PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with Courier's commentating?

RMac
07-23-2006, 04:25 PM
I was definately impressed with Jim Courier's color commentating the last two days at the RCA. He was funny at some times and provided really insightful stuff the other times.

Anyone else feel like he his more than qualified to join NBC's top team or at the very least, ESPN's crew? We need to hear more of this guy and a lot less of Brad Gilbert.

dmastous
07-23-2006, 04:31 PM
He said a couple things that made me shake my head. But if you talk for two hours I guess you'd end up saying something that will make everyone shake their head or roll their eyes.
All in all, I think he is definatly ready for the big stage and wish he was already there.

skip1969
07-23-2006, 04:37 PM
i hardly think making it to the tennis crew of nbc or espn is any great achievement. ask brad gilbert. a monkey could probably be more insightful (or at least more entertaining).

still, courier is no better or worse than the others. be even better if he wasn't kissing *ss so much. he's so paritsan sometimes, it's embarrassing.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 04:40 PM
he said that roddick is at 60-70% playing level and federer and nadal were playing at their ultimate peak. that was a bunch of bull. he is too pro-american. also, he was too pro-roddick. he couldnt accept blake at the USA #1.

RMac
07-23-2006, 04:47 PM
He's too pro-American? O.K. lets consider the two matches he did this week. Both of them had Americans playing each other. What do you want him to do, fill the broadcast talking about players who aren't playing in that match?

I do agree with you that he slipped when he said Roddick was only fullfilling 60-70% of his talent level, but that hardly qualifies your generalization that he is too pro-American.

skip1969
07-23-2006, 04:53 PM
i ain't just talkin about the two matches this week. the guy has been on air before, and he tends to show his cards a little too much to be the impartial analyst. (in my view)

plus, i don't know where he pulled that little nugget today when he said that roddick is still considered the no #1 american (over blake) by the guys in the locker room. i'm not sure who he polled to get that little theory of his off the ground, but the way roddick has played these last few months, (versus how blake has improved) i find that hard to swallow.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 05:08 PM
He's too pro-American? O.K. lets consider the two matches he did this week. Both of them had Americans playing each other. What do you want him to do, fill the broadcast talking about players who aren't playing in that match?

I do agree with you that he slipped when he said Roddick was only fullfilling 60-70% of his talent level, but that hardly qualifies your generalization that he is too pro-American.

well i guess i cant say that he is "too pro-american" since he doesnt recognize blake as the top american and he barely (if even) talked about ginepri, dent, fish, or jenkins----though he complained that the media never recognizes them. BS!

Chopin
07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Jim Courier’s comment are occasionally good but mostly pretty boring. Throughout much of the match today he kept babbling about results from previous matches/overarching strategy and ignored the actual points going on. Some of his comments were pretty crazy too. Roddick has reached only 60 percent of his potential but Federer and Nadal can’t improve anymore...Nadal can’t improve? Huh? Nadal, who is younger, fitter, hungrier and more talented than Roddick can't imrpove? His reaching the finals of Wimbledon isn't an improvement? Courir's hope for the future of American tennis sometimes blinds him to reality. Give me Cliff Drisdale, P-Mac and Brad Gilbert anyday. Or the usual Tennis Channel announcers (not sure their names--I don't mean Jimmy Arias and the other guy) but they actually shut up during the points and don’t make extreme totally off-base comments.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Jim Courierís comment are occasionally good but mostly pretty boring. Throughout much of the match today he kept babbling about results from previous matches/overarching strategy and ignored the actual points going on. Some of his comments were pretty crazy too. Roddick has reached only 60 percent of his potential but Federer and Nadal canít improve anymore...Nadal canít improve? Huh? Nadal, who is younger, fitter, hungrier and more talented than Roddick can't imrpove? His reaching the finals of Wimbledon isn't an improvement? Courir's hope for the future of American tennis sometimes blinds him to reality. Give me Cliff Drisdale, P-Mac and Brad Gilbert anyday. Or the usual Tennis Channel announcers (not sure their names--I don't mean Jimmy Arias and the other guy) but they actually shut up during the points and donít make extreme totally off-base comments.

ditto. the british commentators for the TTC during monte carlo, hamburg, and rome are the best... very neutral, very brainy, and no-nonsense, and most importantly---know how to STFU.

Mr.Federer
07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
meh...he was not bad I guess, just made some comments that made me go " what the hell?"... such as "James Blake took small steps to become where he is now, and that is winning tournaments....or something like that. And the comment where he says that the chair umpires should not overrule calls...

DX_Psycho
07-23-2006, 06:36 PM
french comentators are funny. they always say "ALLEZ!" when a french person is having ah *** rally. always root for the frenchies. it's funny.

Richie Rich
07-23-2006, 06:47 PM
you could do a lot worse than Courier. Ever hear Bud Collins commentate a match? anyway, Courier is better than Gilbert any day.

Volly master
07-23-2006, 06:50 PM
true

Gilbert would always start a sentence, "you know, when i was coaching andre agassi...."

EVERY FREAKEN TIME.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 06:56 PM
you could do a lot worse than Courier. Ever hear Bud Collins commentate a match? anyway, Courier is better than Gilbert any day.

bud collins is so annoying. him and dick need to go.

skip1969
07-23-2006, 07:19 PM
bud collins is so annoying. him and dick need to go.
hehe. even my roommate (who doesn't watch a lot of tennis) said to me, "isn't bud collins dead yet? or do they wake him up from his kryogenic sleep and thaw him out for the tournaments."

bud collins is a true hall of famer . . . in the annoying broadcasters hall of fame. don't worry brad, we're saving a special spot . . . just for you.

Max G.
07-23-2006, 08:25 PM
plus, i don't know where he pulled that little nugget today when he said that roddick is still considered the no #1 american (over blake) by the guys in the locker room..

Um, he said some stupid things today, but that wasn't one of them...

...what he said was "Blake needs to win today, because if Roddick wins, then Roddick will be considered the #1 American by the guys in the locker room even if Blake is higher ranked."

Now, that's also debatable, since Blake did have a win over Roddick earlier this season, but it's a much more reasonable thing to say.

JohnS
07-24-2006, 09:55 AM
My favorite has to be cliff drysdale. He is Hilarious IMO. He sometimes act like he's never seen tennis before or surprised that safin or federer has hit a flat-out-winner.

Brad Gilbert can get a little annoying, but he does have some good points and can be very entertaining. His analysis on what type of player (one who can hit from both wings and not have a big serve) and beat federer was well done.

Pat McEnroe is good, but I don't like the comments he usually makes. He's too pro-american tennis.

John McEnroe is very good, but he can get too pro-american too.

Mary Carillilo makes a couple good points but needs to shut her mouth because she convinces herself that she is smart

Mal Washington is very good. He makes his point and that's it.

Jim courier is good. I personally havent heard too much from him so i cant say.

Ted Robinson is a tool. Cliff may act like he has seen tennis before, Ted seems like he doenst know what tennis is; always asking J. McEnroe for advice.

Dick Enberg needs to just stop commentating tennis and go back to his usual football. I sick of hearing his mouth everytime im trying to watch a basketball game, tennis match, hockey, soccer, or anything else. JUST SHUT UP!!!

...IMO :mrgreen:

JohnS
07-24-2006, 09:57 AM
And Todd Martin has made a very good analysis on Pete Sampras when Sampras was playing agassi in that 4 tie-breaker USO match with no breaks. He should commentate more often.

Mr.Federer
07-24-2006, 10:22 AM
french comentators are funny. they always say "ALLEZ!" when a french person is having ah *** rally. always root for the frenchies. it's funny.

Like if the american commentators are any different:rolleyes: ...

stan smith
07-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Jim Courier - "Ready, Fire, Aim tennis"

this line had me burst out in laughter and later on in the match, ted robinson made fun of him for that line.

I don't think Jim courier is better than anyone else in the booth. Tennis is such a hard sport to commentate and the problem for most of us is that we have heard all the stuff before.

Personally, I would like to hear Brad Gilbert and John Mcenroe commentate together.

35ft6
07-24-2006, 01:21 PM
He's terrible. And he spent about 5 minutes during the Blake/Mahut match talking dreamily about how handsome Blake is. It was very bizarre. It's one thing for somebody to say "he's a handsome chap, eh?" while Safin towels off his face, quite another for a commentator to keep going on and on about it for 5 minutes. Freak.

Tchocky
07-24-2006, 01:24 PM
I was definately impressed with Jim Courier's color commentating the last two days at the RCA. He was funny at some times and provided really insightful stuff the other times.

Anyone else feel like he his more than qualified to join NBC's top team or at the very least, ESPN's crew? We need to hear more of this guy and a lot less of Brad Gilbert.

"color commentating" or "colorful commentating". Courier does a pretty good job commentating. He is articulate and thinks about what he says. Gilbert is more inclined just to blurt out anything that crosses his mind.

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 01:44 PM
He talked too much, and some of them were useless - sometimes you hear him talking only, the other guy couldn't get in. I actually think he went backwards in his commentating compared to a few years ago where he used to stick to the tennis match at hand.

The comment about 3 of 4 semifinalists are from US, thus US tennis wasn't as bad as everyone thought is ridiculous. How can a tournament this small to justify the bad results in first 3 slams this year?

sureshs
07-24-2006, 01:54 PM
The comment about 3 of 4 semifinalists are from US, thus US tennis wasn't as bad as everyone thought is ridiculous. How can a tournament this small to justify the bad results in first 3 slams this year?

What else can he say? I don't think NBC and the sponsors would like him to say negative stuff about Andy or James.

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 01:59 PM
What else can he say? I don't think NBC and the sponsors would like him to say negative stuff about Andy or James.

Say it once, and stop it - he doesn't have to repeat it again and again. Just talk about the match which was a very good match.

sureshs
07-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Say it once, and stop it - he doesn't have to repeat it again and again. Just talk about the match which was a very good match.

Agreed.

I think the big shots are very concerned about the attendance and tv viewership of the US open series this year because of the absence of US stars at the top levels. Jim maybe doing his best to ensure that viewers don't stay away from Toronto and Cincy by concluding that no US player will even be in the semifinals.

stormholloway
07-24-2006, 02:41 PM
I like Chris what's his name that commentated with Gilbert throughout Wimbledon. Gilbert would say something stupid and Chris (?) would call him on it and was quite a clever guy throughout the tournament. I'd like to see more of those two.

I think it takes chemistry of two people to make it good.

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Agreed.

I think the big shots are very concerned about the attendance and tv viewership of the US open series this year because of the absence of US stars at the top levels. Jim maybe doing his best to ensure that viewers don't stay away from Toronto and Cincy by concluding that no US player will even be in the semifinals.

That's the problem with commentating. If the commentator worries about other things too much, it detracted his attention from the match. The match was very good, but in the first two sets, Courier kept on and on other things rather than the match itself. He made the match seemingly not close in the first two sets because he wasn't focusing on the match. That's the problem with him as the commentator.

skip1969
07-24-2006, 02:58 PM
exactly. it's that whenever sports are televised in america, every network has three or four people commenting on the game, and every little story surrounding it. they sautrate the coverage with people talking, under the impression (misguided as it may be) that more is better. so you have people in the studio, someone on the sidelines, someone in the crowd . . . someone in the friggin parking lot. they'd have someone in the lockerooms while the guys showered if they could.

anyway, the point is that they don't know the beauty of a little silence, and the whole concept of less is more. and now american television audiences are trained to expect the constant drone of "analysts" and "experts" talking. so sometimes, the actual activity on the field of play takes a back seat to the banter.

guernica1
07-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Chris Fowler from ESPN is actually quite good in my opinion. even though his tennis background isn't really there he is knowledgable and respectful of all sports. His best quality is knowing when to call someone out, e.g. Brad Gilbert and he's usually pretty funny doing it.

Objective Danny
07-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Jim Courier is solid. He bring an interesting perspective to the match. I'd give him a Grade of B+.

It's obvious Gilbert is a bit full of himself but he knows tennis. He's very knowledgeable and is smooth in the both.

Old School Dick Enberg has the best catch phrase in sports. . . Oh My!

RMac
07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Jim Courier is solid. He bring an interesting perspective to the match. I'd give him a Grade of B+.

It's obvious Gilbert is a bit full of himself but he knows tennis. He's very knowledgeable and is smooth in the both.

Old School Dick Enberg has the best catch phrase in sports. . . Oh My!

Gilbert, smooth in the booth?!?!?! Are you talking about the same Brad Gilbert who has the journalism skills of my 10 year old sister?

The man knows tennis, no one is disputing that. But he just can't seem to communicate those insights and observations to the viewer in a coherent manner. It's like his brain is racing way faster than his mouth can move.

As for Courier, I'm willing to hold off on building my shrine to him until I hear him during a match that isn't all-American. I confess that this weekend was the first time I had heard him commentate and some posters have said that he is almost unbearably pro-American in most situations. I guess I was just so happy to hear someone other than BG and P-Mac. (You have to admit, he is the best color guy on any major American network right now)

BeautyVenus
07-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Jim Courier needs to stop talking about how attractive certain male tennis players are and just talk about the tennis. Courier kept on bringing up the topic if whether James Blake was single or not. Courier's crush on James Blake was just a bit too obvious. It was the same thing at the Australian Open when he was all over Federer that Tommy Haas commented during his press conference he thought Courier needs to "take his tongue from Federer's *** he's in love with him."

stormholloway
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Chris Fowler, that's it. He and Gilbert make a good team. Gilbert knows tennis but is kind of a bozo.

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
exactly. it's that whenever sports are televised in america, every network has three or four people commenting on the game, and every little story surrounding it. they sautrate the coverage with people talking, under the impression (misguided as it may be) that more is better. so you have people in the studio, someone on the sidelines, someone in the crowd . . . someone in the friggin parking lot. they'd have someone in the lockerooms while the guys showered if they could.

anyway, the point is that they don't know the beauty of a little silence, and the whole concept of less is more. and now american television audiences are trained to expect the constant drone of "analysts" and "experts" talking. so sometimes, the actual activity on the field of play takes a back seat to the banter.

I agree with you completely. I think in US they try to copy team sports like baseball and football, but forget tennis is individual sports, doesn't have the grand scale of baseball, basketball, and football. Golf coverage in US is much better, they focus on the game, talk quietly, or don't talk when someone is putting.

It's much more enjoyable to watch tennis on Australia TV and British TV. It's just my experience.

People should realize tennis will never be like baseball, basketball, and football. Keep it tennis, distinguish with other sports rather than make it like other sports.

I like US Open series and current challenge system. Those are good changes. I don't like the circus atomsphere at US Open, loud music during change over. Remember, tennis stadium isn't as big as baseball and football field, things work there doesn't mean it would work at tennis stadium. Learn from Australia Open and Wimbledon, tennis was the focus there rather than all side shows.

mctennis
07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Do any of them HAVE to actually talk that much? I turn the volume down on the games a lot of the times. I could care less what they had for dinner that night before or what they said in the locker room. I have one DVD Wimbledon final where the channel that they used didn't say very much at all. It was one of the most enjoyable matches I had ever watched. i think all sport announcers feel like if the mike is on they have to talk and be witty or funny. Some of the tennis announcers really aren't that smart, funny, witty or insightful. IMO.

ruxxx
07-25-2006, 02:24 PM
As soon as Collins says "Fingers..." (and he always says it) I grab the remote.

ruxxx
07-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Many times I've listened to Jim and thought, "He sees things" or "He's smart."