PDA

View Full Version : Will either Federer or Nadal win the U.S. Open?

Tchocky
07-21-2006, 09:30 AM
They are already accepting wagers on both Federer and Nadal. I can't see Nadal getting to the final unless he has easy draw like he did at Wimbledon.

callitout
07-21-2006, 09:35 AM
What about the way Nadal has played in the last 3 months makes you think he'll lose at USO before he plays Federer.
Is it the few mediocre matches he played on grass but still won, or do you expect an injury to sideline him? Are you predicting food poisoning for him in New York.

How can he not be the favorite just behind Federer???

Progressive10s
07-21-2006, 09:40 AM
If Nadal faces Federer in the US Open finals, I would put my money on Nadal. Nadal possesses the only kryptonite on the planet that seems to stop Roger. Whereas, somewhere a hot player like Blake in 2005, could be out there to take down Nadal before the final. Federer seems to have the answer for every player except Nadal and sometimes Nalbandian.

Moose Malloy
07-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Those odds are pretty funny. The field at +410? Sounds like wta odds from the Williams sisters era.

Tchocky
07-21-2006, 09:54 AM
What about the way Nadal has played in the last 3 months makes you think he'll lose at USO before he plays Federer.
Is it the few mediocre matches he played on grass but still won, or do you expect an injury to sideline him? Are you predicting food poisoning for him in New York.

How can he not be the favorite just behind Federer???

Chill out. The last time Nadal played on hard courts...he looked terrible. He lost to Blake in Indian Wells and Moya in Miami. Rafa isn't scheduled to play any hard court tournaments until next month. It's still uncertain whether or not he'll play in Toronto. I just don't see him getting enough matches under his belt to win 7 consecutive best of 5 sets matches in New York.

Tchocky
07-21-2006, 09:56 AM
If Nadal faces Federer in the US Open finals, I would put my money on Nadal. Nadal possesses the only kryptonite on the planet that seems to stop Roger. Whereas, somewhere a hot player like Blake in 2005, could be out there to take down Nadal before the final. Federer seems to have the answer for every player except Nadal and sometimes Nalbandian.

I totally agree. If Nadal gets to the final and plays Federer, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to put some money on Rafa. Nadal always plays his best tennis when he plays Federer.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
I think this slam is gonna be Blake's.

fastdunn
07-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Another thing is that the field does not seem to be intimidated by
Nadal as much as they do with Federer. So when they see Nadal
can do very well on non-clay surfaces, I think some of top players
would feel like they can do it too. Kind of a psychological boost.
If Federer wins, "yeah it's Federer"..
If nadal wins, "wait, if he can do it, maybe I can do it too" kindof thing...

tangerine
07-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Will either Federer or Nadal win the 2006 U.S. Open?

I hope not. It's time for somebody else to step up and have his glory day. I'm tired of the hype surrounding the Rafa-Roger "rivalry."

tennisprofl
07-21-2006, 11:33 AM
im taking federer to win it

Tchocky
07-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I think this slam is gonna be Blake's.

No way Blake has a chance. He's not a big match player. He blew a 2 sets to love lead last year to Agassi. He may get to the final if he has any easy draw but no way can he beat Federer who he's never taken a set from.

nealdave
07-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Agassi is going to win the US Open. he is determined to win..

he wants to go out on top and i think he will

GO AGASSI!!!!!

edberg505
07-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Agassi is going to win the US Open. he is determined to win..

he wants to go out on top and i think he will

GO AGASSI!!!!!

You mean the same Agassi that is 6-5 this year in 5 tournaments? I'd rather pick Safin to win than Agassi.

typingchamp
07-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Safin all the way . . . haha (sadly, it could possibly happen given his strange history).

Federer or Nadal as a bet is fairly safe.

Wouldn't it be GREAT for tennis to have these two meet at the finals of a third straight grand slam?

monologuist
07-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Chill out. The last time Nadal played on hard courts...he looked terrible. He lost to Blake in Indian Wells and Moya in Miami. Rafa isn't scheduled to play any hard court tournaments until next month. It's still uncertain whether or not he'll play in Toronto. I just don't see him getting enough matches under his belt to win 7 consecutive best of 5 sets matches in New York.

yes...but those are pretty much the only two players that I can see consistently beating Nadal...Moya b/c he knows Nadal's game inside-out and is used to playing him over the years (and has the psychological edge as his mentor), and Blake b/c he has the exact game that is kryptonite to Nadal's....Nadal's only other loss on hardcourt was more out of being rusty right after his foot injury, forget who that was. Also, Nadal has take long strides in adapting his game for fast courts over the last few months...and he will be playing with much more confidence this USO after being a finalist at Wimbly.

If he meets Blake, I think he's a goner....if he meets Moya again, I think he will wreak revenge at all costs. Nalbandian, Safin, and Berdych are the only other guys who I see potentially troubling him.

So the question really is, what are the chances Nadal will meet Blake again? If he doesn't, I think he has a great shot at getting to the finals, where I see him losing to Roger.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-21-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't care who wins, as long as it's not Federer or Nadal.
I'm tired of those two winning all the slams and tournaments they enter.

clayman2000
07-21-2006, 08:25 PM
well ...excluding the draw...i would like both fed and rafa to make the quaters easy....agassi will make the 4th round unless he plays extremely well in toronto and cinci....roddick in my mind will be very determined to win...i say he will make the 2nd week then he will only go far if his ranking is higher (do well in us open series) ...look out for novak dokovic..knowing his gs past he could make the 2nd week along with a hungry james blake who in my mind could easliy make the semis if he is not in nadal or feds quater of the draw...david nalbadian will reedeem his wimby appearance with a strong us open (quaters at least)....stepanek (now in the top ten) should make the 2nd week two..in my mind.....the semifinalists will be fed,rafa,nalbandian,and blake

Chang
07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I think there's gonna be some heavy competition. You got Fed and Nadal who both want to win and are the favourites. You've got Blake who played well on US hard courts this year. you've got Ginepri's favourite season and you got Roddick who want to redeem himself after a poor year so far. And, there's Agassi who will be playing his last tournament and is determined to win.

I think the US Open will be quite good and entertaining this year. I still reckon Federer will probably have the highest chances of winning.

BaseLineBash
07-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Neither. The Punisher all the way!;)