PDA

View Full Version : John Hopkins University

stc9357
07-20-2006, 09:34 AM
I was wondering if there is anybody in this forum who goes there? How is the school and what kind of gpa did you have to get into the school?

I want to apply there and go there but I don't know if it will be the right school for me. I supposed to be visiting the school when I go to Bmore. By the way I have a 4.4 gpa and my SAT was not so good so I need to take it again!

Jonas
07-20-2006, 09:57 AM
I have a firiend who was just accepted into there. He leaves this weekend.
I don't know all of the details, but it's a pretty big deal and would be the equivelant (or better) than getting into Harvard or Yale./

stc9357
07-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Thanks and for those who want to know I plan on majoring in environmental engineering. Most people who go ther go for the medical school because it is one of the best in the country but there engineering school is ranked #8 in the country.

Dedans Penthouse
07-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Had a family member who went there (for medicine). You definitely would want to re-take your SAT's before applying. Good luck.

Environmental Engineering? Stanford and Cal-Berkeley.

max
07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Be careful on your application! It's "Johns" Hopkins University, not John Hopkins.

Hartzy
07-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Ok time to be a jerk:p

Rank Poll Team Rating Rank W L T

1 1 Virginia 99.90 8 17- 0- 0
2 3 Cornell 96.18 10 11- 3- 0
3 2 Hofstra 95.33 24 17- 2- 0
4 4 Maryland 95.22 3 12- 5- 0
5 Duke 94.38 27 6- 2- 0
6 8 Princeton 94.21 7 11- 5- 0
7 7 Syracuse 93.99 1 10- 5- 0
8 6 Johns Hopkins 93.88 2 9- 5- 0

My school>your possible school in lacrosse.

rasajadad
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
If you can't get the name of the school right, I don't know if you can get in. (JK)

zhan
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
JHU is really good...
you def need 1400-1500 on the SATs (Old Scale)
to get in...
4.4 GPA is good (proves that you are B+, A- in honor classes *if honor classes is based on 5.0 scale*)
If you are the capitain of the tennis team also helps?
BUT
why limit youself with only one college?
check Villanova - we def need people on our team (GOOD PEOPLE)
our tennis program sucks ......

35ft6
07-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I don't know all of the details, but it's a pretty big deal and would be the equivelant (or better) than getting into Harvard or Yale./ No, getting into Harvard or Yale is better.

SrGuapo
07-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Johns Hopkins has a great reputation and is a great school assuming you can afford it. I know some of their engineering is decent, but definitely visit and check out their environmental engineering department. Enviro-engineering is still a fairly new program for many schools, so its a good idea to check it out.

About your SAT: I go to a quite selective school (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute), and I know people with SAT's ranging from around 100-1600 (pre format change of course). SAT is not the main criteria decent schools will look at and is actually probably one of the last. JHU will likely look at many factors such as extracurricular activities, community service, essays, and such before looking at your SAT scores. Still, a high SAT score will definitely help cover up deficiencies elsewhere.

Dunno what year you are (I assume you are about the be a senior?), start working on getting involved in you school. Join clubs, do community service work, start a new club at your school ad get people to join. These are the kind of people colleges look for. Good test scores will say very little about the type of person. They want people that will bring a good reputation to the school and be able to change the world somehow.

SrGuapo
07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
No, getting into Harvard or Yale is better.

Depends what you want to do. Harvard and Yale are mostly liberal arts schools and are great for things like History, Literature, English, Foreign Languages and even some of the sciences (I have a friend studying chem at Harvard). However, if you have other interests (such as engineering, most applied sciences, CS, etc), there are many better schools.

A Computer Engineering degree from MIT is sure as hell going to be more impressive than one from Harvard, assuming they even have a CSE program.

stc9357
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm involed in the environmental science club, french club, national honor society, french honor society, social science honor society, science honor society, and english honor society.

Of course I'm on the tennis team- got to semifinals of dual teams this year.

I think I can get in but not positive if I want to go there yet. I'm a rising senior and I already ready to get the heck out of school.

stc9357
07-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Community service work really isn't suited for me its ok but I'm not trying to be some little suck up I do what I do and I really don't care what other people do.

35ft6
07-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Depends what you want to do. Harvard and Yale are mostly liberal arts schools and are great for things like History, Literature, English, Foreign Languages and even some of the sciences (I have a friend studying chem at Harvard). However, if you have other interests (such as engineering, most applied sciences, CS, etc), there are many better schools.

A Computer Engineering degree from MIT is sure as hell going to be more impressive than one from Harvard, assuming they even have a CSE program. All true, but the person making the claim didn't specify a field of study. By reputation alone, Harvard and Yale trumps all others. And "reputation" is nothing to poo poo as it figures greatly into how these colleges are ranked in the first place.

stc9357
07-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Be careful on your application! It's "Johns" Hopkins University, not John Hopkins.

I think that would already be printed on the application. I plan on majoring engineering in not English.

stc9357
07-20-2006, 11:38 AM
JHU is really good...
to get in...
4.4 GPA is good (proves that you are B+, A- in honor classes *if honor classes is based on 5.0 scale*)
BUT

I'm not I'm still going to apply to NC State and maybe A&T. BTW I'm black if you did not know this already.

Steve Dykstra
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm doing civil and environmental engineering and had a 4.35 gpa in high school along with 1370 SATs, and got into Cornell engineering which is probably comparable to Johns Hopkins. Assuming your SAT is similar you probably have a decent shot at getting in. A 1370 might not cut it for engineering though if you have about even on both tests, but I had 800 math 570 verbal. And a 4.4 could mean all As, as was the case with me since my high school didn't offer enough honors classes that you could take only them.

SrGuapo
07-20-2006, 11:42 AM
All true, but the person making the claim didn't specify a field of study. By reputation alone, Harvard and Yale trumps all others. And "reputation" is nothing to poo poo as it figures greatly into how these colleges are ranked in the first place.

Very true, though hopefully most firms and companies would know the top 20 or so colleges in their field and recruit more heavily there.

About ommunity service. Of course you don't have to take a vow of silence and become a monk. Something like 20 hours a year is quite easy and does wonders for an application. Since you are already involved in NHS, I assume you are already doing like 10 hours or so. Unfortunately, since a panel of people have to grade who you are based on a sheet of paper, you will have to do some "sucking up". There is no way they can tell who you are from an application, so they decide on several criteria. If you can meet those criteria and even excel, you have a great chance of being accepted.

zhan
07-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm not I'm still going to apply to NC State and maybe A&T. BTW I'm black if you did not know this already.

Well... if you are black...
That might be a little problem with Villanova then ;)

Tikiman53
07-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Just a little bit of trivia: I went to see Harvard and Yale university because my sis wanted to take a look at colleges, and I thought that the campus of Yale was a lot better. Both schools had some construction going on at the time, but Yale still looked a bit better IMO. It was sorta funny because in Harvard, there were signs that normally say "ASSISTANCE", but some kids took the 'I' off. :). I got some nice souvenirs, which was the only thing I was really looking forward to in the trip. :). Oh, and my sis went to Johns Hopkins university for summer school once. I'll ask her what she thought of it.

atatu
07-20-2006, 12:07 PM
The lacrosse players at JHU are morons for the most part, but I guess that's true for other schools also....

SrGuapo
07-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Just a little bit of trivia: I went to see Harvard and Yale university because my sis wanted to take a look at colleges, and I thought that the campus of Yale was a lot better. Both schools had some construction going on at the time, but Yale still looked a bit better IMO. It was sorta funny because in Harvard, there were signs that normally say "ASSISTANCE", but some kids took the 'I' off. :). I got some nice souvenirs, which was the only thing I was really looking forward to in the trip. :). Oh, and my sis went to Johns Hopkins university for summer school once. I'll ask her what she thought of it.

My brother also visted both. I actually like Harvard quite a bit more. Cambridge is much nicer than New Haven will ever be. I did like the immediate Yale campus, but once you go a mile in any direction, you are in New Haven.

looseswing
07-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I was wondering if there is anybody in this forum who goes there? How is the school and what kind of gpa did you have to get into the school?

I want to apply there and go there but I don't know if it will be the right school for me. I supposed to be visiting the school when I go to Bmore. By the way I have a 4.4 gpa and my SAT was not so good so I need to take it again!

What is your score w/o the honors class weightings? This is the really important GPA measure.

!Tym
07-20-2006, 02:07 PM
No, getting into Harvard or Yale is better.

Not if you don't get a full scholarship it isn't. Given a full scholarship to a second tier top school but not quite top is better than going to Harvard or Yale with no scholarship everytime in my opinion. The quality of your education won't differ, however, the Ivies are notorious for grade inflation and Hopkins the exact opposite end of the spectrum in that regard which means that if you're not on top of it from the jump at a school like Hopkins you're going to suffer on the open job market as individuals from less competitive schools will meet the ridiculous overemphasis on the undergraduate GPA when it comes to getting entry-level jobs right out of college.

But anyway, good luck because I think the college selection and application process is the pitts of the world. Hate it, just hate it. You can't count on anyone school anymore, it's a krump-shoot as the numbers of applicants now are just sky high in the modern age making differentiation between the species, pardon the pun, close to impossible. Might as well put a blindfold on, hold a raffle, and pick; because the honest truth is that in the end it pretty much does boil down to that unless you've got some distinguishing feature about you. The reality is that any number of people can fill the same slot as you and the school would be no worse or better for the wear 9 out of 10 times so don't take it too personally if you don't get in, and don't get your hopes up too much either.

Really, I think you'll find that you'll settle in just fine at any college. In my opinion, you'll meet friends anywhere you go, and in the end it's the friends you meet that make college worthwhile and liveable in my opinion. The education? Pshh...ever seen Goodwill Hunting? You can get that anywhere if you're motivated enough. College to me is more about the late nights going out with friends, putting on the pizza poundage, and just in general the endless days of chatter. Far down the road, what undergrad you went means actually very little.

In fact, if you're concerned about getting into grad school, I'd say you're far better off going to an acedmically less competitive university and sailing through with top marks than going to a "regarded" university but doing poorly.

I know as I look back, I'm simply astonished that some of the students from the last high school I attended, which was academically and socio-economically down-trodden, attended community college before transfering to a four year university, then going onto to get their masters; have now so many years later "technically" achieved FAR more than *several* friends of mine from an elite institution DESPITE these friends from the elite institution being FAR, FAR, FAR intellectually superior. I'm not just saying this, but I'm talking in all objectiveness, the gap in my first hand experience is GLARING. And yet? These friends from the elite undergrad program could get in NOWHERE upon graduating, instead taking on jobs as waiter, stock boy, or cafe cashier, etc. Yes, the economy was bad back then, but still...AND what's more they also could not get into grad school with their c-range GPAs...nevermind that the academic rigor and quality of students on average that they had to contend with were FAR greater. I mean once such friend actually transferred into the elite institution from a state school, and told me that it was the worst mistake of his life. That at the state school, he was #1 without trying, but at the elite institution he could barely pass classes despite working ten times harder, ruined his GPA, and more importantly ruined his post-college plans almost irrevocably. It's taken him YEARS now to "make-up" for the ramifications of that transfer into an instant "name" recognition school. Yeah, a name's nice. But the real world's more about meeting technical requirements such as minimum GPAs for new hires which to me can cause just as many injustices as it can justices.

Because of this, I say you know what? Undergrad is pure bolgna. Don't take it too much to heart where you get into or don't, because the reality is that in the end, it does NOT matter anywhere near as much as the undergraduate brochures and your parents probably have brain-washed you into believing.

chrisplchs
07-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Hopkins isn't that great of a school. Plus, have you been to Baltimore outside of the Harbor?

SrGuapo
07-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Hopkins isn't that great of a school. Plus, have you been to Baltimore outside of the Harbor?

Its definitely top 10 for biology and medicine. Dunno about engineering, but sounds like it is great there too. I have some friends in Baltimore and I have no problems with the city. Most of it is fairly nice, especially around Johns Hopkins.

chrisplchs
07-20-2006, 02:23 PM
fairly nice? hahaha hahaha... did you say most of baltimore is fairly nice

hopkins is alright in graduate studies but its undergraduate leaves a lot to be desired. true, its med school is good and its bioengineering is pretty decent also but outside of those two, there really isn't a whole to go to there for.

stc9357
07-20-2006, 02:47 PM

First of all my parents are divorced and my dad still lives in Baltimore County, in MD he is a civil engineer for howard county and I still have plenty of family there as well as a lot in Greenville, NC that is why my mom decided to move me down to this hell hole. I know Baltimore and most of the area surronding Baltimore like the back of my hand. I grew up there so I love the place but if I look at it from your perspective then yes Baltimore is a very dirty city with a bad heroin problem. I also know the people who live in the hood and some of my family members still do, my dad comes from a family of 10 children and was one of the few who made it out.

My cousins are both drug dealers so I have no problem wth the city.

stc9357
07-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Not if you don't get a full scholarship it isn't. Given a full scholarship to a second tier top school but not quite top is better than going to Harvard or Yale with no scholarship everytime in my opinion. The quality of your education won't differ, however, the Ivies are notorious for grade inflation and Hopkins the exact opposite end of the spectrum in that regard which means that if you're not on top of it from the jump at a school like Hopkins you're going to suffer on the open job market as individuals from less competitive schools will meet the ridiculous overemphasis on the undergraduate GPA when it comes to getting entry-level jobs right out of college.

But anyway, good luck because I think the college selection and application process is the pitts of the world. Hate it, just hate it. You can't count on anyone school anymore, it's a krump-shoot as the numbers of applicants now are just sky high in the modern age making differentiation between the species, pardon the pun, close to impossible. Might as well put a blindfold on, hold a raffle, and pick; because the honest truth is that in the end it pretty much does boil down to that unless you've got some distinguishing feature about you. The reality is that any number of people can fill the same slot as you and the school would be no worse or better for the wear 9 out of 10 times so don't take it too personally if you don't get in, and don't get your hopes up too much either.

Really, I think you'll find that you'll settle in just fine at any college. In my opinion, you'll meet friends anywhere you go, and in the end it's the friends you meet that make college worthwhile and liveable in my opinion. The education? Pshh...ever seen Goodwill Hunting? You can get that anywhere if you're motivated enough. College to me is more about the late nights going out with friends, putting on the pizza poundage, and just in general the endless days of chatter. Far down the road, what undergrad you went means actually very little.

In fact, if you're concerned about getting into grad school, I'd say you're far better off going to an acedmically less competitive university and sailing through with top marks than going to a "regarded" university but doing poorly.

I know as I look back, I'm simply astonished that some of the students from the last high school I attended, which was academically and socio-economically down-trodden, attended community college before transfering to a four year university, then going onto to get their masters; have now so many years later "technically" achieved FAR more than *several* friends of mine from an elite institution DESPITE these friends from the elite institution being FAR, FAR, FAR intellectually superior. I'm not just saying this, but I'm talking in all objectiveness, the gap in my first hand experience is GLARING. And yet? These friends from the elite undergrad program could get in NOWHERE upon graduating, instead taking on jobs as waiter, stock boy, or cafe cashier, etc. Yes, the economy was bad back then, but still...AND what's more they also could not get into grad school with their c-range GPAs...nevermind that the academic rigor and quality of students on average that they had to contend with were FAR greater. I mean once such friend actually transferred into the elite institution from a state school, and told me that it was the worst mistake of his life. That at the state school, he was #1 without trying, but at the elite institution he could barely pass classes despite working ten times harder, ruined his GPA, and more importantly ruined his post-college plans almost irrevocably. It's taken him YEARS now to "make-up" for the ramifications of that transfer into an instant "name" recognition school. Yeah, a name's nice. But the real world's more about meeting technical requirements such as minimum GPAs for new hires which to me can cause just as many injustices as it can justices.

Because of this, I say you know what? Undergrad is pure bolgna. Don't take it too much to heart where you get into or don't, because the reality is that in the end, it does NOT matter anywhere near as much as the undergraduate brochures and your parents probably have brain-washed you into believing.

TYM thanks for the advice I could go to NC state or A&T state university on a full ride most likely and A&T I'm sure I could go on a full ride. Both schools I'm sure I could excel at and I know that would help me find a job straight out of college. My parents haven't brainwashed me into where I should go its up to me and I wouldn't let anybody decide something of this importance but me.

35ft6
07-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Although I more or less agree with the underlying spirit of your post...Not if you don't get a full scholarship it isn't. Guess that again it comes down to what you hope to become. My roommate was offered a full ride to Harvard, Princeton, and Berkley for his graduate studies. He wants to become a professor. He said that Harvard would be the best because it's the most famous school in America, so although many people in the USA may feel the way you do, it would really be useful for him to go to Harvard because he's studying Chinese history, and people in China will open more doors for him upon hearing "Harvard" than "University of Washington" (which as another school that offered him a full ride). He eventually chose Princeton, though, because Harvard, as part of the deal, wanted him to teach two years after getting his Phd (he's getting his masters and phd at the same time... 7 years...).

Maybe this is an extreme example but it will apply in other situations, too, the perceived prestige of your school will increase the likelihood of employers thinking you're a capable person.You can't count on anyone school anymore, it's a krump-shoot as the numbers of applicants now are just sky high in the modern age making differentiation between the species, pardon the pun, close to impossible. Being a legacy helps. Being the child of a rich legacy helps immensely.Really, I think you'll find that you'll settle in just fine at any college. In my opinion, you'll meet friends anywhere you go, and in the end it's the friends you meet that make college worthwhile and liveable in my opinion. This is true, college is really at its most useful in presenting you with opportunities to network with people who have similar career interests as you. And that's probably the best reason to go to the best school you can. It's more likely that you'll meet a connected person/useful contact at Harvard or Stanford than a lesser school.

Also, I had a lot of friends in business school in NYC and they told me that a lot of the poshest investment banking firms tended to hire alumni from their alma mater, which happened to be Harvard in the case of Goldman Sachs. If I remember correctly. All else being equal, they'd hire the Harvard guy. And from what they said, even if the Harvard guy wasn't quite as impressive, Harvard Man might still have a slight edge. In general, having something in common with the person who makes decisions really helps, anything from being from the same hometown, or both being Eagle Scouts, or attending undergrad at the same school. It's just human nature. So another reason why any school might not do.In fact, if you're concerned about getting into grad school, I'd say you're far better off going to an acedmically less competitive university and sailing through with top marks than going to a "regarded" university but doing poorly. People have said that if you graduate top of your class at, say, Loyola law school, you might fare just as well as somebody who went to Harvard. But unless you're the top guy or gal, or near the top, you're probably better off being an average law student at Harvard or Yale. Just getting into those programs is tough and I think employers will be aware of that. Also, it's about making contacts. Because of this, I say you know what? Undergrad is pure bolgna. Don't take it too much to heart where you get into or don't, because the reality is that in the end, it does NOT matter anywhere near as much as the undergraduate brochures and your parents probably have brain-washed you into believing. Probably not, but consider what I said about networking, meeting people (professors, parents of friends, frat brothers, etc.), and people being naturally inclined to give more attention during hires to people they have something in common with.

Also, hanging out with smart people is always a good thing. And from what I've seen, the people who go to Yale, Princeton, and Harvard are generally smarter than people who attend lesser institutions. Smarter people tend to be more curious. You'll be exposed to more things and ideas spending time smart people. I'm using the ivies as prime examples...

chrisplchs
07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
hey stc, you really can't go wrong with state or A&T... i know for a fact state has a great engineering program which is what you are looking at. I know the coach there and I really think you will like him and the program. Also, have you given though to maybe other schools in the state like UNC and its affiliates?

stc9357
07-21-2006, 05:51 AM
hey stc, you really can't go wrong with state or A&T... i know for a fact state has a great engineering program which is what you are looking at. I know the coach there and I really think you will like him and the program. Also, have you given though to maybe other schools in the state like UNC and its affiliates?

Like somebody posted above environmental engineering is a realtively new program at many schools because environmental problems use to be in the job description of civil engineers. None of the UNC affliates have a environmental engineering program the closes is civil engineering and I don't want to do that. I don't plan on playing tennis at any of the schools I've mentioned except for maybe A&T. If I go to state or johns hopkins then I'll just do intramural tennis.

MegacedU
07-21-2006, 06:15 AM
JHU is really good...
to get in...
BUT
This is an EXTREMELY inaccurate post. While JHU is a great school, you won't need a 1400-1500 for it. Or anywhere even CLOSE to that. You don't even need that for Harvard, or Princeton for that matter. Two of my good friends are going to those and they didn't get any 1400/1500. In fact, you will need a 1280. Entirely attainable. However, only 96% sent scores that high. In comparison, when a school sets a standard for that it's typical that 99% submit scores to match. Having just done the college thing, I know a thing or two. Alright check this out in the meantime: http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=808&type=qfs&word=Johns%20Hopkins

stc9357
07-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks to all who have posted!

North
07-21-2006, 03:57 PM
I am currently finishing up a Master's in Environmental Engineering at JHU. Env Eng is definitely not a new thing at Hopkins. It is as competitive to get in as a typical Ivy and it is VERY competitive as a student - more, I think than Columbia, where I did undergrad.

There are some very bright people in the Env Eng dept and you will necessarily have to become very involved and proficient at the research as well as practical aspects of the field. But there are people working in a lot of different areas so you will likely find an area of interest. Make sure you are absolutely up to par and then some in chemistry - some people are a little surprised at how much chemistry is involved in Env Eng.

I've lived in and traveled to a lot of places (including growing up in and spending much of my life in NYC) and find Baltimore about average as cities go - better than some and worse than others.

stc9357
07-21-2006, 06:19 PM
I am currently finishing up a Master's in Environmental Engineering at JHU. Env Eng is definitely not a new thing at Hopkins. It is as competitive to get in as a typical Ivy and it is VERY competitive as a student - more, I think than Columbia, where I did undergrad.

There are some very bright people in the Env Eng dept and you will necessarily have to become very involved and proficient at the research as well as practical aspects of the field. But there are people working in a lot of different areas so you will likely find an area of interest. Make sure you are absolutely up to par and then some in chemistry - some people are a little surprised at how much chemistry is involved in Env Eng.

Thanks for the information and chemistry isn't a problem area for me I do well in it.

MonkeyPox
07-24-2006, 09:35 AM
I happened to play a guy in the semis of a tourney in Sonoma this weekend who either plays or played on Johns Hopkins tennis team. He's still 20, so I'm not sure which it is. What I don't understand is why is a college tennis player (though granted not likely a very good tennis team), playing the 4.0 division? Oh well, he got to play in the final at 110 degrees, so I was glad to let him do it.

kv581
07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Not if you don't get a full scholarship it isn't. Given a full scholarship to a second tier top school but not quite top is better than going to Harvard or Yale with no scholarship everytime in my opinion.
As far as I know, H/Y/P offer no merit scholarships for undergrads. Financial aid yes, but not merit scholarships. Graduate packages are different, but they are relatively common anyway for those accepted into US PhD programs.

I agree that it will not take SAT 1400-1500 (the old scale) for JHU acceptance. >1200 is probably a must, though, unless there are other very compelling reasons for them to consider you. Also, JHU School of Medicine is not "good," it is the top. A "good" medical school is Boston U, Ohio State, or Southern Cal.

beernutz
07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I think that would already be printed on the application. I plan on majoring engineering in not English.

Good call.

Craig Sheppard
07-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Ok time to be a jerk:p

Rank Poll Team Rating Rank W L T

1 1 Virginia 99.90 8 17- 0- 0
2 3 Cornell 96.18 10 11- 3- 0
3 2 Hofstra 95.33 24 17- 2- 0
4 4 Maryland 95.22 3 12- 5- 0
5 Duke 94.38 27 6- 2- 0
6 8 Princeton 94.21 7 11- 5- 0
7 7 Syracuse 93.99 1 10- 5- 0
8 6 Johns Hopkins 93.88 2 9- 5- 0

My school>your possible school in lacrosse.

Time to be a bigger jerk...hahahah my school >>> yours in lacrosse :-)