PDA

View Full Version : We'll all be wearing tennis pants in the future!

Colpo
07-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Check out some of the recent inseam lengths on Nike men's shorts. Last summer, Nike featured a 10" inseam on the short the pros wore during the US Open series (I don't know the names of these things). This year, the featured short sported by Federer until recently (now being liquidated by TW) has an 11" inseam (for most men, that covers your knee caps at rest). Now, Nadal's Wimbledon pant with the lightning strike geometric is actually SHORTER than his typical clam diggers, in that Nike considers it a short but with a 13" inseam. By my estimation, a 13" inseam "short" would fall 2" below the knee, or the upper regions of the shin - maybe that passes for a short at the West 4th St. summer b-ball league, but for tennis? Nadal's typical capri pant doesn't bother with an inseam length, 'cause it's not considered a short, so 13" is definitely something different.

Just wanted you all to know that somebody out here is watching this (disturbing? wonderful? jury's out?) trend by the imagemakers and styledefiners at Nike. It's funny, maybe we're not laughing that much at Rafa's pants anymore - there are at least 2 guys at my local courts who have no business wearing them but do wear them regularly. We'll all be playing in pants soon.

armand
07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
LMAO, you're the Seinfeld of the tennis world. Nice one.

Anyway, shorts are shorts so I'll never pay more than $10 for them so I guess that means that'll I'll be sticking with ones just above the knee. Just like I likes it.

MTXR
07-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I just paid 45 for some nike shorts and 35 for some.
Ouch to me.

tarheels2323
07-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I hope tennis pants don't replace shorts. I wear my cargo shorts down to my knees but tennis shorts just aren't meant to go down that far (same with soccer shorts).

Saito
07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry but I can't stand shorts the go below my knees. Granted they look right on some, it just makes me look like a ghetto B-ball player playing tennis. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's just not my dig.

http://images.putfile.com/smilies/006.gif

neo
07-19-2006, 01:53 AM
If they want to make longer shorts it is fine, but why there are no proper "shorter" shorts anymore?

jonolau
07-19-2006, 02:15 AM
If they want to make longer shorts it is fine, but why there are no proper "shorter" shorts anymore?
No wonder Reebok short shorts have been sitting in the bargain bins in sports shops here for $9 ... good for me because I prefer them over the bermuda length ones.

balongbalong
07-19-2006, 02:21 AM
shorter shorts are still available from 7 to 9 inch inseam.

but i'm delighted to see the length of the shorts getting longer again, just like during the mid to late 90s agassi shorts.

neo
07-19-2006, 07:53 AM
shorter shorts are still available from 7 to 9 inch inseam.

That's long shorts. 11-13 inch inseam are short pants. :)

SydneyJim
07-19-2006, 08:01 AM
hell no i'm not wearing that

slice bh compliment
07-19-2006, 08:09 AM
A vote for loose shorts just above the knee. Not shortshorts, and definitely not pants unless you are going to be sliding into second base a lot.

I am old enough to remember when inseams were shorter than the average johnson. Luckily, I was not yet fully grown in the 70's and early eighties, hahaha.

TennisProPaul
07-19-2006, 08:18 AM
the hip hop street idiots started the trend long ago with the shorts pulled down past the a s s . totally stupid looking with the boxers sticking out.

the trend slowly made clothes more baggy and longer.

nadal clam digger or pirate pants are cool. nadal used a medium size to make them tighter. i have a pair of med and extra large. the extra large go 1/2 past my shin.

When i play outside i try to cover up as much of my skin as possible to protect from skin cancer. some days i wear full long sun protection gear by http://sunprecautions.com

tennis players when outside should wear medical clothing to protect from sun. at least special hats that cover the ears and neck.

austro
07-20-2006, 01:47 AM
I like the Borg style short, fitting shorts. Wish I could find some of those somewhere...

Apparently there is a Fila store in MIlan that has all that retro gear (incl that pin-stripe thight shirt Borg used to wear). Anyone here been?

rasajadad
07-20-2006, 02:36 AM
All sports trying to be hip and cool will copy basketball. First tank tops, now extra long (and baggy) shorts. Soon you'll see high socks I'll bet. However, as long as scissors exist, my knees will be exposed!

themanwhocan243
07-22-2006, 09:35 AM
dude people don't be gay. ever look at the old bascketball pics. ya gay.

Janne
07-22-2006, 09:41 AM

What?

Ky0shiro
07-22-2006, 10:39 AM

How does that make you gay?

Django
07-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Last time I checked, Nike currently is selling "shorts" w/ 5.5, 7, 9, 10, 11 and 13 inch inseams. Trend? Pick one.

zhan
07-22-2006, 11:03 AM
this thread makes no sense...
if players want to wear old school style they can
if nadal wants to wear pirate pants he can too
people have freedom to wear whatever they want as long as the clothes dont interfere with freedoms of others

zhan
07-22-2006, 11:05 AM
i wear basketball length shorts...
its just how it goes...
i can go retro.. but i dont think it'll be comfy...

jonolau
07-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Bottom line: wear what you're comfortable with, so long as your jewels are covered and you have a pocket to place your balls.

Janne
07-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Bottom line: wear what you're comfortable with, so long as your jewels are covered and you have a pocket to place your balls.

zhan
07-22-2006, 11:22 AM

i'd not mind playing naked

jonolau
07-22-2006, 11:25 AM
i'd not mind playing naked
Hope you weren't one of the streakers at Wimbly this year ... ;)

zhan
07-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Hope you weren't one of the streakers at Wimbly this year ... ;)
:mrgreen:
i meant if i was playing with cute girls...
i'd not mind playing naked if they do the same
;)

Marat Safinator
07-22-2006, 01:21 PM
ok.......................................

TennisProPaul
07-22-2006, 01:48 PM

alrighty then

jonolau
07-22-2006, 07:45 PM
i meant if i was playing with cute girls...
i'd not mind playing naked if they do the same
;)
I heard that Hugh Hefner is short a player this weekend. However, the waitlist stretches 30 years back ... :mrgreen:

archangelkc
07-22-2006, 07:58 PM
I love the new nike 13" shorts. I have the white pair and the black pair. Yes they fall about 2-3 inches past the knee, but they don't look bad. They are very comfortable.

bleno567
07-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Sigh, i have to say that tennis apparel is going the way of basketball clothing. I think saying we are going to be wearing pants is dramatizing it. To me long shorts are just not that practical but they seem to be popular enough so who knows.

neo
07-23-2006, 05:09 PM
this thread makes no sense...
if players want to wear old school style they can
if nadal wants to wear pirate pants he can too
people have freedom to wear whatever they want as long as the clothes dont interfere with freedoms of others

I can't find the "short" shorts anymore.
This is what the thread is about.

zhan
07-23-2006, 05:13 PM
I can't find the "short" shorts anymore.
This is what the thread is about.
no...
they still sell "retro" style short shorts lol...
just pop culture isnt wearing/promoting that look...
(its gh3y)

Caswell
07-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Bring 'em back!

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/inc/2000/0705/photo/c_mcenroe2.jpg

jonolau
07-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Bring 'em back!

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/inc/2000/0705/photo/c_mcenroe2.jpg
Ha ha ha, the shorts or the hairstyle? It's hard to imagine Johnny Mac unsed to have a brush on his head! But he's got the attitude to carry it off ...

Caswell
07-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Both. And the wood racquets. Pushers can't play without their Weeds and Big Bubbas.

EDIT: And Pure Drives.

jonolau
07-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Bring 'em back!
These shorts are still being sold over here, but it's bought mainly by badminton players.

quest01
07-23-2006, 05:59 PM
I just paid 45 for some nike shorts and 35 for some.
Ouch to me.

I hope your good.

jonolau
07-23-2006, 06:19 PM
Sigh, i have to say that tennis apparel is going the way of basketball clothing. I think saying we are going to be wearing pants is dramatizing it. To me long shorts are just not that practical but they seem to be popular enough so who knows.
It's amazing how high profile endorsements can change trends and perceptions. From my personal experience, capris/pirate pants used to be the domain of women's fashion. Now it has become a unisex trend.

Short shorts used to be the norm for "real" men, but now are perceived by the younger crowd as being g.a.y.

Somehow, trends have a way of doing a full circle ... so, hold onto your hoard of short shorts because they could be back in fashion!

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Three years ago, I got points taken off on my USPTA test b/c my shorts were too long. Comment by tester was this is tennis, not basketball. Look at the length of Fed and Nadal's shorts now. Mine just went to the knee. I think a lack of diversity in style of tennis clothes keep certain types of athletes away from tennis. I think it is why some people see ours as a rich white man's sport IMO. Maybe we could attract kids from lower income neighborhoods who have traditionally played sports like basketball(USA), baseball(central america, dominican,usa) soccer (south america, europe) that have a less uptight tradition in their dress. You don't have to wear a white collarred shirt to go to a gym at a school or club to play basketball, for the most part. Also, kids want to look cool, no matter what the adults say, and all the ones I teach like sleeveless shirts, longer shorts, black shoes,etc. Why don't we cater to their tastes more to attract them to our game which so desperately needs players right, now.

AdvocateTDV
07-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey whatever y'all want to wear is fine, but all I know is I'm not gonna wear those capris and PICK MY BUTT on every changeover. =)

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey whatever y'all want to wear is fine, but all I know is I'm not gonna wear those capris and PICK MY BUTT on every changeover. =)
I'm wearin' mine right now;). Ha Ha Ha

jonolau
07-23-2006, 08:11 PM
You noticed that too, huh? My wife highlighted it to me during the Wimbly final and commented that he'd be better off wearing a G-string ... had me cracking up. I think his capris were just too tight.

neo
07-24-2006, 02:11 AM
no...
they still sell "retro" style short shorts lol...
just pop culture isnt wearing/promoting that look...
(its gh3y)

What do you mean "no..."?
I have been trying to buy them and can't find any.
99% of available models are long.

zhan
07-24-2006, 04:59 AM
What do you mean "no..."?
I have been trying to buy them and can't find any.
99% of available models are long.

order online then?
if ur young... dont do it... ur friends will go
ROFLMAO!!!!!
if ur old... ergh... young people will go
ROFLMAO!!!!
and u'll look like a weirdo still liviing in th 70s lol

stormholloway
07-24-2006, 05:08 AM
I wear vintage Fila and Tacchini clothing from the 70s/80s every time I go out. I occasionally wear Agassi spandex.

jonolau
07-24-2006, 05:14 AM
I wear vintage Fila and Tacchini clothing from the 70s/80s every time I go out. I occasionally wear Agassi spandex.
The department stores here are still selling Sergio Tacchini tennis shorts for about US$8. I'm currently wearing the white ones for tennis.

zhan
07-24-2006, 05:22 AM

ROFLMAO!!!

max
07-24-2006, 05:48 AM
I'm waiting for the tennis pajamas.

jonolau
07-24-2006, 05:57 AM
I'm waiting for the tennis pajamas.
From the court straight into bed!

neo
07-25-2006, 04:15 AM
order online then?
if ur young... dont do it... ur friends will go
ROFLMAO!!!!!
if ur old... ergh... young people will go
ROFLMAO!!!!
and u'll look like a weirdo still liviing in th 70s lol

Where did you get the idea that I wasn't trying to order online? And where did you get the idea that I was talking about 70s "no inseam" shorts? Do you actually read any of the messages before replying to them?

I prefer shorts with 3.5 - 4 inch inseam, and it is impossible to find them lately, online or offline. There are occasional models here or there, but no real choice.

I also play Table Tennis and it is impossible to play with anything longer then 4 inch as you constantly jump on bended legs and longer shorts cramp the movement. Because of this, no professional Table Tennis player ever uses longer then 3-4 inch shorts and yet in the latest Adidas Table Tennis competition collection the shorts are 7 inch! That's what I am talking about. Companies are deciding what we are going to wear, instead of leaving the choice to us.

jonolau
07-25-2006, 06:02 AM
I prefer shorts with 3.5 - 4 inch inseam, and it is impossible to find them lately, online or offline. There are occasional models here or there, but no real choice.
I do agree with you, neo. The short shorts with inseam are never sold as regular items on the rack. I always find them on sale in the bargain bins. When new stocks are brought in, I usually buy 4 pairs at a time. As I'm living in the tropics, it helps keep the body cooler.

slice bh compliment
07-25-2006, 06:19 AM
Where did you get the idea that I wasn't trying to order online? And where did you get the idea that I was talking about 70s "no inseam" shorts? Do you actually read any of the messages before replying to them?

I also play Table Tennis and it is impossible to play with anything longer then 4 inch as you constantly jump on bended legs and longer shorts cramp the movement. Because of this, no professional Table Tennis player ever uses longer then 3-4 inch shorts and yet in the latest Adidas Table Tennis competition collection the shorts are 7 inch! That's what I am talking about. Companies are deciding what we are going to wear, instead of leaving the choice to us.

I suppose you could go down a size. Or just buy your normal size and take the shorts to a tailor and get them adjusted. That would be cool, because it would remove the logo too.

jonolau
07-25-2006, 06:27 AM
I suppose you could go down a size. Or just buy your normal size and take the shorts to a tailor and get them adjusted. That would be cool, because it would remove the logo too.
Talking about removing the logo ... I tried unpicking it, took me forever, so I've only got one pair with no logo and lots of tiny holes where the logo used to be ... and you can still see the outline of the logo!