PDA

View Full Version : Information about the day to day of a pro

kicker75
07-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm currently working on a novel about pro tennis, and I was looking for anyone with strong insight on the day to day lives of a pro player (from #1 in the world to #50). Examples of info I'm looking for (but not limited to):

-what is the level of interaction in the locker rooms and what are the locker rooms like at the grand slam events?
-what are the usual accomodations/perks given to a top pro by a tournament and to what quality?
-what are some of the more interesting habits, quirks, rituals of players?

other insights outside of these questions are welcome. The more interesting, the better.

Thanks

Mr Harharwood
07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Have you already read all the blogs on the ATP site? That would be a good place to start.

Maybe you can write in your book about shoving wimbledon towels in your duffle bag before the ball boys take them.

As far as quirks and habits, a few I can think of is, Nadal picks his butt, adjusts his socks and has to have his water bottles lined up perfect, Agassi has to have the ball boys in perfect alignment and usually has a ball boy take the plastic bag off his racquet, Lendle used to pluck his eyebrows out between points. Baghdatis, bounces the ball between his legs before he serves. I can think of more if you need them.

rosen88
07-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Look on the official ATP website. They have got blogs from players at different tournaments.

edit: Sorry I did not se Mr Harharwood's post

//Rosen88

kicker75
07-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Have you already read all the blogs on the ATP site? That would be a good place to start.

Maybe you can write in your book about shoving wimbledon towels in your duffle bag before the ball boys take them.

Have read many of the blogs, interviews, documentaries, behind the scenes. Would like to get more of the info that maybe is not readily revealed.

migjam
07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Check out the Journeyman Tour DVD, it looks like it has some behind the scenes tour stuff.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-JOURNEYDVD.html

atatu
07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
You should watch the "Journeymen" DVD....

sureshs
07-18-2006, 12:53 PM
Search for one my threads. I had one on pro travel arrangements, etc.

tarheels2323
07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I would suggest reading the autobiographies of former touring pros. A great one to start with is McEnroe's You Cannot Be Serious. The best way to discover the daily life of a top touring pro is to hear it first hand (or as first hand as you can reasonably expect).

slice bh compliment
07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
kicker,
Is your novel about tennis? Who is publishing it?

Apply for media credential at some challengers and tour stops -- wherever you can get in is good. Hang around, make some friends. Maybe eat lunch and hit a few with the other hangers-on and press guys. Go to some post-match pressers. Hang out at the cafeteria and at the player hotel.
Write off the expenses.

Do this a lot. You will have plenty to write about.

callitout
07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
You should network to get to follow someone around whose on the challenger circuit and im sure theyll know someone on the main tour who you can speak to. Most guys at the challenger level would be flattered to have someone interested in their lives.

migjam
07-18-2006, 01:19 PM
I would suggest reading the autobiographies of former touring pros. A great one to start with is McEnroe's You Cannot Be Serious.

I agree, McEnroe's book is a great resource for behind the scenes info.

sureshs
07-18-2006, 01:20 PM
What kind of novel is it? Drama, mystery, romance ?

I want to write a screenplay for a tennis movie, but not like the horrible ones like Wimbledon or the other one that was more recent.

It will allude to appearance fees, perks for top players, wildcards for IMG clients, but that will be tangential. A couple of recreational players will also be thrown in.

I am thinking of a murder mystery set in a tennis resort adjacent to a tournament site while the tournament is going on. Recreational players in a travel group check in to watch the matches and also play some tennis, and start dying one by one, as also a couple of pro players. Several pro players are also staying at the resort and there is a history of rivalry between them. Agents, managers and trainers are all suspects too.

RealityPolice
07-18-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm currently working on a novel about pro tennis, and I was looking for anyone with strong insight on the day to day lives of a pro player (from #1 in the world to #50). Examples of info I'm looking for (but not limited to):

-what is the level of interaction in the locker rooms and what are the locker rooms like at the grand slam events?
-what are the usual accomodations/perks given to a top pro by a tournament and to what quality?
-what are some of the more interesting habits, quirks, rituals of players?

other insights outside of these questions are welcome. The more interesting, the better.

Thanks

Vince Spadea has a book coming out about life on the ATP Tour. You might check that.

Also, check out Michael Mewshaw's Ladies of the Court; although it's about the WTA, it has a lot of behind-the-scenes details like the ones you're looking for. (And it's a damn good read.)

I'd also recommend going to a tournament and just observing the players, especially outside of the match environment. Talk to some of the volunteers; watch the players on the practice courts. Just keep your eyes open, and you'll pick up a lot of details you won't get any other way.

For superstitions, read through some of the players' bios. Things like having lucky outfits and using the same shower through a whole tournament are pretty common. Iven Lendl used to bounce the ball three times before each first serve and twice before each second serve (my numbers are probably wrong, but you get the point). One of the Russian girls (Dementieva?) has to have her mother wish her luck before every match. Conchita Martinez had to use the same ball on every serve (and it drove the ballkids crazy).

Good luck!

Fee
07-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Volunteer for a tournament, that might get you more information that you're ready to handle...

Find a talkative player to become friends with, even if he's not ranked in the Top 50... ;)

slice bh compliment
07-18-2006, 07:27 PM
What kind of novel is it? Drama, mystery, romance ?

I want to write a screenplay for a tennis movie, but not like the horrible ones like Wimbledon or the other one that was more recent.

It will allude to appearance fees, perks for top players, wildcards for IMG clients, but that will be tangential. A couple of recreational players will also be thrown in....

murder mystery..... Agents, managers and trainers are all suspects too.

Dear Mister Suresh S.,
Hello. I would like to pay you to NOT write that screenplay. Contact my offices immediately for cash payment in the amount of one MILLion Dollahs.
Sincerely,
The Man,
the CEO of the ATP,
the USTA Board of Directors,
the Wimbledon seeding committee and the guy who makes the US Open draws each year.

FEDEXP
07-18-2006, 07:37 PM
sureshs,
a murder mystery, best of luck.......