PDA

View Full Version : Will this warp my racquet?

The Pusher Terminator
07-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Will this warp my racquet? I want to string the mains at 65 and the crosses at 58?

snoflewis
07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
it's recommended that you keep the tension between the mains and crosses up to 2-4 lbs...anything higher wouldnt be too great for your frame...especially 7 lbs.

tarheels2323
07-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Agreed. You don't want the difference between the mains and the crosses to be too big.

SteveI
07-17-2006, 04:15 PM
it's recommended that you keep the tension between the mains and crosses up to 2-4 lbs...anything higher wouldnt be too great for your frame...especially 7 lbs.

2nd that one. The most I have ever gone is 4 lbs and that made me nervous. That is also why you should cut out the strings of a frame that you broke a string. The un-even tension can't be good for the frame.

Regards,
Steve

Stan
07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Proportional stringing is safe and sometimes varies by as much as 40 lbs from the center strings to the outer mains.

mctennis
07-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Why in the world would you use that big of a difference between the mains and crosses?

JetFlyr
07-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Right now, I'm stringing mains at 54 (Lux Alu Power Rough) and crosses at 59 (Gosen OG-Micro). The racquets (Wilson nPS, 18x20) have never felt better. I can't imagine the n-coded (stronger) racquet not being able to handle this difference.

MTChong
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Right now, I'm stringing mains at 54 (Lux Alu Power Rough) and crosses at 59 (Gosen OG-Micro). The racquets (Wilson nPS, 18x20) have never felt better. I can't imagine the n-coded (stronger) racquet not being able to handle this difference.

N-Coded and stronger, indeed. Yeah, right.

I'd feel safer having more variable tension on racquets such as the PS 6.0s.

Also, in answer to the question, I'm sure it may work depending on your racquet because as one user stated, he strung ALU at 54 and Gosen at 59; ALU drops a lot of tension fast.

brucie
07-18-2006, 02:01 AM
n-coded (stronger) .

Yeah Iv only broke 5 ncodes up to now 4 nPS 1 n Pro Surge. :rolleyes:

Stan
07-18-2006, 04:15 AM
Why in the world would you use that big of a difference between the mains and crosses?

Do a search on proportional stringing. Using this method, each string is tensioned differently depending upon the string length. The longer strings are tighter and the shorter strings are looser. The overall effect is a more forgiving stringbed.

The Pusher Terminator
07-18-2006, 07:51 AM

I love really tight strings because I slice a lot. It also helps me on serve and volley....especially on volley as I have way more control. The problem with such tight strings however is on return of serve! I find the tight strings to be inferior on this stroke, So I figured haveing different tensions might help. I could string the mains tight for my slices and the crosses loose for return of serve.

MTChong
07-18-2006, 12:30 PM
I love really tight strings because I slice a lot. It also helps me on serve and volley....especially on volley as I have way more control. The problem with such tight strings however is on return of serve! I find the tight strings to be inferior on this stroke, So I figured haveing different tensions might help. I could string the mains tight for my slices and the crosses loose for return of serve.

I'm confused - if you really do like tight strings, just go for a happy medium with something like mains at 60 and crosses at 62. It won't warp the frame, and it'll feel tight because the crosses, but it won't be too stiff to detrimentally effect the return game.

JetFlyr
07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Yeah Iv only broke 5 ncodes up to now 4 nPS 1 n Pro Surge. :rolleyes:

Brucie,

How did you break that many frames? How long does one last you, on average? I'm one of the biggest hitters/servers in our 4.5-5.0 league. I only have two frames (nPS) that I alternate and I haven't broken either of them.

Come to think of it, the only two frames I've broken in the last ten years are one PS 6.0 95 that slipped out of my hand on a serve and landed on the head, and a PS 6.6 tour 95 over my knee. (I loved that frame, and when I went to get another, found out they were discontinued -- lesson learned. :neutral: )

The Pusher Terminator
07-18-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm confused - if you really do like tight strings, just go for a happy medium with something like mains at 60 and crosses at 62. It won't warp the frame, and it'll feel tight because the crosses, but it won't be too stiff to detrimentally effect the return game.

two pounds is just not enough to make any difference. I need a little power on return of serve...but for every other stroke I like it super tight...so I thought mains at 65 and crosses at 58 for power. on returns. My only issue is will it damage my racquet.

Steve Huff
07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
You break frames when you take a big cut at the ball and miss the center, usually making contact somewhere in the vicinity of 12 o'clock.

The Pusher Terminator
07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
You break frames when you take a big cut at the ball and miss the center, usually making contact somewhere in the vicinity of 12 o'clock.

Ok...but what about the stringing tensions I have suggested? What if any affect will it have on the frame?