PDA

View Full Version : Question About Touring Europe

loki6836
07-21-2006, 07:45 AM
So heres the deal me and my older bro both graduate the same year(him college and me high school) and we want to go to Europe for a graduation trip(our parents have agreed to pay for it) just us, some clothes, and a credit card. and i was wondering if some people who live in Europe or have been to Europe could suggest some places to go and things to do. We will probably be over there for 2-3 weeks and we want to go all over Europe. England, Germany, France, Switzerland, etc... Also would yall suggest getting a rental car or i have heard Europe has trains that will pretty much take you anywhere(not sure if this is correct) which would you suggest rental car or trains/subways.

SydneyJim
07-21-2006, 07:52 AM
is this a vacation or do you want to play some sats?

loki6836
07-21-2006, 09:03 AM
It is a vacation and i dont play on playing in any tournaments but me and my bro both love tennis and would love to play on some spanish clay or english grass, so we will def. be playing tennis while over there but that is not the main purpose of the trip.

nickybol
07-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Railways over here are very good, all over Europe. But the whole of europe in just 3 weeks? Seems a bit short to me. Well depends on what do you want to see? Do you just want to go sight-seeing and see the touristic attractions? Do you really want to get to know the countries you are staying in?

loki6836
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah i know its not very long, but unfortunetly my family is no where near rich and that is as long as they can afford for us to be over there. And as far as what we want to see i wanna see the touristy stuff but i also wanna like go to the best bars and nightclubs and hang out in the local coffee shops. Also i was thinking about going over and participating in the running of the bulls how much of a bad idea is that?

diegaa
07-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Dont miss prague and neither edinburgh.
here is the deal: if u have that much short time, dont rent a car. Travel by train (a 2 weeks/ 1 month eurail pass recommended) during the nights and get you 6 hour sleep. fresh as a lettuce.
If u r coming to spain, dont expect to find any clay courts in madrid. Barcelona is the place of the dirt.
Also, the bulls stuff (it is called "encierros", dont get yourself confused by the "corridas") you have to hurry. It is during this days. The main one, in pamplona (San Fermines) are over. Check for a town on the internet which has those encierros. The "encierros" are usually held during the festivity of the town (i.e. hundreads of drunk people around). You ll get lots of fun. A piece of advise: dont run, just watch. Trust me.

tennis-n-sc
07-21-2006, 10:22 AM
For history, Italy would be hard to beat. Germany and Austria are very nice and you may find some relatives there since Germany sent more immigrants to this country that all other European countries. The British Isles for a common language. Have fun, be careful and don't be an ugly American.

nickybol
07-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah i know its not very long, but unfortunetly my family is no where near rich and that is as long as they can afford for us to be over there. And as far as what we want to see i wanna see the touristy stuff but i also wanna like go to the best bars and nightclubs and hang out in the local coffee shops. Also i was thinking about going over and participating in the running of the bulls how much of a bad idea is that?
Well, cut down and hotels and sleep in your tent at the camping-sites that are all over Europe. Buy a European Railway pass.

For coffee shops, I recommend my own country, The Netherlands! Very easy to get some stuff!

Participating in the running of the bulls is a bad idea.

Please don`t go to the beaches of France or Spain, beaches loaded with tourists. It so boring. Please don`t go in a bus together with 40 Japanese with cameras hanging around their neck.

Please don`t go to the touristy stuff like the big ben, the dutch wooden shoes thing, the eiffel tower. You can buy a book with photographs too, much easier. Experience life.

Paloheimo
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
And who wouldn't want to visit Helsinki, the capital of Finland, especially after seeing all these lovely post cards?

http://www.greetings.fi/

;)

ericsson
07-24-2006, 12:48 PM
come to see belgium man, (if you like beers) :p

Hartzy
07-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Something to keep in mind that a lot of people don't realize about Europe is that flights are often cheaper than trains. However, the experience of going on the TGV or ICE is mindblowing if you grew up in America. I suggest a stop in one of the cities in NRW Germany. It's not a really heavy tourist area, and if you just want to take some life in, go into one of the old cities on a Friday or Saturday night and the average joes are the nicest people you'll meet. If they find out you decided to visit there, instead of Munich, they will also probably buy you a round;)

I hear great things about Switzerland even though I've never been there. Sad thing is, I'm about to be living in Switzerland in as of August 5 and it will be my first time ever there.

But pretty much where ever you go, you'll be satisfied. There is something about Europe that is fascinating if you just love to take in culture.

diegaa
07-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Something to keep in mind that a lot of people don't realize about Europe is that flights are often cheaper than trains.

No, you r wrong. If you r planning a trip to europe, the best way to go is normal trains. High speed trains like TGV or AVE are way expensive, but the smart thing to do is to buy a period pass.
Perhaps, sometimes, it more cost/effective to travel by plane just to go and back to ONE city, but the pass is the best deal here.
Furthermore, you can be free as a bird and not tied to a previous schedule.
Also, as I said above, you can travel by night (highly recommended) and sleep on the train.

check it out
http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/passes/eurail_index.htm

edberg505
07-24-2006, 02:05 PM
France is awesome, but with so much stuff to see there you won't be able to do it all esp. since it's the summer. England is great but insanely expensive. Switzerland is nice and just a hop, skip, and a jump from France. Scotland is good too. I would say don't rent a car. It's too much of a hassle. And the public transportation system in Europe is more than sufficient. If you want to hit all these places in a short time I'd go with airplane. It's insanely cheap to fly within Europe. With companies like, Eurojet and Ryan Air just to name a few, those are some airlines that cater to people that are trying to save some money. Of course you could travel by train which is cool too because you get to see a lot of the country side. And watch Eurotrip before you go. hahahaha

nickybol
07-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Don`t forget to visit some old buildings, like castles. They don`t have such old building in the US.

edberg505
07-24-2006, 02:09 PM
No, you r wrong. If you r planning a trip to europe, the best way to go is normal trains. High speed trains like TGV or AVE are way expensive, but the smart thing to do is to buy a period pass.
Perhaps, sometimes, it more cost/effective to travel by plane just to go and back to ONE city, but the pass is the best deal here.
Also, as I said above, you can travel by night (highly recommended) and sleep on the train.

check it out

Yeah, I had a rail pass and I bought mines through the STA, www.statravel.com. It's awesome being a student. hahaha. I also had a International Student Identity Card, ISIC card which got me some discounts on loads of stuff.

Hartzy
07-24-2006, 03:40 PM

check it out

You can't say that exactly. It also depends how many trips you plan to make within your stay. My brother once flew from Rome to Berlin on less than $30. The ticket was mostly taxes. You can get REALLY cheap flights in Europe you just need to know where to look. A lot of the time it's a fluke of luck, but I know some people who are really good at it. My mom's friend lives in London and she is planning for my parents to come visit me next summer. And according to her, she can get my parents from London, to Zurich, and to Dusseldorf all on less than 100 euros each.

Buuurnz
07-30-2006, 09:49 AM
go to Hamburg in Germany, London in England, Madrid and Marbella in Spain, Rome in Italy and Venice as well, probably Paris as well!Visit Amsterdam and Basel in Switzerland and if u get that far go to Athens haha! looong trip

ilovecarlos
07-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Nobody has mentioned my favorite place..Ireland. The sights are glorious, especially in the summer..but the people are the best thing about Ireland..that and the beer! The Irish love Americans and love to talk so just walk into a pub and you have a bunch of new best friends! Yes, go kiss the Blarney stone...yeah, it's corny, but the castle is cool and the walk up it is pretty tough, plus you can see for miles from the top! Yep, don't miss Ireland!

DragonNeedSpank
07-30-2006, 10:06 AM
im scare to go to europe becuz i watched hostile like 2 days ago =/!!! WUT IF THAT HAPPENS TO ME??!

framebreaker
07-30-2006, 10:47 AM
you should avoid east europe. especially for groups consisting of only women.
and, welcome to Europe-the intellectual heaven.

Buuurnz
07-30-2006, 11:17 AM
oh yes and I'm scared of the U.S. cuz I watched saw, Sleepy hollow and some other movies!

nickybol
07-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Why should you avoid eastern Europe? There`s no need to do so. It`s not like Iraq or Colombia. It`s perfectly save.

ilovecarlos
07-30-2006, 12:38 PM
im scare to go to europe becuz i watched hostile like 2 days ago =/!!! WUT IF THAT HAPPENS TO ME??!

Dude..you're from Baltimore??? You scare me!

framebreaker
07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Why should you avoid eastern Europe? There`s no need to do so. It`s not like Iraq or Colombia. It`s perfectly save.
sure if you want to be kidnapped an forced to prostitute yourself in underground brothels - go ahead and join the other thousands of women that have the honour each year! how naive. what do you know about east europe? so typical

nickybol
08-01-2006, 02:07 AM
What do I know about Eastern Europe? I`ve been there quite a lot. Believe me, these things are very rare. Where did you read this stuff?

Dedans Penthouse
08-01-2006, 06:43 AM
Since you mentioned time constraints (2-3 weeks), for a taste of Europe, I'd go with the "big 3" and spread out from there. London, Paris and Rome for starters.

It's a shame because each country has so much to offer outside their respective capitals as welll. Since you're pressed for time, I'm throwing out some broad generalizations; condensed "snippets" if you will based on some of my experiences.

Starting with the British Isles: Ireland was a surprise. I thought it was going to be picturesque and all, but I didn't know how spectacular and dramatic the landscape is in areas. West coast: Galway; southwest "Ring of Kerry" (penninsulas, Killarney) are absolutely georgeous--northwest Europe's version of Big Sur, California.

France: I don't know if you're thinking of "doing" Europe in the summer, because if you do, Paris is mostly "on vaction." That said, Paris is a must (esp. in spring); the most beautiful city in the world--bar none! So, so many regions outside Paris that are truly worth a visit, but if you'd want to experience "French country" you couldn't go wrong in the villages of Burgundy; truly lovely. One thing about France in general and Paris in particular: do not wear white tennis shoes; de classe'. When in doubt, black, black and black.

Italy? Where to begin? Rome: crazy, car-smoggy, loud...and great! Put on walking shoes and discover major history/culture, etc. If you're going to Rome, you have to also somehow try to squeeze in Florence and Venice. "Italian country?" Tuscany! If in the north "Lake Como" region (good "red clay" tennis clubs btw), do a quick side trip into Lugano, Switzerland. Other side of "northern" Italian? Try The Dolomites; mysterious, beeautiful mountains!

Spain: Again, if pressed for time, do Madrid and a "day tour" of Toledo. As for the "beaches" I wouldn't bother with Costa del Sol, I'd opt for Mallorca (or better yet) a place "up in the hills" overlooking the beaches down below. Barcellona (again, time permitting) is a "worth it" interesting city, e.g. the quirky archetecture.

Germany: a slew of interesting cities (besides "banking/boring" Frankfurt-en-Mein). Munich (esp. Oktoberfest) is a fun town and the Rhein region is beautiful. You could do a side trip to Amsterdam; nice town, but unfortunately with a "seedy" (scuzzy) element.

Scandanavia: Norway's mountainous scenary is rugged and spectacular. Would take a rail and do the west coast (Burgen, etc.). Sweden is not as rugged/picturesque as Norway, but Stockholm is a pretty, albeit poor man's version of Venice (lots of islands). Coppenhagen is worth a trip if you're going through Germany. As for Finland, Helsinki is a "foot-friendly" small capital and the "old capital" Turku in the west is nice, but summertime in Finland (Scandanavia in general) is more about taking a break from the long winter and doing that "communing with nature" thing by settling in and spending "slow-time" at leisure near the water in a cottage, taking sauna, (beer/sausages!) etc. It's not really about "quick" stops here and there.

Russia: getting "papers" beforehand is the biggest hassle. Being that you're from Georgia (the U.S. state not the Russian "Georgia") it would be a long, drawn-out process; not worth it. You wouldn't believe the "form details" that you have to fill out.....I'm talking about "personal information" (jobs, contacts, etc.). Bizzarre. Do note, that even though Communism is dead, it's still "different" in Russia. There is still a "3rd world" vibe to it. That said, if you really want to go; I'd look at taking a side trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg (and back! lol) and forget Moscow.

Oh, and about the Eiffel Tower as being too touristy? What a view. Get there in the morning before the crowds gather (just before it opens) and you'll save yourself much time. Was lucky to have a host who had a 'contact' w/night manager. The view is worth it. At night, it's really sweet when the "lights" go beserk on the hour; it lights up like a sparkler. You have only 2 weeks?....Do Paris!

nickybol
08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
You only have 2 weeks? Only do Paris! Stay in Paris!

Mr. Penthouse...learn how to spell names.

Dedans Penthouse
08-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Mr. Penthouse...learn how to spell names.
ok, assh0le

nickybol
08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
What`s the seedy element of Amsterdam?

Dedans Penthouse
08-01-2006, 02:15 PM
nickybol,

Yep, I knew that "seedy" comment regarding your precious little Amsterdam would get your "grapes" all twisted in knots. Yet, it's quite alright for you and you little bigoted buddy exia to take one unsolicitated US potshot after another with impunity, right?

Not quite, Ignatz. Well, actually you can, but I will call your hyprocritcal, bigoted, cowarded *** on it--everytime. Like I said, Amsterdam: nice town, AND, there unfortunately IS a "seedy" (druggy/hustler) element in it. Don't blithely take potshots at my "neck of the woods" and in the next breath have the hypocritical gall to get indignant about a simple "seedy element" observation. I took the time to discover, explore your neck of the woods--you haven't scratched the surface of mine; you don't know my world. My "seedy element" comment was to describe (for better or worse) what IS a part of the landscape in Amsterdam; it was not a 'swipe' for 'swipe's' sake---you see, THAT is where you and I differ; so get off your high horse, you provincial bigot. You've nothing to be indignant about; more to the point, take a look at your (and your Euro-buddy's) posts....actually, you don't have to. If you're honest enough with yourself, you already know exactly what I'm talking about....bigot. And that too, is not a swipe--just an observation and dare I say, an accurate one at that.

nickybol
08-02-2006, 03:51 AM
I just asked what the seedy element was...no offence. I`d just like to know how foreigners think about Amsterdam. I know the coffee shops, prostitutes, that kind of stuff can seem a bit threatening to foreign tourists. I think it is just perception, and it is the case with every big city. Cities always look unsafer to a tourist than to a local. You know the language as a local, you know the culture: walking through the city is totally different if you are a local (or at least speak the language). I feel safer when in Berlin than in Barcelona. Obviously, the only reason for that would be I speak German. I feel safer in Paris than in Prague, for the same reason.

But I guess if you really want safety, a life with no risks, you should go to Norway and Sweden. I feel perfectly safe there all the time, even though I don`t speak the language.

But what is life without danger? It would be quite boring.

nickybol
08-02-2006, 03:52 AM
double post

whealben
08-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Since you mentioned time constraints (2-3 weeks), for a taste of Europe, I'd go with the "big 3" and spread out from there. London, Paris and Rome for starters.

It's a shame because each country has so much to offer outside their respective capitals as welll. Since you're pressed for time, I'm throwing out some broad generalizations; condensed "snippets" if you will based on some of my experiences.

Starting with the British Isles: Ireland was a surprise. I thought it was going to be picturesque and all, but I didn't know how spectacular and dramatic the landscape is in areas. West coast: Galway; southwest "Ring of Kerry" (penninsulas, Killarney) are absolutely georgeous--northwest Europe's version of Big Sur, California.

France: I don't know if you're thinking of "doing" Europe in the summer, because if you do, Paris is mostly "on vaction." That said, Paris is a must (esp. in spring); the most beautiful city in the world--bar none! So, so many regions outside Paris that are truly worth a visit, but if you'd want to experience "French country" you couldn't go wrong in the villages of Burgundy; truly lovely. One thing about France in general and Paris in particular: do not wear white tennis shoes; de classe'. When in doubt, black, black and black.

Italy? Where to begin? Rome: crazy, car-smoggy, loud...and great! Put on walking shoes and discover major history/culture, etc. If you're going to Rome, you have to also somehow try to squeeze in Florence and Venice. "Italian country?" Tuscany! If in the north "Lake Como" region (good "red clay" tennis clubs btw), do a quick side trip into Lugano, Switzerland. Other side of "northern" Italian? Try The Dolomites; mysterious, beeautiful mountains!

Spain: Again, if pressed for time, do Madrid and a "day tour" of Toledo. As for the "beaches" I wouldn't bother with Costa del Sol, I'd opt for Mallorca (or better yet) a place "up in the hills" overlooking the beaches down below. Barcellona (again, time permitting) is a "worth it" interesting city, e.g. the quirky archetecture.

Germany: a slew of interesting cities (besides "banking/boring" Frankfurt-en-Mein). Munich (esp. Oktoberfest) is a fun town and the Rhein region is beautiful. You could do a side trip to Amsterdam; nice town, but unfortunately with a "seedy" (scuzzy) element.

Scandanavia: Norway's mountainous scenary is rugged and spectacular. Would take a rail and do the west coast (Burgen, etc.). Sweden is not as rugged/picturesque as Norway, but Stockholm is a pretty, albeit poor man's version of Venice (lots of islands). Coppenhagen is worth a trip if you're going through Germany. As for Finland, Helsinki is a "foot-friendly" small capital and the "old capital" Turku in the west is nice, but summertime in Finland (Scandanavia in general) is more about taking a break from the long winter and doing that "communing with nature" thing by settling in and spending "slow-time" at leisure near the water in a cottage, taking sauna, (beer/sausages!) etc. It's not really about "quick" stops here and there.

Russia: getting "papers" beforehand is the biggest hassle. Being that you're from Georgia (the U.S. state not the Russian "Georgia") it would be a long, drawn-out process; not worth it. You wouldn't believe the "form details" that you have to fill out.....I'm talking about "personal information" (jobs, contacts, etc.). Bizzarre. Do note, that even though Communism is dead, it's still "different" in Russia. There is still a "3rd world" vibe to it. That said, if you really want to go; I'd look at taking a side trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg (and back! lol) and forget Moscow.

Oh, and about the Eiffel Tower as being too touristy? What a view. Get there in the morning before the crowds gather (just before it opens) and you'll save yourself much time. Was lucky to have a host who had a 'contact' w/night manager. The view is worth it. At night, it's really sweet when the "lights" go beserk on the hour; it lights up like a sparkler. You have only 2 weeks?....Do Paris!

I cant tell you how much I agree with this. I've been to every country in Europe bar Bulgaria,Romania and Iceland/Greenland.

Every city has its plusses and minuses, but on a limited budget and time, the big three are London-Paris-Rome.

;) Just dont judge a whole country by your visits to their capitals. And if you have time, Berlin and Copenhagen would be the next on my list.

Hope you have a great time. :D

nickybol
08-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Remember Iceland and Greenland are not the same! Thousands of kilometres part them!

You`re right, don`t judge a whole country by their capital. But I`d say, you can`t judge a country if you stay there just a few days/weeks.

I actually find Berlin quite boring. Lot`s of new buildings over there. Much glass, not much history anymore. There`s not much left of the wall, well there is a museum, you can see checkpoint charly, but that`s about it.

I can highly recommend you Prague, although it is a bit touristy during summertime, but it is a beautiful city.

whealben
08-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Remember Iceland and Greenland are not the same! Thousands of kilometres part them!

You`re right, don`t judge a whole country by their capital. But I`d say, you can`t judge a country if you stay there just a few days/weeks.

I actually find Berlin quite boring. Lot`s of new buildings over there. Much glass, not much history anymore. There`s not much left of the wall, well there is a museum, you can see checkpoint charly, but that`s about it.

I can highly recommend you Prague, although it is a bit touristy during summertime, but it is a beautiful city.

;) I wasn't thinking of Iceland and Greenland as the same country. I read Geography at University as a subsiduary subject. I bracketed them as they are so small in population and so expensive they aren't really on a tourist attraction. More for the dedicated traveller to visit.

I was in Berlin in 1981. The wall was a very real thing, the transition between East and West via Checkpoint Charlie a terrifying experience, knowing you had an East German Guard's gun trained on you.

It was an experience, but West Berlin was exactly the opposite.

So maybe I'm living in the past. Like St Petersburg (Leningrad in my day) and Moscow, they are places I needed to see, while uttering a huge sigh of gratitude that I live in a free country and I would go back there only when hell froze over.

I loved Warsaw, Prague and Budapest though. Beautiful cities, Warsaw in particular has made such attempts to rebuild. I just loved the whole Polish experience. I wish I could say the same about Russia, Ukraine and Belorus.

:( They scared me.

Still glad I went though. :D

Phil
08-02-2006, 05:08 PM
So heres the deal me and my older bro both graduate the same year(him college and me high school) and we want to go to Europe for a graduation trip(our parents have agreed to pay for it) just us, some clothes, and a credit card. and i was wondering if some people who live in Europe or have been to Europe could suggest some places to go and things to do. We will probably be over there for 2-3 weeks and we want to go all over Europe. England, Germany, France, Switzerland, etc... Also would yall suggest getting a rental car or i have heard Europe has trains that will pretty much take you anywhere(not sure if this is correct) which would you suggest rental car or trains/subways.

You've got some good advice from other posters so far. I would agree wholeheartedly with Dedans about sticking with a few major capitol cities and using those as your "base" to explore other areas. I would NOT recommend you go from city to city and place to place, staying at each one for a day or two. You can always return again, and cover the ground you missed (and of course, you'll miss a bit in only 3 weeks total).

You're lucky...I wish I could go on this trip. Here is my personal recomendations, based on the limited time you have and on my own somewhat limited experience of Europe:

1. England - Spend 4 days at least, in London. You'll need that much time. Then, go to the Lake District...AMAZING scenery. From there, Edinburgh.

2. Spain - Barcelona, Madrid and then Andulusia (Sevilla and Granada)...talk about Amazing countryside. Friendly people, too.

3. Italy - Rome, Venice, Florence and, if you have time, Sicily. As Dedans said, "Where to begin." Italy, to me, is the "Jewel" of continental Europe.

4. Athens - Amazing, mind-boggling history. Take the ferry from Italy, visit a bit of the Pelopenese, but no need to spend too much time in Athens...2 days is fine.

There are other places that are great, of course, but with only a few weeks tops, if it were me, personally, I'd skip C. Europe (Germany, Prague, etc.). Of course, many people would recommend Paris and France...I would too, but I prefer the places I listed above. You can always go back and do a France-only, or France-Germany trip in a few years.

It all depends, of course, on what YOU like to do and see. But if you like castles, England and Spain are the bomb. Food? Italy is in a class of its own. The "Cradle of Western Civilization"? Athens is there for you (and the food there is pretty darn scrumptious, too).

Good luck, have fun and...watch your wallet (really).

nickybol
08-03-2006, 01:58 AM
I was in Berlin in 1981. The wall was a very real thing, the transition between East and West via Checkpoint Charlie a terrifying experience, knowing you had an East German Guard's gun trained on you.

Germany was united in 1989. I`ve seen many amateur videos about the wall, heard a lot of stories about the wall from school teachers who went there on school trips. German history from 1870 till 1990 was one of the major subjects in History Class. It must have been a "amazing" experience. "Unfortunately", the wall fell before I had the chance to go there. There`s almost nothing left of the wall nowadays.

exruda
08-03-2006, 03:40 AM
sure if you want to be kidnapped an forced to prostitute yourself in underground brothels - go ahead and join the other thousands of women that have the honour each year! how naive. what do you know about east europe? so typical

Those forced into prostitution are women from eastern europe only... nice looking girls here, absolutely no need to kidnap tourists

Countries like Poland, Slovakia, the Czek Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia are perfectly safe for tourists!

Bulgaria, Romania, Russia and other former Soviet republics maybe a little bit less so, but people will rather tend to rob you, not kidnap.

I'm a girl and have been everywhere here, I know what I'm saying :mrgreen:

As for what to see in Europe:
Europe is so big and diversified you will not be able to se 1% of it in 3 weeks, so you just have to settle for the biggest and most intense places.

Paris is, IMO, a must. You can't say you;ve been to Europe if you haven't seen at least a couple of gothic cathedrals!

So are italian cities like Florence, Venice, Rome (will be horribly crowded in the summer, though).

For even more cultural experience, travel to Greece: Athens and little cities on the Peloponese -- and you can combine viewing ancient greek ruins with a trip to a beautiful beach and a swim in the Meditarranean. Watch out for greek railways, though -- they tend to be really untrustworthy (delays, trains cancelled etc.)

I personally love Madrid, but it's just one of a few very beautiful european cities (Lisbon, London, Amsterdam, Prague, Dubrovnik etc.) so you have to choose one or two of them; if you like museums -- then visiting Prado in Madrid is a must! My favorite gallery in the world there, beats even parisian Louvre and the Ermitage in St. Petresburg.

whealben: glad you liked Poland!!

nickybol
08-03-2006, 04:49 AM
I liked Poland. It was cheap. It was nice. The countryside is a bit poor, the cities are beautiful. I didn`t went to many cities, only to Poznan. I liked it very much. The only thing that is really horrible in all eastern European countries is the food: much food with not so much taste, just a lot of flesh. Goulash seems to be populair all over the place.

framebreaker
08-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Those forced into prostitution are women from eastern europe only... nice looking girls here, absolutely no need to kidnap tourists

Countries like Poland, Slovakia, the Czek Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia are perfectly safe for tourists!

Bulgaria, Romania, Russia and other former Soviet republics maybe a little bit less so, but people will rather tend to rob you, not kidnap.

I'm a girl and have been everywhere here, I know what I'm saying :mrgreen:

As for what to see in Europe:
Europe is so big and diversified you will not be able to se 1% of it in 3 weeks, so you just have to settle for the biggest and most intense places.

Paris is, IMO, a must. You can't say you;ve been to Europe if you haven't seen at least a couple of gothic cathedrals!

So are italian cities like Florence, Venice, Rome (will be horribly crowded in the summer, though).

For even more cultural experience, travel to Greece: Athens and little cities on the Peloponese -- and you can combine viewing ancient greek ruins with a trip to a beautiful beach and a swim in the Meditarranean. Watch out for greek railways, though -- they tend to be really untrustworthy (delays, trains cancelled etc.)

I personally love Madrid, but it's just one of a few very beautiful european cities (Lisbon, London, Amsterdam, Prague, Dubrovnik etc.) so you have to choose one or two of them; if you like museums -- then visiting Prado in Madrid is a must! My favorite gallery in the world there, beats even parisian Louvre and the Ermitage in St. Petresburg.

whealben: glad you liked Poland!!

yeah, and i bet you are the most liked hitch-hiker around