PDA

View Full Version : Hey Computer Nerds

MegacedU
07-21-2006, 07:27 AM
So I bought my new Macbook yesterday and so far I'm loving it. However, I can't get AIM or MSN to install. According to my computer, there's no application for it to use. Any suggestions? It's driving me crazy!

mabuhay
07-21-2006, 07:44 AM
So I bought my new Macbook yesterday and so far I'm loving it. However, I can't get AIM or MSN to install. According to my computer, there's no application for it to use. Any suggestions? It's driving me crazy!

search "aim" or "msn" on your computer. delete whatever file you find. reinstall the application.

FeŮa14
07-21-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm not too good with computers but I always thought you couldn't get AIM or MSN with Apple as they are different companies?

Maybe try to install one of the older versions of MSN, say MSN Messenger 5 for Mac.

HyperHorse
07-21-2006, 07:45 AM
buy a PC. :-D

mabuhay
07-21-2006, 07:56 AM
buy a PC. :-D
she doesn't have to if she has an Intel-Based Mac.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

matchpoint
07-21-2006, 09:56 AM
I thought macs are supposed to be user friendly?

Why do they run windows and office on macs when they are supposed to have better software and operating system?

SrGuapo
07-21-2006, 10:05 AM
The software (And recently hardware) for Mac is completely different than for PC. OSX (and its predecessors) are derived from Linux/BSD, while windows is a separate beast. You will have to make sure than any software you download/buy is 100% mac compatible. If a program like AIM/MSN has a mac version, it will be a separate download.

mucat
07-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Ha, a Macbook, enuff sayin...

equinox
07-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Just use the search function of http://www.versiontracker.com to look for mac software.

Here's a wikipedia listing of mac chat clients.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mac_OS-only_instant_messengers

For msn you could try Adium.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adium
http://adiumx.com/

Or try out Fire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_%28instant_messenger%29
http://fire.sourceforge.net/

Here's a wikipedia listing of mac software.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_software

MegacedU
07-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Actually, I didn't make a thread so you could come here and insult my sixteen-hundred dollar system. It's not like I bought the base model. You, on the other hand, had nothing at all valid to add to help me with my situation. Nor did you even provide a respectable argument. Tell me something, have you ever sat and really researched macs to the extent that you can formulate an educated judgement? Probably not. You can go back to browsing on your mother's computer now.

Anyway, I'm still looking for a way to get AIM. Thanks for the links equinox.

mucat
07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Actually, I didn't make a thread so you could come here and insult my sixteen-hundred dollar system. It's not like I bought the base model. You, on the other hand, had nothing at all valid to add to help me with my situation. Nor did you even provide a respectable argument. Tell me something, have you ever sat and really researched macs to the extent that you can formulate an educated judgement? Probably not. You can go back to browsing on your mother's computer now.

Mac user, enuff sayin...
:) <--As you can see, I did not forget my simley this time.

zhan
07-21-2006, 11:46 AM
computers nerds dont use MACs...
=\

Ky0shiro
07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
computers nerds dont use MACs...
=\

False..

Anyways MegacedU I don't see why your computer cannot run AIM. My friends who own Macs can all run AIM, I'll ask them and get back to you on that when I can:cool: .

scez
07-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Try the forum I told you yesterday!!! www.notebookforums.com

Their is a program called bootcamp which will allow you to run windows and mac on your computer (you get to choose which to use when you boot up your comp), but it is only a beta now. The full ready version should be released around nov-jan called leopard.

Your problem is probably that you are downloaded an AIM that is programed for windows and not apple like others have said.

SrGuapo
07-21-2006, 12:47 PM

Actually the Macbooks (and PowerBooks) are excellent laptops. I would never buy a desktop mac, and if it weren't for the price premium, I would have gotten a macbook for my laptop. Macs are great for user friendliness and have a great UI> Unfortunately Mac OS in general can be a bit slow and the hardware is difficult to replace (a bit better with the new Intel systems). Quite a bit of software, specifically games, only target Windows, as it is the most dominant consumer OS.

matchpoint
07-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately Mac OS in general can be a bit slow and the hardware is difficult to replace (a bit better with the new Intel systems). Quite a bit of software, specifically games, only target Windows, as it is the most dominant consumer OS.

Sounds very discouraging from someone who owns a mac. :(

MegacedU
07-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Try the forum I told you yesterday!!! www.notebookforums.com

Their is a program called bootcamp which will allow you to run windows and mac on your computer (you get to choose which to use when you boot up your comp), but it is only a beta now. The full ready version should be released around nov-jan called leopard.

Your problem is probably that you are downloaded an AIM that is programed for windows and not apple like others have said.
I tried that site, go check me out, i'm MegacedU there too. I created a thread and got one repsonse in 8 hours. Lol

admin_old
07-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Meg,
There is already a piece of software on your Mac Book that can talk with AIM users. Itís in your applications folder and its called IChat. Also there is a another piece of chat software for mac that can talk with AIM, MSN, ICQ, iRC, yahoo and more. Itís called Fire. Its free check it out here.

Hope this helps.

~Jeremy

SydneyJim
07-21-2006, 02:11 PM
comp nerd and CS player w00t haha

zhan
07-21-2006, 02:19 PM
comp nerd and CS player w00t haha
lol...
im in CAL-M
>.<

scez
07-21-2006, 02:48 PM
You should probably have posted in the apple peer to peer thing.

max
07-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow, meg, you just asked for all the PC people to come and jump on you! Why not just call the mac help desk?

MegacedU
07-21-2006, 08:09 PM
They're kind of rude. Lol, I was just going to bring it to the store but the employees assume you're stupid until you prove yourself smart.

Roffey
07-21-2006, 09:30 PM
They're kind of rude. Lol, I was just going to bring it to the store but the employees assume you're stupid until you prove yourself smart.

I like Macs, but they're too pricey for what you get. Plus any time I update the OS it gets slower and slower.

Anyways, are you sure you downloaded the Mac version of AIM?

MegacedU
07-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Yep I actually solved my problem. Thanks for your help guys

equinox
07-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Meg,
There is already a piece of software on your Mac Book that can talk with AIM users. Itís in your applications folder and its called IChat. Also there is a another piece of chat software for mac that can talk with AIM, MSN, ICQ, iRC, yahoo and more. Itís called Fire. Its free check it out here.

Hope this helps.

~Jeremy
Where's john, the former admin? :confused:

Btw nice name. :mrgreen:

MegacedU
07-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Next question: How do I save photos from websites and set them as my wall-paper?

HyperHorse
07-24-2006, 04:29 AM
Next question: How do I save photos from websites and set them as my wall-paper?

oh god you dont even know how to figure out things on your own?
*raucous laughter*

tennis-skater
07-24-2006, 04:36 AM
i just bought a highend 1500$ gaming computer right before the macbook cameout now im kinda regretting it. you can dual boot a macbook into windows so you get the best of both worlds.

SydneyJim comp nerd and CS player w00t haha

i play cs too. which version do you play? whats your name so we can play sometime? mines cameorn91dc

Duzza
07-24-2006, 04:45 AM
Love how you call us nerds :P.

Duzza
07-24-2006, 04:47 AM
I dunno bout macs but i just:
Right click on them
Save Image as..
Choose location
Right click on file
Set as wallpaper

HyperHorse
07-24-2006, 04:47 AM
i just bought a highend 1500$ gaming computer right before the macbook cameout now im kinda regretting it. you can dual boot a macbook into windows so you get the best of both worlds.

i play cs too. which version do you play? whats your name so we can play sometime? mines cameorn91dc

$1500 will buy u far from a "highend gaming PC"....
what are your specs???

LoneGun
07-24-2006, 05:00 AM
$1500 will buy u far from a "highend gaming PC"....
what are your specs???

I disagree. $400-500 on high end graphic card, $200 on middle range CPU (doesn't matter that much in most games), $200 for a pretty good mother board, $150 for 2GB of ram, $200 on a awesome sound card. $100 for power supply and $50 for a dvd writer, that would give u a pretty damn awesome PC.

BTW, OSX has pretty poorly written 3D driver. A game like WOW would perform much worse in OSX than in windows on a same Mac. So if you have a Mac with intel CPU, it would be better to play it in windows.

Duzza
07-24-2006, 05:19 AM
I disagree. $400-500 on high end graphic card, $200 on middle range CPU (doesn't matter that much in most games), $200 for a pretty good mother board, $150 for 2GB of ram, $200 on a awesome sound card. $100 for power supply and $50 for a dvd writer, that would give u a pretty damn awesome PC.

BTW, OSX has pretty poorly written 3D driver. A game like WOW would perform much worse in OSX than in windows on a same Mac. So if you have a Mac with intel CPU, it would be better to play it in windows.
All i know is im a L33T HAX0R and would 0WN you guys at BF2.

LoneGun
07-24-2006, 05:32 AM
All i know is im a L33T HAX0R and would 0WN you guys at BF2.

Unless you are one of those bombers or tank/APC *****s, I seriously doubt that you can own me in bf2 :cool:

Duzza
07-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Unless you are one of those bombers or tank/APC *****s, I seriously doubt that you can own me in bf2 :cool:
I used to fly a lot and just pile up kills, but now i just go assault and save my teams *****. And yes yes i would.

LoneGun: oh no please don't shoot me, i only want to live
Duzza: BOOM HEADSHOT!

HyperHorse
07-24-2006, 05:35 AM

Look i asked for SPECIFICATIONS, not how much you spent on each component.

Duzza
07-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Come on Hyper, no need to get all riled up like that.

LoneGun
07-24-2006, 05:39 AM

You said you can't get a high end PC with 1500 dollars, I'm just saying that you can. I have a good online stores that you can check out the componants within price : www.ncix.com

HyperHorse
07-24-2006, 05:52 AM
You said you can't get a high end PC with 1500 dollars, I'm just saying that you can. I have a good online stores that you can check out the componants within price : www.ncix.com

oh right, makes sense now... you're in CANADA...
well we pay a bit more over here for our hardware....
:rolleyes:

dmastous
07-24-2006, 06:53 AM

As a veteran of these boards (and inexplicably a lightning rod for abuse) you of all people shouldn't be surprised at that kind of reply....
Also, the Mac vs PC war is about as heated as the Nadal/Federer war, so you're twice bit.
The program you need is called Fire;
This should allow you to connect to a number of different instant messenger clients including AIM ICQ and Yahoo Messenger.
I'm not a Mac user so I can't stand behind the program, but it's suggested by people I trust not to stear me wrong.