PDA

View Full Version : Why Hingis retired???

zaqwsx
07-18-2006, 02:54 AM
I heard that the incident that really caused Martina to retire wasn't ankle problems but something that happened between her and Venus Williams on a practice court. Can anyone enlighten me???

HyperHorse
07-18-2006, 03:06 AM
Have u been living under a rock????
Hingis's chronic foot problems were caused by dodgy shoes from her then sponsor, Sergio Tacchini...
that's what caused her premature "retirement"....
Now she's with Adidas... she was bored with life, so she made a comeback?
big woopy doo...

zaqwsx
07-18-2006, 03:07 AM
That's not what i heard....

HyperHorse
07-18-2006, 03:14 AM
That's not what i heard....

what did you hear???
Venus Williams beat up Hingis to the ground and sat on her face???
whatever u heard, im sure it's a load of crap, and you're just naive...

zaqwsx
07-18-2006, 03:18 AM
You are along the right lines. I only asked as I wanted it confirmed.

HyperHorse
07-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Well im sure that's a total load of CRAP...
Hingis would never submit to anyone...
at the time that she took her break, she was obviously gettin burnt out mentally/physically.....
I dont know where u got your dodgy info from but im sure its CRAP...

zaqwsx
07-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Except her mother after the French Open Final in 1999. - and numerous other occasions.

Ballmachine
07-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Although some of you may not want to hear this, it is the truth. Martina Hingis retired for two reasons: 1) She couldn't handle the fact that she was no longer the best player in the world, still winning grand slams, and 2) After she came to that realization, she decided to make money by sueing her former shoe company Sergio Techini.

A couple of months before Martina returned to the WTA tour, she was playing World Team Tennis and was asked on several occassions if she would ever consider coming back to the main tour. She replied, on several occassions, and I am not making this up, that it would take a "medical miracle" for her feet to be healed so that she could complete on a full-time basis. In actuallity, the "miracle" that Martina was waiting for was an offer from Sergio Techini to settle the lawsuit. As soon as they paid her an undisclosed amount of money, she officially returned to the WTA tour and has not mentioned once, since her return, any problems with her feet.

These are the facts people whether you want to accept them or not.

Warriorroger
07-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Martina Hingis is a good player and an exciting player to watch. The reason she retired was mental. I have heel spur, and you don't get rid of it, you learn to live with it. There's no way she could recover from it and play amongst the top again and run all day. I believe she was in pain, but that wasn't the reason she stayed away IMO. She had a big mouth then and was only number one, cause Graf was severly injured in 1997. Hingis never had an advantage against the player she dismissed as old and has been. Graf was number one before the stabbing, and sadly due to the stabbing retained it, but Hingis was lucky that she got number one.

Hingis retired because she couldn't beat old Graf, and couldn't stand the attention the Sisters got.

siber222000
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
HyperHorse, stop being so condescending. You're not better than everyone.
haha that was good

punch
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
no kidding, chill out

emcee
07-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Martina Hingis is a good player and an exciting player to watch. The reason she retired was mental. I have heel spur, and you don't get rid of it, you learn to live with it. There's no way she could recover from it and play amongst the top again and run all day. I believe she was in pain, but that wasn't the reason she stayed away IMO. She had a big mouth then and was only number one, cause Graf was severly injured in 1997. Hingis never had an advantage against the player she dismissed as old and has been. Graf was number one before the stabbing, and sadly due to the stabbing retained it, but Hingis was lucky that she got number one.

Hingis retired because she couldn't beat old Graf, and couldn't stand the attention the Sisters got.

??? Hingis retired because...

1. She was hurt.
2. She was losing to the new power baseliners.

I don't think Graf had anything to do with it. Didn't Graf retire long before Martina did?

Alexandros
07-18-2006, 06:51 PM
warriorroger makes everything about Steffi Graf.

Roger Federer is only a male version of Graf.
Rafael Nadal is the male version of Gabriela Sabatini who competed against Graf.
Sliced backhands were invented by Graf.
Toasted cheese sandwich? Graf.

sandiegotennisboy
07-18-2006, 06:54 PM

Rafael Nadal is the male version of Gabriela Sabatini who competed against Graf.

muhahahha

Warriorroger
07-19-2006, 02:57 AM

You forget to mention I love Federer's feet.

Gost
07-19-2006, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE=Ballmachine]2) After she came to that realization, she decided to make money by sueing her former shoe company Sergio Techini.
/QUOTE]

This part of the story was most interesting. What kind of shoes should be to break her ankles? I mean, it's not a secret which special service top players gets from their sponsors, basically making custom made shoes fitting perfectly. I never belive tacchini soes had something related there helf problems. Wasn't really a nice move from her side towards sponsors supporting her.

HyperHorse
07-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Excuse me, but Sampras years ago had feet problems when he was wearing Sergio Tachinni, before switching to Nike...

TennisProPaul
07-19-2006, 08:01 AM

I bet graf makes a mean toasted cheese sandwich as a mommy.

emcee
07-19-2006, 08:26 AM
warriorroger and Vamosrafa should have a special Talk Steffi/Rafa forum just for them!

mctennis
07-19-2006, 08:27 AM
ballmachine you may be right about waiting til after the lawsuit. She tried to get Techini to redo her shoes before she retired. She was having foot pain then. He sued her because he said she was trying to get out of her contract. They has some wranglings and he said he would fix her shoes. The lawsuit was settled and no money exchanged hands. I believe by that time the damage was done to her feet. I believe I remember seeing she had surgery on both of her feet ( maybe feet and ankles..I can't remember). Then she retired. She was probably burnt out of tennis. Who wouldn't be at that young age NOT realizing how lucky she was. Then once she retired she wanted the competition again. She had enough money so that wasn't the issue. I know some say the competition was tougher. You can argue either side actually. The only one that really knows is Hingis herself. She won't say I'm sure. She actually di some hunter/ jumper competition with horses after she was healed up from her tennis injuries. She may have gotten the competition bug back when she competited with her horse. I enjoy seeing her play again. There is enough so-so tennis players out there that need not be in the pros maybe she can fill a void. How much fun is it to see a top 10 player beating the snot out of a 200+ player on TV? Boring. Just because the one player is a top 10 player doesn't make the match interesting.

Warriorroger
07-19-2006, 08:50 AM
warriorroger and Vamosrafa should have a special Talk Steffi/Rafa forum just for them!

amateur:rolleyes: