PDA

View Full Version : COURIER: WHATHE ****!. (shotspot and umpires)

Max G.
07-23-2006, 11:31 AM
So, did I just hear this right.

The chair umpire makes an overrule.

And Jim Courier says that "the umpire should stay out of it and let the players decide whether to challenge or not".

That's just sick. The whole point of the umpires is to make the calls as accurate as possible. If it's a clearly wrong call, then it should be overruled.

(Note that Blake didn't even challenge the overrule, despite it the fact that it would have been a doublefault on a very important point, and challenges don't carry over between sets. )

Saito
07-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Ok, now I think shot spot isn't a bad idea, but hearing that makes me a bit upset. Just because there are challenges now doesn't mean that umpire should do less of their job. Courier really said something idiotic like that? Amazing.....

sureshs
07-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes he did. I was surprised too.

alienhamster
07-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah, that was the only thing I was like "WHA?" about today. Otherwise, I think Courier should be in the booth for every single match aired on TV. He's THE best analyst we've got in the states, IMO. He's so, so, so good on picking a match apart, talking about sometimes very subtle strategic things players are or could be doing.

But yeah, the chair needs to honestly call what they see when they're 100% certain. Especially since this HAwkeye thing isn't an actual replay, it shouldn't be treated as gospel.

I think Courier just really hates the chair as a general concept; he was speaking less as an analyst and more as an "I've been screwed in the past by you guys" pro player.

ACE of Hearts
07-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I thought Courier did a bad job.He also said a couple of things which bothered me, he said if Roddick wins, he would be the number 1 player as an american, i disagree, i thought Blake would stay number 1 even if he loss.I thought he was all over Roddick's u know what.Also the thing about Roddick cheating, let him catch a 120 miles per hour serve down the T!

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
07-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Not exactly surprised Courier said something like that. But then on "live" tv commentating one can always say something that doesn't sound as good as it might have when you'd thought it through then posted a reply to a forum board for example.

Was correct when saying Courier was one of the best commentators for the US. I think he is quite capable, but he is so very pro-American most times that he denigrates players from other countries often no matter how good they are playing. He makes their great points splayed seem only "mistakes" or a point that an American let slip. Its difficult to listen to him when an American player is losing. His comments are so condescending to players from other countries.

punch
07-23-2006, 12:56 PM
he said if Roddick wins, he would be the number 1 player as an american, i disagree,

No...he said that if Roddick were to win the match, he would still be behind Blake in the rankings but in the clubhouse and eyes of other players Roddick would be seen as the #1 American.

cricri
07-23-2006, 01:09 PM
So that was Courier. I was wondering who the guy who seemed so in love with Andy Roddick was.

skip1969
07-23-2006, 01:18 PM
So that was Courier. I was wondering who the guy who seemed so in love with Andy Roddick was.
lol. totally. it's gotta suck for him to have TWO americans on court at the same time, cos he won't know whose *** to kiss more. what a muppet.

typical of him to be crying about the umpire and trying to push the shot spot down our throats, as if he's got stock in the company or something. well, he's in the booth now so if he wants to keep his job, i guess he has to keep pitching the company line. i don't know why he was moaning about the ump and how the players weren't challenging at all, since apparently the linespeople and the chair seemed totally in control of the match. it must burn him up when the people on court are doing their jobs, and he can't b*tch and moan about bad calls and keep pushing the new "technology" that is gonna save our sport.

Roforot
07-23-2006, 04:39 PM
If we have a challenge system in place, then does it not make the umpire's overrule irrelevant? Before shotspot there was even some sort of unwritten rule that they only overruled shots on their side! Go shotspot and challenges.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 04:52 PM
why does everyone wanna kiss roddick's ***, including courier. he loses too much (kinda looks like a one-slam wonder to me) and i dont see the cash cow potential anymore since he is such a disappointment.

jjk20
07-23-2006, 05:14 PM
^courier is lookin for a new boyfriend, that's why

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 05:19 PM
maybe courier already landed the deal to commentate on the USO series. he can say whatever the hell he wants. sadly for viewers, we have to deal with it or learn how to watch a tennis match on mute. sux.

junelay
07-23-2006, 05:24 PM
I was like "wtf, umpire there is for a reason!"

when courier made that stupid comment.

I think he was bit over the top then

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I was like "wtf, umpire there is for a reason!"

when courier made that stupid comment.

I think he was bit over the top then

did you forget the "roddick is only 60-70% peak, and federer and nadal have reached their peak" comment? he has been an okay commentator in the past so i guess a bad day can be forgotten... but if i have to deal with that all summer, ill go crazy.

Freedom
07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Who was the other guy commenting with Courier?

I tuned in at the beginning of the second set. I had no idea it was Courier until now!

Jonny S&V
07-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Who was the other guy commenting with Courier?

I tuned in at the beginning of the second set. I had no idea it was Courier until now!
Ted Robinson. Courier was being Courier, he never really said anything during his matches and he was screwed over a lot. He was "traumatized" by the line judges.:shock:

skip1969
07-23-2006, 07:09 PM
well if that's the case, jonny, then courier should seek the proper psychiatric help. and stop trying to heal himself by blabbing all over the airwaves. hehe

stan smith
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
ready, fire, aim

Return_Ace
07-24-2006, 01:29 PM
that's why federer opposed the spotshot in tournaments, he said that with it active, umpires would slack off a little bit and say it was the players responsibility to make calls.

arosen
07-24-2006, 04:00 PM
that's why federer opposed the spotshot in tournaments, he said that with it active, umpires would slack off a little bit and say it was the players responsibility to make calls.

Yep, makes sense, the burden would shift to the players. Like they don't have their hands full already. Better solution needs to be found.

skip1969
07-24-2006, 04:20 PM
exaaaaaactly. the players shouldn't have anything to do with making calls. makes no sense whatsoever. but now the atp has their little gimmick to get the players (and the fans) to get involved in making calls and adding "drama" (ha) so i suppose we're stuck with it.

i'm not some old fashioned purist or anything, but it's a half-baked plan, in my view.