PDA

View Full Version : Joachim Johansson changes his mind!!!!!!

Bogie
07-19-2006, 04:33 PM
according to his statement about a month ago, Joachim "PimPim" Johansson said that it was 99.5% likely that he would not play this year US Open. Well, apparently that 0.5% was more than enough to change his mind. PimPim is going to use his "protected ranking" to enter this year's US Open. I don't know about you guys, but i can't wait to see what happens.

http://www.joachimjohansson.org/

quest01
07-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Good luck for him because hes going to need it.

malakas
07-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah!!!!!!:D
That's great news!
I thought after the Instabul Open he wouldn't play in the USO..

Bogie
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
ya, that guy is a beast. i doubt even he's thinking of making a big impression in the draw but he is just trying to get as much big match play in as possible and is definitely capable of knocking off several big players, even so soon after his comeback.

tennisprofl
07-19-2006, 05:04 PM
yeah i hope that he does well. i liked him

edberg505
07-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Please, please, please, let him draw Nadal in the first round.

verdasco67
07-19-2006, 08:54 PM
he just played a challenger and lost to Wang Yeu Tzuoo of Taipei. 7-5 6-4.

VamosRafa
07-19-2006, 08:56 PM
he just played a challenger and lost to Wang Yeu Tzuoo of Taipei. 7-5 6-4.

Yes, please, please, please, let him draw Nadal in the first round.

The Grand Slam
07-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Tell me. Who is Joachim Johansson? He doesn't seem all that good to me. Why is he so respected?

<flamewall>

edberg505
07-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Yeah, let Nadal play Pim Pim in the first round and then put James Blake on his side of the draw. Hehe. I'd like to see Mr. Nadal sweat. Chances are neither him nor Nalbandian will be on his side of the draw. Nadal must have some serious luck on his side if that happens.

Alexandros
07-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Tell me. Who is Joachim Johansson? He doesn't seem all that good to me. Why is he so respected?

<flamewall>

He was/is a rising talent - MASSIVE serve, explosive forehand and solid backhand with decent volleys. Roddick with slightly less oomph on the serve but superior pretty much everywhere else.

The Grand Slam
07-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Wow. I'll look out for him when I'm watching the USO on TV.

edberg505
07-19-2006, 09:12 PM

<flamewall>

Record for most aces served in one match as he aced Andre Agassi 51 times.
But he first became known when he took out the defending champ Roddick in the quarters of the 04 US Open.

The Grand Slam
07-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Is he in any way related to Thomas Johansson?

edberg505
07-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Is he in any way related to Thomas Johansson?
Nope, not at all. They just happen to be from the same country with the same last name.

lacoster
07-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Nope, not at all. They just happen to be from the same country with the same last name.

Much like Na Li and Ting Li of China, or Albert Costa or Carlos Costa of Spain.
________
Suzuki Fr-50 Specifications (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_FR-50)

BreakPoint
07-19-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm also very glad to see Pim Pim come back. This guy has the BIGGEST game I've seen ever. MASSIVE everything!

I guess after he lost in the 1st round to recent Stanford grad Sam Warburg at the SAP Open in February he decided he wasn't quite ready to come back so he aborted it. Hopefully, he's fully healthy now and can make a full comeback.

helloworld
07-19-2006, 10:15 PM
He'll have to lose to Hewitt anyway, or he'll lose his girlfriend. He better choose one. :rolleyes:

Alexandros
07-19-2006, 10:25 PM
He'll have to lose to Hewitt anyway, or he'll lose his girlfriend. He better choose one. :rolleyes:

They already played in the 2004 US Open, Hewitt won. There goes that punchline.

VamosRafa
07-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Yeah, let Nadal play Pim Pim in the first round and then put James Blake on his side of the draw. Hehe. I'd like to see Mr. Nadal sweat. Chances are neither him nor Nalbandian will be on his side of the draw. Nadal must have some serious luck on his side if that happens.

Rafa doesn't need a lot of luck. He sets his goals and goes after them. I think Pim Pim, Nalby and even Blake will need the luck.

Bogie
07-19-2006, 10:28 PM
well they were engaged in 04 so im figuring that theyre married by now. so its basically her scrawny, annoying brother or her 6'6 monstrous husband. who's conrner do you think she'd be in?

edberg505
07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Rafa doesn't need a lot of luck. He sets his goals and goes after them. I think Pim Pim, Nalby and even Blake will need the luck.

Well, Blake must be very lucky since he leads the 2-0 H2H. Gooooooo Blake!!!

Bogie
07-19-2006, 10:38 PM

not to bash your nadal love affair or anything, but as of now, nadal will need all the luck he can get vs. blake, b/c blake has his # as of now indefinitely. vs. PimPim(assuming that he regains his form and plays as he did at the start of last year), Rafa would more than likely need quite some luck in that one as well for 3 reasons in my opinion. 1. PimPim is pretty much the bigger, stronger, and more explosive off every wing version of james blake(VERY similar game styles) who's game matches up very well with nadal's. 2. PimPim is 6'6 so its going to take much more than Nadal's spin to frustrate him, as oppose someone like fed where the ball gets up on him and causes him a lot of problems...add another half a foot to that and some of the most powerful groundies in tennis. If blake can crush nadal's spin, imagine what pimpim can do. and 3. PimPim has nothing to lose right now, as someone like rafa for instance, if he was to go out to pimpim, hypothetically speaking, that can definitely hurt his self-esteem. to loose to a guy whos been out for over a year.

but against nalbandian, that would be interesting. could go either way there. all depends on what surface and if nalbandian brings his tennis masters cup game or his wimby loss to verdasco game.

VamosRafa
07-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Well, Blake must be very lucky since he leads the 2-0 H2H. Gooooooo Blake!!!

Blake's ranking is much higher now, so they won't meet until later in the event, assuming they get through. And Rafa's confidence is higher now, given his Wimbly final.

That's not to say that Rafa would beat Blake if they meet -- but it probably would be a heck of a show.

At this point, I wouldn't expect that type of a show against Pim Pim. And we have yet to see if Nalby can keep up with Rafa, mentally as well as physically.

I mean, look at what Rafa has done to date in his career, and what they have done. In fact, if you take what Pim Pim, Nalby and Blake have done COLLECTIVELY in their careers, it still falls short of what Rafa has done, when you look at overall slam and Masters titles.

Bogie, not to bash your Nadal hate affair or anything, but at this point Federer is 2-6 against Nadal, and many consider Fed the best player ever. In no way do I think that Rafa is going to continue to beat Fed every time they meet. He will at times, but he'll lose, too.

Rafa has played Blake twice, and Blake has won. Both times Blake was playing his best tennis. In no way do I think Blake is going to beat Rafa every time they play. James is good, but if he was THAT good, he'd have a major title by now, or even a Masters shield.

Rafa is young and is still learning, and it may take him a bit to figure out Blake's game on faster surfaces. But all James has to do is have a day where his forehand isn't firing, and Rafa will be all over him like a cheap suit.

James doesn't have the consistency that Rafa and Roger have, so I don't see James winning every time they meet.

I could be wrong, but I think Rafa has made a lot of strides lately in terms of dealing with aggressive attacking players. And I think he'll continue to improve that aspect of this game.

Alexandros
07-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Blake takes the ball a lot earlier than Joachim Johansson - that makes all the difference in terms of how much time the opponent has to react.

BreakPoint
07-19-2006, 10:49 PM
1. PimPim is pretty much the bigger, stronger, and more explosive off every wing version of james blake(VERY similar game styles) who's game matches up very well with nadal's. 2. PimPim is 6'6 so its going to take much more than Nadal's spin to frustrate him, as oppose someone like fed where the ball gets up on him and causes him a lot of problems...add another half a foot to that and some of the most powerful groundies in tennis. If blake can crush nadal's spin, imagine what pimpim can do. and 3. PimPim has nothing to lose right now, as someone like rafa for instance, if he was to go out to pimpim, hypothetically speaking, that can definitely hurt his self-esteem. to loose to a guy whos been out for over a year.

You've got that right! :D Pim Pim back in '04 was BETTER than Blake. I saw him at the '04 Siebel Open absolutely destroy Blake like 6-2, 6-3 or something. He literally made Blake look like a NTRP 4.0 player. His forehand, backhand, serve, volleys, everything was just BIGGER than Blake's. Blake would crush a ball, and then Pim Pim would crush that ball back even harder. Until I saw Pim Pim play for the first time that year, I never thought anyone could hit the ball that hard and still keep it in the court! And he did it consistently! :eek:

Bogie
07-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Blake takes the ball a lot earlier than Joachim Johansson - that makes all the difference in terms of how much time the opponent has to react.

true, but i think its just as hard to react when ur up against a bomb of a forehand like pimpim's as it is against blake's even though he does in fact take it much earlier. put quite simply, either way your in deep sh*t

Alexandros
07-19-2006, 10:56 PM
You've got that right! :D Pim Pim back in '04 was BETTER than Blake. I saw him at the '04 Siebel Open absolutely destroy Blake like 6-2, 6-3 or something. He literally made Blake look like a NTRP 4.0 player. His forehand, backhand, serve, volleys, everything was just BIGGER than Blake's. Blake would crush a ball, and then Pim Pim would crush that ball back even harder. Until I saw Pim Pim play for the first time that year, I never thought anyone could hit the ball that hard and still keep it in the court! And he did it consistently! :eek:

I personally think you're overrating him - I watched his match against Feliciano Lopez in the 2005 Aussie Open and except for his serve he was hardly blowing Lopez off the court. He can definitely rip a massive forehand, but he didn't do it as often as Blake appears to nowadays (having watched Blake vs Andreev in Sydney at the start of this year).

I also think Blake returns significantly better than Johansson, though that would obviously be offset by his weaker serve.

Bogie
07-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I personally think you're overrating him - I watched his match against Feliciano Lopez in the 2005 Aussie Open and except for his serve he was hardly blowing Lopez off the court. He can definitely rip a massive forehand, but he didn't do it as often as Blake appears to nowadays (having watched Blake vs Andreev in Sydney at the start of this year).

I also think Blake returns significantly better than Johansson, though that would obviously be offset by his weaker serve.

just fyi, that was definitely not one of JJ's better matches. i mean we all saw blake get pounded by mirnyi 6-1, 6-0 in the 4th and 5th sets in wimbledon. doesn't mean that james plays that way all the time. if you want to see a very exciting and intriuging match watch JJ vs. Roddick during the US Open quarters in 04. if you want to see JJ just go absolutely insane and try to rip every single ball he got, watch JJ vs. Agassi at the aussie open in 05. but as for the feliciano lopez match, that was just not one of his better playing days. even someone as great as fed has them (vs. nadal at french last year + this year).

BreakPoint
07-19-2006, 11:02 PM

I don't think it's just me. Even the tournament organizers thought Pim Pim was the most impressive player in that year's tournament. BTW, I think his shots are even bigger indoors.

vive le beau jeu !
07-19-2006, 11:45 PM
pfff... :neutral:
not only you bring everything back to your topspinmonkey obsession but you're also so much pretentious ! :-?

shawn1122
07-20-2006, 12:03 AM
James is good, but if he was THAT good, he'd have a major title by now, or even a Masters shield.

How is he supposed to do that when Nadal is winning all the clay masters and Federer is winning all the hard. I say he should come to Canada. That would be a nice and easy Masters shield for him, with Federer and Nadal out of the way. :D

edberg505
07-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Blake's ranking is much higher now, so they won't meet until later in the event, assuming they get through. And Rafa's confidence is higher now, given his Wimbly final.

That's not to say that Rafa would beat Blake if they meet -- but it probably would be a heck of a show.

At this point, I wouldn't expect that type of a show against Pim Pim. And we have yet to see if Nalby can keep up with Rafa, mentally as well as physically.

I mean, look at what Rafa has done to date in his career, and what they have done. In fact, if you take what Pim Pim, Nalby and Blake have done COLLECTIVELY in their careers, it still falls short of what Rafa has done, when you look at overall slam and Masters titles.

Bogie, not to bash your Nadal hate affair or anything, but at this point Federer is 2-6 against Nadal, and many consider Fed the best player ever. In no way do I think that Rafa is going to continue to beat Fed every time they meet. He will at times, but he'll lose, too.

Rafa has played Blake twice, and Blake has won. Both times Blake was playing his best tennis. In no way do I think Blake is going to beat Rafa every time they play. James is good, but if he was THAT good, he'd have a major title by now, or even a Masters shield.

Rafa is young and is still learning, and it may take him a bit to figure out Blake's game on faster surfaces. But all James has to do is have a day where his forehand isn't firing, and Rafa will be all over him like a cheap suit.

James doesn't have the consistency that Rafa and Roger have, so I don't see James winning every time they meet.

I could be wrong, but I think Rafa has made a lot of strides lately in terms of dealing with aggressive attacking players. And I think he'll continue to improve that aspect of this game.

James Blake may not have as many titles as Nadal or master's shields, but he sure has a 2-0 H2H lead. At the beginning of last year James was playing challenger events and wasn't even on the grid until his run in the DC tournament last year. Almost kinda like where Pim Pim is this year except he's playing challengers later in the year. And what did James Blake do last year? I'm sure no one expected James to despense of the #2 seed in the US Open and yet, he did. I don't see why Pim Pim can't do the same. Just because a player doesn't have a crap load of titles and won 2 slams doesn't mean they will have people pulling their hair out when they play them. So, like I said give Pim Pim enough matches under his belt and he could be just asdangerous as Blake was last year. Oh and as far as Nalbandian goes last time I checked he is the only active player besides Roger Federer to have been in the semi's of every major. Not too shaby eh?

malakas
07-20-2006, 03:57 AM

LOL
No..first round Pim Pim..second round Safin..third round Blake!;)
Just to make up for his lucky draw in Wimby!!:mrgreen:

Fedexeon
07-20-2006, 04:00 AM
Much like Na Li and Ting Li of China, or Albert Costa or Carlos Costa of Spain.

Her name is Li Na...
If her name is really Na Li which means "where" in chinese, her mum or dad must be stupid giving a name like this.

Alexandros
07-20-2006, 04:50 AM
just fyi, that was definitely not one of JJ's better matches. i mean we all saw blake get pounded by mirnyi 6-1, 6-0 in the 4th and 5th sets in wimbledon. doesn't mean that james plays that way all the time. if you want to see a very exciting and intriuging match watch JJ vs. Roddick during the US Open quarters in 04. if you want to see JJ just go absolutely insane and try to rip every single ball he got, watch JJ vs. Agassi at the aussie open in 05. but as for the feliciano lopez match, that was just not one of his better playing days. even someone as great as fed has them (vs. nadal at french last year + this year).

I did watch him against Agassi, live. I chose the Lopez example because... he actually won that match. The match against Agassi showed that yes, he can unload on every ball he gets but that doesn't mean he'll win. It's actually a poor example on your part - he blasts down 51 aces and still managed to lose? That speaks far less to his ability than playing smart tennis and grinding out a victory 13-11 in the fifth set.

What I'm trying to get at is that I am of the opinion that Blake plays high risk tennis better than Johansson, that he goes for the high risk shots more often and more consistently. My observation is that Johansson tends to prefer a point that is nicely set up with a big shot and then finish with a big forehand. Blake's game is built more around taking the ball early and bullying his opponents around until he can hit a winner or his opponent makes the error.

Bogie
07-20-2006, 11:01 AM
I did watch him against Agassi, live. I chose the Lopez example because... he actually won that match. The match against Agassi showed that yes, he can unload on every ball he gets but that doesn't mean he'll win. It's actually a poor example on your part - he blasts down 51 aces and still managed to lose? That speaks far less to his ability than playing smart tennis and grinding out a victory 13-11 in the fifth set.

What I'm trying to get at is that I am of the opinion that Blake plays high risk tennis better than Johansson, that he goes for the high risk shots more often and more consistently. My observation is that Johansson tends to prefer a point that is nicely set up with a big shot and then finish with a big forehand. Blake's game is built more around taking the ball early and bullying his opponents around until he can hit a winner or his opponent makes the error.

the thing is i chose that example because that is the match that, to me, most resembles the high risk style of play that james blake uses as well. only problem is that against agassi, especially before this year, there was only so much you could do against him and if you didnt do what JJ did that match and actually get into a rally with him its very likely that you are going to loose just about every point....playing agassi's game b/c he's one of the greatest dictators of play that ever lived. blake used the same strategy vs. agassi and he's 1-4 vs. AA...............

Feņa14
07-20-2006, 11:49 AM

Johansson is no longer with Jaslyn, I believe they broke up sometime after he had his surgery which was quite a while ago.

Apparently his new girlfriend is Jenny Kallur who is a Swedish Hurdler, there was quite a bit of talk about it on his site at the start of the year and there have been pictures of them together out and about.

Great to have him back though! Is he just going to play Challengers until the US Open or will he play the US Open Series? If he feels he can play the US Open then I can't see why he wouldn't play the warm ups, especially the Masters Series.

Max G.
07-20-2006, 02:48 PM
\\ Is he just going to play Challengers until the US Open or will he play the US Open Series? If he feels he can play the US Open then I can't see why he wouldn't play the warm ups, especially the Masters Series.

First of all, it could be because the US Open is over a month away, while the warmups are less than a month away. If it'll take him another month to be ready for tour-level tennis, then he can't play the warmups, it's pretty simple.

And as for the Masters Series - I'm not even sure whether his protected ranking is high enough to get him into the TMS events... anyone know what exactly it will be?

VamosRafa
07-20-2006, 04:49 PM
pfff... :neutral:
not only you bring everything back to your topspinmonkey obsession but you're also so much pretentious ! :-?

As my youngest son would say, *meeoowwww*

lacoster
07-20-2006, 06:51 PM
I think his protected ranking would be around #10-15. He reached the top ten after Wimbleson last year then got shoulder surgery right afterwards.
________
POPSTOCKS (http://apps.facebook.com/popstocks/)

J-man
07-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Nice to see him back. I hope his shoulder can hold up. He's going to need his serve

framebreaker
07-20-2006, 07:36 PM
well they were engaged in 04 so im figuring that theyre married by now. so its basically her scrawny, annoying brother or her 6'6 monstrous husband. who's conrner do you think she'd be in?
6'6??? he doesn't come off that tall on tv

framebreaker
07-20-2006, 07:38 PM
not to bash your nadal love affair or anything, but as of now, nadal will need all the luck he can get vs. blake, b/c blake has his # as of now indefinitely. vs. PimPim(assuming that he regains his form and plays as he did at the start of last year), Rafa would more than likely need quite some luck in that one as well for 3 reasons in my opinion. 1. PimPim is pretty much the bigger, stronger, and more explosive off every wing version of james blake(VERY similar game styles) who's game matches up very well with nadal's. 2. PimPim is 6'6 so its going to take much more than Nadal's spin to frustrate him, as oppose someone like fed where the ball gets up on him and causes him a lot of problems...add another half a foot to that and some of the most powerful groundies in tennis. If blake can crush nadal's spin, imagine what pimpim can do. and 3. PimPim has nothing to lose right now, as someone like rafa for instance, if he was to go out to pimpim, hypothetically speaking, that can definitely hurt his self-esteem. to loose to a guy whos been out for over a year.
I doubt that a 6'6 guy can trouble nadal. simply not fast enough. blake is a different story

but against nalbandian, that would be interesting. could go either way there. all depends on what surface and if nalbandian brings his tennis masters cup game or his wimby loss to verdasco game.

Bogie
07-20-2006, 07:50 PM
6'6??? he doesn't come off that tall on tv

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=J194

height = 6'6 (1.98)

Max G.
07-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I think his protected ranking would be around #10-15. He reached the top ten after Wimbleson last year then got shoulder surgery right afterwards.

Based on what I remember of how protected rankings work, I think it would end up being a bunch lower than his last ranking before the injury... but yeah, based on that, it would definitely be high enough to enter the TMS events. So I suppose it's up to him, whether he can or wants to.

Bogie
07-20-2006, 10:50 PM
how does protected ranking work anyway cuz ive never really heard the term used until now?

ta11geese3
07-20-2006, 11:16 PM
I think his serve is bigger than roddick's... at least, he gets better angles. When you can slice it out way wide or nail it down the t... scary.

VamosRafa
07-20-2006, 11:22 PM
how does protected ranking work anyway cuz ive never really heard the term used until now?

That's probably because you haven't followed tennis the way we do.

Others have posted info on it, but the bottom line is that if a fairly high-ranked player goes out with an injury, and doesn't come back again for a while they protect his ranking, so he doesn't have to start again at the bottom.

J-man
07-21-2006, 04:48 AM
So what is his protective ranking??

tennus
07-21-2006, 05:16 AM
The match against Agassi showed that yes, he can unload on every ball he gets but that doesn't mean he'll win. It's actually a poor example on your part - he blasts down 51 aces and still managed to lose? That speaks far less to his ability than playing smart tennis and grinding out a victory 13-11 in the fifth set.

Good Point, from what I've seen of JJ he has possibly the best serve when he's confident. The question is how many free points does he need to beat the top players with big wheels ? Hewitt, Nadal etc. I mean Agassi exposed just how little this guy moves. He didn't just hit 51 aces cause he nailed a heap of unplayables as well. Sure he's a big man but big men aren't always so cumbersome(Mirnyi, Phillipousis). It's certainly his main weakness. ;)

tangerine
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
With so many great, varied players staking their claim on the pro tour I doubt Pim-Pim has been missed much.

bleno567
07-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I have been a Pim Pim fan since he took out Roddick in the USO of 04. His game is just so massive, but that comes at a cost because it also can be very eratic. I look forward to watching him play this year.

Bogie
07-21-2006, 11:52 AM
That's probably because you haven't followed tennis the way we do.

Others have posted info on it, but the bottom line is that if a fairly high-ranked player goes out with an injury, and doesn't come back again for a while they protect his ranking, so he doesn't have to start again at the bottom.

k, thanks for the info. sorry i actually pay attention to other people besides nadal. my bad

Max G.
07-21-2006, 02:24 PM
k, thanks for the info. sorry i actually pay attention to other people besides nadal. my bad

I looked up, here's how it works - (quoting the ATP rulebook)

"A player may petition the CEO for an Entry Protection when he is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a minimum period of six (6) months. The written petition must be received within six (6) months after his last tournament.
2) The Entry Protection shall be a position in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking (Singles), as determined by the player's average INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking (Singles) position during the first three (3) months of his injury"

So the way it seems to work is that they take the average position of the player in the first three months he didn't play. Also, it's applicable for any players, not just high-ranked players.

Marat Safinator
07-21-2006, 04:00 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if nadal lost that match. I wuld be happy if he drew nadal. get nadal outas soon as possible.

Bogie
07-21-2006, 05:51 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if nadal lost that match. I wuld be happy if he drew nadal. get nadal outas soon as possible.

well in my opinion, only 4 people would actually have a chance of beating nadal on the fast us open courts.

1) James Blake obviously, enough said
2) Joachim Johansson for all the reasons ive stated in previous posts in this thread
3) Marat Safin if he gets his head out of his *** and starts playing the tennis that won him his two slams.........if thats at all possible
4) David Nalbandian because when he's on, hes probably the most solid baseliner on the tour. the guy is just a machine back there.

i dont think fed can do it based on what ive seen on hard courts vs. nadal. in my opinion his game just doesnt match up on anything besides on hard.

Max G.
07-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Joachim Johansson would not be able to beat Nadal in his first tournament back.

Remember, he tried a comeback earlier this year. He lost to a nobody.

Remember Haas's comeback, a year or two ago? He started with a bunch of first-round losses to nobodies, and only started playing well a couple of months or or so later. James Blake, in his miraculous comeback from injuries and trauma, also took a while before he got back to the level he once was. This year Thomas Johansson has been barely winning matches since coming back from his eye injury.

And so on. Only the greatest players are able to come back and immediately play their best. Heck, even Nadal, in his first tournament of this year, coming back from a minor injury, lost to Arnaud Clement! Now, it WAS in the semis, but still.

Maybe Pim-Pim would be able to trouble Nadal if he plays well. But do you really think he can play well right off the bat?

Bogie
07-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Joachim Johansson would not be able to beat Nadal in his first tournament back.

Remember Haas's comeback, a year or two ago? He started with a bunch of first-round losses to nobodies, and only started playing well a couple of months or or so later. James Blake, in his miraculous comeback from injuries and trauma, also took a while before he got back to the level he once was. This year Thomas Johansson has been barely winning matches since coming back from his eye injury.

And so on. Only the greatest players are able to come back and immediately play their best. Heck, even Nadal, in his first tournament of this year, coming back from a minor injury, lost to Arnaud Clement! Now, it WAS in the semis, but still.

Maybe Pim-Pim would be able to trouble Nadal if he plays well. But do you really think he can play well right off the bat?

well im guessing that if he plays several of the us open series tournys and does decently in them, i think he can surely give trouble to anyone, but of course were going to need some results in order to make some sort of educated guess. im wondering why everyone is thinking hes going to draw nadal first round. for all we know, he could draw federer, or nalbandian, or roddick or blake (wouldn't those be tasty):D

lacoster
07-21-2006, 09:35 PM

He came back too soon and re-aggravated his shoulder en route to a tight three set loss in San Jose to WC Sam Warburg. He hasn't played a match since then. That was his only match in the past fourteen months. Everyone knows he won't be match tough at all.
________
Yamaha Psr-500M Specifications (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_PSR-500M)

Matthew
07-21-2006, 09:38 PM
I'd like to see him get healthy - he has plenty of US Opens ahead of him.

Egalite
07-21-2006, 09:55 PM
In June 2004 Pim Pim lost to Alex Bogdanovic in straight sets.

Clearly he is a major talent. Rafa will be wetting his pants at the thought of meeting Pim Pim at the US Open.

edberg505
07-21-2006, 10:03 PM

Clearly he is a major talent. Rafa will be wetting his pants at the thought of meeting Pim Pim at the US Open.

But he has been somewhere that Nadal has not. The semi finals of the US Open.

lacoster
07-21-2006, 10:04 PM

And your point? Let me give you a counter-argument.

In Sep 2004 Rafa lost to Oliver Mutis on clay 3 and 3. In Oct 2004 Rafa lost to Julien Benneteau 3 and 0 on hard.

Clearly he is a major talent. Pim Pim will be wetting his pants at the thought of meeting Rafa at the US Open.

Who are you referring to as a major talent, Bogdanovic, Rafa, or Pim Pim, in your original post? Am I talking to a third grader who wasn't paying attention during the lecture about misplaced modifiers? I feel dumb for reading your post.
________
Pot News (http://potwire.com)

Bogie
07-21-2006, 10:07 PM
haha lacoster just owned egalite at his own game

Egalite
07-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Guilty as charged for my cheap shot.

But I just get hacked off with the "fan" type of poster here - you know, the sort of teen geek who has to project onto another person. Usually it's rock stars or football players, but occasionally it's a tennis player.

Anyone objectively looking at Johansson will see the huge serve and forehand, but will also see a worrying propensity to injury, a lack of backup to his normal gameplan ("hit everything as hard as I can") and an inability to string good results together.

The injury problems alone are likely to wreck his career - like Haas, Kuerten, etc, etc.

randomname
07-21-2006, 11:26 PM
And your point? Let me give you a counter-argument.

In Sep 2004 Rafa lost to Oliver Mutis on clay 3 and 3. In Oct 2004 Rafa lost to Julien Benneteau 3 and 0 on hard.

Clearly he is a major talent. Pim Pim will be wetting his pants at the thought of meeting Rafa at the US Open.

Who are you referring to as a major talent, Bogdanovic, Rafa, or Pim Pim, in your original post? Am I talking to a third grader who wasn't paying attention during the lecture about misplaced modifiers? I feel dumb for reading your post.

its called a breakout year, and most people dont really consider theirs wins or losses before it, stop being so anal

lacoster
07-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Guilty as charged for my cheap shot.

you know, the sort of teen geek who has to project onto another person. Usually it's rock stars or football players, but occasionally it's a tennis player.

I have my MBA and find unintelligible posts ignorant and ubiquitous here. There are still many grammatical errors in your most recent post, even when you are made aware of your hackneyed original post.
________
YAMAHA MIO HISTORY (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Mio)

randomname
07-22-2006, 10:32 AM
I have my MBA and find unintelligible posts ignorant and ubiquitous here. There are still many grammatical errors in your most recent post, even when you are made aware of your hackneyed original post.
thats one of the most arrogant things ive ever heard in my life....

edberg505
07-22-2006, 10:35 AM
thats one of the most arrogant things ive ever heard in my life....

Really? How old are you? Because I've heard much more arrogant things said than that statement.