PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it... When returning serve...

Bottle Rocket
07-22-2006, 10:07 AM
When your playing against someone like Roddick that wins his serve almost all the time, I don't understand why the players returning his serve don't go for more? Why not try and smash winners from bad positions or off his second serves? Why be so passive and let the inevitable happen?

Chances are you're going to loose the game anyway, so why not go for it?

Is Blake the only one that see's the great possibility of jumping on a second serve and going for it on the other guys serve? Is that why he beat Roddick?

looseswing
07-22-2006, 10:25 AM
A lot of people are beating Roddick now and his serve is not saving him, nor is the "inevitable" is happening anymore.

Max G.
07-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Because if you go for winners off second serve, you're playing right into Roddick's strength - and you take away your opportunity to go after his weakness.

His weakness is once he gets into the baseline rallies. If you go for giant returns, you're letting the point be decided by how good Roddick's serve is versus how good your return is. And Roddick will take that matchup anyday. For every great return you hit off that, Roddick will get extra one or two missed returns.

What seems like better strategy to me would be to try to get as many balls back in play as possible - make Roddick win the point by using something other than his best shot.

But hey, I'm not the one playin out there. Really, it depends a lot on what players are comfortable doing - there are some players that could step in a bit more without really causing themselves to miss any more, but there are probably others that can't.

Bottle Rocket
07-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I did not ask this about playing Roddick specifically, just as an example. As a whole I am curious why players don't go for more on their return games. It seems Blake is one of the few who does, as an example.

As far as what you said about Roddick, I think you're spot on.

ACE of Hearts
07-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I expect Blake to beat Roddick on a consistent basis now.

tangerine
07-22-2006, 12:59 PM
When your playing against someone like Roddick that wins his serve almost all the time, I don't understand why the players returning his serve don't go for more? Why not try and smash winners from bad positions or off his second serves? Why be so passive and let the inevitable happen?
Because it's more beneficial to the receiver to just get the ball back into play instead of going for the outright winner and losing the point (which is most likely to happen if he tries to smash a winner).

Chances are you're going to loose the game anyway, so why not go for it?
No. The opponent has a better chance of winning the point if he blocks the serve back in and keeps the ball in play.

Is Blake the only one that see's the great possibility of jumping on a second serve and going for it on the other guys serve? Is that why he beat Roddick?
What's impressive about Blake is that he's the only one I've seen who can actually hit a winner off of Andy's first serve like he did at Queen's. That was just...whoa. :o

-----------
http://roddickwatch.blogspot.com

alienhamster
07-22-2006, 01:49 PM
I expect Blake to beat Roddick on a consistent basis now. I don't. Blake was in a groove when returning Roddick's serve at Queen's. If he's in that groove again, he will likely win. If he's not, he's gonna lose in straight sets, like he did 8 or so times before he beat Roddick this time.

Blake's strategy is *really* risky against Roddick, for the reasons outlined by Max and tangerine. But it's spot on against someone like Nadal, where you're suddenly at a much bigger disadvantage (compared to his serve and return of serve shots) once the rally has begun.

Tennis_Monk
07-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Roddick has rediscovered his game. Blake is playing well.
Tommorow final ...Key is Roddick's serve. If he serves like he did today....Blake cant stop him.

Volly master
07-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Tommorow final ...Key is Roddick's serve. If he serves like he did today....Blake cant stop him.

ditto

as much as i like james, being a CT native like me, but Roddick is just too powerful at full strength, even though this isnt him at 100% power, i think that 04 wimbly final was him at 100% :p

wonders if we will see that mode again ;)

David L
07-22-2006, 07:22 PM
As a whole I am curious why players don't go for more on their return games.

Easier said than done without making errors.

David L
07-22-2006, 07:31 PM

Roddick's draw was weak. Blake had the tougher draw, he had to beat some class players. Blake has a better forehand, backhand and movement. He should win in two. Players return Roddick's serve quite comfortably these days.

helloworld
07-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Blake's strategy works well on players with relatively weaker serve(Nadal), but it's a bad strategy against powerful servers like Roddick. Roddick's weakness is not his serve. His weakness is the rally. You have to get him into the rally(watch the match of Federer vs Roddick and you'll learn a lot more). You can't just go and take a chance right on his strength. You're likely to lose more points than you win points.

Max G.
07-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Just a note - I'm just watching it on nbc right now

*SPOILER ALERT*

and in the first two service games of Roddick, off of his second serve, Blake has hit one return winner but missed what I think are four second serve returns.