PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Henin vs. Mauresmo: crappy match

ferrari_827
07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm puzzled why some people think this women's final match was a good one. Neither played well consistently, Henin played badly by her standards, lots of unforced errors, almost comical.

The level is *far below* last years' Davenport-Williams final. For two talented players with an all-court game, the match was disappointing.

Then I've heard people say this match was more entertaining and high quality than the Federer-Nadal final. These people obviously don't know anything about tennis.

tennisprofl
07-18-2006, 01:10 PM
it was fun to see which one would choke more...henin choked in the end

Arafel
07-18-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm puzzled why some people think this women's final match was a good one. Neither played well consistently, Henin played badly by her standards, lots of unforced errors, almost comical.

The level is *far below* last years' Davenport-Williams final. For two talented players with an all-court game, the match was disappointing.

Then I've heard people say this match was more entertaining and high quality than the Federer-Nadal final. These people obviously don't know anything about tennis.

Oh? You think the Fed-Nadal match was high quality, with Nadal shanking forehands all over the place, choking when serving for the second set at 5-4 etc.?

The Henin-Mauresmo final was entertaining, not the least because you actually got to see two players serve and volley, something the men's matches have been very short on over the last 5 years or so.

No, the tennis wasn't quite as good as last year's match between Davenport-Williams, but it was still good. I thought the third set in particular was well-played.

Neither the men's or women's matches were superb tennis from the get-go. They don't compare to some of the prior classics, like McEnroe-Borg in 80 or McEnroe-Connors in 82 or Graf-Novotna in 93.

But holding up Davenport-Williams as the standard and then complaining that this year's final didn't match it is like comparing EVERY men's final to the 80 Borg-McEnroe match. Davenport-Williams may be the best women's final ever, much like McEnroe-Borg sets the standard for the men.

Polvorin
07-18-2006, 02:11 PM
it was fun to see which one would choke more...henin choked in the end

Sad, but true. :mad:

Polvorin
07-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Oh? You think the Fed-Nadal match was high quality, with Nadal shanking forehands all over the place, choking when serving for the second set at 5-4 etc.?

Not to mention Federer trying to serve for the match the first time.

No, I doubt many would argue that either the men's or women's finals were high quality matches.

Moose Malloy
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
It was pretty amazing to see the women go to the net more than the men. I never thought I'd see that in my lifetime. makes you really wonder about the quality of mens grasscourt play these days.

cuddles26
07-18-2006, 03:33 PM
The womens final was much better tennis then the mens. The mens final featured Federer playing his worst match ever on grass perhaps, blowing easy forehands, hitting fluffy moonball forehand and weak chip backhands all day, serving and returning terrable all match but winning because he played such an overmatched opponent who was only in the final due to an easy draw. The womens final was a true battle with some very creative points from two very versatile players who are evenly matched.

Max G.
07-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, like it or not, I very much enjoyed the womens final, and turned the mens final off midway through because it wasn't that entertaining.

I personally thought that the womens final was significantly better, but I fully admit that that is partially because I like watching serve-and-volley and all-court tennis, which was the norm in that match.

NoBadMojo
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM

hahahahahaha...! what ridiculous things for someone to say

arosen
07-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Ferrari, arentcha a little late with your astute observations? Have you been watching that final frame by frame or something? Tell you what, I LOVED that final, even for the single fact that both girls S&Vd all the time for the first time since, like, forever. Mauresmo was nailing BH volleys in her last game, that takes guts, and she is not known for having plenty, so that's kind of awesome.

cricri
07-18-2006, 08:42 PM
The womens final was good. It may not have reached the level of the 2005 one, but still it was a good one with a lot of great points.

FEDEXP
07-18-2006, 10:45 PM
I didn't think the women's final was bad but I definitely wouldn't say it was better than the mens.

helloworld
07-18-2006, 10:47 PM
There were more choking in the men's final than the women's, therefore I conclude that the men's final is worse.

laurie
07-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Both players were going for their first Wimbledon title. You have to expect nerves when players are playing for a title of that magnitude. That's part of the package and what made it a good final, who could overcome that.

How can you watch a final and not expect nerves with such a big title on the line.

What made last year's final was the fact that Venus refused to lose and fought so hard. But all palyers suffer from nerves. Look what happened to Davenport against Serena in the 05 Aussie final.

Plus, look at the nerves going on in the men's final. Nadal would not have lost the first set so easily if he wasn't nervous. Then when serving for the second set, he made four errors. Then Federer served for the match and got broken, luckily for him there were two breaks to play with.

So the men get nervous too, so it's unfair for Ferrari to criticise the women when the same thing happened in the men's final, then accuse people of not knowing about tennis.

Gundam
07-19-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't think the final was a good match. I am glad Mauresmo won the title. But that said, it was a 'Who chokes less?' kind of match. None of them showed true champion's mental edge or desire (a la Seles or Graf). OK, they did some S&V but I wasn't that impressed overall. I was recording the match but stopped and used the tape for the men's final and mixed doubles final (liked it!)