PDA

View Full Version : Andy Roddick's best moment of his life

Lee
07-19-2006, 10:54 PM
I just found this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-ghKdUxP0&search=juan%20carlos%20roddick

What a magical moment. So genuine and emotional. I remember I was in tears when I saw him crying. Isn't this moment what we are all trying to live for? All of the hard work, sacrifices, the sweat, the blood and the tears. Seven hours of tennis a day and hitting millions of tennis balls.

All for this moment.

It's very unfortunate that Andy has not been dominating like the way he used to be. Here's to a great U.S. hardcourt season, Andy!

helloworld
07-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Yep, they should make a movie about him. How about "One slam wonder" ? :rolleyes:

Ronnie7
07-19-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm still a Roddick fan. Once he develops a damn volley, he'll bounce back.

KBalla08
07-19-2006, 11:13 PM
man he really played well that year from wimbledon onwards. he really couldve been good if he had kept playing like that and kept gilbert... too many dumb decisions by him or else hed be right up there in the top 3, probably #3

Lee
07-19-2006, 11:15 PM
It's really not about being a "fan" or not. I could care less about all of the trash talk but Roddick is still representing the American Tennis at this moment.

I think Roddick's flaw lies in his weak approach shots and lack of court instincts. Volleys will come easy when he can hit approach shots like Federer. Look at all of the doubles players. They can hit volleys with their eyes closed, but they are not going to have the opportunities to hit the volleys if they are playing the singles match. Why? Because they can't hit an approach shot.

Alexandros
07-19-2006, 11:17 PM

I just think he needs his cocky swagger - ie. his confidence back. With that came the assurance that his big serve and big forehand can win him matches. Nowadays he's too uncertain in what he does, the self belief is all gone. I mean, in 2003 and even through 2004 when his backhand was still as bad, his volleys still sucked yet he managed to win and go deep consistently.

helloworld
07-19-2006, 11:21 PM
It's really not about being a "fan" or not. I could care less about all of the trash talk but Roddick is still representing the American Tennis at this moment.

Representing american tennis ? The dude lost miserably on his favorite surface against a scottish for christ sake !

Lee
07-19-2006, 11:24 PM
so what? does that mean that he can't represent American Tennis after he loses to a scott on grass? representing american tennis is not directly correlated with your tennis results. Roddick is still the most popular American tennis player in the world, and if you don't know that, I am glad that you learned something today.

jukka1970
07-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Whether he wins another slam or not is really irrelevant to the post. There's nothing better then seeing the real emotion come out. First poster had it right with genuine and real.

Rob_C
07-20-2006, 02:29 AM

I think Roddick's flaw lies in his weak approach shots and lack of court instincts. Volleys will come easy when he can hit approach shots like Federer. Look at all of the doubles players. They can hit volleys with their eyes closed, but they are not going to have the opportunities to hit the volleys if they are playing the singles match. Why? Because they can't hit an approach shot.

I think his problem is that he's coming to net alot more, but he cant stick the down the line volley, so he volleys cross court alot of the time, which you're not supposed to do if you cant put the volley away because you open yourself up to angles to be passed. The '05 Aussie semi against Hewitt was a perfect example, Hewitt knew Roddick was going to volley cross court more often than not, so instead of trying to pass him on the 1st shot, he just kept the 1st one low, and then passed him on the 2nd .

tennisprofl
07-20-2006, 06:28 AM
roddick plays like he doesnt know what to do. people can return his serve now, and his coach sucks. he should've kept gilbert

Marat Safinator
07-20-2006, 06:33 AM
I just found this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-ghKdUxP0&search=juan%20carlos%20roddick

What a magical moment. So genuine and emotional. I remember I was in tears when I saw him crying. Isn't this moment what we are all trying to live for? All of the hard work, sacrifices, the sweat, the blood and the tears. Seven hours of tennis a day and hitting millions of tennis balls.

All for this moment.

It's very unfortunate that Andy has not been dominating like the way he used to be. Here's to a great U.S. hardcourt season, Andy!

yes so what?

J-man
07-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I'm still a Roddick fan. Once he develops a damn volley, he'll bounce back.And a damn Backhand

Surecatch
07-20-2006, 06:56 AM
That was great. Very interesting to see what the climate in tennis was at that time as I didn't follow closely then. The talk about the passing of the torch from Sampras to "the next great tennis hero." Federer had one slam at that point. Now he has eight and Andy still has........one.

I'd love to see Andy come back and be a force in the game again. I really would.

Gugafan_Redux
07-20-2006, 07:01 AM
That video should be titled "Andy Roddick and Brad Gilbert win the 2003 US Open."

Nuff said.

helloworld
07-20-2006, 07:04 AM
That video should be titled "Andy Roddick and Brad Gilbert win the 2003 US Open."

Nuff said.
lol, that's cruel. :)

hgb765
07-20-2006, 07:07 AM
aww what a win
wish i was there.. might have even gotten a hug?

sotua
07-20-2006, 07:14 AM

And a backhand.

And some footwork.

And some game plans.

And...

But seriously, what he really needs to develop is some discipline.

Lee
07-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Despite his recent slump, he's can still beat 90 percent of the players that participate in the same tournament as him. I really don't think his recent slump could be attributed to the lack of discipline. I think he looks great physically but he is not very tough mentally, probably due to losses to the players that he was beating 6-2, 6-3 in 2003.

I think at this stage, his fundamental games are all set and it’s hard to change them. He just needs to stay aggressive and be prepared (mentally) to win some big points. We’ll see how Conner changes him this summer.

rommil
07-20-2006, 08:43 AM
I'd be happy if we have James Blake represent as the best tennis player for the US than Roddick. I think Blake is capable of more consistency, discipline and he is more level headed. The predicament is that his game is not that flashy. What can I say, Roddick and his game is so American it is not even funny.....

GRANITECHIEF
07-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Well it will be interesting to see what goes down if Blake and Roddick both make to finals of RCA Indy tourney, which is very likely.

Lee
07-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Rommil, “flashiness” is a highly subjective term, especially in tennis. I thought Blake’s all-court game is flashy, but obviously you would disagree with me. Blake’s game is definitely more complete than Andy’s. However, Andy is a lot more “popular” in the American pop culture. Andy’s been around the cirucuit longer, has dated big time celebrities, befriended with the A-list musicians and movie stars, hosted the most popular late night show… etc. That’s what I mean by representing American Tennis. Ask anyone on the street (who doesn’t know much about tennis) who is the best American tennis player, and he would probably say Andy Roddick.

J-man
07-20-2006, 10:13 AM
And a backhand.

And some footwork.

And some game plans.

And...

But seriously, what he really needs to develop is some discipline.And maybe a Forehand with less topspin. It's not helping him like Nadal

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-20-2006, 10:22 AM
that is just his first slam, he'll win many more

-k-

rommil
07-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Rommil, “flashiness” is a highly subjective term, especially in tennis. I thought Blake’s all-court game is flashy, but obviously you would disagree with me. Blake’s game is definitely more complete than Andy’s. However, Andy is a lot more “popular” in the American pop culture. Andy’s been around the cirucuit longer, has dated big time celebrities, befriended with the A-list musicians and movie stars, hosted the most popular late night show… etc. That’s what I mean by representing American Tennis. Ask anyone on the street (who doesn’t know much about tennis) who is the best American tennis player, and he would probably say Andy Roddick.
So people would say Andy Roddick is the "best" US player just because he is more visible and marketable? I can see the general public saying that but you and I know that at the moment, Blake can potentially have better results than Roddick. Popularity doesn't always equal better tennis.That's why I said if given the chance, I would pick Blake over him. Never been a big follower of pop culture here.

Lee
07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Rommil, I get your point.

Are you playing the Yale 4.0 tournament? I am interested, is there a website for the tournament?

Roger is Boring
07-20-2006, 01:07 PM
wow! awesome video I never saw him win the uso. I can see that it would be such a big deal to him and his fans. i hope connors can get him back to winning again.,

rommil
07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Rommil, I get your point.

Are you playing the Yale 4.0 tournament? I am interested, is there a website for the tournament?
I did and lost horribly in the round of 16 lol. USTA.COM have a listings of different tournaments.

arosen
07-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Few on this board actually understand the enormity of winning a first slam. For a tennis player nothing compares to winning a slam. It's a pinnacle of his career, and I wonder if Andy felt that he has achieved all he ever cared to achieve.

JohnS
07-21-2006, 07:57 AM

Nuff said.

More like, "How Brad Gilbert can make dreams come true"

johnkidd
07-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Boy Agassi is lucky he didn't read the TW Message boards 10-12 years ago.He would have retired at 25. (that is a joke FYI). Seems to me many pro athletes go throw stretches where they almost bottom out before they return better then they were before. Or they develop later on. Blakes results weren't great before he was injured/sick. All that happened made him look inward and realize it's just a game and look at his results over the last year. This time last year how many people would have guessed Blake would be in the top 10 and Roddick would be struggling to win matches.
I'll go out on a limb and predict Roddick will have a win this summer that will turn his momentum around.

OrangeOne
07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Roddick is still the most popular American tennis player in the world, and if you don't know that, I am glad that you learned something today.

You forgot the words "except Agassi" in the above sentence. He's playing still for the next two or three months - and in reality - he's done more for tennis (both American and the world outside America too ;) than Roddick has or (in all conceivable likelihoods) will ever do.

Roddick is a good tennis player. Agassi is a multi-national brand, and has been for almost two decades. When he retires, then people can argue over who's the most popular American tennis player in the world.

tangerine
07-21-2006, 11:01 AM
You forgot the words "except Agassi" in the above sentence. He's playing still for the next two or three months - and in reality - he's done more for tennis (both American and the world outside America too ;) than Roddick has or (in all conceivable likelihoods) will ever do.

Roddick is a good tennis player. Agassi is a multi-national brand, and has been for almost two decades. When he retires, then people can argue over who's the most popular American tennis player in the world.
It's funny. People used to say the exact same thing about Jimmy Connors when Agassi first showed up. My, how times change.