PDA

View Full Version : Best forehand of all time

Steven87
07-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Lets Get It Oooon

MirkoMecir
07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Lets Get It Oooon
00's: Roger Federer - incredible racquet head speed and control. He can vary the spins, generate pace, create sick angles, and hit with precision.

90's: Andre Agassi - revolutionized the game with his hitting on-the-rise. Nothing but "a haircut and a forehand" according to Ivan Lendl.

80's: Ivan Lendl - ushered in the power game with his lethal forehand, esp. on the run.

70's: Bjorn Borg - started the extreme western grip trend, I think. Incredible spin and passing shots, even with them woody racquets.

newnuse
07-19-2006, 12:42 PM
I lean towards Agassi as having the biggest forehand of all time.

On the women's side, Hingis has the biggest forehead of all time.

unjugon
07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
It´s funny, I never considered Agassi´s forehand as great, let alone one of the best.

I have always thought his backhand was a better and safer shot, myself.

Steven87
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Ivan Lendl is a snob, he has no right to judge players that way.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Courier

-k-

migjam
07-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Thomas Muster.

typingchamp
07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Steffi Graf. Her ability to hit the forehand late and generate extra power inspired a generation of players (like me).

Men's . . . Federer . . . so much variety. I like Nadal's as well for it's ridiculous amount of spin. Sampras' on-the-run forehand was good (but both Nadal AND Federer have better on-the-run shots).

So yeah, my answer again was Federer for men. Steffi by a LONG shot for women. In fact, the women's game seems to be dominated by backhands lately. The Williams' sisters, Hingis, Clijsters, Henin-Harden, Sharapova . . . all have extremely consistent backhands . . . and forehands that can at time dominate but at other times can hit five straight errors. Seems like a strange trend in women's tennis.

omniexist
07-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Sampras' on-the-run forehand was good (but both Nadal AND Federer have better on-the-run shots).

I disagree.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
07-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Moya & Federer................

And I think Samps running forehand had more power and winner capability than feds against baseliners, but I don't know about when people were at the net, because fed can pass anyone on the run.

I prefer not to mention Nadal's name. He is a lefty, so he doesn't count

chaognosis
07-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Lets Get It Oooon

There have been many players with formidable forehands: Federer, Sampras, Lendl, Borg, Laver in modern times; Hoad, Kramer, Budge, Vines, Tilden before them. Some cite Fred Perry's unorthodox "table tennis" forehand as the most effective of its era, if not of all time. Kramer himself called Pancho Segura's two-handed forehand the single greatest shot in the history of tennis.

sandiegotennisboy
07-19-2006, 06:25 PM
graf does in women's, cant argue

men's---agassi circa early 90's. everyone wanted that inside out. woot

Ano
07-19-2006, 06:30 PM
00's: Roger Federer - incredible racquet head speed and control. He can vary the spins, generate pace, create sick angles, and hit with precision.

90's: Andre Agassi - revolutionized the game with his hitting on-the-rise. Nothing but "a haircut and a forehand" according to Ivan Lendl.

80's: Ivan Lendl - ushered in the power game with his lethal forehand, esp. on the run.

70's: Bjorn Borg - started the extreme western grip trend, I think. Incredible spin and passing shots, even with them woody racquets.

I agree with you. But the best of all time: Ivan Lendl. For woman : Steffi Graf.

35ft6
07-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Federer probably has the best forehand I've seen. Seems like he almost never has to use it defensively. It's unbelievable reliable considering how difficult some of his offensive shots are, offensive shots which would be considered pretty risky coming off the racket of a less gifted ball striker.

BabolatFan
07-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Agassi and Courier for their big power hits and Federer's got the most versatile and best-looking forehand of all time.

Bassus
07-19-2006, 06:39 PM
My vote goes to Federer for an overall forehand, though I do think Sampras' running forehand was the best of that variety.

tarheels2323
07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Everyone mentioned had a great forehand but the question posed concerns the single best forehand in history. That honor must be bestowed upon Roger Federer.

dannyjjang
07-19-2006, 06:44 PM
ivan lendll...that guy is one powerful dude

quest01
07-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Federer has the best forehand ever. He has the power and variety on his forehand side.

clayman2000
07-19-2006, 07:32 PM
federers forhand is simply unmatched....in my opinion...the only one who can beat fed in a forhand battle is nadal...fed just puts way to much spin, power,and accuracy into his shot

tennisboy87
07-19-2006, 07:48 PM
I'd say Federer has the best forehand of all-time.

maynardsson55
07-19-2006, 07:51 PM
A little early to say, but Fed said Nadal's was the hardest shot in tennis to read. It's a different shot than what we think of as a great forehand, though. I always thought Courier. He won matches with almost just his forehand sometimes.

The Grand Slam
07-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Of this generation, I think Federer for right-handers and Nadal for left-handers.

bcaz
07-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Ivan Lendl

urban
07-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Oldtimers say Bill Johnstons western grip forehand was a killer. Perry modelled his after Cochet with hitting early. Vines' swinging forehand was a classic. Segura's doublehander was tough to read. Lendl was the great influcence for the modern game: dominant forehand with inside out hitting.

rafael nadal
07-20-2006, 12:55 AM
:cool: rafael nadal :cool:
any1 hoo says he defensive get lost:mad:

Polvorin
07-20-2006, 01:21 AM
My vote goes to Federer for an overall forehand, though I do think Sampras' running forehand was the best of that variety.

Exactly. :mrgreen:

helloworld
07-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Nadal = heavy topspin + high percentage + very hard to read
Fed = variety + power + accuracy
choose one ? I'll go with Federer. His forehand looks more beautiful.

0d1n
07-20-2006, 04:36 AM
Best of the modern era (with the modern rackets) is Federer (for variety+power+spin blend).
I won't go into debates about great players from the past using woodies ...because they are not comparable really.

I can't understand people who say Agassi's FH was HUGE...very big ...etc because it WASN'T/ ISN'T.
Sampras had a far bigger forehand (I would have chosen him but he doesn't have Fed's variety/spins).
If anything...if you want to take a "Agassi type player" who was hitting the ball harder ...take Kafelnikov ^^.
Agassi was winning with well timed early taken balls and directional control ...not raw POWER !

cuddles26
07-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Ivan Lendl.

35ft6
07-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I can't understand people who say Agassi's FH was HUGE...very big ...etc because it WASN'T/ ISN'T. It WAS huge. When he came on the scene McEnroe said nobody had ever hit the ball that hard at him, and this from a guy who got beaned by Lendl a few times. Back when he broke out, he was the hardest hitter in the game. Maybe Becker could occasionally unload one off the forehand side harder than anything Agassi could produce, but on a shot by shot basis, off BOTH sides, Agassi was a new type of player in how hard he hit EVERY shot. People forget that Agassi used to be a more talented version of Gonzo, that he really toned down his game in the past 10 years. But with that said, most knowledgeable people agree that Agassi's backhand is his true money shot.

MARK ANDERS
07-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Enqvist is right up there!

cuddles26
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
It WAS huge. When he came on the scene McEnroe said nobody had ever hit the ball that hard at him, and this from a guy who got beaned by Lendl a few times. Back when he broke out, he was the hardest hitter in the game. Maybe Becker could occasionally unload one off the forehand side harder than anything Agassi could produce, but on a shot by shot basis, off BOTH sides, Agassi was a new type of player in how hard he hit EVERY shot. People forget that Agassi used to be a more talented version of Gonzo, that he really toned down his game in the past 10 years. But with that said, most knowledgeable people agree that Agassi's backhand is his true money shot.

I agree that Agassi`s forehand was huge but that his backhand was even better then his forehand.

Sampras, Federer, Nadal, have the three best forehands I have seen in the last 15 years in no particular order. That is not counting Lendl who was at the end of his career then of course.

35ft6
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm surprised !Tym hasn't chimed in with Berrusategi [sic?]. :)

cuddles26
07-20-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm surprised !Tym hasn't chimed in with Berrusategi [sic?]. :)

Berasategui had a great forehand too most of all on clay, but also quite good on hard courts. He hit it with the strangest grip I have ever seen though. He was funny to watch.

fastdunn
07-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't think I've ever seen better overall forehand than Federer's in about
20 years of following professional tennis although his running forehand
is surprisingly mediocre in terms of Federer's standard.
But in terms of overall accuracy, variety and power, it is unreal weapon.

stormholloway
07-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Laver had a wicked forehand, but alas many have never seen it. Lendl's and Federer's are probably the best in modern times. I think they're tied. Courier honorable mention.

Agreed with those who said Agassi's backhand is better than his forehand. I dare anyone to go backhand to backhand with Andre in his prime.

Ronnie7
07-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Agassi.

And I'm surprised no one here mentioned 2003 Roddick's FH. Gotta give him credit.

Zeph
07-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Easily federer,

Nadal's forehand is good on the clay surface, but doesnt excel on other courts. The reason why he can still play well on any surface is because of his energy, will, and mental stability.

He has a wild forehand that if most people tried to mimic, they would hurt their wrists, and not long from now, when nadal begins to age, his wrist wont be able to take the extreme action he puts on it.

Mikael
07-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Enqvist is right up there!

Hehe Right on Mark! Enqvist had a badass forehand.

rod99
07-20-2006, 03:38 PM
i disagree with people who say agassi's backhand was better than in his forehand (though both were very good). agassi's backhand gets a lot of respect b/c it's better than virtually everyone else's backhand and that's why he almost always wins backhand to backhand rallies. he also hits the down the line backhand very well. however, i still say his forehand is his money shot, especially his inside out forehand which he took to a new level (from where lendl left off). his forehand has more pace and i think it's more consistent, since i've seen agassi really off on his backhand from time to time, resulting in a lot of misshits when he's not in position.

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 03:44 PM
el aynaoui had one hell of a forehand.

35ft6
07-20-2006, 04:24 PM
i disagree with people who say agassi's backhand was better than in his forehand (though both were very good). I'm pretty sure Gilbert AND Agassi have both said that his backhand is "better." By "money" I mean it's sort of the foundation of his game. You're right, his forehand is probably bigger and more of a pre-emptive weapon, but almost everybody's forehand these days is a weapon. It's almost a given that a top 100 pro has a big serve and forehand.

Same thing applies to me, my forehand is more of a weapon, but my slice backhand is my money shot. It's always there. It does most of the work so that my forehand can deliver the knockout blow. Ugh.

zhan
07-20-2006, 04:25 PM
rafael nadal forehand...
massive topspin

stormholloway
07-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Lendl would just camp on the left side of the baseline and whack forehands all day. His and Federers are the best.

Roddick is too tight with his forehand. Sure there's a lot of action but he doesn't utilize physics as well as he does with his serve.

Safin's forehand ain't too shabby. Haven't heard anyone mention his.

lacoster
07-20-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm too young to have seen Lendl play, so I can't vouch for him. But among certain grips, I would have to say...

Continental: Graf (she started the abbreviated follow-thru)
Eastern: Sampras (unexpected winners off the run)
SW: Federer (gorgeous - nuff said)
Western: Nadal (so much action on the ball)
Hawaiian: Berasategui (nice to watch something that different)

I felt Agassi's backhand, which was more consistent, was better than his forehand.
________
Ford of britain specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_of_Britain)

joesixtoe
07-20-2006, 07:49 PM
i think forehands these days are better because of the technology. look at blake's forehand, that thing is awsome,, federer's is unbelievable as well. but people these days roll there wrist over, and with that it is much easier to get those angles, and winners from awkward positions. so to compare forehands, as well as talent from different era's is just pretty much a waste of time.

also agassi has a great backhand, but in no way shape or form is it better than his forehand. his backhand sets up his forehand. he even thinks his forehand is his weapon. well atleast from this video i saw of him, he said that lol,, but this was back in 91 i think lol.

scotus
07-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Agassi's forehand was huge, but I would say Courier's forehand was even bigger.

Agassi's forehand was like a pistol, extremely flashy, fast, and usually hit on the rise. But Courier's forehand was like a cannon. He could hold it till the last moment, and once he fired the forehand, it simply blew away his opponent. You could in fact hear it "thunder" (I am telling you from experience when I watched him play at a tournament held at UCLA). Not many people could come up with a good reply against his forehand.

In a way, I feel that Agassi's forehand lost some of its juice when he began to take the "Winning-Ugly" approach to the game. He switched to a consistent, meat-and-potato way to breaking down his opponents.

While he won a whole lot more matches using this method, he stopped hitting those huge forehands. Over time, I think this caused his forehand to slow down somewhat.

0d1n
07-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Agreed with those who said Agassi's backhand is better than his forehand. I dare anyone to go backhand to backhand with Andre in his prime.

Like I said before ...Kafelnikov :rolleyes:.

0d1n
07-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Agassi's forehand was huge, but I would say Courier's forehand was even bigger.

Agassi's forehand was like a pistol, extremely flashy, fast, and usually hit on the rise. But Courier's forehand was like a cannon. He could hold it till the last moment, and once he fired the forehand, it simply blew away his opponent. You could in fact hear it "thunder" (I am telling you from experience when I watched him play at a tournament held at UCLA). Not many people could come up with a good reply against his forehand.

In a way, I feel that Agassi's forehand lost some of its juice when he began to take the "Winning-Ugly" approach to the game. He switched to a consistent, meat-and-potato way to breaking down his opponents.

While he won a whole lot more matches using this method, he stopped hitting those huge forehands. Over time, I think this caused his forehand to slow down somewhat.

Might have been a pistol vs a cannon like you say (I don't agree ...but that's just me), but Agassi's FH is an example you can give to kids on how to play the game (so are Sampras', Federer's, Graf's and a number of other people mentioned here). Courier's, Berasategui's or Rodick's are NOT ! They are the kind of forehands that just worked for THEM (Rodick's less than the other two :) ) ...but you wouldn't want your son to use their technique (or lack of technique if I may say so).

Roy
07-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Fed
Nadal
Agassi

Condoleezza
07-21-2006, 12:48 PM
It´s funny, I never considered Agassi´s forehand as great, let alone one of the best.

I have always thought his backhand was a better and safer shot, myself.

He was joking.
His mentioning Hingis gave him away easily.

Condi

Grigollif1
07-21-2006, 01:43 PM
As far as being Huge on sheer Power : James Blake in my view has on of the Best one. I'm surprised no one has mention him.

Best overall versitale Forehand: Power, Spin, placement , consistency.. problably: Roger Federer....

clayman2000
07-21-2006, 07:14 PM
power yes...blake is better...but if i had to choose i would rather have fed forhand

soundofatrain
07-21-2006, 08:39 PM
marcelo rios- talk about variety and he could hit a winner from anywhere on the court.

Andres
07-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Like I said before ...Kafelnikov :rolleyes:.
Good call there! ;)

killer
07-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Even though there are modern players who hit the ball harder than Lendl, I'm still going with Ivan for this one. Fernando Gonzalez, Safin, AA, Sampras, Fed...they all owe a HUGE debt to Lendl for a couple of reasons:

1. Inside-out forehand: Lendl was the first to step around and crank winners. You could never tell where he was going with that shot (dtl or cc), but you knew that if it was waist-height the point was over.
2. On-the-run: Again, lendl was the first guy who could take a defensive position and pound winners either dtl or cc from a full sprint. Sampras' fh on the run was developed AFTER he spent two weeks training with lendl before the USO 1990. Fed's cc pass, which impresses people so much, was first perfected by Ivan; watching him pass Becker, Mac and Edberg with that shot was unbelievable.
3. Fear: in the mid- to late-80s, no one in their right mind would play Lendl's forehand. He crushed the ball so hard that people reported being able to hear Ivan practicing from hundreds of feet away. I had the pleasure of watching him practice on centre court at the York University (Toronto, ON, CA) site for the Players International (as it was called then) in 1986: the sound of his forehand was ridiculous, like all the air had been sucked out of the stadium, compressed at the moment of impact, and released in a scary "THWOK!!!" at impact. Impressive, to say the least.

aramis
07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
At his best, I'd take Ferrero's forehand anyday.

mctennis
07-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Thomas Muster.
I agree -Muster had the best forehand with the most spin. He was a beast on the court.

FiveO
07-28-2006, 01:51 PM

I agree with this list too. The 90's was a tough call between AA and Courier though, but people who don't think AA had a huge fh could not have seen him early in his career. I also remember thinking Lendl's quote regarding AA to be tad ironic.

Marat Safinator
07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
andre agassi

SER
07-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Fernando Gonzalez

emcee
07-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Might have been a pistol vs a cannon like you say (I don't agree ...but that's just me), but Agassi's FH is an example you can give to kids on how to play the game (so are Sampras', Federer's, Graf's and a number of other people mentioned here). Courier's, Berasategui's or Rodick's are NOT ! They are the kind of forehands that just worked for THEM (Rodick's less than the other two :) ) ...but you wouldn't want your son to use their technique (or lack of technique if I may say so).

No way, not Graf. She had funky technique.

emcee
07-28-2006, 03:19 PM
He was joking.
His mentioning Hingis gave him away easily.

Condi

He said Hingis had the biggest forehead.

Mick
07-28-2006, 04:43 PM
No way, not Graf. She had funky technique.
Yeah but Bud Collins did not call her "Fraudlein Forehand" for nothing :)

baros
07-28-2006, 05:05 PM
federer but not to mention nadal.
________
sc2 replays (http://screplays.com/)

superman1
07-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Federer, Sampras, Agassi, Borg, Lendl...

You're right, the backhand is Agassi's favorite shot and it's the one that's most talked about, but his forehand is better. The forehand is the bread and butter shot for almost every player. Watch the Agassi/Fed US Open final and you'll see that Agassi is probably slightly better off the ground than Federer. Fed can do a bit more with the forehand than Agassi, but Agassi can do a LOT more with his backhand than Fed's backhand, so it evens out. The only thing that separated them in that match was the movement and quickness of Federer.

NamRanger
07-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Federer, Sampras, Agassi, Borg, Lendl...

You're right, the backhand is Agassi's favorite shot and it's the one that's most talked about, but his forehand is better. The forehand is the bread and butter shot for almost every player. Watch the Agassi/Fed US Open final and you'll see that Agassi is probably slightly better off the ground than Federer. Fed can do a bit more with the forehand than Agassi, but Agassi can do a LOT more with his backhand than Fed's backhand, so it evens out. The only thing that separated them in that match was the movement and quickness of Federer.

Federer was going toe to toe with Agassi on the groundstrokes, however his backhand is not solid as Agassi's backhand, and it broke down midway which cost him a set. Therefore, he stepped it up a level and just took away all the fighting energy left in Agassi.

As to who has the BEST forehand, I'm going with Lendel too. He literally invented the modern era forehand.

raspell38120
07-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Gonzo, Fernando Gonzalez. his forehand just killed Agassi today.

emcee
07-29-2006, 07:04 AM
Almost no one has a better backhand than forehand, especially if we exclude ambidextrous people. No one runs around their forehand to hit a backhand, but even people with great backhands will do the opposite if they have a chance...

sliceroni
07-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Overall Federer, with Lendl and Agassi in second. I'll take Sampras on the run though, Fed can pass better than anybody on the run but when Sampras was in his prime he intentionally left the deuce court open to dare opponents to hit to his forehand and if you didn't hit it passed him then boom he'll run and crush it crosscourt for a winner or unreturnable. Back in his prime he didn't want to hit many backhands, that was a play he liked to employ.

rod99
07-30-2006, 06:28 AM
borg's forehand wasn't a weapon like federer, nadal, agassi, sampras, or lendl. it was just solid with a lot of spin and very consistent.

PumpCann
07-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Ivan Lendel hands down!! I am byass but he is the reason I love tennis. His combination of patience and power truly ushered in the game we see today with the artistry of conducting solid points and taking total control of anything short and on the dead run!!!

Sheer Audacity- Fernando Gonzalez

Power Forehands-Andre Agassi(taking the ball early is the key),Jim Courier,Carlos Moya,Roger Federer,Marat Safin,James Blake,Serena Williams and Lindsay Davenport hits the cleanest ball I ever heard with my own ears, it is the most beautiful sound.

PumpCann wilson ntour 58lbs luxillon rough 16g

Shamo
07-30-2006, 04:54 PM
jonas björkman and rainer schüttler

LowProfile
07-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Federer has the best forehand of all time. There is no one who can go forehand-to-forehand with Federer and win. No one. Lendl smacked the crap out of the ball but Federer's is hit just as hard with far more action and spin. Gonzalez may hit the hardest forehand of all time, but it is nowhere near the best. Agassi has a very effective forehand in that he uses more of the opponent's pace (by taking it on the rise) than almost any other player. Safin, Blake, Moya, Ferrero (of 2003) all have very powerful and effective forehands as well. But none of them can beat Federer in a forehand battle.

BERDI4
07-31-2006, 12:54 PM

I agree 100%

FalconX
07-31-2006, 01:24 PM
It WAS huge. When he came on the scene McEnroe said nobody had ever hit the ball that hard at him, and this from a guy who got beaned by Lendl a few times. Back when he broke out, he was the hardest hitter in the game. Maybe Becker could occasionally unload one off the forehand side harder than anything Agassi could produce, but on a shot by shot basis, off BOTH sides, Agassi was a new type of player in how hard he hit EVERY shot. People forget that Agassi used to be a more talented version of Gonzo, that he really toned down his game in the past 10 years. But with that said, most knowledgeable people agree that Agassi's backhand is his true money shot.

Agassi to this date i think has the best cross court backhand. He doesn't even need to run around it.

KuertenRules
07-31-2006, 03:06 PM
1 - Federer
2 - Agassi
3 - Lendl
4 - Muster
5 - me

Rickson
07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Federer with his awesome speed and followthrough.