PDA

View Full Version : Strange choice of surface - Melzer and Mirnyi in Stuttgart

Max G.
07-17-2006, 05:34 PM
So, there's a claycourt tournament this week, and I'm kind of surprised to see both Melzer and Mirnyi entered in it...

Melzer just got to the semis of Newport on grass, he's not really a slow-court player, so you'd think that he'd want to go from grass to hardcourts - but no, he's playing on clay this week.

And same with Mirnyi - I wonder why he would want to add in a tournament on clay before the hardcourt season, clay is certainly not his best surface! And it's not like he's there for the doubles with Bjorkman, he partnered with Gaudio (?!) and is unseeded...

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

SER
07-17-2006, 06:02 PM
it's the biggest of the 3 ATP events this week, and don't they give a car to the winner? or am i thinking of something else?

The tennis guy
07-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Melzer likes to play on natural surface, easier on the body.

Max G.
07-17-2006, 07:50 PM
it's the biggest of the 3 ATP events this week, and don't they give a car to the winner? or am i thinking of something else?

Hmm, it probably is the one with the car.

In terms of prize money, it is the biggest, but not really by much - 690,000 as opposed to 600,000 for Indianapolis (I presume that's total prize money? Or something? It's the number from ATPtennis.com)

Especially in Mirnyi's case, I would've thought that he would go with the one where he has a better chance of advancing.

...you're right though, it is the biggest of the events, though not by much, and that might have to do with it.

Max G.
07-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Maybe also location - players don't want to head over to the US from Europe earlier than they need to?

simi
07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Without checking a map, I suspect that Stuttgart is fairly close to Jurgen's hometown. Maybe he plans on a little R&R afterward. Don't know about Max, as he has a home in Florida. Maybe to visit his wife's family? Or, his parents?

simi
07-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Maybe also location - players don't want to head over to the US from Europe earlier than they need to?

Jurgen was in Newport yesterday for the doubles final. (or, was it Saturday?)

Bogie
07-17-2006, 07:55 PM
because the ride home is cheaper than it would be from the u.s.:mrgreen:

Max G.
07-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Jurgen was in Newport yesterday for the doubles final. (or, was it Saturday?)

D'oh. You know, since I used that as my evidence in the first post, I should have probably noticed that.

...good catch there, I feel stupid now :(

J-man
07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
So, there's a claycourt tournament this week, and I'm kind of surprised to see both Melzer and Mirnyi entered in it...

Melzer just got to the semis of Newport on grass, he's not really a slow-court player, so you'd think that he'd want to go from grass to hardcourts - but no, he's playing on clay this week.

And same with Mirnyi - I wonder why he would want to add in a tournament on clay before the hardcourt season, clay is certainly not his best surface! And it's not like he's there for the doubles with Bjorkman, he partnered with Gaudio (?!) and is unseeded...

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?Melzer grew up on clay courts. Do it's not like new territory for him.