PDA

View Full Version : Roddick in Singles and Doubles final

TennisProPaul
07-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Very impressive with his partner Bobby Reynolds

The poor crowd will have to wait for Roddick to have a rest after the Blake final.

The other doubles finalists are Paul Goldstein and Jim Thomas. I say Paul and Jim win the doubles.

Jonny S&V
07-23-2006, 08:12 AM
If Andy and Bobby are on, I'll put my money on them. Jim and Paul are a good doubles team though so it probably won't be easy.

Keifers
07-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Does Roddick serve-and-volley when he's playing dubs? It's hard for me to picture him doing that well, based on the volleys I've seen him hit in singles matches...

Or does he stay back?...

atac
07-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Roddick's volleys look like they're getting a little better. He hit some really good ones against Ginepri, maybe he was lucky?

Max G.
07-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Does Roddick serve-and-volley when he's playing dubs? It's hard for me to picture him doing that well, based on the volleys I've seen him hit in singles matches...

Or does he stay back?...

I would guess that he serves and volleys - and I would also guess that it doesn't matter what he does, since his serve is good enough so that it sets up an easy volley for his partner to get.

Remember - even if Roddick doesn't have that good volleys, to take advantage of Roddick's bad volley, the returner would have to

a) hit the ball crosscourt - if he hits it down the middle or down the line, the netman who is already in position should be the one to get it anyway.
b) hit the ball relatively hard - if the returner just blocks or slices it back, the netman can poach and get it, or Roddick will be able to get it himself. (Of course, if you hit a really sharp angle on the return, that'll do just as well - but it's hard to hit a sharp angle off of Roddick's serve...)
c) hit the ball low. If you give Roddick a high volley, though he probably won't be able to do as much with it as the good volleyers out there, he'll at least be able to hit the ball back crosscourt.

Off of a serve as good as Roddick's, it's doubtful that there are many people out ther that can do that consistently enough to expose Roddick's volley.

(That is, if he serves and volleys at all - I don't know myself.)

tangerine
07-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Highlights of the singles and doubles matches can be found over here:

http://www.rcatennis.com/IUPUIVideo/videoarchive.html

The Roddick/Reynolds vs Huss/Phillips highlights (or, lowlights) are pretty funny. :D

DANMAN
07-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Roddick looked like he had some hands in some of the doubles clips. His volleys actually looked good in many of these highlights.

Lee
07-23-2006, 07:54 PM
yup. Dramatic improvements on Andy's net game. I thought Andy's backhand looks very good, as well. Let's hope he keeps this up for the summer.

shawn1122
07-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Highlights of the singles and doubles matches can be found over here:

http://www.rcatennis.com/IUPUIVideo/videoarchive.html

The Roddick/Reynolds vs Huss/Phillips highlights (or, lowlights) are pretty funny. :D

Can someone help me with this, or offer a direct link? I can only see highlights up to Saturday.

mileslong
07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
roddicks valleys were average. his partner carried him pretty must until he served. his act is so tired *****ing at an umpire for what 2 games? goldstein is the one who really had a gripe...

Cfidave
07-24-2006, 04:52 AM
yup. Dramatic improvements on Andy's net game. I thought Andy's backhand looks very good, as well. Let's hope he keeps this up for the summer.

Net game is still average, at best. His inability to volley probably cost him the match, against Blake. Dumped an easy forehand volley into the net, during the 3ard set tie breaker.

baseliner
07-24-2006, 05:06 AM
Believe Roddick has more ATP Doubles titles in 2006 than singles.

helloworld
07-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Is his career ending up like other singles loser who ended up as doubles player later on ? :confused:

clayman2000
07-24-2006, 07:10 AM
this is in my my opinion the revival of andy roddick 2006...the way i say him play on sat and sun reminded me of roddick in 2003, and 2004. he volleyed well enough for big serve..and used his backhand alot more then that gay slice

tangerine
07-24-2006, 08:26 AM
this is in my my opinion the revival of andy roddick 2006...the way i say him play on sat and sun reminded me of roddick in 2003, and 2004. he volleyed well enough for big serve..and used his backhand alot more then that gay slice
The "gay slice"? Is that like the gay blade? LOL. The gay slice works sometimes. But I agree, after only four days with Connors, Roddick looked like a new man out there--or, more like the old Roddick of 2003-04. Everything was working: the serve, the slice, the movement, the volleys, the baseline rallys, everything....until the TB when he df'd :eek: but that's ok, that was just nerves. He had a lot riding on winning that match. Other than the choke, Andy and James went toe-to-toe the entire match.

It just further proves what I and few others have been saying all along: Roddick's problems are between the ears. He's got the game, he just needs the focus.

This also shuts up the nitwits who keep saying that Roddick needs Gilbert to get to the top. Not true. Not true at all. :cool:

Lee
07-24-2006, 08:45 AM
The "gay slice"? Is that like the gay blade? LOL. The gay slice works sometimes. But I agree, after only four days with Connors, Roddick looked like a new man out there--or, more like the old Roddick of 2003-04. Everything was working: the serve, the slice, the movement, the volleys, the baseline rallys, everything....until the TB when he df'd :eek: but that's ok, that was just nerves. He had a lot riding on winning that match. Other than the choke, Andy and James went toe-to-toe the entire match.

It just further proves what I and few others have been saying all along: Roddick's problems are between the ears. He's got the game, he just needs the focus.

This also shuts up the nitwits who keep saying that Roddick needs Gilbert to get to the top. Not true. Not true at all. :cool:

Those gay slices looked pretty straight to me :-D

ACE of Hearts
07-24-2006, 08:49 AM
I still saw the old Roddick yesterday, his return game sucks.I still think people overrated his forehand, Blake's forehand is better.

tangerine
07-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Those gay slices looked pretty straight to me :-D
Good one! :D

FEDEXP
07-24-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't think a loss to Blake in the Final demonstrates he's got game and it's all "between the ears".

alienhamster
07-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't think a loss to Blake in the Final demonstrates he's got game and it's all "between the ears". Unless you agree with (presumably) your demi-god, Federer, who has said tiebreaks are really all mental. And this is really the only spot where Roddick failed yesterday. (Also some of the break points chances in the 3rd, which are also more about mental focus.) If Roddick had won 1-2 more points in the TB, we'd be talking about his victory over Blake.

It's ridiculous to pretend like confidence isn't part of his problem here. (I don't think it's "all between the ears" with him, but 85-90% of it is.)