PDA

View Full Version : Chat room solution

Swissv2
07-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Ok, I have been to two of the chat rooms created by the TT members (lakoste and nViATi) and both have had moderate success for getting people on there. I would have to say that the chat room lakoste made was easier to use than IRC. Personally I have used IRC for quite a while now (since 1999) and have extensive experience with IRC scripting, bots, channel management, and have been a moderator for multitudes of channels (some having more than 200 people in it at any given time - one time the channel having 800+ people) so my knowledge is there.

I am thinking of making an official chat room with anyone interested. I do not mind paying for a chat solution so long as it is under 6 dollars a month, but would appreciate the splitting up of the cost with someone else if its possible. The more we split up the cost between MATURE chat moderators that can trust each other, the better.

Interested? Let me know. If you want to talk to me directly I am in Lakoste's http://www.freewebs.com/tenniswarehouse OR nViATi's http://www.freewebs.com/talktennis

Lakoste
07-24-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm interested if others are too. I'm still not too keen on the whole moderator issue (hence the no admin in the chat I made), but I guess I can live with it if its people I like;). I'm on vacation right now so its hard to chat with anyone when I have free time with the whole time zone difference.

Is it $6 to host the chat or what? I'm asking because I have a server we can use to host it (I'll have to check my bandwith though) Either way, if can get a couple people, split it, it'll be like the cost of toilet paper

Whats NV's chat like, I cant see it for some reason, I even went to a internet cafe and couldnt see it:confused:

MegacedU
07-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Yeah I used to really like that chat room, but none of my computers will connect to the newer talk-tennis one. I miss you guys!

nViATi
07-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Make sure you have java updated.

MegacedU
07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I do! On both computers actually, and the one at work.

Hartzy
07-24-2006, 02:33 PM
This mind sound odd but....where do you live Swiss?

diredesire
07-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I like the idea of having a TT chat room, and I enjoyed the time spent in the earlier chat. I think what we need is:
-Ease of use
-A good mood/atmosphere
-Some people!

I think the lakoste (non IRC based) did that, although it wasn't as popular as many would hope (i imagine). I think moderating/operators of a channel aren't necessarily needed, but perhaps an opped vote bot (i'm sure you could script one?). With all the diversity we have here, especially world wide, it'd be near impossible to keep things in order through "mods/ops" I think maybe a vote-bot would be useful, though. If someone is being absolutely ridiculous, you could get a majority vote to kick them and or mute them...

I imagine that wouldn't be too hard to implement ;)

The other thing is ease of use, this new "web IRC" chat seems like it could be a nice bridge between two different chat styles, people could use IRC if they wanted, and people who just want an easy access chat room can use the web IRC.

Swissv2
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
I think moderating/operators of a channel aren't necessarily needed

When you get 50+ people in a channel (or just by chance get a rowdy person) they can cause quite a bit of disruption by spamming the channel endlessly or displaying "inappropriate behavior". Also you will get those people who come in with bots and flood the channel, post bad links, viruses, etc.

Over the last 7 years, I have experienced this time and time again. MATURE and reasonable moderators keep the peace, and are not tyrants. But moderators cannot prevent the disruptive people all the time, which is where my bot comes in. It has anti-spam, anti-flood, trivia, hangman, word scramble, anti-advertisement (can block certain inappropriate links, but allow normal links), thread capture (can take the popular threads off of the tt forum and post it in the chat room), and weather (just type in your zip code and get the weather readings for your local area).

At some people's work (mine), IRC does not allow particular ports. I developed a chat room which used open ports to allow IRC usage so I am familiar with the particular servers.

I am currently setting up a *test* IRC chat room that has smileys, name change - etc. I will let you guys know when it is up.

HyperHorse
07-24-2006, 11:13 PM
yaye.... why cant we all just support my IRC room?

scez
07-25-2006, 05:44 AM
Something tells me you guys want a moderator to get rid of me :(