PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite ski areas?

07-21-2006, 10:10 AM
My Top 10, in order are:

1- Whistler/ Blackcomb, BC
2- Jackson Hole, WYO
3- Lake Louise, AB
4- Big Sky.MT
5- Snowbird. UT
6- Schweitzer, ID
7- Kicking Horse, BC
8- The Canyons, UT
9- Vail, CO
10- Sunshine Village, AB

tennis-n-sc
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
1. Alta
2. Lake Louise
3. Steamboat
4. Whistler
5. Sunshine Village
6. Big Sky
7. Brekenridge

MTChong
07-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Now, they're in no particular order

Park City in Utah
Whistler/Blackcomb
Vail in Colorado
Heavenly at Lake Tahoe (I frequent this place often; as I live somewhat near).

GRANITECHIEF
07-21-2006, 10:41 AM
1. Whistler/Blackcomb
2. Squaw Valley
3. Jackson Hole
4. Mammoth
5. Snowbird/Alta
6. Taos
7. Telluride
8. Mt Bachelor

There are so many world class resorts that i haven't been to, YET!!! Not to mention Heli trips. Good reason to continue working.

scez
07-21-2006, 11:01 AM
I am a skiier, so my I hate the powder. My feet and legs killed a couple years ago skiing in whistler because of all the powder and my used hacked up granny boots. I love lake louis, when it is groomed it is so much fun to just bomb the mens downhill going straight down. The most beautiful place I have skiied in was Gstaad in Switzerland. To bad the lines were huge and people just push through the lines. I also was on a long *** T-bar that stopped when we were on the steepest part.

EDIT: And gotta love the $500 dollar bottles of balsamic vinagar in the grocery stores.

DRtenniS1112
07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Anyone ski east coast? I'm from Maine so this is where I ski most but i make trips out west cuz my cousin works EMT for heavenly and we ski there a ton.

rasajadad
07-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I live at the base of Statton Mountain in Vermont. They do a great job of grooming, if you like that. I buy an unlimited midweek pass that lets me ski Okemo and Stratton (And Lake Sunapee in NH). I'm late to skiing. So I only do it to pass time with friends and my kids all winter.

MTChong
07-21-2006, 11:30 AM
1. Whistler/Blackcomb
2. Squaw Valley
3. Jackson Hole
4. Mammoth
5. Snowbird/Alta
6. Taos
7. Telluride
8. Mt Bachelor

There are so many world class resorts that i haven't been to, YET!!! Not to mention Heli trips. Good reason to continue working.

Ah, I forgot to mention Squaw Valley - another good place, but I've not been in such a long time. Well, actually, I'm not even that good at skiing - unfortunate, but I'll probably keep doing it. I also got rather decent at snowboarding with two days of practice, but it killed my knees when you have to walk with the board with one foot off - my knees aren't in tip-top shape.

Anyone ski east coast? I'm from Maine so this is where I ski most but i make trips out west cuz my cousin works EMT for heavenly and we ski there a ton.

Wow, that's definitely awesome! Heavenly is such a nice place - especially when not crowded!

GRANITECHIEF
07-21-2006, 11:47 AM
The key to not having to push with one foot in/out is to know where you need to keep enough speed to get where you want to go. Although after only 2 days of boarding, i guess its tough to be able to do a 60-mph full tuck.

LuckyR
07-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Vail as the favorite resort in Colorado!?! Must be from out of state...

MegacedU
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
WEAK lists. Ski East is the way to go. Sugarbush, Jay, Tuckerman's @ Mt. Washington, how about Tremblant in Canada?

Mr.Federer
07-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Mont.Tremblant is so sweet...

GRANITECHIEF
07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
I am a skiier, so my I hate the powder.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

GRANITECHIEF
07-21-2006, 02:20 PM
WEAK lists. Ski East is the way to go. Sugarbush, Jay, Tuckerman's @ Mt. Washington, how about Tremblant in Canada?
You are probably right, i'll never ski west again.

This west skiing is terrible:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/HW4.jpg

And i hate powder. Much prefer eastern ice:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/HW2.jpg

I sure Tuckerman's has a lift like KT-22 that access 2000 vert feet of ungroomed advanced terrain, with a short 6 minute ride:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/2-27-04SV2.jpg

and has a view like this from the top:

http://www.cems.uvm.edu/~dinitz/images/ski_trip_04/View%20from%20Top%20of%20KT.JPG

Max G.
07-21-2006, 02:50 PM
My favorite place ever - Solitude! None of those others around there can hold a candle to it.

Love the powder! ;)

nickybol
07-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Ski-amade - Austria

GRANITECHIEF
07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
If any of the other places held a candle to it, the snow would melt and put out the candle.

No, seriously, some of the best powder i've ever gotten has been at Solitude, backside off the top.

North
07-21-2006, 03:45 PM
If any of the other places held a candle to it, the snow would melt and put out the candle.

No, seriously, some of the best powder i've ever gotten has been at Solitude, backside off the top.

Solitude is absolutely the best. Followed closely by Alta. Great powder, lots of it, and great ambience at both places. The two best places I've been. Best place on the east coast - Jay Peak. Someone mentioned Tuckerman's here in the east. Tucks is obviously a totally different kind of place (I have skied it on downhills and teles) and gives a very old-school backcountry experience, even besides the hike up to earn your turns.

MTChong
07-21-2006, 07:15 PM
The key to not having to push with one foot in/out is to know where you need to keep enough speed to get where you want to go. Although after only 2 days of boarding, i guess its tough to be able to do a 60-mph full tuck.

Haha, yeah; I only had carving down and that was on a blue at best - I'd still fall maybe two to four times during a given run; but I was definitely getting the hang of it. I can't wait to go back up with some friends - I'm already near their level, I think.

Roffey
07-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Loon
Mad River Glen
Attitash/Bear Peak
Wildcat

Either MRG or Wildcat is my all time favorite.

Eastern skiing all the way.

07-25-2006, 04:55 AM
Since I started this thread I'll chime in with my 10 fave Eastern Ski Areas too:
1- Sugarbush
2- Le Massif
3- Sugarloaf
4- Whiteface
5- Stowe
6- Cannon
7- Wildcat
8- Mt.Ste.Anne
9- Jay Peak
10- Stratton

Buuurnz
07-30-2006, 09:47 AM