PDA

View Full Version : Andy has found his mojo

sureshs
07-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Sounded very confident after the win over Robby today. Credited Connors for helping him. He seemed to be moving very well and his backhand was on. He was coming to the net but also playing very well from the baseline.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
07-22-2006, 01:12 PM
No, its just that Robby lost his mojo.

ACE of Hearts
07-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Dont go crazy yet.The guy has alot of work to convince people, including me.

stormholloway
07-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Andy's backhand is crap.

sureshs
07-22-2006, 01:17 PM
He was saying after the match that he was aware people had written him off at the age of 23, but he is believing in himself now.

cuddles26
07-22-2006, 01:20 PM
I hope he can get back to winning slams again. It will be very hard with Roger and Rafa on top though. I do think there is no reason he cant get back to World #3 though. He is easily better then Nalbandian and Ljubicic on a week to week basis if he is healthy and confident.

Jonny S&V
07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Andy did a good job of not exposing his BH. He did not only hit slice and he did not go for too much on his 2-hb. His FH was consistantly aggressive and he didn't go for a winner on every single ball like we've seen him do in the past. I think some or all the credit has to go to Jimmy Conners for his game and mindset.

flymeng
07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Sounded very confident after the win over Robby today. Credited Courier for helping him. He seemed to be moving very well and his backhand was on. He was coming to the net but also playing very well from the baseline.

Andy credited Connors, not Courier. Courier was the commentator.

alienhamster
07-22-2006, 01:23 PM
His game is SO different when he's playing confident. His topspin and flatter forehands and backhand slices looked great today. AND HE WAS WILLING TO PLAY DEFENSE instead of just giving up on points.

He also didn't stay in the corner after inside-out forehands but continue to play the point, expecting that his "winner" shots might come back.

He also stayed on the baseline more and was taking the ball fairly early often.

And he actually approached the net at non-stupid times, covered the RIGHT sides on attempted passes, and hit some decent volleys and half-volleys.

I think Connors and/or the doubles is helping. Something is.

stormholloway
07-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Where did you guys get to see this match? Was it on TV? TW's tennis schedule didn't list it right?

alienhamster
07-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Where did you guys get to see this match? Was it on TV? TW's tennis schedule didn't list it right?

NBC

sureshs
07-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Andy credited Connors, not Courier. Courier was the commentator.

My bad. I fixed it. I always get the two mixed up in conversation.

sureshs
07-22-2006, 01:31 PM
His game is SO different when he's playing confident. His topspin and flatter forehands and backhand slices looked great today. AND HE WAS WILLING TO PLAY DEFENSE instead of just giving up on points.

He also didn't stay in the corner after inside-out forehands but continue to play the point, expecting that his "winner" shots might come back.

And he actually approached the net at non-stupid times, covered the RIGHT sides on attempted passes, and hit some decent volleys and half-volleys.

I agree that movement was his key today. Of late he would hit a great shot and admire it (like a club player) - today he recovered and was in position for a reply.

His shots was fluent - as you say he was taking them on the rise. His timing was perfect. He also did not have the hitch on his BH - waiting till the last minute and then swinging with his arm, as he has been doing recently.

Chadwixx
07-22-2006, 01:32 PM
You guys are really desperate if you think these are great wins. Ginepri is 8-14 on the year, he isnt playing very good.

Jonny S&V
07-22-2006, 01:40 PM
You can't really tell how a guy's playing by their record on the year. Robby almost always has a slow start to the year and then he does better during the US hard court swing. The fact that he made it to the semis is an improvement. The best player he beat this year was Pistol Pete :p.

flymeng
07-22-2006, 01:40 PM
You guys are really desperate if you think these are great wins. Ginepri is 8-14 on the year, he isnt playing very good.

I agree. We have to wait till Toronto and Cincinatti. I hope Andy will find his game with more wins. I like to see big upsets in the USO. The dominance of Federer and Nadal is making tennis too predictable.

sureshs
07-22-2006, 01:44 PM

Yes we are desperate. I can't stand one more Fed-Nadal final. At least one of them should be eliminated before the finals in all US Open series tournaments. Then, during the USO, if they meet in the final, it will be exciting again. I really don't want to see them play each other in Toronto or Cincinnati.

chayajay
07-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes! I sure hope andy got his mojo back. Anyone notice hes using a yellow string maybe Hurricane tour or super smash, maybe that has helped his game a bit and gave him some confidence, he sure looked like the andy I used to know, saying good shot to Robby, he played very well, and I can only hope he can keep this up :-|

tangerine
07-22-2006, 01:51 PM
His game is SO different when he's playing confident.
This has always been key to Roddick's (or any player's) success. You could have all the shots in the world but if you don't believe in yourself or trust your game, you won't win.

Also, Roddick's backhand may "suck" (as the trolls here say) but it's not what has been making him lose all these matches. Roddick's backhand didn't magically improve in a week but the difference today was that he protected it much better.

His topspin and flatter forehands and backhand slices looked great today. AND HE WAS WILLING TO PLAY DEFENSE instead of just giving up on points.

Agree on all of these. His net approaches were also much better today. I would love to know what exactly Connors said/did to him. The belief by many that only Brad Gilbert can help Roddick get back on track has been exposed to be a myth.

Still, even if Andy were to win this title, I wouldn't take it as a sure sign that his "mojo" is back. I would be thrilled, of course, but he has been slumping for well over a year now. One title win won't make up for all that damage. He needs to start playing more consistently than he has been, quit losing to lower-ranked players all the time, and start stringing together more wins like he used to do, before I will believe that he's truly back to his old self again.

But it looks promising. :)

------------
http://roddickwatch.blogspot.com

Marat Safinator
07-22-2006, 02:01 PM
I hope he can get back to winning slams again. It will be very hard with Roger and Rafa on top though. I do think there is no reason he cant get back to World #3 though. He is easily better then Nalbandian and Ljubicic on a week to week basis if he is healthy and confident.

you mean than not then?

Jonny S&V
07-22-2006, 02:02 PM
I believe that Andy switched to full natural gut again chayajay (I hope so anyway).

alienhamster
07-22-2006, 02:44 PM
You guys are really desperate if you think these are great wins. Ginepri is 8-14 on the year, he isnt playing very good. Did I ever state that this was a "great win"? All I did was provide some analysis of what Roddick was doing better today.

I agree with Tangerine about not jumping the gun and saying Roddick is now back at the top. Andy's got to have some more consistency if he wants to go deep in tournaments again.

Even you, Chadwixx, would have to admit that he looked pretty good today. But I'm guessing you would never be that honest about anything Roddick-related.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
i'm his mojo man!!!!!!

Ever since I made my sig he hasn't lost a match:cool:

ACE of Hearts
07-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Does anyone know if the RCA final will be showned on nbc or any other station?

ShooterMcMarco
07-22-2006, 05:42 PM
it'll be shown on nbc at 11 am PST

sandiegotennisboy
07-22-2006, 05:45 PM
whatever. how much mojo do you need to win this cheap-*** event. its not like he played tough players. dont get your hopes up when you know hes just get his arse handed to him whenever he plays a top 10 player this summer. roddick is done. he's been done for a while. these little victories dont mean *****

Matthew
07-22-2006, 05:55 PM
I agree that saying even though Roddick looked good today, its easy to look good against Robby. However, confidence is confidence and he'll take any of that he can get these days. It will be interesting to see who wins tomorrow.

Lets please keep the "Who is the real number 1 american!?!!" threads to a minimum though - its only one match. :mrgreen:

With that said... LETS GO ANDY!

Woodstock_Tennis
07-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Will be an interesting game tommarrow verse Blake.

cricri
07-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I think that today Roddick played good compared to the way he has played so far. At last a final.

d_frank
07-22-2006, 07:45 PM
We'll see how he does against blake.

mctennis
07-23-2006, 02:22 AM
One tourney does not a player make.

Cfidave
07-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Roddick has not had tp play anyone in the top 20, until the finals. Let's see how he does against Blake. I do not believe a one week practice session, with anyone, can make that dramatic a difference. I think he would have gotten this far in the tourney, with or without Connors' help. I still say he will not beat the top players.

David L
07-23-2006, 04:25 AM
I still say he will not beat the top players.

Me too.

300Gkid
07-23-2006, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=Cfidave]Roddick has not had tp play anyone in the top 20, until the finals. QUOTE]

Isn't Ginepri ranked 17th?

nadalgirl26
07-23-2006, 08:22 AM
My sweet Nadal would beat him so easily. If Roddick won any games my cute Nadal would punch him in the nose on the changeover and give him a bloody nose. He would not let Roddick win any games, it would be 6-0, 6-0.

irishbanger
07-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Andy's fitness level is the thing that jumped out most at me. I have never been a fan of his game, but I think tennis needs him to do well and get results. At his best, he is one of the few who has a chance against Nadal and Federer (the others being Blake, Ljubicic, Safin and Nalbandian).

Jonny S&V
07-23-2006, 10:49 AM
My sweet Nadal would beat him so easily. If Roddick won any games my cute Nadal would punch him in the nose on the changeover and give him a bloody nose. He would not let Roddick win any games, it would be 6-0, 6-0.
Oy vey!!!:roll: The girl is nuts!!! I swear, she must stalk him whenever he goes out!:-|

cricri
07-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Oy vey!!!:roll: The girl is nuts!!! I swear, she must stalk him whenever he goes out!:-|

I think so too

sureshs
07-23-2006, 01:19 PM
darn he lost his mojo again

cricri
07-23-2006, 01:20 PM
He almost found his mojo

Viper
07-23-2006, 01:25 PM
He found his mojo, but James played better.

fishuuuuu
07-23-2006, 01:28 PM
He found his mojo, but James played better.

In at the net too much, I think. They played at the same level.

ACE of Hearts
07-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Roddick played the best match he could yet he still loss.Watching this match, i still think Roddick has alot to work on.I thought Blake could have doned better attacking that second serve from Roddick, either way great match eventually won by the best american player now.

fishuuuuu
07-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Roddick played the best match he could yet he still loss.Watching this match, i still think Roddick has alot to work on.I thought Blake could have doned better attacking that second serve from Roddick, either way great match eventually won by the best american player now.

Try to be more ... discrete ... this isn't the match result forum, you know.

alienhamster
07-23-2006, 01:36 PM
That was a fun match. Roddick ought to be able to take away a lot from this tournament. It doesn't matter what so-and-so opponent was ranked and blah blah blah. The real concern for him is HIS game and what he's doing better.

Some thoughts:

(1) He's clearly been working on the backhand down the line, and in general he hit it great today. I've never seen him hit so many backhand winners.

(2) His volleying is definitely improved, but it was less about technique and more about better anticipation and correct court/net coverage.

(3) Much better variety on serve, spins, and shot placement in rallies.

(4) Returns were better placed overall, but he still seems so weak returning the ball overall.

(5) Glad to see him staying on the baseline more, taking the ball early, and dictating with the forehand.

(6) He looks like he's flattening out the forehand again when he needs to--this is a good sign.

I really think he's on the right track here, so I wish his detractors would STFU when the guy's clearly been trying to work on all the things people on here criticize him for.

Pretty good final overall, I must say. (Wish I could be more specific, but can't in this section of the forum.)

ACE of Hearts
07-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Well when someone mentioned he lost his mojo again, dont u think that they gave it away.:rolleyes:

sureshs
07-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Well when someone mentioned he lost his mojo again, dont u think that they gave it away.:rolleyes:

hehehe

ACE of Hearts
07-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Hey Alien, give me a break, yes he played well but his return game still sucks.Noticed most of the breaks came on Blake's errors from the baseline.He still cant handle baseline rallies well.Blake did what Roger usually does against Roddick, return the serve and attack from the baseline.

fishuuuuu
07-23-2006, 01:42 PM

At least don't state it blatantly :p

Roddick looked good today, a little too frustrated at himself, but still able to commit to his weapons (the serve and forehand). Agreed he has a terrible return game and backhand (and hands at net), but that can be covered up except when he tries to use them too offensively.

alienhamster
07-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey Alien, give me a break, yes he played well but his return game still sucks.Noticed most of the breaks came on Blake's errors from the baseline.He still cant handle baseline rallies well.Blake did what Roger usually does against Roddick, return the serve and attack from the baseline. We must have been watching a different match, because Roddick AND Blake looked pretty good in rallies overall. And--well, I have to phrase this as a question here so as to not spoil the match or whatever--but who had more overall points today ya think?

ETA: Overall points doesn't mean anything in terms of winning/losing, but it is a good test for how well someone is doing in both serving and return games. Roddick was into A LOT of Blake's service games, and not just because of errors.

alienhamster
07-23-2006, 01:46 PM
At least don't state it blatantly :p

Roddick looked good today, a little too frustrated at himself, but still able to commit to his weapons (the serve and forehand). Agreed he has a terrible return game and backhand (and hands at net), but that can be covered up except when he tries to use them too offensively. Roddick hit some great volleys today, but he also bricked a couple of important ones. And the backhand is WEAK but looked way better today than it has lately.

tennisjunkiela
07-23-2006, 01:46 PM
That was a fun match. Roddick ought to be able to take away a lot from this tournament. It doesn't matter what so-and-so opponent was ranked and blah blah blah. The real concern for him is HIS game and what he's doing better.

Some thoughts:

(1) He's clearly been working on the backhand down the line, and in general he hit it great today. I've never seen him hit so many backhand winners.

(2) His volleying is definitely improved, but it was less about technique and more about better anticipation and correct court/net coverage.

(3) Much better variety on serve, spins, and shot placement in rallies.

(4) Returns were better placed overall, but he still seems so weak returning the ball overall.

(5) Glad to see him staying on the baseline more, taking the ball early, and dictating with the forehand.

(6) He looks like he's flattening out the forehand again when he needs to--this is a good sign.

I really think he's on the right track here, so I wish his detractors would STFU when the guy's clearly been trying to work on all the things people on here criticize him for.

Pretty good final overall, I must say. (Wish I could be more specific, but can't in this section of the forum.)

great analysis alienhamster - couldn't agree more!

i was pulling for blake but i am extremely proud of roddick! i am proud of the work he has put in to get better!!

win or lose, you can see that his hard work is beginning to pay off. his volleying is getting much better and his court coverage, for someone his size, is very impressive - he made blake hit a lot of extra balls today.

i totally disagreed with courier's assessment that roddick needs to stay on the baseline during crunch time. he had so many looks at breaking blake but wasn't able to do it THIS TIME but, now roddick seems to have a game plan and i believe that it will all gel together in due time (hopefully at the us open!)

punch
07-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Roddick should have won this match, that is the bottom line.
Blake saved himself so many times with clutch plays, Roddick was in control of the match for many points but just couldn't get the break.
If Blake didn't get that point on 5-4 in the tiebreak I think Roddick would have won the match.

Few things that made me happy from Roddick's play were as follows:

- Backhand looked heaps better then previous matches of his, I was impressed with it all match

-Serving had variety all match long

-IMO Roddick played a strategically stronger match then in the past, I could see him working this game

This was a great match between two top 10 American players, I think this will put Andy on the right track, hopefully next week in L.A. he can build upon this and get far into the tournament. Ultimately I hope his progess in the series will lead to a great showing in the USO.

Supernatural_Serve
07-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Looks like Andy is right where he belongs.

Losing to guys in the top 15 (Blake)

and beating the others (Delgado(103), Morrison(183), Muller(76), Ginepri(17)).

Andy, should start thinking more about doubles.

ACE of Hearts
07-23-2006, 02:02 PM
People need to look at this match again.Roddick's game as a returner is just horrible.He depends on the other player to bail him out.Blake could have easily lost this match cause his first serve percentage was just horrible but the baseline rallies went mostly to Blake.

punch
07-23-2006, 02:05 PM
AoH I think you just like bashing Roddick, I watched the whole match, his return game isn't good, but you refer to it as if it were a 3.0.

Supernatural_Serve
07-23-2006, 02:05 PM
and Andy can't win a net point (especially if it matters) to save him. He made 2 crucial errors on textbook volleys for worldclass players when serving for the match, and during the tie break.

Andy can't move like a world class tennis player, and that will not improve anytime soon. His reaction time is terrible relative to his peers also.

ACE of Hearts
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Nope punch, i am just a realist who believes Roddick still cant win a baseline rally to save his life, he could hire Ali Babba, it aint changing, Blake has learned well from Fed on how to attack Roddick.

skip1969
07-23-2006, 02:43 PM
roddick was miserable on returns. i mean, for someone at his (supposed) level. it is startling, even if some of you see improvement. why do people talk about roddick and tiebrekers so much? cos the man can't break anyone (and holds serve, for the most part). blake's servicegames were long, true. and roddick had his chances to break. but he didn't. because he doesn't return well enough, and he's still pretty erratic from the back.

at the net he is still dire, regardless of "improvement." he may be gaining confidence, but as has been mentioned, indy was hardly star-studded. and how much difference could a week with connors possibly make.

i'm a little confused about all roddick's outward shows of frustration. his gesticulations and racquet tossing, and verbal groans and moans. it seemed a bit too much for me, like he was laying it on real thick to get a few sympathy votes. i mean, he wasn't playing as awful as usual. and blake hit some amazing shots today. even then, roddick was moaning. what, are we supposed to feel sorry for him now?

Supernatural_Serve
07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
i'm a little confused about all roddick's outward shows of frustration. his gesticulations and racquet tossing, and verbal groans and moans. it seemed a bit too much for me, like he was laying it on real thick to get a few sympathy votes. i mean, he wasn't playing as awful as usual. and blake hit some amazing shots today. even then, roddick was moaning. what, are we supposed to feel sorry for him now?In my opinion, this is the personality of an arrogant primadonna who has tasted the fruits of the top of the tree, believes he belongs there feasting away, yet the rest of us recognize that he is not top 10 material and we seem to all know why. He seems to know neither of these or are those outward shows of frustration his process for coming around to the truth "I am not a top 10 player or contender and probably never will be..."

cricri
07-23-2006, 02:52 PM
i'm a little confused about all roddick's outward shows of frustration. his gesticulations and racquet tossing, and verbal groans and moans. it seemed a bit too much for me, like he was laying it on real thick to get a few sympathy votes. i mean, he wasn't playing as awful as usual. and blake hit some amazing shots today. even then, roddick was moaning. what, are we supposed to feel sorry for him now?

I was thinking that he should try to be like Fed. Less talking and screaming and maybe he will be able to concentrate more and play well.

arosen
07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
The news of Andy's mojo returning were premature.

chiru
07-23-2006, 03:12 PM
cut him some slack you guys. this is not the same andy we saw losing to...well...andy, at wimbledon. this is a definately much improved roddick. i seriously hopehe just gets his confidence back, cuz as we could see today, he knows how to play. i mean the match was down to a few points either way so all credit to both players. but like it or not, we haven't seen roddick this good for a really really long while. go andy, and get your friggin mojo back.

skip1969
07-23-2006, 03:30 PM
In my opinion, this is the personality of an arrogant primadonna who has tasted the fruits of the top of the tree, believes he belongs there feasting away, yet the rest of us recognize that he is not top 10 material and we seem to all know why. He seems to know neither of these or are those outward shows of frustration his process for coming around to the truth "I am not a top 10 player or contender and probably never will be..."
well, not to beat a dead horse or anything . . . but the thing the bugged me about his outward expressions of frustration today, is that it seemed disingenuous. like he was play-acting out there or just being demonstrative for the sake of being demonstrative. i don't know, maybe connors told him to show some emotion out there and work the crowd, but roddick didn't really get what he was saying.

well, at least he played better than he has in a while.

sureshs
07-23-2006, 03:41 PM

I have noticed that before. In this case, it was a match between friends and he was having a good time. But his letting it all hang out attitude will harm him when he plays Federer or Nadal, who just like to focus on their game. His emotional outbursts will be perceived as a loser's complaints. It will add to their confidence and take away from his. In one sense, Andy is a throwback to an earlier era where players would play as if they LIKED to play, and not as if they were robots being controlled by the vested interest guys around them.

tangerine
07-23-2006, 03:42 PM
cut him some slack you guys. this is not the same andy we saw losing to...well...andy, at wimbledon. this is a definately much improved roddick. i seriously hopehe just gets his confidence back, cuz as we could see today, he knows how to play. i mean the match was down to a few points either way so all credit to both players. but like it or not, we haven't seen roddick this good for a really really long while. go andy, and get your friggin mojo back.
Great post, thanks for being one of the few who have something intelligent to say.

The final was fantastic and high-quality all the way through. Both Andy and James played superbly, showing off a variety of shots, spins, and serves. Roddick may have lost this time but if he keeps playing this good all summer, he'll definitely pick up a title or two.

More importantly, he's now back in the Top Ten where he belongs.

BTW, Roddick and Bobby Reynolds just won the doubles final, 6-4 6-4. One title is better than none. :p

I'm really looking foward to seeing more of this new American rivalry this summer. :cool:

sureshs
07-23-2006, 03:44 PM

Right on the mark, Chiru.

He showed great improvement in movement, backhand DTLs, serve variety, general enthusiasm.