PDA

View Full Version : Best 1 handed backhand?

unjugon
07-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Let´s keep it from the 90´s onwards.

My top 10 would be:

1-Kuerten
2-Gasquet
3-A. Costa
4-Gaudio
5-Corretja
6-Korda
7-Schalken
8-Pavel
9-Pioline
10-Boetsch

Marat Safinator
07-19-2006, 03:11 PM
why is costa mentioned twice

Marat Safinator
07-19-2006, 03:12 PM
your list is good but id have to add calleri

Alexandros
07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Gasquet's backhand is a thing of beauty.

BreakPoint
07-19-2006, 04:20 PM
You forgot the best one: Tommy Haas

Federer should also be near the top of that list.

I personally think Gasquet has an ugly 1HBH.

Bogie
07-19-2006, 04:20 PM
gasquet hands down #1, no questions asked

quest01
07-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Id say Sampras and Federer both have the best backhands in the game.

diegaa
07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
many polls on this subject has been made (now i talk like yoda).
I would have to say Kuerten, and right behind gaudio and gasquet. Tommy´s isnt that bad also.

typingchamp
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Henin . . . I hate her, but that backhand inspires.

tennisprofl
07-19-2006, 05:47 PM
henin, federer, sampras

migjam
07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
HAAS has the perfect one handed backhand!

tangoll
07-19-2006, 05:55 PM
I think Richard Krajicek, Paradorn Srichapan, Lee Hyung Taik, James Blake all have excellent one handed backhands. Tim Henman's is good as well.

For the women, Amelie Mauresmo's is good. Steffi Graf, Conchita Martinez, Gabriela Sabatini's were also good.

omniexist
07-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Sampras and Federer??

I thought Sampras' backhand was seen as a rather ordinary stroke maybe not a weakness but not very strong.

Federer's backhand is better but still something he isn't known for. It's great as a passing shot and the short slice but not really penetrating from the backcourt.

And where is Edberg on the list?

chaognosis
07-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Let´s keep it from the 90´s onwards.

My top 10 would be:

1-Kuerten
2-Gasquet
3-A. Costa
4-Gaudio
5-Corretja
6-Korda
7-Schalken
8-Pavel
9-Pioline
10-Boetsch

By restricting to '90s onward, you are missing the best ones!

hoosierbr
07-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Edberg. Maybe not the best of the bunch but certainly one of the most beautiful.

Ano
07-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Man: Edberg, Hass, Kuerten, Gaudio, Gasquet.

Woman : Henin, Steffi Graf (Dennis Van Dermeer said :" Steffi have the best slice backhand in tennis.")

rod99
07-19-2006, 07:03 PM
ljubicic should be up there as well.

quest01
07-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Sampras and Federer??

I thought Sampras' backhand was seen as a rather ordinary stroke maybe not a weakness but not very strong.

Federer's backhand is better but still something he isn't known for. It's great as a passing shot and the short slice but not really penetrating from the backcourt.

Sampras has won 14 grand slams and Federer is on his way to probably surpass that so i would think they both would have some of the best one handed backhands in the game of tennis. So i absolutely believe that they both deserve the respect of having the best one handers ever in tennis.

oscar_2424
07-19-2006, 07:15 PM
many polls on this subject has been made (now i talk like yoda).
I would have to say Kuerten, and right behind gaudio and gasquet. Tommy´s isnt that bad also.
I agree with you

allez
07-19-2006, 07:24 PM
JHH === All you need to know about 1HBH.

"...best one-handed back hand in the business, men or women..." John McEnroe

clayman2000
07-19-2006, 07:29 PM
where the hell was federer...its not his best shot but please it is absolutely amazing...he can slice it, hit it flat and hit it with topspin very well, he can also finish a point with it where a person like gaudio just sets it up

maynardsson55
07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Man: Edberg, Hass, Kuerten, Gaudio, Gasquet.

Woman : Henin, Steffi Graf (Dennis Van Dermeer said :" Steffi have the best slice backhand in tennis.")
Right with ya. If you really just take the shot, Gaudio's is probably the best weapon. Just doesn't back it up with much more, especially on anything but clay. Edberg is the reason I hit a one-hander.

Rez_PS2
07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Yeah, agreed. 2 best I've seen from this era are Kuerten's and Federer's. Federer can hit shots off his single hander that noone else would even attempt. I reckon it's a bit better than Gasquet's as he can hit it with more variety which weas clearly evident when they played at Wimbledon this year....ie. he can loop it better, slice it etc.

maynardsson55
07-19-2006, 07:41 PM
I think you guys are looking at the complete player instead of just the single shot when you say Federer. No doubt it's good, but he looked almost below average with it on clay against Nalbandian and Nadal at the FO.

tennisboy87
07-19-2006, 07:45 PM
I love Kuerten's one-handed backhand.

The Grand Slam
07-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Mine~

Nah, kidding. Probably Federer's IMO.

helloworld
07-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Federer..... lol

Polvorin
07-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Id say Sampras and Federer both have the best backhands in the game.

you're joking...right? :confused:

Polvorin
07-20-2006, 02:04 AM
Yeah Henin's is the best ever, no question...man or woman.

Federer's is nice but not the best in the men's game. Gaudio and Ljubo are the best ones that I know of. Oh, and Pavel.

helloworld
07-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Yeah Henin's is the best ever, no question...man or woman.

Federer's is nice but not the best in the men's game. Gaudio and Ljubo are the best ones that I know of. Oh, and Pavel.
OMFG !! When will you ever learn ??? This is as stupid as it can get ! We are including the ATP too, so your goddess would probably ranked like 500 or something, maybe even worse !! Jeez...

Roy
07-20-2006, 02:16 AM
Fed and edberg

0d1n
07-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Ok ...here we go, I would say in no particular order ...but even so I'll try to have some structure :):

1. Edberg
2. Korda (effortless thing of beauty)
3. Stich (same as no. 2)
4. Kuerten
5. Pavel
6. Haas
7. Pioline
8. Federer
9. Costa
10. Me obviously :) (joke...it's probably Henman)

If we go a little further back ...Nastase and Rod Laver :)
Female: Henin (extremely good by any standards) and Mauresmo stand out when it comes to topspin 1hbh ...Graf for the slice.

quest01 - Even with 14 Grand Slams Pete isn't in that top ...not even close. If anything his backhand and some lack of patience were the only things that stopped him @ Rolland Garros (even though Kafelnikov played extremely well in that semi ...).

0d1n
07-20-2006, 02:33 AM
[B]
OMFG !! When will you ever learn ??? This is as stupid as it can get ! We are including the ATP too, so your goddess would probably ranked like 500 or something, maybe even worse !! Jeez...

Your flame is hard to understand really :confused: ... Henin has indeed one of the best one handers out there ...man or woman ... we are talking about technique here ...not how big her muscles are ...and how would she play against Federer (she doesn't have some of the attributes that are "I hope" required to play on the ATP Tour) :cool: .

ericsson
07-20-2006, 03:46 AM
i really can't believe Becker is not on that list, i mean, that guy really had one hell of a BH, he could do it all, especially inside out BH's, i saw many matches of sampras and edberg but didnt see much inside out Backhands there, federer is another one who possess this stroke, it's one of the most difficult strokes in the game!!! anyway for me becker is mister one hander ;) massive stroke from a legend.

Duzza
07-20-2006, 03:51 AM
[B]
no, i'd say number 2 or 3.

ps: Please leave TT

helloworld
07-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Your flame is hard to understand really :confused: ... Henin has indeed one of the best one handers out there ...man or woman ... we are talking about technique here ...not how big her muscles are ...and how would she play against Federer (she doesn't have some of the attributes that are "I hope" required to play on the ATP Tour) :cool: .
Yeah right, and Laila Ali has a better upper cut than Mike Tyson... Morons...

Polvorin
07-20-2006, 05:25 AM

The more you talk, the less people will take you seriously. Try talking less.

helloworld
07-20-2006, 05:31 AM
You know it's the truth. Just face it and get on with your life. :wink:

Mr.Groundstroke
07-20-2006, 06:31 AM
MARTIN VERKERK:cool:

prestigen
07-20-2006, 06:32 AM
best: Becker, Edberg

worst?... Sampras!

0d1n
07-20-2006, 06:48 AM

For all I know she might...I don't really follow boxing. Back to tennis now ... and I'll be just as much of a "dumb redneck" as you are (just to prove a point)...in my opinion everything that Henin is missing to be in the ATP Top 10 is 20 cm in height and a pair of balls!
I won't get into any further debates with you as I would consider it a waste of my precious time. Discussing with somebody that has no arguments and just argues for the sake of arguing is pointless and stupid.
Bye now!

Ripper
07-20-2006, 06:54 AM
unjugon, a couple of things you need to know:

- In reply to your question, JHH has the best 1HBH in the whole wide world. What am I saying? She has the best backhand, period. I know some people get ****ed when this is mentioned, because she's a woman and, simply, because a lot of people hate her guts. But you can't argue against a fact.

- Furthermore, there's no need to say "The Best One Hand Backhand". That's just too long and a wayste of space. Just say "The Best Backhand". Some will never accept it, but everyone knows that 1HBHs are better than 2HBHs; so, what's the point in specifying more details than necessary? :mrgreen:

cabernetjunkie
07-20-2006, 06:59 AM
My vote would be for Tommy Haas.

Marat Safinator
[b]

haha your post's always make me laugh :)

unjugon
unjugon, a couple of things you need to know:

- In reply to your question, JHH has the best 1HBH in the whole wide world. What am I saying? She has the best backhand, period. I know some people get ****ed when this is mentioned, because she's a woman and, simply, because a lot of people hate her guts. But you can't argue against a fact.

- Furthermore, there's no need to say "The Best One Hand Backhand". That's just too long and a wayste of space. Just say "The Best Backhand". Some will never accept it, but everyone knows that 1HBHs are better than 2HBHs; so, what's the point in specifying more details than necessary? :mrgreen:
Ah, that´s good to know. I am kinda a newbie around here.
At least I dind´t type "The" and changed "one" for "1", though I did type "handed" instead of "hand".

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 07:00 AM
For all I know she might...I don't really follow boxing. Back to tennis now ... and I'll be just as much of a "dumb redneck" as you are (just to prove a point)...in my opinion everything that Henin is missing to be in the ATP Top 10 is 20 cm in height and a pair of balls!
I won't get into any further debates with you as I would consider it a waste of my precious time. Discussing with somebody that has no arguments and just argues for the sake of arguing is pointless and stupid.
Bye now!

if she is only missing that, why isnt she number 1 in womans tennis, why does mauresmo dominate her?

0d1n
07-20-2006, 07:06 AM
I like them both ...and I don't feel that Mauresmo "dominates" her, that's your own personal opinion. I would look @ age and Grand Slam record before stating something like that.

helloworld
07-20-2006, 08:27 AM
I just don't understand women :|. We give them freedom, and now they want more! Sorry, we just can't give you better backhand...

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I like them both ...and I don't feel that Mauresmo "dominates" her, that's your own personal opinion. I would look @ age and Grand Slam record before stating something like that.

24....27.... not much difference. about the grand slam record part Im talking about present not past. Mauresmo is better.fact.

Polvorin
07-20-2006, 01:33 PM

True.

Some will never accept it, but everyone knows that 1HBHs are better than 2HBHs; so, what's the point in specifying more details than necessary? :mrgreen:

I would like to believe that this is true also, but the 1-hander is soooo much more difficult to learn and master...

brucie
07-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Gaudio I think, Why didnt you specify WTA that would be easy: Henin.

0d1n
07-20-2006, 02:16 PM
24....27.... not much difference. about the grand slam record part Im talking about present not past. Mauresmo is better.fact.

Right ...and you decide what is a fact and what is just an opinion ...as you are the only holder of the supreme TRUTH. I’m expressing opinions; you are “stating facts” (right?).
Henin got to 3 Grand Slam finals this year…she retired due to illness in the first one …she won the second one …and she lost a close third one. Those are the facts …Henin being dominated is not a fact …it’s your own formed opinion based on the facts I’ve just presented. And YOUR OPINION is pretty far from the truth in MY OPINION. We are entitled to opinions …are we not? In my opinion she has a good chance to win the US also...do you have any facts about who's going to win the final in “dominating” fashion ?

Big Fed
07-20-2006, 07:14 PM
henin, federer, sampras

Henin, Sampras, Federer

Andres
07-20-2006, 08:19 PM
where the hell was federer...its not his best shot but please it is absolutely amazing...he can slice it, hit it flat and hit it with topspin very well, he can also finish a point with it where a person like gaudio just sets it up
Are you insane?? Just sets it up?
Gaudio has one of the most powerful and heaviest one handers around, if not the most.

ShcMad
07-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Are you insane?? Just sets it up?
Gaudio has one of the most powerful and heaviest one handers around, if not the most.

Correcto mundo! Gaudio's backhand should "feel" the heaviest on the opponent's racquet. With the amount of topspin and the heavy racquet that he uses, technically his should feel the heaviest. Also, the whole motion is beautiful to watch.

I've heard Volandri and "El Gordo" Calleri have nice backhands as well, but never seen them.

Chang
07-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Sampras, Fed, Haas, Gaudio, Kuerten.

helloworld
07-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Bye now!
She can't even get into the top 1000, let alone the top 10 ... I'm not trying to discriminate female you know... You just can't compare the backhand of WTA player to ATP player, let alone saying that it is better...... They have separate tours for a reason you know...

Fischer76
07-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Sampras and Federer??

I second that.

Edberg should be on that list. Not Federer tho.

KuertenRules
07-24-2006, 07:17 PM
TOP 3 90’s :

1-Kuerten (no doubt! heaviest one hand backhand ever! AGASSI said that!)
2-Gasquet (kuerten’style)
3-Calleri

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Federer and Sampras BHs both break under pressure.

Best 1BH? I'm going with Guga, but that's just me.

I hear Gustavo's BH could literally break his opponent's strings because it was so heavy :)

Nadal-inator
07-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Gasquet has got the one handed backhand...hes able to slice, drive and hit plenty of winners on that side

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Gasquet has got the one handed backhand...hes able to slice, drive and hit plenty of winners on that side

Hitting winners is not everything. Guga hit as many winners off his backhands if not more then Gasquet, AND he forced 20+ errors with it's heavy topspin that he could generate.

chinese dragon
07-24-2006, 08:20 PM
guga did have a very nice one handed backhand...its just his backhand isnt as recognized anymore as gasquets or federers...

Mick
07-24-2006, 08:29 PM
I like James Blake's backhand

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 08:34 PM
I like James Blake's backhand

It's too one dimensional however, and Blake has a tendency to overhit it sometimes.

chinese dragon
07-24-2006, 08:37 PM
actually I like Federer's backhand except for the fact that it cant really "hurt" his opponents if you get what I'm saying...but the technique is there

mca10spro
07-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Quest -01, I'm with you. Where is Sampras in that list. I think Federer has a silky sweet backhand. Henin on the women's side for sure. Edberg's was good. Stefi Graf was know for her slice which opened up the inside-out forehand. I think you look at backhands and you look for the two handers for power. Although the one handers are making a comeback. Look at Federer , Mauresmo, and Henin-Hardeine at Wimbledon. 3 out of the 4 finalists were one handers with the exception of Nadal. Blake's return of serve off the backhand side is deadly.

Marat Safinator
07-25-2006, 02:45 AM
im a federer fan but his backhand is not in the top 20.