PDA

View Full Version : Getting tickets to the US Open

Discovery660
07-23-2006, 09:06 AM
My wife and I were interested in driving up to Flushing, NY to watch the open . I am just not certain what day is best to go, and how the seating works. We'd like to see some top 10 ranked players play of course. Can you watch any court? Do you have specific courts you have to sit at? What day is best to go?

rasajadad
07-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Go early in the tournament. Later in the first week is good. Get the cheapest ticket possible as that seat only assigns you in Arthur Ashe Stadium. Wander aroung to all the other courts and see a lot of tennis up close. (Don't forget the practice courts way in the back. That's where all the top players hit.)

Fee
07-23-2006, 09:44 AM
On the first 3 days, most of the action is on the outside courts, only the top 3 or 5 play on Ashe. The cheap ticket will get you into Armstrong, or you can buy a reserved seat for Armstrong if there are players there that you really want to see up close. My advice is to check the order of play the night before you go, and buy your ticket online so that it is waiting for you at will call when you get there. The lines the first few days can be BRUTAL.

callitout
07-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Best courts at USO first week.
1.Grandstand--late in the day youll see some 5 set match like this year a possibility would be Gasquet vs say Ferrer. You get so close on that court yet it's still a stadium. Few years ago saw Robredo beat JC Ferrero when Ferrero was top 5 in the world.
2.Court 11 youll see great matches there. Its an outside court but has a decent seating area.
3.I believe its court 4 see Agassi and many of the big boys practicing.
4.Get a grounds pass if possible. Never set foot in AA stadium.
5.Dont scalp. Dont scalp. There is a little known ordinance which makes it a crime to buy a USO ticket anywhere near the grounds. Lots of people selling and lots of undercover cops on the boardwalk.
6.IMO wednesday/thursday are the best days to go. Most of first round mat ches are over, but still lots of great singles on every court.

Supernatural_Serve
07-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Can you watch any court? Do you have specific courts you have to sit at? What day is best to go?

Matches on Arthur Ashe stadium requires a ticket to that stadium for that day or evening session. They are separate tickets. These seats are assigned seats. An Arthur Ashe stadium ticket allows you to see any match on any court for that day/session.

My advice: Don't buy a ticket for Arthur Ashe stadium because most of the seats (the ones above the boxes) are sky high and the court looks like a postage stamp with 2 ants hitting a dark probably green object. The good seats are expensive.

All other tickets (ground pass) are unassigned seats and let you see any match on any court (except Arthur Ashe) for that day/session.

There are reserved seats at both the Grandstand and Armstrong stadiums also. So, that's a separate ticket.

Best Day: I like mid week of each week. Week 1: lots of great matches to watch. The courts are full of top players. Week 2: the doubles gets more interesting, there is more opportunity to watch the remaining players practicing too

I saw Federer and Hrbaty play a 10 game pro set 2 years ago on a side court. They were just hitting, warming up, and before I knew it. They were playing "games" 10 of them. Roger won 6 of them.

Go on a day, that it doesn't rain and you will have a great time.

FEDEXP
07-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Even the players don't like Arthur Ashe; it's a way bigger venue than any of the other slams, though you can't really see the action from the seats up in heaven you can see the NYC skyline.

Seriously, go early, first week, when many players are in action, and it's much less pressured; there's nothing wrong with Armstrong.

Moose Malloy
08-17-2006, 09:39 AM
do grounds passes sell out? according to ticketmaster, none are available for the 1st friday!

is there anyway to get tickets other than ticketmaster?

Jack the Hack
08-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm going to the US Open for the first time this year. My wife and I are going to spend a week in NYC together without the kids in order to recapture the magic. Anyway, I bought cheaper tickets for the day session at Ashe stadium on the first Monday and Tuesday, but plan on spending most of the time wandering around outside courts to find a good match up close. And then, if I can't catch Fed, Roddick, Nalbandian, Agassi, or Nadal on a practice court, at least I'll have a seat to see them inside AA stadium as well.

Check out this thread for more valuable info on NYC and the US Open:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=97443

Jack the Hack
08-17-2006, 10:12 AM
On the first 3 days, most of the action is on the outside courts, only the top 3 or 5 play on Ashe. The cheap ticket will get you into Armstrong, or you can buy a reserved seat for Armstrong if there are players there that you really want to see up close. My advice is to check the order of play the night before you go, and buy your ticket online so that it is waiting for you at will call when you get there. The lines the first few days can be BRUTAL.

Yes, I've heard the lines can be really bad for those without a ticket. By the way, at Ticketmaster, you also have the option to print the ticket out online from your own computer instead of going to will call. (One less line to stand in.)

Lleyton Hewitt
08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
ok...can i ask how much tickets are? for sessions......how many matches are in 1 session. At Wimbledon its like £40 for CEntre court ticket all day and u can watch the outside courts too 3-19.

th41291
08-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Haha I'm Going To The Finals And Semis!! Ashe Courts!

callitout
08-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Here's an obscure law: selling tickets on within 500 feet of the stadium is prohibited: Even if not for profit. So dont sell your extras at the USO plainclothes cops are giving out summons for that.

Best to go Tues-Friday. Lots of great matches. You wont easily get a grounds pass at this stage. So buy a cheap Ashe ticket and never go in.
Grandstand is best court if you dont have a $300 ticket. Otherwise court 11 and 7 are excellent.

tguru
08-17-2006, 06:35 PM
There are no reserved seats in the Grandststand, only lower seats on the west side for people with credentials. Baseline North and Baseline South(top to bottom) in Armstrong were made reserved by the USTA a few years ago. Shame on those people in White Plains, NY. It makes the lower seats in the Grandstand that much more in demand.

Gugafan_Redux
08-18-2006, 05:36 AM
See ya'll there. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. (Sept. 2,3,& 4). Go Andre!

Lleyton Hewitt
08-18-2006, 06:13 AM
andre may not even make it to saturday since he is not being seeded/