PDA

View Full Version : The SCUD wins Newport!

07-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Granted, Gimelstob isn't a big-league player, but I'm glad Mark got this result. I don't care that he's led an inconsistent life as an ATP Pro (tempted by money/fame/houses/cars/Anna K etc....) I love watching him hit the cover off the ball. Nobody's racquet/ball impact sounds like his! He must feel great about this win considering all injury setbacks he's had since 2004.

chiru
07-18-2006, 06:06 AM
newport is pretty much small scale, i mean murray is seeded no.1, so a win here is good but not great. id really like to see mark make a...well...mark on the uso and i really think with that monster serve he should be able to.

HyperHorse
07-18-2006, 06:10 AM
I hope he starts playing better now... for the sake of tennis in Australia...
getting bored of watching Lleyton, and we need another player for Davis Cup..

Fee
07-18-2006, 06:16 AM
There were already two threads on this.

J-man
07-18-2006, 06:18 AM
newport is pretty much small scale, i mean murray is seeded no.1, so a win here is good but not great. id really like to see mark make a...well...mark on the uso and i really think with that monster serve he should be able to.For him it's great!!!!!!!!!!!! I personally could care less about him. I never really liked him as a player. But I saw both of his matches (SF, F) and the longest rally in both was like 8 or 6 shots:lol:

arosen
07-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Poussis won something. Wow. Good thing they have a kindergarten tourney like Newport, so that he could feel like a champ once again. Put him in a hall of fame, it's around the corner anyway.

Gundam
07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
It's off topic but can anyone tell me how was the wimbledon final between Scud and Fed in 2003? Was it a good match?

Moose Malloy
07-18-2006, 09:43 AM
It's off topic but can anyone tell me how was the wimbledon final between Scud and Fed in 2003? Was it a good match?

Yes, it was high quality. Only 2 breaks of serve the entire match. Philippoussis was S&Ving 1st & 2nd serve entire match(& this was on slower, rye grass)

Its a shame he didn't continue to work hard after that effort, he should still be one of the favorites at Wimbledon(esp in todays weak era of grasscourt players)

arosen
07-18-2006, 08:02 PM
And so it goes, Scud loses another first round match. Welcome to the real world.

Gundam
07-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Yes, it was high quality. Only 2 breaks of serve the entire match. Philippoussis was S&Ving 1st & 2nd serve entire match(& this was on slower, rye grass)

Its a shame he didn't continue to work hard after that effort, he should still be one of the favorites at Wimbledon(esp in todays weak era of grasscourt players)

Thanks. How was Federer doing? I guess he was doing more S&V then now?:)

tangerine
07-19-2006, 09:35 AM
....and then crashes out in the first round at RCA.

Welcome back, Poohead.

Roy
07-21-2006, 02:33 AM
I think he was never able to fully utilise his talents....

AAAA
07-21-2006, 04:07 AM
There are still those who think Mark can regain his former pre-injury ranking. With his permanantly impaired knee there is no way he can do the necessary hours on the practice court and other physical training. Ditto Guga.

The ATP tour would be much better with the Mark and Guga of old but it isn't going to happen. They may still have a few great rounds in a slam but then they'd run out of steam or suffer a reoccurence of pain around their injured joints (knee for Mark, hip for Guga).