PDA

View Full Version : The best server of all time

helloworld
07-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Who is the best server of all time ? IMO, it is Pete Sampras.

croatian sensation
07-19-2006, 06:30 AM
Ivanišević.

Chuck
07-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Goran had a great serve, but for my money Sampras used his serve as an offensive weapon to either win the point outright with an ace or a service winner, or to set the point up in his favor better than anyone else.

Ivanišević
07-19-2006, 06:46 AM
KarloviĆ!!

Ivanišević
07-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Goran had a great serve, but for my money Sampras used his serve as an offensive weapon to either win the point outright with an ace or a service winner, or to set the point up in his favor better than anyone else.
It's all in the head of player... sampras had better concentaration, but ivanišević had a better serve (technically)

OrangeOne
07-19-2006, 06:52 AM
From another thread, Federer only hit 5 double-faults on the way to winning Wimbledon this year. That's mind-blowing, it means in (at least) 2 matches he didn't even hit 1 double-fault!

If only juniors understood that having a reliable 2nd-serve was infinitely more important than having a 10% bomb on your first serve....

bdawg
07-19-2006, 06:54 AM
it's either federer or nadal... let's debate :D

croatian sensation
07-19-2006, 06:55 AM
KarloviĆ!!

Oh, he's just got a good angle :) j/k

(I can't believe you betrayed your username :p )

chiru
07-19-2006, 08:17 AM
okay if we're talking all time, its frickin sampras. hes the only guy down 0-40 that i would still bet money that hes gonna hold that game. if you put a dime somewhere in the service box he could probably hit it. ivanisevic was ridic good (especially with that height advantage and lefty spin) but he didn't have the same mental toughness as sampras. sampras new when to use his serve, like a second serve ace down break point, not exactly what ivanisevic was known for, more like down break point hitting a double.

oscar_2424
07-19-2006, 08:29 AM
my vote goes to Pete Sampras

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-19-2006, 08:33 AM
1. Sampras
2. Roddick
3. Goran

-k-

Arafel
07-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Well, I'd have to say Sampras and McEnroe. When McEnroe was on, his serve was absolutely deadly. He'd hit a can-opener to the ad court that had the returner in the seats trying to hit it back. It was so lethal because he had both tons of spin and lots of pace. The slice aspect gave him time to get into the net and use his amazing hands to put the ball away.

Tennis guy from NorCal
07-19-2006, 09:04 AM
guillermo coria

helloworld
07-19-2006, 09:08 AM
guillermo coria
Yeah, more like the best double faulter of all time...

Sebastien
07-19-2006, 09:16 AM
To be the greatest you have to be consistant.
The most consistant of all, the one that can make it happen when he needs a big serve is Pete Sampras. Then come "Boom Boom" Boris Becker, very consistant as well and quite powerful for the time. I would give the 3rd place to Ivanisevic because of his ace record. I would give the choloocat medal to Andy Roddick because he has the current fastest serve, but if he was the greatest he would use his serve and be at least in the top5 player.

07-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Pete
Goran
Roger
Richard Kraijicek
Andy
Johnny Mac
Roscoe Tanner
The Scud

slice bh compliment
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Pete. Goran. Boris. Stich. Krajicek. Tanner. Roddick. Eric Korita. Chip Hooper. Steve Denton. Kevin Curren. John Feaver. Johnny Mac, Ashe, Smith, Nasty and Borg in a weird way.

And of course, a mention for the old dudes:
Pancho Gonzales' serve struck fear in the hearts of professionals.
Jack Kramer could nail a coin suspended above the net. And his second serve was basically unnattackable. Is that even a word? Unassailable, then. Okay, impenetrable.

But is that my final answer?
No.
Big Bill Tilden gets ready to close out a match. He walks from the chair and smiles at the ballboy for whatever reason. Gets two balls, nods three times for three more pelotas. With five balls in his massive left hand, he steps up to the baseline.
Ace. 15 love.
Ace. 30 love.
Ace. 45 love.
Ace. Game set and match, Tilden.
He launches the fifth ball in to the crowd.

Greatest server ever.

Ivanišević
07-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Pete. Goran. Boris. Stich. Krajicek. Tanner. Roddick. Eric Korita. Chip Hooper. Steve Denton. Kevin Curren. John Feaver. Johnny Mac, Ashe, Smith, Nasty and Borg in a weird way.

Jack Kramer could nail a coin suspended above the net. And his second serve was basically unnattackable. Is that even a word? Unassailable, then. Okay, impenetrable.

No.
Big Bill Tilden gets ready to close out a match. He walks from the chair and smiles at the ballboy for whatever reason. Gets two balls, nods three times for three more pelotas. With five balls in his massive left hand, he steps up to the baseline.
Ace. 15 love.
Ace. 30 love.
Ace. 45 love.

Greatest server ever.
45 love?:)

slice bh compliment
07-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Best serve, excellent guy division: Roger, Ashe, Yannick, Rafter and Edberg.

Best serves -- shorter guy division: Rod Laver.

slice bh compliment
07-19-2006, 09:37 AM
45 love?:)

In the olden days, it was 45....like on a clock face. 45 got shortened to 40.
These days, often 15 gets shortened to 5.

Lee
07-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Why ain't nobody mentioning FEDERER??? I LOVE HIS SERVES!

chaognosis
07-19-2006, 10:36 AM

No.
Ace. 15 love.
Ace. 30 love.
Ace. 45 love.

Greatest server ever.

Tilden certainly had the finest serve ever seen up to that time. For the greatest server of all time, on his day, I put my money on Ellsworth Vines -- very likely the most formidable "cannonball" in tennis history. Vines however was known for his inconsistency as well as for his power, so it might be inappropriate to dub someone the "greatest" who could not consistently summon his best.

urban
07-19-2006, 10:39 AM
They have clips of the serves of Tilden and Vines on www.histoiredutennis.com
in the biographie-section and the Grand Slam episodes.

slice bh compliment
07-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Tilden certainly had the finest serve ever seen up to that time. For the greatest server of all time, on his day, I put my money on Ellsworth Vines -- very likely the most formidable "cannonball" in tennis history. Vines however was known for his inconsistency as well as for his power, so it might be inappropriate to dub someone the "greatest" who could not consistently summon his best.

Wow, Elly Vines. Good call. Skinny, lanky, looking guy with huge game. Michael Stich only with major league results.
I've only seen him on the Kings of the Court video. Great golfer as well.
I've got an old Wilson racquet that bears his name. It's got a screw loose. Literally. I'm scared to re-string it, but I swear I could hit a huge serve with that thing.

slice bh compliment
07-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Why ain't nobody mentioning FEDERER??? I LOVE HIS SERVES!

Yeah, me too, Lee. He was mentioned in post no's. 16 and 19.
Trouble is, Fedi brings so much to the court, his serve often is overlooked.

urban
07-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Maybe the best leftie serve was that of Neale Fraser. Hoad said, that it was better than Pancho's serve. I only saw him past his prime in the Wim doubles final 1973 with John Cooper vs. Connors/ Nastase. He was the best player on court and was never broken, although Jimbo and Nasty wer not exactly bad at the return.

Rabbit
07-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Pancho Gonsalez had the best serve IMO.

wimble10
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
my favorites:

Sampras -- perfect blend of power and control
Edberg -- fluid: spin and control
Becker -- huge kick and the boomer
Lendl -- big power and placement

Jack the Hack
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
my favorites:

Sampras -- perfect blend of power and control
Edberg -- fluid: spin and control
Becker -- huge kick and the boomer
Lendl -- big power and placement

What he/she said... Lendl's serve was mechanical (like the rest of his game), but I liked his precision power. Of the current players, I would add Federer to this list for his effectiveness with placement and mixing up speeds.

wimble10
07-19-2006, 12:08 PM
What he/she said... Lendl's serve was mechanical (like the rest of his game), but I liked his precision power. Of the current players, I would add Federer to this list for his effectiveness with placement and mixing up speeds.

Yes, Lendl's serve was a huge weapon in his time. His racquet seemed very clunky and his volleys weren't great. His second serve was quite powerful and hard to attack. It didn't have as much kick/spin as other servers and probably less than McEnroe's. McEnroe had the huge lefty advantage on his serve, plus all the bite and pop he could impart on the ball. Toward the end of his career it wasn't enough to compete with quicker players. Federer's serve is similar to McEnroe's, except Federer's is more powerful.

The Pusher Terminator
07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Pete Sampras!!!!!!!!!!!

ACE of Hearts
07-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Pete Sampras no doubt, although it took a strain on his back.

sotua
07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Who is the best server of all time ? IMO, it is Pete Sampras.

Sampras. The bomb first serve, and the just slightly less bomby second serve, with ridiculous quantities of heavy spin, that rarely if ever failed him at clutch points.

Andres
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
My Top3.

Goran Ivanišević: The greatest 1st serve of all time. At least, the best serve as a weapon.

Pete Sampras: The greatest 2nd serve of all time.

Richard Krajicek: The guy had it all ;)

Andres
07-19-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Michael Stich. So beautiful and yet, so efficient ;)

Let's add some more:

Most intimidating serve: Ivo Karlović. The look on Haas' face while playing him on clay was priceless. You know you're getting lots of aces, and it doesn't matter if they're 1st serves or 2nd serves. It's just not funny when you're on the other side of the net.

Honorable mention to Chris Guccione and Joachim Johansson.

Best 2nd serve: Wesley Moodie. 100/110 mph serves, with a huge kick. Rarely double faults, and his height helps him a lot at finding angles.

Best Kickserve: Ivo Karlovic. The height of the bounce is just insane, and UNSEEN ever before. I saw a kickserve, on hard, that bounced OVER Roddick's head, and he's 6'2''. And the pace is amazing!

Fastest serve atm: Chris Guccione. Lefty, 6'7'', with bombs well over 140 mph. He had a 136 mph first serve AVERAGE on Davis Cup this year, and clocked at 152 and 154 mph as well in that match, ON CLAY, and 32 or 37 aces, I can't remember.

Best server below 6 feet: Daniele Bracciali. 130-140 mph blasts. Real bomber at 5'11''. Honorable mention to Thomas Johansson and Thomas Kiefer.

Best serve overall: Right now, it GOT to be Karlovic.

slice bh compliment
07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned Michael Stich. So beautiful and yet, so efficient ;)....

Absolutely bro'. Just perfect. I mentioned him in post no. 17.
How's it goin'?

BTW, good call on Bracciali, Thomas Johansson and Nicolas Keifer. Average height, but large serves.

I think Marco's got a big gun for a guy who is not very tall.

35ft6
07-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Sampras, hands down. Other guys may have been more dangerous when they were "on" but by that standard a guy like Petr Korda could be said to be the GOAT. Sampras' serve was money.

Marat Safinator
07-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Ivanisevic is the best server. As for sampras, he is the second best.

best server right now is Karlovic.

quest01
07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Pete Sampras i believe has the best serve of all time, first and second serve.

35ft6
07-19-2006, 05:26 PM
best server right now is Karlovic. The stats at atptour.com would seem to agree. Ljubicic is arguably the second best server.

Richie Rich
07-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Fastest serve atm: Chris Guccione. Lefty, 6'7'', with bombs well over 140 mph. He had a 136 mph first serve AVERAGE on Davis Cup this year, and clocked at 152 and 154 mph as well in that match, ON CLAY, and 32 or 37 aces, I can't remember.
too bad the rest of his game sucks - he's around 220 in the world.

Ano
07-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Sampras!!

John Yandell said that Sampras averaged 120 mph and 2500 rpm on his first serves. Thats's the best ratio of speed and spin, and that was the reason why Sampras hit so many unreturnable serves.

Bogie
07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
my top 5 in no particular order whatsoever: sampras, philippoussis, rafter, joachim johansson, ivanisevic

clayman2000
07-19-2006, 08:42 PM
i have to say................elena dementiavalol...no easily karlovic.....and roddick

maynardsson55
07-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Sampras, Ellsworth Vines and I'll take Edberg's kicker.

Tennis guy from NorCal
07-19-2006, 11:33 PM
I go with Steve Sampras too

jukka1970
07-20-2006, 01:16 AM
This is one place, I'll give credit where it's due to Sampras. He definitely had the best serve, could get himself out of almost any situation with it, and was accurate with it.

deluxe
07-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Sampras!!

John Yandell said that Sampras averaged 120 mph and 2500 rpm on his first serves. Thats's the best ratio of speed and spin, and that was the reason why Sampras hit so many unreturnable serves.

No. Roddick is hitting 140mph first serves also with 2500rpm and hits far fewer unreturnables. The most outstanding features of Sampras' serve are disguise (down the T and out wide look identical until 2/100ths of a second before contact, different spins from an identical toss) and placement.

vive le beau jeu !
07-20-2006, 02:09 AM
more than 1600 aces in 1996...

... goran of course !!! :D

helloworld
07-20-2006, 02:59 AM
No. Roddick is hitting 140mph first serves also with 2500rpm and hits far fewer unreturnables. The most outstanding features of Sampras' serve are disguise (down the T and out wide look identical until 2/100ths of a second before contact, different spins from an identical toss) and placement.
exacty :D

0d1n
07-20-2006, 05:25 AM

Agreed deluxe couldn't have said it better myself :).
I would say...from recent years:
1. Sampras (sooooooooo consistently big and difficult to return)
2. Ivanisevic (mr. Ace)
3. Becker
4. Krajicek
5. Stich (as some of you have said ...probably the most elegant ...like his whole game really ...)

From the guys currently playing I would say Federer and the 3 Croatians :) (you know who ...).
Rodick is not on my list and will probably never be as his serve will never be as efficient as Federer's even if it would have +50 mph. His serve is BIG ...NOT GOOD. In fact most of his shots are lacking technique (I'm not saying I would beat him ...for all the fanboys out there ...but we are talking about professionals here ...not occasional players).
Thanks,
me :).

Andres
07-20-2006, 09:50 AM
more than 1600 aces in 1996...

... goran of course !!! :D
Don't exaggerate, my friend ;)
The ace record is 1477, by Goran. Nowhere near 1600 ;)

vive le beau jeu !
07-20-2006, 10:03 AM
ummm i already saw that number too...
but i think i read it was without counting davis cup and gran slam cup matches. i'm going to check it !
does anybody else remember about a 1600-something number ?...

Ano
07-20-2006, 08:26 PM

According to Yandell in his website www.tennisplayer.net , Roddick averaged 130 mph and 2400 rpm on his first serves. Sampras averaged 118 mph and 2500 rpm on his first serves.

vkartikv
07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Pete Sampras, Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg. There is only one man who can serve 2 130 mph aces and 2 consecutive double faults immediately after that- Mr. Goran...

vive le beau jeu !
08-05-2006, 09:26 AM
ummm i already saw that number too...
but i think i read it was without counting davis cup and gran slam cup matches. i'm going to check it !
does anybody else remember about a 1600-something number ?...
in my quest of the ultimate truth, i counted the aces indicated in the stats of ATPtennis.com :
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=&year=1996&query=Singles&selTournament=0&player=I034&x=19&y=12
(i know... i'm crazy !)
and i'm arriving at... 1449 !

but several stats are missing :

1. his 3rd round win (76 75 63) over volkov at wimbledon... this one should make it until the 1477 aces.

2. stats are absent for :
- his 2 davis cup matches
- his (lone) olympic games match (a loss, unfortunately)
- his 4 gran slam cup matches

so i wouldn't be surprised if the real total of aces is around 1600 !
QED. :cool:

Andres
08-05-2006, 10:36 AM
1600 ... *drools*

paulmaben
08-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Don't forget John Sadri's serve. He could bash it.

ATXtennisaddict
08-05-2006, 12:02 PM
I go with Steve Sampras too
:rolleyes:

ckthegreek
08-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Pete Sampras gets my vote too. Beautiful textbook action, amazing consistency and accuracy. A true weapon.

Saito
08-05-2006, 03:09 PM
it's either federer or nadal... let's debate :D

lol good one :lol:

My vote goes to.....

Dementieva http://www.houston-imports.com/forums/images/smilies/hitit.gif

FREDDY
08-05-2006, 09:25 PM
federer hands down. he uses his serve. its not the biggest but thats the part of this serve that makes it good. it sets him up for the point.

Phillip=Tennis guy
08-05-2006, 09:32 PM
nadal, roddick,federer,sampras.

TrueAce
08-05-2006, 09:52 PM
this isn't really debatable. Sampras is and will always be the best. The highest speed to spin ratio ever...

altodds
08-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Tilden,Colin Dibley,Roscoe Tanner, Pete Sampras, JMc,Goran, Rusedski, Rafter(kickserve),Agassi(2nd serve),Ivan lendl...

helloworld
08-06-2006, 02:33 AM
IMO Sampras, no doubt. I watched his past matches and realized how tremendous his serve was.