PDA

View Full Version : Mac or PC?

Mr. Blond
07-21-2006, 07:06 PM
not intended to be a flame ware, I am just curious. It seems that in the media, Mac seems to be the darling, but pc still rules buisness. I personally use a pc and have been in many a battle about how mac will rule the world again, but as of now, PC is top dog.

35ft6
07-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I work with both and I much prefer Apples and Mac OS. Mac's are simpler, more reliable, the interface is more logical, tactile, and pleasing to the eye, and the computers themselves are nicer looking. Less viruses, it's a hassle free computer.

If you just want a cheaper computer for emails and word processing I guess it can be argued that an inexpensive PC is a better choice. But watch out for viruses and spyware.

Mr. Blond
07-21-2006, 07:14 PM
I work with both and I much prefer Apples and Mac OS. Mac's are simpler, more reliable, the interface is more logical, tactile, and pleasing to the eye, and the computers themselves are nicer looking. Less viruses, it's a hassle free computer.

If you just want a cheaper computer for emails and word processing I guess it can be argued that an inexpensive PC is a better choice. But watch out for viruses and spyware.

which did you learn on, Mac or Pc? the reason I ask is because I learned Pc first, and to me, the Mac is not very intuitve.

dewey2110
07-21-2006, 10:19 PM
I dont see anything great about Mac...Pc is way more convenient. the only reason why Mac exists is so that Microsoft wont be a monopoly. Microsoft actually own Mac. Mac is all about the look, fashion, just like the Ipod, useless...

Freedom
07-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey now, I adore my iPod. I thought they were garbage at first, but I've had generic mp3 players, and an iPod blows them out of the water.

That being said, I have a Dell.

Rincon
07-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Linux all the way! but I have a PC as well but I'm not voting for a Mac or PC.

OrangeOne
07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Oh god - bringing up mac vs. PC on a forum ;). Then again - possibly better than another You know who vs. You know who else thread!

(And I'm with 'Freedom' above, I'm apple for the music, PC for the rest :).

zhan
07-22-2006, 05:42 AM
PEE SEE!!
Macs are for people who dont care...
PC u can customize to the extend that it can look like a neuclear sub and still function ;)

Mr. Blond
07-22-2006, 05:44 AM
you have to admit that the macs look cool as hell out of the box though. All of the software I own is Pc, so that is another big thing for me.

zhan
07-22-2006, 05:46 AM
you have to admit that the macs look cool as hell out of the box though. All of the software I own is Pc, so that is another big thing for me.
should see my station then lol..
i built it as a senior project thing... for high school
its got lights and fans and all kings of cool stuff :D
macs cant do that unless u go on serious modifications and customizations like with custom dremmeling and making ur own mounts...
for PC u can make something unique so much easier...

Duzza
07-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Mac's are too hard to use and configure.

equinox
07-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Mac OSX is easier to use than windows. You don't need to configure a mac..it does it automatically by its self..

zhan
07-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Mac OSX is easier to use than windows. You don't need to configure a mac..it does it automatically by its self..
is that absurdly lazy...
where is the customizations?
and i never like the one button mouse lol
it feels good when ur first grade in 1992...
but after u grow up and learn a bit more...
pc is much better

equinox
07-22-2006, 07:49 AM
PC's were previously better for games, but now that MACs use intel cpu's and system chipsets that's no longer completely true when using bootcamp. Though i'm not too fond of there choice of onboard intel gfx. Which is still ok for basic gfx gaming needs of mum and pop's grand kids.
Anyways consoles are a better choice for gaming.

Macs haven't needed a one button mice, you can even use 5 button mice! wow!

Apple IIe had many great games, bards tale, treasure island, Where's in the world is carmen sandiago, karataka? Very educational ;D

1992? 1st grade? You must be a junior kiddo.

Modern MAC's virtually are PC's except they use Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) which replaces the aging bios and Trusted Platform Modules (TPM DRM) to stop OSX from running on non apple approved hardware.

I'm not here to defend apple, infact i don't even own a mac and am currently using self build pcs of 3-4 years age, with minor upgrades of ti4200 ->gfx 6600gt , additional RAM 30gb -> 200GB, new mobo, case, cpu hsf.

Running on ubuntu 5.10 Breezy linux + mandrake 10.

equinox
07-22-2006, 07:53 AM
If you wanted to have a shot at apple...attack there hardware fault record.
It's appalling 1st, 2nd gen hardware has high failure rates, which apple will deny forever (even shuting down forum boards, sending C+D scary letters) until the shouting and lawsuits get too loud to ignore.
They use the lowest bidder on hardware assembly..

theace21
07-22-2006, 09:21 AM
We are all PC - I do want to give Linux a try. I have read so much about it...

Mr. Blond
07-22-2006, 09:29 AM
to run linux, do you need to format your hard drive?

Ky0shiro
07-22-2006, 10:32 AM
PEE SEE!!
Macs are for people who dont care...
PC u can customize to the extend that it can look like a neuclear sub and still function ;)

Your first statement is false :D. Just because someone who buys a Mac doesn't mean they don't care, most macs are pretty damn expensive and it would probably be cheaper to buy a low end pc if they really didn't care.

Max G.
07-22-2006, 10:41 AM
to run linux, do you need to format your hard drive?

Well, the short answer is "not necessarily".

You do need to have a partition available for Linux to install on, but there are tools out there that let you resize existing partitions and make new ones. I've heard of PartitionMagic, I think there are others as well.

that said, I myself did format my hard drive when going to Linux, so I don't know about the reliabiility, efficiency, or ease of use of any of the tools.

You should probably ask on some forums other than just a tennis forum. Try searching ubuntuforums.org , I would guess that that question has been answered somewhere there.

tennisprofl
07-22-2006, 10:58 AM
i like how macs "supposedly" get no virus'

zhan
07-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Your first statement is false. Just because someone who buys a Mac doesn't mean they don't care, most macs are pretty damn expensive and it would probably be cheaper to buy a low end pc if they really didn't care.

O really?

Apple introduces its new computer called "Mac Mini". The unit is smaller than a toaster and has the equivalent computing power. The big news appears to center around the $499.00 price of the Mac Mini.

The price doesn't include a monitor, keyboard or mouse, and barely includes a hard drive, the hard drive is a low speed 40 gig drive. Apple expects its core users won't notice the lack of "accessories", memory, or power needed for actual computer operation since... well... they never have in the past.

Asked why anyone would pay three times the price of a comparably equiped Windows machine, and have no upgradeability, Steve Jobs said "It's not how it works, it's how it looks sitting on your desk that's important to our customer base, besides by the time you factor in the cost of the keyboard and mouse the price of the new Mini Mac is closer to that of a high-end Windows machine anyway".

http://www.rant.com/a/mac_mini2.jpg

Max G.
07-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Okay, I checked up on ubuntuforums.org myself - they don't really say much besides saying that the ubuntu installer can resize NTFS partitions automatically. (Instructions here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/forum/installation/Partitioning ) Which doesn't help much if you're going for some other linux distro, though I would guess that they can also do that stuff automatically.

I'd still recommend backing the data up somewhere - I don't trust partition programs, if something goes wrong the data can be lost.

This was in response to blabit's post from a while back

35ft6
07-22-2006, 12:47 PM
O really?

Apple introduces its new computer called "Mac Mini". The unit is smaller than a toaster and has the equivalent computing power. I don't see how the small size is a negative. And its computing power is great for the type of people this product is aimed at.The price doesn't include a monitor, keyboard or mouse, and barely includes a hard drive, the hard drive is a low speed 40 gig drive. Apple expects its core users won't notice the lack of "accessories", memory, or power needed for actual computer operation since... well... they never have in the past. You seem to be missing the point -- if a person wants more power, they'll buy a different computer. It's like criticizing a company for selling mopeds because the moped can't compare to a $20,000 crotch rocket. Computers come in different "speeds" and sizes, the buyer will base his computer purchase on what he needs.

35ft6
07-22-2006, 12:48 PM
which did you learn on, Mac or Pc? the reason I ask is because I learned Pc first, and to me, the Mac is not very intuitve. I learned on a PC. In my experience, I barely have to open up the manual for Apple software. Yeah, I guess intuition can depend on what you're accustomed to, but I'd be willing to bet that if you introduced somebody with no previous computer experience to a Mac and PC, they would have a much easier time with the Mac.I dont see anything great about Mac...Pc is way more convenient. What do you mean by convenient?the only reason why Mac exists is so that Microsoft wont be a monopoly. Microsoft actually own Mac. What are you talking about? Microsoft doesn't own Mac unless you mean "pwn" or some shiznick.Mac is all about the look, fashion, just like the Ipod, useless... Well, that's the great thing about Apple products is that they're about form AND function. Maybe that's why artists are so drawn to them. I actually think their aesthetic appeal actually scares away potential customers who are afraid of anything that might call their manhood into question. Then again, the Powermac's and Powerbook lines are some of the toughest looking things out there.is that absurdly lazy...
where is the customizations? I've heard this argument before. First off, is this actually true? Second, most people don't really want to tweak their computers, they simply want it to work. Just like my car, I know there are people out there who love to customize their cars -- the engine, ground effects, spoilers, interior, sound system, and what not -- but I just want my car to start when I turn the ignition.

zhan
07-22-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't see how the small size is a negative. And its computing power is great for the type of people this product is aimed at. You seem to be missing the point -- if a person wants more power, they'll buy a different computer. It's like criticizing a company for selling mopeds because the moped can't compare to a $20,000 crotch rocket. Computers come in different "speeds" and sizes, the buyer will base his computer purchase on what he needs.

Noooo........
whats the point of buying a computer that has inferior performance, no-upgradability and cost the same as one with significantly more performance and can be upgraded if u find it lacking...

thats like saying "Okay... we will sell Hyundai Accents at $200,000, or the same price as a Ferrari F430. and people will still buy it..."

35ft6
07-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Noooo........
whats the point of buying a computer that has inferior performance, no-upgradability and cost the same as one with significantly more performance and can be upgraded if u find it lacking...

thats like saying "Okay... we will sell Hyundai Accents at $200,000, or the same price as a Ferrari F430. and people will still buy it..." Or another way to look at it is buy a $15,000 Ford or a $18,000 BMW. Your point has merit, I guess it comes down to if you believe that Mac's and PC's are essentially the same, so the tie breaker should be price and performance. To me, working on a Mac and a PC is radically different in terms of user experience. And, again, the people who are buying entry level PC's and the Mac Mini are people who are looking for something to do some word processing, emailing, music listening, and internet browsing with. For these people, a Mac Mini is enough. These people are not the types who are going to perform hardware upgrades themselves.

max
07-22-2006, 02:12 PM
If you're a hardcore PC enthusiast (zealot?), then go read the issue of BusinessWeek a couple of weeks ago about advertising spyware. It's a nice in-depth piece. Good luck fighting off that stuff now, and in the future!

zhan
07-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Or another way to look at it is buy a $15,000 Ford or a $18,000 BMW. Your point has merit, I guess it comes down to if you believe that Mac's and PC's are essentially the same, so the tie breaker should be price and performance. To me, working on a Mac and a PC is radically different in terms of user experience. And, again, the people who are buying entry level PC's and the Mac Mini are people who are looking for something to do some word processing, emailing, music listening, and internet browsing with. For these people, a Mac Mini is enough. These people are not the types who are going to perform hardware upgrades themselves.

yeah... maybe...
i dont really think about stuff like that...
i only look forward and look up lol...
even thought im quite a philosopher...

Ky0shiro
07-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Zhan, I know a handful of people who have boughten Macs because it suits their purposes more as in video editing and what not, they couldn't find pcs suitable for their editing programs.

It's all personal preference, you can't just say someone who buys one thing is lazy/doesn't care.

But 35ft6 basically said everything else I wanted to..damn you 35ft6 :P.

tonysk83
07-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I have owned PC's my entire life, but I plan on buying a new laptop in the next 6-8 months I am almost certain it will be a mac.

With the intel chips mac laptops are fast and easy to use. I will use my laptop for all the basics which apple is great with. Simple to use, reliable, and don't go obselete as fast as PC laptops. Now with bootcamp just another reason to go mac. Once they figure out the bugs in the macbook, I am almost sure that is what I'll buy.

For my desktop, I will use PC's for a long time, unless apple does something huge. Nothing in their desktop lineup appeals to me, just because I love building computers and the great prices you can build computers for. Never will you find a mac that can match the performence of my current desktop for the price I built it at.

Macs for laptops, PC's for desktops is my answer.

ShooterMcMarco
07-22-2006, 11:52 PM
All of these operating systems will look more and more alike as time goes on, interface wise. I'm not sure how many of you got to play with the beta version of Vista, but you'll see that the interface is resembling Mac. Even unix environments are becoming more windows/mac like with the intuitive interfaces. I'm still waiting for an interface that breaks the mold.