PDA

View Full Version : Blake now a top 5 player

sureshs
07-23-2006, 09:39 AM
I had started a thread months ago when he entered the top 10.

Now he is top 5.

Can he go higher? Does he deserve this ranking?

zhan
07-23-2006, 09:45 AM

Now he is top 5.

after the performance against "The Beast" in wimbledon...
he doesnt deserve *****...
top 5 players dont give up when they are on a 2 set to 1 lead and kicking *****

tennisprofl
07-23-2006, 09:46 AM

Now he is top 5.

blake hasnt done particulary well this year in the grand slams. australia was bad, same with RG, and we all remember his meltdown at Wimbledon. blake has overcome a lot, and with a strong showing at the USO this year, his ranking might improve a bit.

tennisprofl
07-23-2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?player=B676

heres a link to his activity this year

sureshs
07-23-2006, 09:47 AM
I think he said he kind of was not there mentally the last 2 sets

tennisprofl
07-23-2006, 09:49 AM
I think he said he kind of was not there mentally the last 2 sets
yes blake was completely out of it. to lose the 4 and 5 set 6-1 6-0...didnt he win like 5 points in the fifth set?

Amirsan
07-23-2006, 09:51 AM
He definitely deserves it and just has to keep going forward. He just needs a different mentality I guess.

tennisprofl
07-23-2006, 09:57 AM
blake will be challenged by roddick today...it will test both players mentality and confidence

Gilgamesh
07-23-2006, 10:52 AM
A lot of players who were once considered "top" are sinking.

Blake has momentum.

Do I think he deserves his high ranking? Sure the guy works hard but he probably wouldn't have cracked the top 5 in the 90s.

helloworld
07-23-2006, 11:03 AM
A lot of players who were once considered "top" are sinking.

Blake has momentum.

Do I think he deserves his high ranking? Sure the guy works hard but he probably wouldn't have cracked the top 5 in the 90s.
Yeah, if it was in the 90s, he would have barely made into the top 10. The field today is horrible. Top players like Hewitt(he's into his baby more than tennis nowadays) or Safin(the mental case..) isn't really playing to their potential anymore. And those new youngsters are just disappointments..... We only have 2 great players in this era, Federer and Nadal. This is for sure the dark age of tennis history...

tangerine
07-23-2006, 11:13 AM

Now he is top 5.

Congrats to James!!! It's great to see another American stepping up. And Roddick is back in the Top Ten now too, thanks to his great run at RCA. So much for American tennis being dead. :cool:

And of course James "deserves" his ranking. He earned it. He's showed results this year. But he really needs to do something about that horrendous five-set match record if he's ever going to win a slam. :(

cash411
07-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Blake know Andy very well and should do well.

BeautyVenus
07-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Roddick barely shaked Blake's hand after the match. Interesting.

sureshs
07-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Roddick barely shaked Blake's hand after the match. Interesting.

They almost hugged. What more do you want? And did you not see them complimenting each other throughout the match?

I know where you want to go with this, but there is no place to go.

alienhamster
07-23-2006, 12:55 PM
I think Blake has problems with 3 of 5-set matches, plain and simple. If he can get over the mental aspect of 5-setters--cause at this point it can't simply be fitness (or can it?)--I think he will definitely make more headway at the slams and climb up the rankings.

But he probably can't get past #3.

punch
07-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I think this is the highest he will peak out, I see him hovering from 5-20 for the next 3-4 years.

unjugon
07-23-2006, 03:10 PM
blake hasnt done particulary well this year in the grand slams. australia was bad, same with RG, and we all remember his meltdown at Wimbledon. blake has overcome a lot, and with a strong showing at the USO this year, his ranking might improve a bit.
He wasn´t expected to beat Almagro and get to 4th round at RG...

RMac
07-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah, if it was in the 90s, he would have barely made into the top 10. The field today is horrible. Top players like Hewitt(he's into his baby more than tennis nowadays) or Safin(the mental case..) isn't really playing to their potential anymore. And those new youngsters are just disappointments..... We only have 2 great players in this era, Federer and Nadal. This is for sure the dark age of tennis history...

What part of the 90's are you talking about? Early 90's I would tend to agree with you, but late 90's? Give me the top 5-10 that you're talking about who would be better than Blake.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 03:43 PM
i still see blake as a streaky player. i dont see him getting to number two or even number three, but who knows. i just dont see the consistency in his game quite yet. i think its still vulnerable. not to mention his inconsistent results (overall) and his inability to win 5 setters. at least he can have the "number five in the world" in his resume. he needs to be less of a mr. nice guy.