PDA

View Full Version : Roddick and Reynolds in the Dubs final at RCA!

KBalla08
07-21-2006, 08:44 PM
wow they beat Hanley and Ullyett, im amazed.

Viper
07-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Wow, I never really imagined Roddick as a doubles player, I hope he and Reynolds win the tourny.

Ronnie7
07-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Me too man, jeez. I want to see Roddick come back badly, but doubles? eww.

Jonny S&V
07-21-2006, 09:39 PM
How dare you dis doubles?!?!?!?!?! I may really, really suck at doubles, but it is still the best TV tennis to watch. Although I must admit, Andy better not be serving and staying back with that monster kick in the AD court. If Bobby is the one keeping the team together, then yes, Andy + Doubles = eww.

Matthew
07-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Well... the serve is more important in doubles than singles, so I could see why that would give them an edge, but I don't see how Roddick's net game can be winning them too many matches :p

KBalla08
07-21-2006, 11:35 PM
well hes in the semis of singles too, hes playing defending champ ginepri...lets see if he can beat him

Nakedboy87
07-22-2006, 01:44 AM
he looks ok at doubles in this clip

http://www.rcatennis.com/IUPUIVideo/1-4-400k.html

tarheels2323
07-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Not bad; that clip made his volleys look comparable to other top pro's. Then again, the idea of him playing dubs in the first place was probably to help his net play.

brucie
07-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Roddicks not a bad volleyer in theory his game is suited to doubles good serve and forehand, etc.

tennis-skater
07-22-2006, 06:19 AM
his volleys were pretty good. did you guys see when he hit that overhead the other people went running out of its way

dmastous
07-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Roddicks not a bad volleyer in theory his game is suited to doubles good serve and forehand, etc.

?????????
He hit a couple decent volleys in the video, but Reynolds was more impressive at the net. It's looking better. I didn't see any forehand volleys which, to me, is his worse side. Overheads, serve always powerful and impressive.
Still his getting into the final is a good result and may mean he's cut down on his volley stroke and improved. He would have to, he would survive doubles without that kind of adjustment.

stormholloway
07-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Roddick's not a bad volleyer? Yes he is. He's downright terrible. If you can serve 150 and can't get to the quarters of wimbledon then you aren't a good volleyer.

dmastous
07-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Roddick's not a bad volleyer? Yes he is. He's downright terrible. If you can serve 150 and can't get to the quarters of wimbledon then you aren't a good volleyer.
To be fair, Wimbledon was playing more like the French this year than ever. Roddick has always gotten by by blasting serves and forehands and getting weak returns to put away, until he ran up against Federer who could hit effective shots from anywhere, off any amount of power, and keep them low.
The rest of the field is starting to catch on to what Federer does and is getting better at it, and Roddick hasn't gotten better. So he was a lock (to me) to loose early this year.

J-man
07-22-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm very surprised that they made it to the finals and were able to beat Hanley's team.

HyperHorse
07-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Looks like that time with Connors really helped...
Damn his serve is scorching again...
Looks like he's hungry & ticked off after Wimbledon...

Rabbit
07-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Roddick's foray into doubles may be because of any combination of factors:

Roddick's down right now and trying to gain confidence
Roddick's trying to improve his transition game, and his net game. Connors may be taking a page out of McEnroe's book by suggesting his "practice" time be the doubles court.
Roddick may be trying to do the right thing by tennis. The wholesale changes made to doubles were done, according to the ATP, in an effort to get the top singles guys to play. Roddick may be trying to get the other guys into doubles.
Roddick may be copying a little of James Blake's strategy. Blake plays doubles, mostly with Mardy Fish. Roddick may be testing the water to see if this helps his game like it's helped Blake's.
Roddick may just want more court time in preparation for the Open.
Roddick may have given up on his singles career and is looking to break into doubles
Roddick needs some pocket money.

KBalla08
07-22-2006, 02:55 PM
well hes in the final of both this weekend, hoping he wins at least singles so he can jump back into the top 10
well hes playin blake, James Blake def. Xavier Malisse 6-3, 2-6, 6-1, 3 setter with the X-Man...
and doubles final they are playing Paul Goldstein & Jim Thomas.

ShimSham
07-22-2006, 03:14 PM

Roddick's trying to improve his transition game, and his net game. Connors may be taking a page out of McEnroe's book by suggesting his "practice" time be the doubles court.
Roddick may be trying to do the right thing by tennis. The wholesale changes made to doubles were done, according to the ATP, in an effort to get the top singles guys to play. Roddick may be trying to get the other guys into doubles.
Roddick may be copying a little of James Blake's strategy. Blake plays doubles, mostly with Mardy Fish. Roddick may be testing the water to see if this helps his game like it's helped Blake's.
Roddick may have given up on his singles career and is looking to break into doubles

LOL! I love this post, the last two points made me crack up with laughter. There is probably a lot of truth in the factors you suggested Rabbit! :mrgreen:

Saito
07-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Me too man, jeez. I want to see Roddick come back badly, but doubles? eww.

Why not want him to win both singles and doubles at RCA. That would do wonders for a comeback. :)

J-man
07-22-2006, 08:05 PM

Way less TV time for him:)