PDA

View Full Version : Whose victory celebration style did you prefer?

flymeng
07-22-2006, 01:57 PM
We have seen many finals and victories. Some players showed emotions whereas some were very calm. For example, I remembered Safin showed little emotion when he won USO 2000 and AO 2005. He raised both hands for few seconds, that was it. We saw Federer went down on his knees and started to weep a couple of times. I thought Roddick over did in his USO 2003 victory. It was unbearable for me to watch because it didn't seem natural for him to weep. Kuneztsova was calm after her win in USO 2004. She just raised her hands for a few seconds. Agassi got emotional a couple of times in his first W, USO and FO victories. He was pretty nonchalant in the AO victories, especially the later ones.

Volly master
07-22-2006, 02:00 PM
i think Federer's "twinkle toe" celebration at the 05 USO seemed pretty cool

Grigollif1
07-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Guga Kuerten is just a joy to watch,..He really shares his hapiness With the crowd... Remeber that Heart he Drew at the clay in the French Open. I tought , that was really special..

pound cat
07-22-2006, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=flymeng]We have seen many finals and victories. Some players showed emotions whereas some were very calm. For example, I remembered Safin showed little emotion when he won USO 2000 and AO 2005.

.although Safin had tears in his eyes when he sat down...he's a very public person in his interviews and on the court, but in moments really important to him, he's very private. And winning each of these Slams was a BIG moment for him, one his first, AO 05 his "at last I won it" slam. Internal pride.

Yeah marat, you're good. Now Believe it ...again

Viper
07-22-2006, 02:27 PM
i think Federer's "twinkle toe" celebration at the 05 USO seemed pretty cool

Second'd

tangerine
07-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Safin's "celebration" (if you can call it that) at 2005 AO was very disappointing. He raised a fist, and that's it. No tears, no big smiles, no dancing, no nothing. It was hard to be happy for him when he could barely celebrate such a big win himself. It was his first slam title in five years, I expected something more. It's probably not in his nature to do the Monfils endzone dance but still...show something. :neutral:

His 2000 USO win celebration was more fun to watch. He was very demonstrative, big smiles all around, and even climbed into the stands to hug his team.

Most of Federer's celebrations, save for his Wimbledon wins, have left me cold. Particularly, that bizarre fall-to-his-knees act at 2004 USO was completely insincere and made a mockery of Hewitt. This was when Roger double bageled Hewitt and he acted like he just beat Sampras or something. The match was hardly in doubt and he totally overreacted, imo. His reaction to winning 2005 USO, though, was great. *That* was a huge win for him.

Roddick's USO celebration was a joy to watch. It was real, it was sincere, it was very "him." I hope we'll get to see him celebrate like that again very soon. :cool:

Nadal's first RG celebration was also a joy to watch. Uninhibited, youthful, and real. I didn't like his second RG celebration, he seemed to be holding back. Ditto Roger at 2006 Wimbledon. It was odd to not see him react hardly at all when he finally beat Nadal.

Agassi's 1994 USO win has a special place in my heart. It's one of my favorite tennis memories.

Venus overreacted to her 2005 Wimbledon win. Had she at least acknowledged Davenport and stopped jumping up and down screaming after five minutes, it would have been a terrific celebration.

I loved Sharapova's reaction to winning in 2004. But her YEC celebration was horrendously phony.

In summary: athletes should take acting lessons to better prepare their celebration reactions. ;)

pound cat
07-22-2006, 02:47 PM
"athletes should take acting lessons to better prepare their celebration reactions. "

Couses given in November by Federer...not cheap, no gurantees that the lessons learned will ever be used. Supplementary class in falling to the ground available.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-22-2006, 02:49 PM
I like Nadals RG celebrations, and Fed's Wimby ones( not this year though)

Safins' 05 AO- you didn't know the difference of him winning a match or a slam.

Roddicks 03 USO was nice, don't think we'll see anything like that again until he wins Wimby.

Lleyton Hewitt
07-22-2006, 02:51 PM
anybody got vids of when hewitt won us open 2003 and wimby 2002....when he won queens earlier this year....that was the biggest c'mon i had heard from him.

tennisprofl
07-22-2006, 02:52 PM
i like federer's wimbledon reactions

Marat Safinator
07-22-2006, 02:53 PM
I dont really care of celebrations although I was nearly crying when goran won wimbledon. safins celebrations are more my style, no acting or lying on his back like nadal.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-22-2006, 02:54 PM
http://www.stellaartoistennis.com/news/video.asp#

Lleyton Hewitt( the kid), this is Hewitts Queens Club win this year. click on june 18th on the right.

Marat Safinator
07-22-2006, 02:54 PM
anybody got vids of when hewitt won us open 2003 and wimby 2002....when he won queens earlier this year....that was the biggest c'mon i had heard from him.

hewitt never won the us open in 2003....

pound cat
07-22-2006, 02:56 PM
The best ever was Wimby. 06 ...Roger on the verge of happy hysteria after beating his arch-rival, and the gracious words from Nadal...and that low-five...& leaving together with ball kids on either side as if each of them won...Nadal knowing that he can in fact win Wimbledon, Federer knowing that he won it. Great feel-good ending ...tennis actually seemed like the gentleman's sport. Made you not really care who won.

baros
07-22-2006, 02:58 PM
federer's first three wimbledon titles and nadals second french when he dropped to the red clay.
________
Chevrolet Cheyenne picture (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Cheyenne)

Lleyton Hewitt
07-22-2006, 02:59 PM
lol 2001 sorry

ShcMad
07-22-2006, 03:34 PM
I liked Stepanek's celebration after winning against Acasuso in Hamburg this year. He did the worm!

erik-the-red
07-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I liked Roger Federer's backbend at Wimbledon 2004.

Hewitt's "c'mon" was very loud this year at Queen's because he had been dry since January 2005 title-wise. Venus Williams was ecstatic at last year's Wimbledon because she hadn't won since 2001.

KuramaIX
07-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Federer's AO 2006, I liked the way he shrieked yea!!!
:p

Andres
07-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Gaudio's FO at 2004. Throwing the racquet in the air, crying, doing an olympic lap, with high fives with everyone on his way. That was beautiful :D

Max G.
07-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Safin, for me ;)

aramis
07-23-2006, 07:15 AM
I like the celabrations that are just simple and natural, no overacting.
Federer's first two Wimbledons were very classy and sincere looking. Also Ferrero's French Open celebration looked very natural.

naturalgut
07-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Goran Ivanisevic Wimbledon '01 was great!!!

Condoleezza
07-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Guga Kuerten is just a joy to watch,..He really shares his hapiness With the crowd... Remeber that Heart he Drew at the clay in the French Open. I tought , that was really special..

Cheesy ....

Mr Topspin
07-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Rafter 97 after his first US Open win. He fell to his knees and threw his racket behind him high in the air. It was a classic moment and has been shown on the Virtua tour 2 ps2 game as an animated sequence.

helloworld
07-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Definitely Fed, I love watching a grown up cry like a baby. :D

Bones08
07-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Venus & Guga. Those are the best 2 that I can think of!

Polvorin
07-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Most of Federer's celebrations, save for his Wimbledon wins, have left me cold. Particularly, that bizarre fall-to-his-knees act at 2004 USO was completely insincere and made a mockery of Hewitt. This was when Roger double bageled Hewitt and he acted like he just beat Sampras or something. The match was hardly in doubt and he totally overreacted, imo. His reaction to winning 2005 USO, though, was great. *That* was a huge win for him.

I would argue that he was celebrating not because of how difficult the match was, but because of the history he was creating. Also he was probably very happy with himself being able to play two perfect sets in a grand slam final.

Freedom
07-23-2006, 01:44 PM
I like Federer's first three Wimbledons as well. His toe-jiggler against Agassi at last years US Open was kinda funky.

bdawg
07-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I Loved Safin's 2005 celebration, and Feds Wimby 2006 raised arms. They acted like class acts and didn't needlessly fall to the ground. Safin impressed me the most...

ever heard of the expression... "pretend like you've been there before"

chiru
07-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Gaudio's FO at 2004. Throwing the racquet in the air, crying, doing an olympic lap, with high fives with everyone on his way. That was beautiful :D

ditto that was one of the best. seeing sampras win the wimbledon 2000 title, that was pretty sweet, his reaction wasn't that big of a deal, so much as his running around looking for his parents, and just raising his hands as soon as he saw them. that was pretty freakin cool.

Matthew
07-23-2006, 03:49 PM
I think its nice to see the players run into the stands and meet their parents or group and have a nice moment with them. The good thing about an emotional reaction is that you can really be happy for whoever it is who has won because you can actually see how much it means to them.

FEDEXP
07-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I was at the Australian Open this year and thought Federer was (potentially) in deep trouble against Bhagdatis. So though he was criticized by some for his tears, it was a great celebration for me. Rod Laver was supposed to award the trophy the year before (when Fed lost to Safin in the Semi) but his wife was ill; he just happens to be a hero of Federer so it was great to see.

Also, he had made sure that the parents of his Australian coach (who died) were in attendance....great stuff.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 04:25 PM
i remember when venus won miami against kournikova in miami. she did the "doodoo brown" move. i thought it was ghetto fabulous. she musta made 100 ghetto kids pick up a racquet that day. lol.

Bones08
07-23-2006, 04:35 PM
i remember when venus won miami against kournikova in miami. she did the "doodoo brown" move. i thought it was ghetto fabulous. she musta made 100 ghetto kids pick up a racquet that day. lol.

I remeber that! She put her hands in the air with some sort of Knee Bend(lol)!

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I remeber that! She put her hands in the air with some sort of Knee Bend(lol)!

yeah, i like any of her victory celebrations actually cuz its never fake. yeah she looked kinda autistic with the nervous laughter in wimby last year but that reaction was real. everyone else's reaction nowadays is so PC or so rehearsed. cant stand watching Fed's. if i have to see nadal roll on dirt again i will have a dump truck pile clay on his *** and bury him. mauresmo just hurts my eyes.

Breaker
07-23-2006, 05:38 PM

Found his 2002 Wimby, Nalbandian looks funny haha.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nhz1_xv8LN8&search=Hewitt%20Agassi

oscar_2424
07-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Petr Korda, great!!

MirkoMecir
07-23-2006, 10:41 PM
I liked Roger Federer's backbend at Wimbledon 2004.

Hewitt's "c'mon" was very loud this year at Queen's because he had been dry since January 2005 title-wise. Venus Williams was ecstatic at last year's Wimbledon because she hadn't won since 2001.

I'm with ya on that backbend. Reminiscent of Borg. Looks painful! Check it out again:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4034574052685379284

Paloheimo
07-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Goran Ivanisevic Wimbledon '01 was great!!!

I agree totally! Best Wimby final ever! Go Goran!

Bones08
07-24-2006, 12:08 AM
yeah, i like any of her victory celebrations actually cuz its never fake. yeah she looked kinda autistic with the nervous laughter in wimby last year but that reaction was real. everyone else's reaction nowadays is so PC or so rehearsed. cant stand watching Fed's. if i have to see nadal roll on dirt again i will have a dump truck pile clay on his *** and bury him. mauresmo just hurts my eyes.

Yeah, she truly shows her emotions when she wins a tournament!

Duzza
07-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Gael Monfils chicken dance.