined edberg as the only two to have the Junior Grandslam. My point is that Cilic has acheived nothing compared to Monfils in His Career. Cilic still has alot to prove while Monfils is only three places away from the top twenty. By looking at their acheivements, i don't even think Cilic will be in the same league as Monfils.
If Nadal didn't turn pro at the age of 16, he would have owned all the junior grand slams with ease and we won't be hearing anything about this kid, Monfils...

The Grand Slam
07-18-2006, 04:50 AM
Believe it or not, I think Murray will be up there somewhere.

Ivanišević
07-18-2006, 05:13 AM
If Nadal didn't turn pro at the age of 16, he would have owned all the junior grand slams with ease and we won't be hearing anything about this kid, Monfils...
i agree
junior rankings doesn't mean a thing

monfils
07-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Yeah, we probably woudn't be hearing about anyone including Monfils, baghdatis, Gasquet e.t.c But you have to understand that everbody breaks through at different times. Nadal is the greatest teenager that ever lived, He is only twenty and he is already beating the greatest player ever. When Monfils was 16 he wans't even playing at the same level as Nadal. Now when he is 19 he is playing at the same level as nadal. I saw Monfils playing Nadal in Roma masters and believe he will eventually be able to beat Nadal. He could hit balls past at will. Nadal on the other hand could do little to hurt Monfils with his topspins. Safin at twenty was much better than Federer, but now look at how much Federer continued to improve until he is number one.

monfils
07-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Believe it or not, I think Murray will be up there somewhere.
Yes maybe, but i don't think he will be the best because of his style of play.

monfils
07-18-2006, 05:34 AM
i agree
junior rankings doesn't mean a thing
How many junior champions have gone on to be great players. Look at bagdhatis, look at Federer, Gasquet, Roddick, Nalbandian, Coria. Non of these guys except Gasquet had a junior Career as good as Monfils so Monfils will probably also be a great player.

Rawness
07-18-2006, 05:46 AM
who is this donald young guy?

jhhachamp
07-18-2006, 05:50 AM
But Donald Young has had a better Junior Career. He has finished 2005 as number one junior ahead of Cilic. He is even younger than Cilic. Infact he is the youngest ever junior number one. So why should he not be better than Cilic in the future. Have you seen him play?

Nope, but have been following his results since he was about 14. When he was 14, he was a really great player for his age. However in the last 3 years or so, I have not seen noticable improvement in his results. He finished above Cilic last year in juniors, but Cilic actually had more points from singles I believe, and also played less tournaments. Young was better than Querry a year ago, and maybe about even with Cilic, but in the past year those two have had huge improvements and are at this point much better than Young. Querry is probably going to crack the top 100 by year's end if he keeps playing like he has been, and Cilic just made the semifinals of an ATP tour event. Right now Young is ranked outside the top 600, while both Querry and Cilic are ranked 200 and 205. I think both Cilic and Querry along with many other juniors are simply more talented overall than Young, but matured later or will mature later, while Young matured early.

Rawness
07-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Aside from all that I think nadal will be number one!! All yo have to do is look at this years wimbledon to see how much good advice he had taken on board about how to play on grass and he was standing 2 metres further in to retuen serve and approaching behind is viciously topspun backhands to mput away easy volleys. Fair enough he was highly attentive in the 1st set in the final but who wouldnt be against rog and he just refuses to lie down and wants every single point like noone ive ever witnessed!! Watch and see, the man is a human practice wall end of story!

helloworld
07-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Yeah, we probably woudn't be hearing about anyone including Monfils, baghdatis, Gasquet e.t.c But you have to understand that everbody breaks through at different times. Nadal is the greatest teenager that ever lived, He is only twenty and he is already beating the greatest player ever. When Monfils was 16 he wans't even playing at the same level as Nadal. Now when he is 19 he is playing at the same level as nadal. I saw Monfils playing Nadal in Roma masters and believe he will eventually be able to beat Nadal. He could hit balls past at will. Nadal on the other hand could do little to hurt Monfils with his topspins. Safin at twenty was much better than Federer, but now look at how much Federer continued to improve until he is number one.
Dude, Monfils isn't Federer and Safin certainly isn't Nadal !

Ivanišević
07-18-2006, 05:56 AM
How many junior champions have gone on to be great players. Look at bagdhatis, look at Federer, Gasquet, Roddick, Nalbandian, Coria. Non of these guys except Gasquet had a junior Career as good as Monfils so Monfils will probably also be a great player.

well, let me ask u...
do you know who was kristian pless or gilles miller or lina krasnoroutskaia or barbora strycova or kirsten flipkens?
if u don't know.. they were all juniors who ended year ranked number 1

monfils
07-18-2006, 06:05 AM
well, let me ask u...
do you know who was kristian pless or gilles miller or lina krasnoroutskaia or barbora strycova or kirsten flipkens?
if u don't know.. they were all juniors who ended year ranked number 1
Those are only a few people. Some of them have been troubled by injuries. I didn't say every single person who was number one became great, i said MOST of the Junior champions became great. Monfils is on his way.

monfils
07-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Nope, but have been following his results since he was about 14. When he was 14, he was a really great player for his age. However in the last 3 years or so, I have not seen noticable improvement in his results. He finished above Cilic last year in juniors, but Cilic actually had more points from singles I believe, and also played less tournaments. Young was better than Querry a year ago, and maybe about even with Cilic, but in the past year those two have had huge improvements and are at this point much better than Young. Querry is probably going to crack the top 100 by year's end if he keeps playing like he has been, and Cilic just made the semifinals of an ATP tour event. Right now Young is ranked outside the top 600, while both Querry and Cilic are ranked 200 and 205. I think both Cilic and Querry along with many other juniors are simply more talented overall than Young, but matured later or will mature later, while Young matured early.

I believe that Donald Young is more talented than those two, he has just not matured physically like those two. Those two are actually very tall. Mcenroe said that young was very talented and said that he had hands like him. There is a reason why young gets so many Wild Cards and its because of his talent. Once he matures pysically he will be able to beat Cilic and Querry again.

monfils
07-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Dude, Monfils isn't Federer and Safin certainly isn't Nadal !
I using them as an example. I didn't say Monfils is Federer or Safin is Nadal! Can't your argument have a little sense in them. Don't you have anything better to say?

helloworld
07-18-2006, 06:16 AM
I using them as an example. I didn't say Monfils is Federer or Safin is Nadal! Can't your argument have a little sense in them. Don't you have anything better to say?
Do you want a fight, blacklover? I can give you a fight.

monfils
07-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Do you want a fight, blacklover? I can give you a fight.
Are you racist. I like Monfils because of his game, not because of the color of his skin. Do you have a problem Monfils because he is black?

Rincon
07-18-2006, 07:49 AM
blacklover?

*Sigh* Blacklover? Your f*cking kidding me.

monfils
07-18-2006, 08:05 AM
*Sigh* Blacklover? Your f*cking kidding me.
No, i am not kidding. You say Blacklover as if i only support Monfils because he is black. You need to cool down and watch your language. I am here to discuss tennis, so please keep the topic to tennis.

Rincon
07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
No, i am not kidding. You say Blacklover as if i only support Monfils because he is black. You need to cool down and watch your language. I am here to discuss tennis, so please keep the topic to tennis.

I'm just mad because I thought we were all mature enough to get past names like that. Other than that, it was not directed to you, it was directed to helloworld.

monfils
07-18-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm just mad because I thought we were all mature enough to get past names like that. Other than that, it was not directed to you, it was directed to helloworld.
Oh, okay. I'm not mad about the name. I'm just mad because instead of arguing about tennis, all helloworld can think about is coming up with stupid names like Blacklover.

Rincon
07-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Oh, okay. I'm not mad about the name. I'm just mad because instead of arguing about tennis, all helloworld can think about is coming up with stupid names like Blacklover.

So lets just talk tennis! (Hence the board name). My guess is that the first three spots will be filled with Monfils, Murray, and Gasquet.

Shabazza
07-18-2006, 08:45 AM
I believe that Donald Young is more talented than those two, he has just not matured physically like those two. Those two are actually very tall. Mcenroe said that young was very talented and said that he had hands like him. There is a reason why young gets so many Wild Cards and its because of his talent. Once he matures pysically he will be able to beat Cilic and Querry again.
Well, he'll be 17 in a few days, which means his main growth phase will be over.
I don't think he'll ever have a great serve to help him win many cheap points, which means, if he doesn't put a huge amount of effort in the gym, like Hewitt and Nadal did, he won't be able to live up with the top pros, imo! He isn't as fast as Nadal or Hewitt. Yes, he may have a nice touch and a good feel for the ball, but these things don't help you much, if you can't back it up with good athleticism and powerful groundstrokes (or great at the top level). Without the footwork and endurance, you won't have the time on your shots you need to show your talent with the ball.
The next 1-2 years are crucial for his career, if he doesn't manage to work on his fitness and power he won't be a top 20 player. Nowadays you can't be playing at the top relying mainly on your touch and finesse like JMac did. Tennis has become more physical than ever and you need to be a top athlete to make it to the top.
Young still has a long way to go!

monfils
07-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Well, he'll be 17 in a few days, which means his main growth phase will be over.
I don't think he'll ever have a great serve to help him win many cheap points, which means, if he doesn't put a huge amount of effort in the gym, like Hewitt and Nadal did, he won't be able to live up with the top pros, imo! He isn't as fast as Nadal or Hewitt. Yes, he may have a nice touch and a good feel for the ball, but these things don't help you much, if you can't back it up with good athleticism and powerful groundstrokes (or great at the top level). Without the footwork and endurance, you won't have the time on your shots you need to show your talent with the ball.
The next 1-2 years are crucial for his career, if he doesn't manage to work on his fitness and power he won't be a top 20 player. Nowadays you can't be playing at the top relying mainly on your touch and finesse like JMac did. Tennis has become more physical than ever and you need to be a top athlete to make it to the top.
Young still has a long way to go!

Yes i agree with you. He definitely needs to work on his pyhsical conditioning otherwise he won't make it. He actually does have a huge serve, He just chooses not to hit it hard( i have no idea why). I have seen him Hit 130mph serves and that is huge for a 16yr old. There is no doubt that he has the talent, the only question is if he will work hard enough pyhsically to compete with the top pros. I don't know wether he can make it because he certainly needs powerful groundstrokes not only feel. I have no idea why he seems to have stoped improving. At first he could beat Cilic and Querry but now they are miles ahead of him. It seems that they have the power and fitness to compete at the top level. Infact young seems to be a worse player than he was last year. He has been losin in the Juniors after being number one. I still believe he will make a breakthrough towards the end of the year, it is just a matter of gaining confidence.

Moose Malloy
07-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Those are only a few people. Some of them have been troubled by injuries. I didn't say every single person who was number one became great, i said MOST of the Junior champions became great. Monfils is on his way.

Actually most do not:

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15672&bannerregion=

http://2005.usopen.org/en_US/news/spotlight/jr/pastchamps.html

monfils
07-18-2006, 09:24 AM
So lets just talk tennis! (Hence the board name). My guess is that the first three spots will be filled with Monfils, Murray, and Gasquet.
Yeah, I agree with you. The top two will be taken by Gasuet and Monfils. It will be a good rivalry. So far their head to head is 1- 1.

Shabazza
07-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes i agree with you. He definitely needs to work on his pyhsical conditioning otherwise he won't make it. He actually does have a huge serve, He just chooses not to hit it hard( i have no idea why). I have seen him Hit 130mph serves and that is huge for a 16yr old. There is no doubt that he has the talent, the only question is if he will work hard enough pyhsically to compete with the top pros. I don't know wether he can make it because he certainly needs powerful groundstrokes not only feel. I have no idea why he seems to have stoped improving. At first he could beat Cilic and Querry but now they are miles ahead of him. It seems that they have the power and fitness to compete at the top level. Infact young seems to be a worse player than he was last year. He has been losin in the Juniors after being number one. I still believe he will make a breakthrough towards the end of the year, it is just a matter of gaining confidence.
That's the main reason for his mediocre serve and his standstill! As I've said before, his 9 straight set losses at the ATP-tour have destroyed his confidence and put him back at least a year on his road to the pro's! I'll blame his parents for their stupid decisions! Gasquet had similar problems with the hype and all when he first came to the ATP-tour (ok he won his first match) and it did put him back 1 and a half year! But it seems like Young's parents didn't learn from other players mistake! :rolleyes:
It's bad for him that he doesn't have the level-headed surroundings Nadal has for example!

LeftyServe
07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Do not forget the up and coming Spaniards and Argentines, particularly if the slow courts continue to proliferate. Juan Martin Del Potro is an up and coming 17 year old Argentine, currently #130 or so, with the game to make it far.

acetennisman
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
donald young in the top 10 wtf? So many talented players that arent number one in the world itf at 12 years old. Its not the ones who get their first, its the ones who get their with a kick at the end.

monfils
07-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Actually most do not:

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15672&bannerregion=

http://2005.usopen.org/en_US/news/spotlight/jr/pastchamps.html
Okay you are right on this one. However in the last 8 years more Junior champions have made it. This is probably because the juniors were not taken very seriously in the past but now they are taken much more seriously and most players go through Juniors before becoming pros these days. Anyways Monfils is already virtually in the top twenty, In terms of ranking he is the number one 19 year old so i would still say he is going through the right path.

monfils
07-18-2006, 01:27 PM
donald young in the top 10 wtf? So many talented players that arent number one in the world itf at 12 years old. Its not the ones who get their first, its the ones who get their with a kick at the end.
Well, Donald won't be getting there too soon but i'm confident he will get there with a kick in the end. Those 12 year old won't be in the top ten yet, maybe they will be still playing juniors.

Moose Malloy
07-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Okay you are right on this one. However in the last 8 years more Junior champions have made it. This is probably because the juniors were not taken very seriously in the past but now they are taken much more seriously

Players of 80s/90s were a lot better as teenagers than players of 2000 & beyond. Becker, Agassi, Sampras, Chang, Edberg were all pros at 16. Monfils & Roddick were unusual, they were still playing juniors at 17/18. Not sure why 18 year olds juniors are more common these days. Maybe they are not confident of being pros at young age these days. Both Roddick & Monfils had an almost immediate impact on tour when they turned pro. They could've turned pro earlier & still done well, but I guess they liked dominating juniors (& probably got more endorsements being #1 junior in the world at 17, then turning pro, as opposed to being an unknown 17 year old playing futures & challengers)

monfils
07-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Players of 80s/90s were a lot better as teenagers than players of 2000 & beyond. Becker, Agassi, Sampras, Chang, Edberg were all pros at 16. Monfils & Roddick were unusual, they were still playing juniors at 17/18. Not sure why 18 year olds juniors are more common these days. Maybe they are not confident of being pros at young age these days. Both Roddick & Monfils had an almost immediate impact on tour when they turned pro. They could've turned pro earlier & still done well, but I guess they liked dominating juniors (& probably got more endorsements being #1 junior in the world at 17, then turning pro, as opposed to being an unknown 17 year old playing futures & challengers)
Yes i get your point, but i think it is because the mens game has become much more competetive these days. All the players seem to be playing at the same level. The mens game in the 80s is what the womens game is now(in terms of the age at what players were breaking through) If players like Sampras, Chang, Edberg were playing now i don't think they would break through at an early age.