PDA

View Full Version : how not to rush 1st serve?

reddevil
03-04-2004, 02:09 PM
what can i do before serving to keep me in focus( to throw ball high ok, choose side etc...), i saw several players jump for alitle on a base line (karlovic for example) but it doesn't work for me if anyone has a some trick tell me. [/list]

Bungalo Bill
03-04-2004, 02:13 PM
I bounce the ball a little more, adjust my strings, bounce up and down - all at the same time. Just kidding! I will do one of these to settle down especially if I am playing someone who is a good returner. It can be unsettling when you think you have a good serve and the guy seems to have no problem with it. He seems to read your every move.

But I think the most important area often overlooked is to control your breathing. Take a deep breath and let it out. Getting oxygen in your blood has a soothing effect.

reddevil
03-04-2004, 02:21 PM
exactly, i think that i serve pretty well but usually in 2nd set i start to have this problem, maybe my serve should be more diverse but before season of everyday tennis begins i have to come with a plan thanks !

Bungalo Bill
03-04-2004, 03:08 PM
It could be your muscle stamina, or your focus, take a inventory on these areas as well.

vin
03-04-2004, 03:14 PM
I take a deep breath, hold it for a few seconds, and let it out slowly. Especially if I'm winded from a long point.

Verbal_Kint
03-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Get yourself a routine. For example, when you look at Sampras, he would bounce the ball once or twice, get his racket to the ball and raise both, and then start to serve. Becker would shuffle while ball and racket were touching and then start his motion. Get your own routine, this will get you into serving at a 'standard' tempo.

Marnix

jayserinos99
03-04-2004, 10:24 PM
all great tips. let me add that you should follow your tempo on your serve as well. many times you see the toss drop down more and the motion is rushed when things get tight. relax, take deep breaths and let your serves rip!

Cypo
03-05-2004, 01:49 AM
I found something recently that really helps - Bounce the ball on you racquet (up I mean in the air) and then soften your arm to let the ball 'die' on the strings, i.e. letting the string cradle the ball. Since you have to relax and focus to do this, it brings everything back into you.

Bungalo Bill
03-05-2004, 02:00 PM
exactly, i think that i serve pretty well but usually in 2nd set i start to have this problem, maybe my serve should be more diverse but before season of everyday tennis begins i have to come with a plan thanks !

I have been thinking about this and what you said. You know sometimes we can have a great serve but we also telegraph where we are going. In other words, once I have seen your serve enough, I can pick out little things in your shoulder turn, head lean, ball position, etc. to be able to pick up what part of the box your serving to. Once I know that, knowing what serve is coming is the easy part.

That could also be why your losing confidence with your serve. I know that I get in trouble when I feel like "HE JUST KNOWS". I struggle because that is when I rush or try different things which reall screw up my timing etc.

Maybe reverse it a little. If you serve a kicker down the T, remember returners have their little clues as well. If he likes to hit that ball crosscourt or hard up the middle - jot that in your mind and turn the tables on him. When your serving you need to also pay attention to his returns and what he likes to do with certain spins and ball placements.

kreative
03-05-2004, 03:20 PM
take a couple deep breaths, relax your muscles, then serve.

Simbah2004
03-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Take a deep breath before serving. Then, regardless of circunstances, bounce the ball the same number of times before tossing (1, 2, 3 times)every single time, until it becomes a habit. See how the pros usually have their own repetitions. An example that comes to mind is Maria Sharapova, although I think she kind of takes too long... But I don't mind watching her...

Radical Shot
03-20-2004, 02:34 AM
I think to myself.....what would Goran do right now....
________
penny stock pick (http://pennystockpicks.net/)