PDA

View Full Version : Jim Courier's forehand

Golden Retriever
07-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Was his forehand the best of the fab 4? His forehand was kind of unique, wasn't it? Where can I see a footage of what his forehand looks like?

drakulie
07-21-2006, 02:37 PM
His forehand was awesome! He is one of the first to use the inside-out forehand as a big weapon. And it was huge! I would definitely say his forehand was the best of the "fab-four".

Buy some old matches. You could always get them on the famous auction site. If you do, try to buy the 1995 australian open quarter final match against sampras. One of the best matches I have ever seen. This is the famous match where Pete begins to cry becuase his coach had fallen ill with cancer.

omniexist
07-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, Courier had a great inside-out forehand. But I'd take Pete's over his anyday.

chiru
07-21-2006, 05:04 PM
id take pete or andre's over courier's. when it was on it was a beast, with his crazy unorthodox groundies. he was fun to watch.

mctennis
07-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Once they figured out his game they picked him apart. I liked Jim and he is a nice guy but his forehand was great when they didn't know what to do with it.

stormholloway
07-22-2006, 06:31 AM
I'll take Courier's over Pete's. I tend to think Pete's was overrated.

helloworld
07-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Pete's forehand is way overated. If you take away his serve, he would probably become nothing but a local club pro.

Rabbit
07-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Pete's forehand is way overated. If you take away his serve, he would probably become nothing but a local club pro.

There is nothing I could have said any better that would have pointed up your total lack of knowledge concerning the sport. There is no reply I could offer which could further prove your total lack of perspective on the greatest players to play the game. Sampras a local club pro? OK....

Every great pro has a weapon. Sampras had his serve, Agassi has his groundstrokes, Becker had his awesome power, Edberg had catlike reflexes and quickness at net, McEnroe had his net S/V and nasty, unbelievable angles, Nadal has his defenseive game, Roddick has his serve, Blake has his forehand and quickness, the beat goes on. Take away the primary weapon of any champion and he's just another world class pro, one of the best 1000 - 2000 players on the planet. Please.

Jim Courier's forehand was awesome. It was the first groundstroke that I remember being clocked with a radar gun, at the French Open the year before he won it for the first time. I remember the commentators, I believe Courier was on court 16, just awed at how hard he was hitting his forehand. It was even harder and more agressive than Agassi's. I also agree that his game was found out by the rest of the tour which probably shortened his career substantially.

looseswing
07-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Here is a video of him: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7705106707222047028&q=jim+courier

drakulie
07-22-2006, 08:55 AM
I'll take Courier's over Pete's. I tend to think Pete's was overrated.

I agree. Pete's forehand was a tremendous weapon-especially his running forehand. But, Pete's forehand was not remotely as consitent as Courier's. Pete tended to make lots of errors with his forehand.

Courier's forehand was a monster, and consistent. That forehand won him 4 slams on the 2 slowest surfaces.

helloworld
07-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Here is a video of him: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7705106707222047028&q=jim+courier
looks like he's losing miserably in the video...

Max G.
07-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Whoa!

I just saw his backhand there, and that TOTALLY looks like the way Nadal hits his backhand!

Or am I just seeing things?

MordredSJT
07-22-2006, 09:33 AM

Give Pete an average serve and he is a faster, more athletic version of Tim Henman with bigger groundstrokes. That's far from a club pro. I am a club pro...and I'm pretty sure Pete could serve underhand and still kick my *** without breaking a sweat.