PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Swing Speed?

Gundam
07-21-2006, 08:05 AM
Who do you think has impressively fast swing speed?
I think Federer's got immense swing speed. Also, I remember Rod Laver's (I've watched his old match video) forehand was explosive. Who else? What about WTA players?

splink779
07-21-2006, 08:31 AM
It's Nadal. Then probably Federer. A lot of Spanish/South American clay courters have pretty quick swings.

weed
07-21-2006, 08:42 AM
If you look at both federer and nadals forehands, nadal's looks a bit faster if you look at the front of him because he goes from low to high more and his bright yellow strings but if you look from the side federer's looks faster because he goes through it more. On the backhand side, gaudio's swing looks pretty fast.

Andres
07-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Roddick at serve, why not?
Lots of swing speed is needed to bomb like him ;)

splink779
07-21-2006, 10:38 AM
On the backhand I think it goes to Gasquet. Agreed on Roddick's serve.

MaxT
07-21-2006, 11:07 AM
More important and more relevant is acceleration, the change of speed, rather than speed itself.

Roger has the fastest acceleration, this allows him to swing for shots when others can only block, likely his "swinging half volley." A shot he hit against Roddick in Wimbledon. McEnroe was the commentator then. His comments was like:

"Oh, no; Oh, ..., oh, no, ...., oh, no."

Never mind speed, just the change of speed. Roddick's serve is a case in point.

splink779
07-21-2006, 12:11 PM
More important and more relevant is acceleration, the change of speed, rather than speed itself.

Roger has the fastest acceleration, this allows him to swing for shots when others can only block, likely his "swinging half volley." A shot he hit against Roddick in Wimbledon. McEnroe was the commentator then. His comments was like:

I don't see much difference between acceleration and speed in regards to THIS matter. What player does not accelerate through the ball?

No Ace, No Glory
07-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone! (1st Post ever.)
I agree with pretty much everybody, though there's one guy people are missing.
Gonzalez.
Ripping a forehand with extreme speed and tremendous acceleration, surely Fernando is worth a mention here.

35ft6
07-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Nadal's forehand.

splink779
07-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Pretty much anyone with a big forehand with the exception of players like Blake or Srichaphan becaue they hit very flat. Dont forget -

Joachim Johansson
Carlos Moya

Ginepri also swings his forehand very quickly with that extreme windshield wipe. However he gets a pretty mediocre result, which is why I think his forehand is one of the most inefficient I've seen.

tennisboy87
07-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Federer and Nadal have the fastest swing speeds imo.

Gundam
07-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Gonzalez.
Ripping a forehand with extreme speed and tremendous acceleration, surely Fernando is worth a mention here.

Hey, Welcome to the board! I hope you learn a lot here! :D

zhan
07-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Federer and Nadal have the fastest swing speeds imo.
mmm... +1
:mrgreen:

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
07-22-2006, 02:24 PM

MaxT--Thanks for the trip down memory lane! The point your talking about occured in the 2003 Wimbledon semi-final. Roger had set point, and what a set point it was. Roger and Andy had maybe one of the longest rallies of the whole match with both moving each other side to side, but Andy dropped a ball just short of the service line. Roger, with his incredible vision, anticipatory skills, and footwork moved up to the short ball, took it off the bounce--with it maybe a foot off the ground--and hit a forehand. Not a classical half-volley, but a forehand. He flicked it at an incredible angle. The ball just bounced, and boom, Roger makes magic. Boom's the wrong word. It was so sublime and stealth--more like a woosh. Carillo was left saying, "Even he (Federer) had to smile at that one." Upon returning to his seat on the sideline Andy said out loud, "Too good!" And yes, McEnroe said, "Oh no, come on!" It was simply incredible.

Again, thank you for that memory, Max.

Saito
07-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Gonzalez.

Welcome to TT forums... and hell yes, Gonzo should be mentioned here. Anyone who has seen him crank that nasty forehand of his knows that the speed he generates is insane. Has to be on par with/if not better than Nadal/Federer.

baros
07-22-2006, 02:59 PM
feds no one else.
________
vapor genie vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

emcee
07-22-2006, 05:20 PM
I'd have to think it's Nadal because of all that top.