PDA

View Full Version : sharapova will never win a grand slam again....agree?

Young Pete
07-23-2006, 12:09 AM
there is too much competition and she's just not good enough.

mctennis
07-23-2006, 01:19 AM
She may never win a Grand Slam tournament but there are plenty of smaller tournaments to win PLUS endorcements. look at Kournakova. She isn't hurting for $$$ and look at how poorly she did at the Grand Slams.

Jack Romeo
07-23-2006, 03:45 AM
she's always getting to the semis and many of her losses are to the eventual champions. those losses also have been mostly 3-setters, definitely no blow-outs. remeber that serena also went through a period after her 1999 us open win when she couldn't get past the quarters or semis. but look how many slams she has now. i think right now, maria is going through a period of development similar to what serena went through in 2000-2001.

i think maria will win more slams because everyone is getting injured or having mental issues or whatever that inevitably, there will come a time when sharapova is the one who's healthiest and most determined. yes maria also gets injured but i am just saying that there will be times when she is the one healthy and the others aren't.

the players who have troubled her most are the top 3 - mauresmo, henin-hardenne and clijsters. if clijsters quits the game in 2007 like she says, then that leaves amelie and justine. as good as mauresmo is playing, there is no way i see her dominating ala graf/navratilova or even seles/serena/venus. there will be some times when amelie is upset by young, eager players like vaidisova. and it's not like maria never has a chance in her matches against amelie. it's hard to imagine sharapova never breaking through against mauresmo. henin-hardenne, meanwhile, might be tougher to deal with, but she seems more prone to injury and illness (maybe because of the virus thing). i predict that in the future, maria will catch her on an off-day when she is not feeling well and be able to beat her too.

the other players are less troublesome for her. the williams sisters are in and out with injuries and motivation while davenport is retiring, and it's not like they're dominating maria head-to-head. the younger players (vaidisova, ivanovic) are not as mentally tough.

so definitely yes, i think maria will win more slams. but i also think she is not consistent enough to become a long-term number 1 player. then again, who is?

laurie
07-23-2006, 03:53 AM
History has precedents so I would say yes, she can win more slams. She's not 20 years old yet and she can improve. Mauresmo won her first slam age 26 and has just won her second after turning 27 during the tournament. These are the precedents with young players.

Sampras won his fisrt slam in 1990 and then his second in 1993.
Serena won her first slam in 1999 and then her second in 2002.

Usually it takes a while after a teenager wins their first slam to win a second. Svetlana Kuznetsova got to the final of the French and won Miami so she's improving and becoming an all round player, compared to when she won the US Open.

If Sharapova can improve her movement, get more consistency on her forehand and improve her net play, she can win more slams in the future.

Condoleezza
07-23-2006, 04:17 AM

Shara has talent and can still improve. And no, there is not much serious competition nowadays.
We have Henin, Mauresmo and maybe Clijsters who are slam-winner material as of now. Davenport is on her way out (and hasn't won a slam in the last 6 years), the Williams sisters seem to be done, too.
The other Russians (Kuzzy, Petrova, Myskina) are very average players.
The young guns (Ivanovic, Vaidisova, Mirza, Groenefeld) haven't delivered and most probably never will.

As a matter of fact the lack of talent in today's women's tennis is utterly depressing. Hopefully there are some 12-13-year-old girls already in the wings eager to take women's tennis to new heights again.

Condi

nadalgirl26
07-23-2006, 04:36 AM
There are players who wins slasm at 17 and never win again. Look at Michael Chang. Pam Shriver reached a slam final at 16 or 17 and never did again. Austin won 2 slams as a teenager and never won agian. It happens easy and will happen again to Maria. she aint is good as the other top girls and her game is too one way and boring.

Alexandros
07-23-2006, 05:10 AM
Sharapova has consistently gone into the second week of grand slams - the fact that she puts herself in the position to make something happen on such a regular basis means that all she needs is for one of the top players who consistently beat her to have an off day and she's into another slam final. That's assuming she doesn't improve her game and gain the technical ability to beat the likes of Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne and Mauresmo. It's patently absurd to write off her career when she is still so very young.

helloworld
07-23-2006, 05:12 AM
She just can't beat the top wta players on a consistant basis, so I think she may never win anymore slam again.

nadalgirl26
07-23-2006, 05:15 AM
Right now Clijsters Henin and Mauresmo are the only ones to stop her so she makesa semis alot, and is only two crummy matches from those much better three players away from winning slam titles which is still not likely. However Serean had a good event and is getting back in shape. Venus is too young to be tottally done, will probaly come back to contender enough to beat Maria again even if she doesnt win many more slams. Vaidisova showed her talent at the French, she will only get better and more mature and start challening morea for slams and beating Maria regularly, her technique and power is better then Marias is she cuts her errors down and stays tougher. Ivanovic is also more talented and smooth hitter then Maria, in a year or two she is also a contedner and always beating Maria. Martina Hingis has come some way in comeback and will be contender for slams soon too and betaing Maria more, she beat her one time this year already hasnt she? So things Maria only get alot tougher from here, not easy. Her game arleady peaked, she shows no improvement left.

Alexandros
07-23-2006, 05:18 AM
Silly fangirl, why do you assume Vaidsova 'will only get better' but Sharapova won't improve at all?

nadalgirl26
07-23-2006, 05:19 AM
Silly fangirl, why do you assume Vaidsova 'will only get better' but Sharapova won't improve at all?

She is two yeras younger and is improving now, her game shows more potential for growth and is not limited by bad technique like Marias ugly game. Maria has not improved at all since winning her wimbledon two years ago, her game is the same, and in fact her best match ever is still Wimbledon final two years ago.

Max G.
07-23-2006, 05:21 AM
She just can't beat the top wta players on a consistant basis, so I think she may never win anymore slam again.

But she doesn't need to beat them on a consistent basis to win a Slam. She needs to beat them twice - once in the semis and once in the finals. (She CAN beat, consistently, the kind of players she faces before the semis.)

So I vote yes - someday she'll have a good two days at the right time.

nadalgirl26
07-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Just because therea are only 3 players better then her and she only has to win two big matches does not mean it will stay that way. Vaidisova and Ivanovic are coming up fast and will be better then Maria soon, their techinique is better and thier power is too if they keep balls in court. Hingis is still improving in her comeback and has already whoopeda Maria once, who is to say she wont be better then Maria soon too. Venus can still come back in force, Serena is coming back strong already. Kuzntsova and Petrova are better then Maria when they have their stuff togethera, but they are up and down, both can beat Maria anyday they play their game though. Dementieva might fix her serve someday and ifs he does she will beat Maria most of the time. She could easily have 8 players better then her soon, or even 12. It wont neccessarily stay at only 3.

Even with only people better thne her in last two rounds she will have a hard time winning 2 straight matches. She has lost in semis something like 6 times in a row so even winning the first match against better person is hard enough. So if she needs 7 or 8 tries(we are still waiting fors number) to do it once, she might not do it twice even in about 30 tries.

tennisprofl
07-23-2006, 05:56 AM
i think sharapova will win 1 more grand slam title

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 06:18 AM
sharapova is just like roddick:

-has a 1 dimensional game with no plan B that mostly everyone has figured out
-will never win another slam

Exile
07-23-2006, 06:31 AM
think maria will win more slams because everyone is getting injured or having mental issues or whatever that inevitably, there will come a time when sharapova is the one who's healthiest and most determined. yes maria also gets injured but i am just saying that there will be times when she is the one healthy and the others aren't.

You pretty much said she would only win when everyone else isn't 100%.

What kind of champ is that?

Bones08
07-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Nicole Vaidisova destroyed Maria in WTT in 04. She was 15, Maria was 17. When I saw that match live, I knew in the future who would be better. Nicole V does everything better than Maria. Her serve is better, her backhand is open stance and reliable, and that forehand is huge. She loves the 1-2 combo.

Breaker
07-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Nicole Vaidisova destroyed Maria in WTT in 04. She was 15, Maria was 17. When I saw that match live, I knew in the future who would be better. Nicole V does everything better than Maria. Her serve is better, her backhand is open stance and reliable, and that forehand is huge. She loves the 1-2 combo.

Yet she has no mental strength which will be the key to Sharapova eventually winning a few more slams.

Bones08
07-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Nicole just needs to Channel her anger, and rip up the tennis courts, not rip the spectators heads off with balls! In due time, she will learn.

ontherise17
07-23-2006, 09:45 AM
You pretty much said she would only win when everyone else isn't 100%.

What kind of champ is that?

the same champ mauresmo was in austrailia

and dont even discredit me on this one cuz i love amilie, but thats how womens tennis works now a days.

Exile
07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Ok so using that logic, any one of us could become the number one player in the world if we merely broke everyone's ankles. That really doesn't say much for any tennis player.

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
She is two yeras younger and is improving now, her game shows more potential for growth and is not limited by bad technique like Marias ugly game. Maria has not improved at all since winning her wimbledon two years ago, her game is the same, and in fact her best match ever is still Wimbledon final two years ago.

How is Maria Sharapova's technique ugly? She is one of the few elite women that can even hit the reverse forehand, let alone do it EFFECTIVELY as she does many a time. The only thing that gets on my nerve is her grunting.

Vaidasova is going to be a bust like Marat Safin. Yes she may win 1-2 GS in her career, but I don't see her winning more then Maria Sharapova. She just isn't mentally tough enough, and becoming mentally tough takes a very, very, very, long time.

Nadal-inator
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Sharapova to me seems a bit mentally unstable as she draws near the finals of a major...she cant pull through anymore...she seemed to have lost a lot of her "no fear" attitude. That or shes too interested in other things like Serena...

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Sharapova to me seems a bit mentally unstable as she draws near the finals of a major...she cant pull through anymore...she seemed to have lost a lot of her "no fear" attitude. That or shes too interested in other things like Serena...

It's not that she's mentally unstable, her game is just not well rounded enough to beat the top 10 players. Now the top 10 womens players are employing alot of anti-power tactics. If you look at the top 10, the big power hitters are really slipping away. Kutznetsova and Davenport, the two biggest power hitters in the top 10 IMO aren't so hot anymore. Sharapova is the last power hitter that is still successful at the moment, as the women's game is giving way to all court players like Justin Henin Hardenne and Mauresmo, or point constructers like Dementieva, Clijsters (who although is classified as a counter puncher, can construct a point just as good as any other woman on the tour), and Mary Pierce.

chinese dragon
07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
true about the all court players taking over...but I think Sharapova still has a way to go...she's physically not as strong as the other women

Slazenger
07-25-2006, 01:17 AM
How is Maria Sharapova's technique ugly? She is one of the few elite women that can even hit the reverse forehand, let alone do it EFFECTIVELY as she does many a time.

LOL at this statement!
Everybody and their mother can hit the reverse forehand. It however is much more efficient (especially for women) to hit through and finish with complete follow through across the body which is why you don't see players hitting that way except when they are pulled out wide or catch a forehand late.

I also wouldn't call her reverse forehand effective. SHe backs off the ball when she hits it (the resulting stroke does look awkward and I can see how someone would call it ugly).
Don't get me wrong, Sharapova hits the ball a ton. She can hit a really huge forehand, especially when she steps into the shot but for an effective reverse forehand look to Lindsay Davenport.
That shot looks like butter on her racquet.

tangerine
07-25-2006, 07:20 AM
sharapova will never win a grand slam again....agree?

Nope.

NamRanger
07-25-2006, 07:29 AM
LOL at this statement!
Everybody and their mother can hit the reverse forehand. It however is much more efficient (especially for women) to hit through and finish with complete follow through across the body which is why you don't see players hitting that way except when they are pulled out wide or catch a forehand late.

I also wouldn't call her reverse forehand effective. SHe backs off the ball when she hits it (the resulting stroke does look awkward and I can see how someone would call it ugly).
Don't get me wrong, Sharapova hits the ball a ton. She can hit a really huge forehand, especially when she steps into the shot but for an effective reverse forehand look to Lindsay Davenport.
That shot looks like butter on her racquet.

Of course anyone can hit a reverse forehand, but do you see any women using the reverse forehand effectively as Sharapova does? Oh, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure she could hit a reverse forehand better then 90% of this board, so please don't laugh. The only women that hits a better reverse forehand is Lindsay Davenport.

Roy
07-28-2006, 03:13 AM
Totally disagree.

I'm sure she will.

sandiegotennisboy
07-28-2006, 03:55 AM
her game is ugly, she hits down the middle of the court a lot, she doesnt really know how to construct points, everyone has adapted to her power, everyone knows her game, and she is not mechanically sound.......i highly doubt she will win another slam unless a bunch of people are injured.

superman1
07-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Are you kidding? She goes deep in most every tournament and she's only, what, 19 years old? Younger than Nadal. Her body is still growing and awkward and you're writing her off? Her game will only get smarter from here on in. The real danger for her is if she burns out and starts hating tennis and hating her father even more.

baros
07-28-2006, 04:54 AM
100% agree.she is so overrated it's not even funny.
________
Chrysler Newport history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Newport)

Rickson
07-28-2006, 06:04 AM
She might not, but if she does, watch how many more endorsements she gets. Wimbledon was the best thing to happen for Maria financially.

Marat Safinator
07-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Sharapova has a very awkward style, similar to venus williams I think.
To answer the question Id have to agree, dont think she will win any other.

Condoleezza
07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
She might not, but if she does, watch how many more endorsements she gets. Wimbledon was the best thing to happen for Maria financially.

It's not about getting the most endorsements in tennis.
Otherwise Sharapova would have a more successful career than Navratilova had.
It's more about glory, legacy.

Condi

Condoleezza
07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Sharapova has a very awkward style, similar to venus williams I think.
To answer the question Id have to agree, dont think she will win any other.

Venus at her best doesn't have an awkward style. Her power game could be even graceful sometimes.

Condi

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-28-2006, 01:52 PM
c'mon, this is a ridicolous statement she will win a slam again.
She consistent at Wimby the last three years, with both her losses coming to eventual champions.
She made the semis of the Austrailian, and she's only 19 so she can improve.
She could improve her movement and volley, but she will win many more slams before her career is over.
She should have some good rivalries with players until she retires, namely Kuznetsova and Vaidisova.

bleno567
07-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Its all a guessing game, sharapova does consistently get to the quarters and semis, but nobody can predict if shes gonna start winning everything or go on a huge losing streak.

NamRanger
07-28-2006, 06:24 PM
her game is ugly, she hits down the middle of the court a lot, she doesnt really know how to construct points, everyone has adapted to her power, everyone knows her game, and she is not mechanically sound.......i highly doubt she will win another slam unless a bunch of people are injured.

Last time I checked, I found that even though Maria Sharapova doesn't have the prettiest looking technique, she does have fundamentally sound techinque when she is playing well. She steps in, takes the ball early sometimes, pushes her opponent around, moves in at the right times, and has decent footwork considering she has to adjust to her growing height. She's got good solid groundstrokes, and has a good serve for women's tennis. I don't see how she isn't going to win another slam eventually.

superman1
07-28-2006, 06:27 PM
One of the best serves in the women's game, powerful, consistent groundstrokes, good angles. Movement is subpar and volleys are terrible, both could be improved with time and practice. She'll win another Slam.

Matthew
07-28-2006, 10:28 PM
You are crazy. I would be very surprised if she didn't win another, she is too consistent at the slams not to get one more. I stand by this statement along with the statement that Hewitt gets another, for the same reason.

Dopke
08-18-2006, 12:02 AM
You are crazy. I would be very surprised if she didn't win another, she is too consistent at the slams not to get one more. I stand by this statement along with the statement that Hewitt gets another, for the same reason.

Agreed on Sharapova. But Hewitt, I donno- he needs to lose that on-court attitude :D But I donno haven't seen him play in a while, I just know when he was #1 a few years back I hated his on court antics. -_-;; But thats what makes him hewitt i guess.

tennishack
08-18-2006, 09:19 AM
I just wish she would become a model and go away, or at least get rid of her ever present and impossing father. She won't win until she gets of her father, my prediction

Supernatural_Serve
08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
She's definately a threat into the quarters and semis - so she's in my top 5 list of women who will probably win one or more slams.

She doesn't look like she's retiring anytime soon either.

Exile
08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
She consistent at Wimby the last three years, with both her losses coming to eventual champions.
She made the semis of the Austrailian, and she's only 19 so she can improve.
She could improve her movement and volley, but she will win many more slams before her career is over.

I am tired of hearing the above three statements about sharapova.

First off, a lot of people lost/lose to "eventual champions". This still means people are better than her. That's the whole point to them beating her. If no one else was in the way, of course she would be a champion. But due to the fact that there are women on tour better than her, she can't win. That's like putting the blame on the people that beat her for beating her.
"If it wasn't for ___eventual champion___, she would have won."
Duh, that's the point right? To beat everyone that is put on the other side of that net?

Second, sure, she is young, and she can improve, but WILL she?
She has a lot on her plate and a few constants are holding her back. Not to mention her game of "move the ball on the baseline" and "the net area is off limits" really does hinder her.

Third, she really really needs to add things to her game, things that would and might take a few years to learn and incorporate into her game to make it work properly. Look at roddick, he has nothing. After a couple bad years and game changes, he's still trying to learn how to make a volley and use it in a way that works in his game. He is still hindered and scrambling for answers to patch the huge gaps in his game. He may or may not find them in time. We can only watch and wait.

So it's not can she, but WILL she?
If things stay the same, she won't make it.