PDA

View Full Version : how to become a professional tennis player?

oray777
07-22-2006, 06:38 PM
So how does one go about becoming a professional tennis player? Let's say i'm just coming off the streets.

SydneyJim
07-22-2006, 06:40 PM
go sign in @ the ITF Futures and pray you get into qualies... or play the wildcard tournaments and hope you win the thing... =), wait then after that win a main draw round

Fee
07-22-2006, 06:55 PM
If you're just coming off the streets, you won't get very far. You are supposed to have an IPIN number to play ITF events now. If you don't have one of those, then you need to be a 'local guy' who knows the tournament director and can convince him to give you a wildcard spot in qualies. Win four qualie matches, get into the main draw, win a match or two, earn a few dollars of prize money and you are officially a pro player. Are you a good pro player? No, but you are technically a pro.

SydneyJim
07-22-2006, 07:14 PM
If you're just coming off the streets, you won't get very far. You are supposed to have an IPIN number to play ITF events now. If you don't have one of those, then you need to be a 'local guy' who knows the tournament director and can convince him to give you a wildcard spot in qualies. Win four qualie matches, get into the main draw, win a match or two, earn a few dollars of prize money and you are officially a pro player. Are you a good pro player? No, but you are technically a pro.

not really... sign in... anyone who doesn't have a ranking... will be picked by random anyways, and when you sign in and you make it into your qualies... then you'll get your ipin

Volly master
07-22-2006, 07:27 PM
then win win win and become pro..for like $75!!! :)

Fee
07-22-2006, 07:50 PM
not really... sign in... anyone who doesn't have a ranking... will be picked by random anyways, and when you sign in and you make it into your qualies... then you'll get your ipin

Guess the Futures in Texas aren't as competitive as the ones in California. We recently had a swing here and just about all the players in qualies had rankings or numbers. Made for some pretty competitive matches out there.

SydneyJim
07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Guess the Futures in Texas aren't as competitive as the ones in California. We recently had a swing here and just about all the players in qualies had rankings or numbers. Made for some pretty competitive matches out there.

i was there... the only reason why was because there was a challenger right there with all the futures... AND it was a 15... meaning 64 draw for qualies... watch the southern cali tournament it's a 10... meaning 128 draw much more scrubs and 80yr old men coming to play =)

oray777
07-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Okay then i'm going to check the ITF website and see what i gotta do. Thanks!!

SydneyJim
07-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Okay then i'm going to check the ITF website and see what i gotta do. Thanks!!

just show up and sign in =)

nickybol
07-23-2006, 02:33 AM
You need to have a national ranking, that way it is easier to get into qualifying draws.

equinox
07-23-2006, 02:44 AM
Unless you have itf senior or decent itf junior ranking you won't get into any 32 player futures qualifying draws in Australia or Usa. Ocassionally if you have a high national ranking from playing money tournaments in your country or are a promising junior from the futures country. A tourny director might give you a break, a wildcard into qualifying.

There's nothing like playing pre-qualfying matches for a chance to enter a sattelite. 4.5-5.0 hacks here we come. :D

35ft6
07-23-2006, 03:35 AM
Just get a USTA membership and start playing open tournaments in your area. If you're good, word will get around. As a rule, if you have to wonder how to "go pro off the streets" you're not good enough to go pro... ever... ever. But because you don't have enough experience to know that what I say is true, go play some local open tournaments and find out for yourself. If you're pro quality, you'll probably win every open tournament you enter and barely lose games in most of the rounds.

nickybol
07-23-2006, 03:44 AM
There are many, many tournaments, with open spots in the qualifying draws. Especially Asian tournaments are very weak. On the ITF website you can check the qualifying draws of last year, to see whether you would get in or not.

But what 35ft6 says, becoming pro is not something you do "just coming of the streets". But you`ll find it fun just playing futures qualifying and losing -0 -0 in the first rounds. You get to see a lot of places. Maybe you can even buy yourself maindraw wildcards. It`s common practice.

Fee
07-23-2006, 10:39 AM
i was there... the only reason why was because there was a challenger right there with all the futures... AND it was a 15... meaning 64 draw for qualies... watch the southern cali tournament it's a 10... meaning 128 draw much more scrubs and 80yr old men coming to play =)

That makes sense, from what I understand all 3 of those futures had good qualie draws. Unlike the most recent three, looks like there were a lot of empty spots in those. Perhaps the surface had something to do with it.

SydneyJim
07-23-2006, 10:40 AM
i had to friggin start from scratch because my rankin is friggin 6 yrs old lmfao