PDA

View Full Version : pros and gut

looseswing
07-20-2006, 01:32 PM
If all of the top pros get whatever strings they want for free, why would they all not just string with natural gut?

chrisplchs
07-20-2006, 01:58 PM
hmm... lets see.. what reasons could there be...

first of all, today's game is faster, but that doesn't mean the points are shorter. there used to be a lot more serve and volley style of play but that is pretty much nonexistent in singles. Because you have to hit more shots on every point and that sets are often times decided one or two critical points, players want the reassurance that their strings won't break in the middle of said critical points.

next, racquet technology has evolved to include superstiff, superlight (relatively speaking to yesteryears 15 oz + racquets). a string that had low power was necessary.

combine those two factors and you see where poly is sort of an "ideal" string for the racquets of today. More players are just bashing balls from the baseline, hitting huge topspin strokes of both sides, while using more powerful and lighter racquets. poly has low power so it helped keep shots in play from the more powerful racquets while the durability of poly brings peace of mind to the players that their string won't break in the middle of an important point

diredesire
07-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Another reason is that most pros do NOT get their gut strings for free. They might get a very good discount, but many, many pros do have to pay.

JohnS
07-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Another reason is that most pros do NOT get their gut strings for free. They might get a very good discount, but many, many pros do have to pay.

True. As much as players quit playing with a racquet after new balls are put into play, string distributors wouldn't want to give anyone free string. If they do get free string, the racquet must be marked, liked Sampras'. He had both the Wilson and Babolat stencil on his racquet.

jackson vile
07-21-2006, 09:38 AM
A lot of it has to do nothing more than what they started out with, it is hard to switch later on when you have a certain set up.

Look at James Blake, he can't give up his Dunlop.

It is nothing more than a trend, they come and go

tennis_nerd22
07-21-2006, 09:44 AM

pro's have to pay for their strings? wow that sucks...

chrisplchs
07-21-2006, 07:04 PM
some pro's do have to pay for some of their string... they are called journeymen like guys with rankings in the thousand.

I would say every top 100 player gets their string for free if they choose to

Lefty Spin
07-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Actually, it depends on what type of string you use. It is my understanding that everyone who plays an ATP tournament will get a reel of Luxilon of their choice for free. Everyone except the top 150 ATP has to pay for VS gut. For the WTA, I think the rules are similar. I just don't know to many people playing WTA tournaments.

emcee
07-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Actually even top 100 pros don't really make that much after paying for coaching, etc and they do have to pay for stringing.

Of course, I'd still do it if I could in a heartbeat...

looseswing
07-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, for example not even a majority of the players in the top ten string with gut.

chrisplchs
07-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Well, for example not even a majority of the players in the top ten string with gut.

but do you think that is a matter of personal preference or because it isn't cost efficient?

PBODY99
07-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Durability rears its ugly head. The modern game destrouys most soft strings, hence the move to poly.:cool:

stormholloway
07-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Are you really debating the affordability of gut as a reason why pros don't use it?

That's just plain stupid.

OrangeOne
07-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Actually even top 100 pros don't really make that much after paying for coaching, etc and they do have to pay for stringing.

I take it you're referring to players *outside* the top 100 here? Most players who stay inside it for a period lead fairly (very) comfortable lives, and would barely notice a stringing bill...

rasajadad
07-24-2006, 04:39 AM
Today's game is all about spin, hence the move to at least 1/2 poly set-ups. Now that almost everyone switches frames every ball change, tension maintenance counts for little.
I wonder if tennis was like golf and players could go on the court with a limited number of racquets in their bag; What would they string with?

bsandy
07-24-2006, 06:04 AM
The stringers in Indy strung plenty of gut. About 1/3 of the players used gut in some way. Just off the top of my head of that 1/3, 1/2 used it just as crosses, 1/4 used it as mains for Poly crosses, and 1/4 had full gut jobs.

Rabbit
07-24-2006, 06:41 AM
There is something else to consider. While the top pros do this or do that, it doesn't necessarily translate well to the club level. John McEnroe said that he didn't think synthetics (he still won't call it poly) is not good for net play. Well, if you look, there are plenty of top doubles teams who string with poly, Knowles and Nestor being one of the top of my head, and they play plenty of net. But, they are pros. I found in my experience that McEnroe's statement had some validity in my game. When I used TIMO, I found I didn't play net as well. Now, I'm using a good multi or (upon my next stringing) natural gut. And, I am playing net a whole lot better. There were other parts that dropped off and improved: my returns were better with poly I've since adjusted and everything's cool, my serves are better with a multi, I get more action and pace on my serve. I'm stringing tighter with a multi and I think that helps serve and volley.

Short of this is, what works for the pros may not work for mortals. Much like advice on rackets, I'd suggest that you keep an open mind and try to find the string/tension that works best for you. Don't emulate the big boys. James Blake plays with ALU in a MidPlus frame strung at 68. I don't know that many club players' arms would stand up to that for too long. I think a good multi or natural gut is the ultimate for a club player, again IMO.