http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYtfExEsIs&mode=related&search=marcelo%20rios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LwpPnxraKA&mode=related&search=marcelo%20rios

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7705106707222047028&q=marcelo+rios

subtleskeptics
07-21-2006, 06:03 PM
why do they call Rios the chino?

andres epson
07-21-2006, 06:34 PM
because of his eyes. He looks like a chinese guy.

35ft6
07-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Man, I'm so glad I got to see Rios play on TV. I would hate to be a relative tennis newbie and have to hear about how amazing he was all the time.

35ft6
07-21-2006, 06:35 PM
because of his eyes. He looks like a chinese guy. Yeah, he had light grey eyes like most chinese guys do.

He did look vaguely Asian.

chiru
07-21-2006, 07:01 PM
i never really liked rios, he was good, but in the age of sampras and agassi, it would take nothing short of jesus himself to impress me.

andres epson
07-21-2006, 07:02 PM
not because of the color. It was for the shape of his eyes.

oscar_2424
07-21-2006, 07:40 PM
It's always nice to see el chino's videos

soundofatrain
07-21-2006, 08:11 PM
what a talent, i love watching him play.

mctennis
07-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Good player at times but a headcase all the time.

lacoster
07-21-2006, 10:00 PM
He looks like a lazy man's Nadal. His footwork seems so casual in those points against Agassi. Great player to watch; definitely my vote for greatest player never to win a Grand Slam.
________
CORPORATE ARTIST AFFAIRS (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Corporate_Artist_Affairs)

TENNIS_IS_FUN
07-21-2006, 10:15 PM
post deleted

yoga
07-21-2006, 10:55 PM
strange, 1st memory brought back of him was his crying over his girl friend stuff in front of cameras, kinda sweet i think

i actually like players such as rios, korda, philippoussis, they r the defiant ones, true to themselves, not showmanlike mr. good guys

Fischer76
07-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Very moody player.. Practically all his match results reflects the state of mind he was in. Still, one of the most talented player to play in the ATP. One of my favorites.

galain
07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
I loved watching this guy play. best match I ever saw was him vs Arazi (at the French I think?). The most unbelievable shotmaking ever. Even Federer looks like he's trying compared to this guy.

35ft6
07-22-2006, 12:19 AM
^ Federer said that Rios was one of the players he loved to watch back in the day. A match between them to when they're both "on" would be about the sickest sh%t ever.

whistleway
07-22-2006, 01:10 AM
^ Federer said that Rios was one of the players he loved to watch back in the day. A match between them to when they're both "on" would be about the sickest sh%t ever.

If my memory is right, Lungren used to coach Rios too. I

MHO, lundgren coached three of the most talented freakish players (rios, fed, safin).

BaseLineBash
07-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Special player. When it comes to pure talent realized or unrealized, you can't beat Federer, Agassi, Safin and of course Marcelo Rios.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
07-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I would take Agassi off of your list and add in McEnroe and Nastase.

BaseLineBash
07-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Are you insane??? I know you've seen Andre strike a tennis ball...but have you really seen Andre Strike a tennis ball?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????? Perfection!

peluzon
10-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi im new here ,,, i create all the marcelo Rios Videos

see my blog

http://chino.blog.terra.cl

Regards

enjoy it

tennisfreak
10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Are you insane??? I know you've seen Andre strike a tennis ball...but have you really seen Andre Strike a tennis ball?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????? Perfection!

I have to agree. Agassi was a special talent. He didn't have the touch of a Rios, but his ball striking and reflexes were off the charts.

tennisfreak
10-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Damn Rios made the game look so easy. *******.

tennisboy87
10-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the videos.

Pistol_Pete
10-10-2006, 07:41 PM
In January 1998, Ríos reached his first (and only) Grand Slam final at the Australian Open. Having been in strong form leading up to the final, he entered as a slight favourite against Petr Korda of the Czech Republic. But Korda was in inspired form and brushed a nervous Ríos aside in straight sets 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. Later, a doping test confirm that Korda was doped for that match.

Musashi
10-10-2006, 07:49 PM
In January 1998, Ríos reached his first (and only) Grand Slam final at the Australian Open. Having been in strong form leading up to the final, he entered as a slight favourite against Petr Korda of the Czech Republic. But Korda was in inspired form and brushed a nervous Ríos aside in straight sets 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. Later, a doping test confirm that Korda was doped for that match.

Really? And, they didn't do anything about it?

ShooterMcMarco
10-10-2006, 10:08 PM

yeah, i think everyone here would pay to watch that match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr5IW9Xu0X0

Moose Malloy
10-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Really? And, they didn't do anything about it?

He tested positive at '98 Wimbledon, not '98 Australia.

Eviscerator
10-11-2006, 12:00 PM

I would leave Agassi on and add both McEnroe / Nastase.

Actually Agassi could have been another Rios as he was underachieving during his "image is everything" years. Fortunately he dedicated himself to the game and went on to become one of the greats.

If only Rios had some heart combined with his great talent he also could have been one of the greats.

f1 tech
10-11-2006, 06:44 PM
There were a lot of Chinese that sailed to Peru during the Gold Rush. Many Chinese were fooled and were sent to Peru as slaves. That's probably why there are a lot of Asians in Peru and why some Peruian looks Asian.

drakulie
10-11-2006, 08:14 PM
There were a lot of Chinese that sailed to Peru during the Gold Rush. Many Chinese were fooled and were sent to Peru as slaves. That's probably why there are a lot of Asians in Peru and why some Peruian looks Asian.

That explains why Rios never won a Major. No asian has ever won a Slam.

Ripper
10-12-2006, 08:00 AM
He did look vaguely Asian.

Native Americans (I'm talking about America, the Continent, not just the US) look kind of Asian, some more than others. That's one of the reasons scientists came up with the theory that the 1st settlers were Asians. Obviously, Rios, like many Latin Americans, has Native American genes in his mix.

Edit: I hope nobody gives me any racist crap, since I'm not making this up.

Pistol_Pete
10-12-2006, 08:20 AM
That explains why Rios never won a Major. No asian has ever won a Slam.

He was the youngest to do so.

drakulie
10-12-2006, 08:26 AM
He was the youngest to do so.

Chang was/is American.

Ripper
10-12-2006, 08:53 AM
In a couple of thousand of years, from all the inter-ratial mixes, there will be just one race, the "Human Race". And one huge country; "Earth" (if we still have one). Then, this silly subject of who's what and who's from where, shall have ended. I have spoken.

drakulie
10-12-2006, 10:01 AM
In a couple of thousand of years, from all the inter-ratial mixes, there will be just one race, the "Human Race". And one huge country; "Earth" (if we still have one). Then, this silly subject of who's what and who's from where, shall have ended. I have spoken.

God Bless, and praise the Lord!

Eviscerator
10-12-2006, 07:00 PM

I believe you are mistaken. Humans have been around for much longer that a couple thousand years and we still have very distinct races. While countries like America that have a huge influx of immigrants will be more mixed than say China, you will still have different and distinct races thousands of years from now. The goal is not to become one mixed race, but rather to learn how to respect and embrace our differences.

onkystomper
10-13-2006, 03:23 AM
I believe you are mistaken. Humans have been around for much longer that a couple thousand years and we still have very distinct races. While countries like America that have a huge influx of immigrants will be more mixed than say China, you will still have different and distinct races thousands of years from now. The goal is not to become one mixed race, but rather to learn how to respect and embrace our differences.

Agree with the last sentance. however i think that mixing races will only become more prevailant as the ease and cheapness of transportation around the world continues. My Girlfriend is Japanese and if it took 8 months to get to Japan like it used too rather than 12 hours (i am in UK) i seriously doubt i would have met her :)

So lets just say you are both right !!

Duzza
10-13-2006, 03:49 AM
why do they call Rios the chino?
I believe it is because he was arrested and his family didn't support him at home, so he moved away to a rich Orange County community and the kids gave him that name.

Ripper
10-13-2006, 09:51 AM

Agree with the last sentance. however i think that mixing races will only become more prevailant as the ease and cheapness of transportation around the world continues. My Girlfriend is Japanese and if it took 8 months to get to Japan like it used too rather than 12 hours (i am in UK) i seriously doubt i would have met her :)

So lets just say you are both right !!

I'm not mistaken and I'm the only one who's right here. I'm not going to explain why, because I don't feel like writing too much. Plus, why would I want to do that?