PDA

View Full Version : Whose better at their primes, Gonzo or Scud?

Golden Retriever
07-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I think they are built similar, look similar and both play an all-or-nothing style so it could be interesting to compare them.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Scud, back in the days his serve was a force to be reckoned with.

armand
07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Scud, back in the days his serve was a force to be reckoned with.What exactly does that mean? The expression, I'm talking about. Would 'not to be reckoned with' be better?

Alexandros
07-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Philippoussis has a better serve and better volleys. Gonzalez moves better and has a marginally better forehand. Their backhands are about par. I'd say Philippoussis is better though, mainly because of his serve which earns him more free points.

hoosierbr
07-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Scud has made two GS finals. Whether or not Gonzo's style of play will allow him to get that far remains to be seen. Though he has made the QF's at three of the majors.

Moose Malloy
07-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Philippoussis obviously. Reached more grand slam finals, won more masters series, beat more top 10/5 players. Even in his old, out of shape, only playing challengers condition of the last year, he beat a seed at Wimbledon this year, serving 40 aces on "slow grass"

I think he's the biggest underachiever of the last 10 years.

Marat Safinator
07-18-2006, 03:10 PM
which masters series titles did mark win? I dont have much of a clue. did he win canada?

Moose Malloy
07-18-2006, 03:11 PM
He won one:1999 Indian Wells. Which is more than Gonzo has.

cuddles26
07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Gonzalez I saw play an almost perfect match vs Ljubicic in the quarters of Madrid Masters last year and still lose the match. He had about 1 unforced error in the 3rd set and still lost the match. I could never see Phillipousis play that perfectly and lose to a player like Ljubicic.

Moose Malloy
07-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Gonzalez I saw play an almost perfect match vs Ljubicic in the quarters of Madrid Masters last year and still lose the match. He had about 1 unforced error in the 3rd set and still lost the match. I could never see Phillipousis play that perfectly and lose to a player like Ljubicic.

How long have you been following tennis? Philippoussis beat many players a lot better than Ljubicic. To answer your question see Philippossis vs Safin at 2000 Paris Indoor. Hardly any errors, lost serve only once! yet still lost 7-6 in the 5th.

here's his career activity:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=&year=0&query=Singles&selTournament=0&player=P338&x=11&y=8

cuddles26
07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
How long have you been following tennis? Philippoussis beat many players a lot better than Ljubicic. To answer your question see Philippossis vs Safin at 2000 Paris Indoor. Hardly any errors, lost serve only once! yet still lost 7-6 in the 5th.

here's his career activity:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=&year=0&query=Singles&selTournament=0&player=P338&x=11&y=8

Ummm that was my point. Of course Philipousis has beat alot of players much better then Ljubicic. What I said was that Phillipousis could never play such a perfect match and be able to still lose to a player like Ljubicic, but Gonzalez obviously could since he did last year in the Madrid quarters. Safin in his prime was alot better then Ljubicic of course.

arnz
07-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Ummm that was my point. .

LOL...I guess he read too fast, or dyslexic like:mrgreen: