PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Football Fans-Who wins the Premiership this year?

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Who will win the English Premiership this year? I say look out for Arsenal and Liverpool. Chelsea too many stars. Man U, too many injuries and controversy. Who else? Spurs? Boro? Everton w/Andy Johnson?

goober
07-23-2006, 04:52 PM
You are from Texas and you follow English Soccer instead of American football? You must be a transplant.

I'll take Seattle SeaHawks for the NFC and Denver for the AFC :D

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 04:57 PM
You are from Texas and you follow English Soccer instead of American football? You must be a transplant.

I'll take Seattle SeaHawks for the NFC and Denver for the AFC :D
Actually from Kentucky originally. Played college tennis with a Spaniard who got me into soccer. I like American football as well, Cowboys vs Bengals, by the way in my SB. Soccer just suits me better. You know the games are going to last about 90 mins. and you can see the build-up to great plays. It soothes me to watch it.

oscar_2424
07-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Newcastle United!!

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Newcastle United!!
Can Shay Given cover up for that defense enough? Why do you guys not get rid of Boumsong?

oscar_2424
07-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Newcastle has Solano that's all they need:)

Feņa14
07-23-2006, 05:28 PM
I'll give you two guesses who I'm going for ;)

They are just going to be too strong again this year, I can't see that any team has improved enough to come close.

With the arrival of Shevchenko and Ballack and Ashley Cole looks like he is on his way leads me to believe that Chelsea will be even more dominant this year.

My team who I think will do well is Tottenham, I feel Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool will be the teams of next season. Arsenal and Man Utd will be there and there abouts as usual but I feel the way Tottenham played last year and Liverpools new signings look like they could make the team more complete.

One thing that you can be sure of, it's going to be another rollercoaster!

Lleyton Hewitt
07-23-2006, 05:32 PM
MAN UTD!!!!!! We have rooney ronaldo heinze ferdinand scholes i back. we will get a good centre mid this season and maybe a striker if ruud goes. super sub is back also. SHEVCHENKO KALOU BALLACK....what are them to the premiership none of them will keep up with the fast tempo will take a season to settle in with the big boys

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 05:38 PM
I'll give you two guesses who I'm going for ;)

They are just going to be too strong again this year, I can't see that any team has improved enough to come close.

With the arrival of Shevchenko and Ballack and Ashley Cole looks like he is on his way leads me to believe that Chelsea will be even more dominant this year.

My team who I think will do well is Tottenham, I feel Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool will be the teams of next season. Arsenal and Man Utd will be there and there abouts as usual but I feel the way Tottenham played last year and Liverpools new signings look like they could make the team more complete.

One thing that you can be sure of, it's going to be another rollercoaster!
You don't think there are too many stars too keep happy? Maybe they are just too strong right now.I'm a Boro fan. Just concerned with Southgate as manager. Love the Yak though.

Feņa14
07-23-2006, 05:58 PM
You don't think there are too many stars too keep happy? Maybe they are just too strong right now.I'm a Boro fan. Just concerned with Southgate as manager. Love the Yak though.

True, it could be difficult but the team spirit that Mourinho brings is fantastic. They want to play for him and the players all appear to get on well and respect each other. Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem.

I have great respect for Boro, the way most of their players are local boys is brilliant. I also went to the Boro Chelsea game last year where they did us 3-0 which wasn't too good but the fans were excellent, they weren't violent but they did enjoy reminding us of the score on regular occasions in a light hearted way. Even on the way to the game they were great socially and were respecting Chelsea and giving them recognition unlike fans from other teams!

Look forward to going up again this year, hopefully to get some revenge! ;)

Phil
07-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Steelers, of course.

chrisplchs
07-23-2006, 06:00 PM
wtf.. football is football.. you know the sport where you can use your hands.. this thread needs to be retitled soccer or some crap like that

Panthers baby

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Being an American and wanting to learn more about the traditions in the league, Are there any good websites where I can learn about the different songs the teams' fans sing, their history coming into the league, etc. that you would recommend? All I get are the feeds on a soccer channel here that they use from England. They never really give us much on the history or traditions of the league, just some old matches sometimes.

tennis_nerd22
07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
well im going for the gunners, i dont know if they can pull it off, but im going for them.

now about who i actually think will win ;)... liverpool or man u. NOT chelsea :)

diegaa
07-23-2006, 06:17 PM
wtf.. football is football.. you know the sport where you can use your hands.. this thread needs to be retitled soccer or some crap like that

Panthers baby

I think you need to be a little less self-centered. You know that itīs called football all around the globe and not "soccer", dont you? go and take a shower of humbleness.

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I think you need to be a little less self-centered. You know that itīs called football all around the globe and not "soccer", dont you? go and take a shower of humbleness.
Right on brother.

Feņa14
07-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Being an American and wanting to learn more about the traditions in the league, Are there any good websites where I can learn about the different songs the teams' fans sing, their history coming into the league, etc. that you would recommend? All I get are the feeds on a soccer channel here that they use from England. They never really give us much on the history or traditions of the league, just some old matches sometimes.

I think Wikipedia is pretty useful, it gives some straight forward info that is easy to look through. I'm sure you will find everything you need on there.

As for songs, well just do a search for a teams name and song after the team. You can usually find what your after from that, I searched for Chelsea songs and got this:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/maarten.geluk/songs/chelsea.html

All the songs on there are accurate so you should be ok with just general searches for songs.

oscar_2424
07-23-2006, 07:29 PM

Panthers baby
calling the sport where you use your hands football has no sense,
there is only one football or futbol and the world cup is held every 4 years

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 07:30 PM
thanks a ton.

archangelkc
07-23-2006, 07:31 PM
pantherers vs.chiefs!!

oscar_2424
07-23-2006, 07:38 PM
"American Football was invented arround 1876 by a man by the name of Walter Camp. He got the idea from William Ebb Ellis who was playing a game of soccer when he picked up the ball and started to run with it, therefore breaking the rules and giving Camp the idea for the game. "

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 07:39 PM
pantherers vs.chiefs!!
Gotta love these people:rolleyes:. Try to have a little footy discussion and we get this.

Phil
07-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Pemier is garbage...one of three teams will win it-MU, Chelsea or Arsenal. Liverpool, if it's lucky, will come in third or fourth. The FA needs a salary cap...otherwise, it'll be the same teams winning it every year. Ridiculous to even have a discussion on "Who will win the Premier", unless you state, upfront, what I did-that it's down to three teams.

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Pemier is garbage...one of three teams will win it-MU, Chelsea or Arsenal. Liverpool, if it's lucky, will come in third or fourth. The FA needs a salary cap...otherwise, it'll be the same teams winning it every year. Ridiculous to even have a discussion on "Who will win the Premier", unless you state, upfront, what I did-that it's down to three teams.
Name a top flight league in football(soccer) where it doesn't come down to 3 or 4 teams. Salary cap waters down everything in a sport IMO. In soccer the English league is probably the most even compared to other leagues in Europe. I can go down a list of teams in every league to prove this, but don't want to take the time. Teams like Everton, Tottenham, Newcastle, all can play well enough to win the league. We know Chelsea is the favorite, but who knows. You still follow tennis when you know good and well Federer is probably going to win the tournament with only Nadal and very few others to challenge.

Phil
07-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Name a top flight league in football(soccer) where it doesn't come down to 3 or 4 teams. Salary cap waters down everything in a sport IMO. In soccer the English league is probably the most even compared to other leagues in Europe. I can go down a list of teams in every league to prove this, but don't want to take the time. Teams like Everton, Tottenham, Newcastle, all can play well enough to win the league. We know Chelsea is the favorite, but who knows. You still follow tennis when you know good and well Federer is probably going to win the tournament with only Nadal and very few others to challenge.

Comparing tennis with a team sport like soccer is absurd-you should think these things through before you write them down.

While tennis is going through a period where two players are completely dominating, that has nothing to do with MONEY. These guys dominate because they are the BEST. That will not last forever-someone else will come along to unseat them, and it won't have anything to do with money. Chelsea/MU/Arsenal win it every year because they can afford to BUY a larger number of talented players. The key to their success, then is MONEY and ONLY money.

"Watering down" the league is PRECISELY why there should be a salaray cap-in our country, we call it "PARITY", when all teams, or most at least, have a decent chance to do well from the very start. Eventually, salaries will far exceed profits and the system you have will collapse. Or it won't. The English football fans seem stupid enough to get taken year after year and pay the ridiculous ticket prices that rise every year.

Feņa14
07-23-2006, 08:21 PM

Good point, I can understand Phil saying it's boring when you have only 3 teams who can realistically win. In Italy it used to be Juventus, Inter and AC Milan. In Spain it's Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Back in the mid 1990's it was Man Utd who were expected to win every year and this was the case with the exception of Blackburn winning in 1995 that was a mini surprise. Now you have 3 teams going head to head which is a nice number, especially when you have teams like Liverpool, Tottenham and Newcastle who provide a nice second tier of teams. Sport always has the big names who are expected to win like Federer and Nadal, I feel the Premiership has a better quality of competition than the ATP. For instance, Chelsea losing to Newcastle wouldn't be thought of as a major shock but Federer losing to Davydenko would.

There will be a fair few teams going in to this season who feel like they can win some silverware.

diegaa
07-23-2006, 08:39 PM
For instance, Chelsea losing to Newcastle wouldn't be thought of as a major shock but Federer losing to Davydenko would.

There will be a fair few teams going in to this season who feel like they can win some silverware.

Agreed. Thats why football is so nice and the most poular sport out there.Any team in a league can beat any other, no matter how good it is. The thing is that in year long league, the "common sense" eventually prevails and the big teams end winning.
As for the comparison with tennis, surprises are more common in football, of course, as there are more variables in stake.

maynardsson55
07-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Comparing tennis with a team sport like soccer is absurd-you should think these things through before you write them down.

While tennis is going through a period where two players are completely dominating, that has nothing to do with MONEY. These guys dominate because they are the BEST. That will not last forever-someone else will come along to unseat them, and it won't have anything to do with money. Chelsea/MU/Arsenal win it every year because they can afford to BUY a larger number of talented players. The key to their success, then is MONEY and ONLY money.

"Watering down" the league is PRECISELY why there should be a salaray cap-in our country, we call it "PARITY", when all teams, or most at least, have a decent chance to do well from the very start. Eventually, salaries will far exceed profits and the system you have will collapse. Or it won't. The English football fans seem stupid enough to get taken year after year and pay the ridiculous ticket prices that rise every year.
Fun to get put down on every post here:rolleyes:. My other friends who enjoy soccer here may have an issue with you calling English football fans stupid.I am not nearly as POed as you are about whatever so I'll be civil. Some of us would say that the whole reason we watch a lot of sports is to see David slay Goliath. It is not always about championships. My point was to compare tennis NOW with soccer NOW. Things change, even though sometimes the change takes more than one year. But right now I was trying to say that watching a tennis match in a tournament was similar to watching soccer at this point in time. Two people or a few teams are dominating, and we still tune in. Also, FYI, I don't see American sports leagues ticket prices or player salaries going down either.
I always think things through, I'm just not as articulate as you are.

Phil
07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Fun to get put down on every post here:rolleyes:. My other friends who enjoy soccer here may have an issue with you calling English football fans stupid.I am not nearly as POed as you are about whatever so I'll be civil. Some of us would say that the whole reason we watch a lot of sports is to see David slay Goliath. It is not always about championships. My point was to compare tennis NOW with soccer NOW. Things change, even though sometimes the change takes more than one year. But right now I was trying to say that watching a tennis match in a tournament was similar to watching soccer at this point in time. Two people or a few teams are dominating, and we still tune in. Also, FYI, I don't see American sports leagues ticket prices or player salaries going down either.
I always think things through, I'm just not as articulate as you are.

Well, we weren't TALKING specifically about American sports leagues here, so why even bring it up? But since you mention it, hockey and football salaries are STABLE (because each sport has a salary cap). Basketball and baseball salaries are, like Premier League salaries, going through the roof and ticket prices have risen proportionately, but...not as much as they have with the big UK teams.

I would lump basketball fans who are willing to pay $150 for a seat located partially behind a pillar, every bit as dumb as English football fans who will pay outrageous prices for lousy seats. You can still actually find a "deal" in some baseball parks, though.

Either way, in either country, as long as the league owners know they can depend on gullible, uncomplaining and dumb fans to pay ever higher ticket prices, they'll go on buying players at exhorbitant cost. As in most cases, it's in the hands of the people, and, as in most cases, they do nothing.

Dedans Penthouse
07-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Fun to get put down on every post here:rolleyes:. My other friends who enjoy soccer here may have an issue with you calling English football fans stupid.Here! Here! I agree; English football fans are NOT stupid.

They're drunk.

;-)

Feņa14
07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Here! Here! I agree; English football fans are NOT stupid.

They're drunk.

;-)

Are you trying to say we have a low alcohol tolerance?

It's more the fact that English fans enjoy copious amounts in such a short space of time, plus the long journey to matches makes us APPEAR like we may be slightly intoxicated .. looks can be deceiving my friend.

It's just for show, really we are all discussing the ins and outs of the British Political system. We football fans are more cultured than you would give us credit for! ;)

crosscourt
07-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Well, you'd have to be very "drunk" to think that anyone other than Chelsea might win the Premiership this year.

The real questions are who will get second, third and fourth, and how long Roeder will last at Newcastle.

vkartikv
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
The team from The town that makes the best ale in the world - Newcastle Utd.

Feņa14
07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
The team from The town that makes the best ale in the world - Newcastle Utd.

Newcastle Brown Ale is champion i'll give you that. Although Spitfire is amazing and that's in Kent, I suppose Charlton would be closest to that but I don't think they will be fighting for Europe come the end of next season lol.

tennis_nerd22
07-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Gotta love these people:. Try to have a little footy discussion and we get this.

well come on man its american aint it :D haha jk... at least they have the MLS.

my dad used to watch matches when he was studying in england, he said they were great. i think he was watching during like frank lampard's dad's time or john terry's dad's time... someone who is now a good player in the EPL's dad :rolleyes:

ive always wanted to go to england to watch a soccer (*i mean football...*) match, arsenal vs man u babe :D

maynardsson55
07-24-2006, 07:50 PM
I think MLS is getting better,but still a joke. What do you guys in europe think about the American players like McBride at Fulham and Reyna at Man City. Do they get respect at all. I know Friedel at Blackburn gets a good amount of respect, and Keller when he was in England, but we sort of have a decent amount of talent at that position. Please don't bring up Donovan, I hate him too. Fraud.

bismark
07-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Liverpool Liverpool Liverpool !!!

diegaa
07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
The premier is the most well-played league in the planet.
Having said that, you will not find most passion than in "Copa Libertadores de America". The players get in the field with a knife between their teeth.

malakas
07-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Who will win the English Premiership this year? I say look out for Arsenal and Liverpool. Chelsea too many stars. Man U, too many injuries and controversy. Who else? Spurs? Boro? Everton w/Andy Johnson?

I really don't care about Premiership,but I think that Mourinhio will do his...miracle :rolleyes: again.Chelsea will most probably win the championship.Looking good for the Champions League also..

Bolton go!: )

Agreed. Thats why football is so nice and the most poular sport out there.Any team in a league can beat any other, no matter how good it is. The thing is that in year long league, the "common sense" eventually prevails and the big teams end winning.
As for the comparison with tennis, surprises are more common in football, of course, as there are more variables in stake.

Actually I have read an article that said,that is the main reason that Football is so much popular.It's the elementa of luck.Any team has a real chance to beat any other at any given time.lol..Champions League Final Milan-Liverpool..who would have expected it?;) Incredible!

Are you trying to say we have a low alcohol tolerance?

It's more the fact that English fans enjoy copious amounts in such a short space of time, plus the long journey to matches makes us APPEAR like we may be slightly intoxicated .. looks can be deceiving my friend.

It's just for show, really we are all discussing the ins and outs of the British Political system. We football fans are more cultured than you would give us credit for!

cough cough..:p

Dedans Penthouse
07-25-2006, 06:36 AM
We football fans are more cultured than you would give us credit for! ;)
I would totally agree; no value judgements from me! I see nothing wrong with having a pint (or 12) before a long anticipated match between two bitter rivals. To that end, I really would like to go see a game between two teams that aren't exactly "kissing cousins" such as Manchester United and Arsenal. I can also imagine that the "football game" between their respective fans (before, during or after the game) would be well worth the view. We too have our loonies on this side of the 'pond' as well (e.g. Yankees vs. Red Sox; Alabama vs. Auburn) and there's usually boozin' factoring somewhere in the equation. As Homer Simpson summed it up perfectly: "Alcohol: the cause of and the solution to all of life's problems."

That said, I defer to your expertise and want to pose a few questions to you (or any other Premiere League fan).

1.--Who's the favorite this year? Chelsea?

2.--What's the deal with Manchester? There are 2 teams, Manchester United (well known/famous) and Manchester City. I presume they play in different stadiums in different sections of town from each other? Is "Manchester City" and their supporters viewed (figuratively speaking) as 2nd class citizens; like some red-headed stepchild? What's the relationship between the two teams?

3.--Stadiums; which is the: nicest, most famous, oldest, creepiest, biggest dump, etc.

4.--Most passionate fans (polite way of saying "craziest" fans)?

5.--Best town "game day" atmosphere?

Thanks and regards

Rod_Laver_Legend
07-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Definatly Liverpool, with the players we've brought in we'll do it. If we didn't have that early non scoring dip at the start of last season we would have won it off Chelsea that time.

malakas
07-25-2006, 06:49 AM
I would totally agree; no value judgements from me! I see nothing wrong with having a pint (or 12) before a long anticipated match between two bitter rivals. To that end, I really would like to go see a game between two teams that aren't exactly "kissing cousins" such as Manchester United and Arsenal. I can also imagine that the "football game" between their respective fans (before, during or after the game) would be well worth the view. We too have our loonies on this side of the 'pond' as well (e.g. Yankees vs. Red Sox; Alabama vs. Auburn) and there's usually boozin' factoring somewhere in the equation. As Homer Simpson summed it up perfectly: "Alcohol: the cause of and the solution to all of life's problems."

That said, I defer to your expertise and want to pose a few questions to you (or any other Premiere League fan).

2.--What's the deal with Manchester? There are 2 teams, Manchester United (well known/famous) and Manchester City. I presume they play in different stadiums in different sections of town from each other? Is "Manchester City" and their supporters viewed (figuratively speaking) as 2nd class citizens; like some red-headed stepchild? What's the relationship between the two teams?

3.--Stadiums; which is the: nicest, most famous, oldest, creepiest, biggest dump, etc.

Thanks and regards

Hi Dedans..well I am not exactly an expert but..I will try to answer your questions.
1.Chelsea.But the premieship is more open than many more championships (for example the Bundesliga) meaning,that there is big chance that the championship will end in Arsenal's hands..or even to some other's contender..But don't expect from..let's say..Chrystal Pallas to win it!;)

2.Hmm..about Manchester..well,Manchester City is the team of most Manchester inhabitants,and Manchester United of most people outside of Manchester..
For example..one of the most common ehmm..polite mottos of Man.City fans,during a derby is..''Anyone from Manchester?'' ..:mrgreen:

3.Oh..about stadiums..I don't know much..I suppose it was Arsenal's Highburry..and of course the most famous is Old Trafford.But all big teams,have famous stadiums..with much history and glory..

4.Hahaha..that's easy..Man.United fans!They are crazy!

5.Ehmm..in england don't expect to find a good old family atmosphere in the stadiums!!Or in the streets!;P
But..better the english to answer this one..

Shabazza
07-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Definatly Liverpool, with the players we've brought in we'll do it. If we didn't have that early non scoring dip at the start of last season we would have won it off Chelsea that time.
I hope so! My heart says Liverpool, but my mind says Chelsea...

Actually I have read an article that said,that is the main reason that Football is so much popular.It's the elementa of luck.Any team has a real chance to beat any other at any given time.lol..Champions League Final Milan-Liverpool..who would have expected it? Incredible!
This is one of my favorite football matches, of all time - with the right outcome, nonetheless! :D
Who would have guessed such a comeback after the first half?! Not me. ;)

diegaa
07-25-2006, 07:15 AM
I hope so! My heart says Liverpool, but my mind says Chelsea...

This is one of my favorite football matches, of all time - with the right outcome, nonetheless! :D
Who would have guessed such a comeback after the first half?! Not me. ;)
IMHO, the most unbelieveable champions league final was held in 1999: man utd 2 - bayern munich 1. dont u agree?

malakas
07-25-2006, 07:21 AM
IMHO, the most unbelieveable champions league final was held in 1999: man utd 2 - bayern munich 1. dont u agree?

Ehm..I think that Milan-Liverpool was better..but I was very young in 1999 and,didnt appreciated so much...football!:mrgreen:
So,I kind of appreciate more the miracles and great moments of...my time!:p

I am going to 2007 Champions League Final!I am so happy!!!:D I hope it will be a wonderful final!!(And prefferably with no Real,Chelsea or Bayern!;P hehehehe..)

Shabazza
07-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Blah, don't remind me I'm german...though no Bayern München fan ;), but those last minutes were just awfull even for me.

diegaa
07-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Blah, don't remind me I'm german...though no Bayern München fan ;), but those last minutes were just awfull even for me.

man, what r u complaining of?
In any international club tourneys, I want other argie teams to loose, except for MY team, of course.

No national pride beyond the national team!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Feņa14
07-25-2006, 08:57 AM

Thanks and regards

Good questions.

1. Yes Chelsea are the favourites but anything can happen, an injury here or there could seriously damage any teams chances. If Chelsea lose their influential leader in John Terry then things would get harder for sure. It's a marathon so I feel the team with the best depth of squad will win. Chelsea has that with world class players in every position, especially in midfield.

2. As Malakas says, Manchester United's fans tend to come from outside of Manchester and Manchester City fans are mainly Mancunians. Before the Second World War the people of Manchester tended to watch both teams but after the war things changed and people began to start supporting either one or the other.

Things are similar with Liverpool and Everton, the common belief is that people born in Liverpool and immigrants from Wales supported Liverpool whereas Everton fans tended to come from Irish immigrants and local people. This caused a Catholic (Everton) and Liverpool (Protestant) divide, nowadays it's not as bad but the roots were set for a rivalry.

3. As for stadiums, well Arsenal's new Emirates stadium is very nice as is The City of Manchester stadium (Man City). St James' Park (Newcastle) is also a very nice stadium. As for the most famous well that probably has to be Old Trafford (Man Utd), most people know it even if they aren't football fans.

The biggest dump of a stadium I would say is probably Goodison Park (Everton), from the outside anyway. It's very dirty and looks old but i'm sure everyone has their own opinion on their least favourite stadium, I also found sections at Ewood Park (Blackburn) to be erm... lacking?

The oldest stadium in the Premiership is Bramall Lane (Sheffield Utd - 1855) who have just got promoted, but if you are talking about the Premiership regulars then Stamford Bridge (Chelsea - 1877) is the oldest although it's looking a bit different now to how it was then!

4. Most passionate fans? hmm certainly not Man Utd in my opinion, the die hard fans are hardcore but that can be said about most fans of clubs, the fact that alot of fans come from outside of Manchester seems to create glory hunters who aren't particularly interested in football and they just go for the atmosphere and to say they have seen Man Utd at Old Trafford.. alot of kids have grown up with Man Utd dominating so obviously you get alot supporting them.

Everton fans are very passionate, everytime you see them they are always willing to give you a word in your ear and basically go nuts. When we drew 1-1 last year they were questioning alot of decisions, some were letting their kids sit on their shoulders so the little kids could hurl abuse and make gestures.

Experiencing the Chelsea fans is always great but it is becoming a bit like Man Utd where you have people turning up just because it's Chelsea and they don't join in or interact. All the tough cockney blokes walking down the Fulham Road with skin heads and in mod gear is pretty crazy, the Chelsea Head Hunters are probably the most famous set of fans who certainly don't shy away from a fight if it's on offer. At away games they always seem to be louder even though they are out numbered. You always see the same people at games and it's a good atmoshpere in the shed.

5. The best atmosphere on game days, well I find stadiums that are close to houses have the best atmosphere. You see people in the streets and they come out their houses an hour before the game and go into the ground. Local people are always the most passionate.

Being a Chelsea fan I can say that taking the tube to Fulham Broadway is great with a fantastic atmosphere, then you make the short walk down Fulham Road with the rest of the fans in one of the best looking locations in London, great stuff.

Hope this helps :)

kv581
07-25-2006, 10:26 AM
But since you mention it, hockey and football salaries are STABLE (because each sport has a salary cap). Basketball and baseball salaries are, like Premier League salaries, going through the roof and ticket prices have risen proportionately, but...not as much as they have with the big UK teams.
Thing is, the NBA DOES have a salary cap, but it still doesn't prevent a lot of the price inflation.

Dedans Penthouse
07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Fena14: awesome post; muchas gracias!

Coincidentally, today the New York Times ran a story in its sports section with the headline:

"For Chelsea and Its Coach, a New Look."
Some excerpts from the column:

The manager of the No. 1 team in English soccer the past two seasons will arrive in the United States this week with a No. 1 buzz cut and a pledge that he is "ready for war."

Jose Mourinho, the Portuguese coach of Chelsea of the English Premier League, again found himself the focus of British tabloids when he recently showed off his new closely cropped coiffure.

Chelsea is preparing for its midweek trip to California. Chelsea, the defending Premier League champion, will train at U.C.L.A. for a week, then play a Major League Soccer All-Star team August 5 in Bridgeview, Illinois.

"I also cut my hair for a different reason, because I want to push my kid to do the same" Mourinho said. "And it was hot. Training two times a day, I have no time to spend with long hair. I also want to push the young players on my team to have a proper haircut, not the Rastafarians they have. For me, I changed the look, maybe my face is more aggressive, to prepare myself for football, to be ready for war."

Chelsea is coming to the United States for the third straight summer in its continuing battle against teams like Manchester United and Real Madrid for global domination and American dollars. Chelsea recently began a partnership with the Anschutz Entertainment Group, the company that run four Major League Soccer teams, including D.C. United. The agreement will take Chelsea back to the West Coast next summer for a tournament that will include the Los Angeles Galaxy, another Group owned team.

Mouninho, commenting on the team's upcoming trip, added "I like coming to the United States because of the freedom the players have which is much different from in Europe. It is the beginning of the season and the players need some space, to be able to go for a walk after dinner. These are the crucial moments where, as a group, they build relationships, not just go back to their hotel rooms and then see the same players the next day. They need to develop communication, and the 'States' is a good place for that."

........Chelsea's ever-changing roster of high-priced talent: Michael Ballack on a free transfer from Bayern Munich, Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko on a $55 million transfer from A.C. Milan of Italy. According to published reports in England, Shevchenko will pocket around $200,000 per week. Other acquisions include Salomon Kaloa, a striker from Ivory Coast and John Obi Mikel, a Nigerian midfielder......

.......Departures included Irish forward Damien Duff (now with Newcastle United), Spanish defender Asier Del Horno (sold to Valencia); with a logjam of players up front, Chelsea was close to selling the Argentine striker Hernan Crespo to an Italian club, according to published reports the club has denied.

Chelsea's stadium, Stamford Bridge, is in fashionable West London, and the club has long been known for its high-powered collection of fans --- a following that includes actors and rock stars --- and low powered success on the field.

It was a Russian oil tycoon, Roman Abramovich, who saw the value and potential in a debt-ridden English team when he spent $233 million in June, 2003 to buy the club. Since then, Chelski, as the British tabloids gleefully call the club, has spent more than $300 million to acquire players and has a payroll that surpasses that of the New York Yankees.

In June, Forbes magazine put Chelsea at No. 7 on its list of the most valuable soccer teams in the world. Forbes said that the team's total revenue was $267 million in 2005-6 and that it had a market value of $508 million.

......noted however that even though the Chelsea payroll is currently higher than the New York Yankees, in May, Forbes magazine conservatively estimated the New York Yankees' value at $1.026 billion.

Abramovich, like George Steinbrenner, the Yankees' principal owner, has been blamed for inflating players salaries and making it harder for more modest clubs to compete.

"Everyone is waiting for Chelsea to fail," Mourinho said. "It is a great motivation for us. We have signed new players not because we need them to make us champions. It is not a question of money for the club or for the players. It is a different kind of mission, a new life challenge."

crosscourt
07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
To add to what Fena has said, I would observe that "Manchester" is two cities -- Manchester and Salford. Manchester City has huge support in Manchester and in very few other parts of the country. Manchester United has huge support in Manchester, Salford and most of the rest of the country. Becasue of this Manchester United is also widely resented. However, that is changing as Chelsea's success now makes United's previous domination seem less oppressive.

At times, Manchester City has been one of the leading sides in the country. They now play at the City of Manchester stadium, built for the Commonwealth Games in Manchester, and probably the best football stadium in England.

Chelsea are favoutites for the Premiership because they have the strongest squad. Because of the gulf in ability between the leading teams and the rest it is no longer quite as important to have a deep squad to win the Premiership. There are probably 8 key matches that Chelsea will play to win the Premiership, and they will probably win 6 or 7 of them. That will be enough. The other leading teams won't lose any more of their key games than Chelsea, but will draw and not win the balance. The real deal about a strong squad in Premiership terms is in coping with the Champions League. Freshening the mix between those ties, to continue to win Premiership matches, is one of the things that Chelsea has done well, and Arsenal and Manchester United have failed to do well, in the last few seasons.

Having said all that, if Mourinho doesn't win the Champions League he may have a fairly short future at Chelsea. Benitez, the current Liverpool boss, is a superb manager, and must be likely to succeed Mourinho if Mourinho fails in Europe again.

England is full of mad football fans. One of the guys who works in our reprographics department has been to every professional football stadium in the country, and is a mad follower of a non-league team. He travels the country following them. Their football is awful, but that's not the point. There are thousands like him, many of whom, incidentally, support Manchester United, as well as hundreds of lesser known clubs. It is a mania, and I guess it has its equivalent everywhere else. When I lived in France I came across men who would walk from Perpignan to Beziers to watch a rugby match.

Anyway, to think that before Blackburn bought the Premiership title in the '90's the grey beards said that "you can't buy the title". I have a season ticket to the new Arsenal stadium and will spend the year watching that idea being disproved yet again.

cc

Marat Safinator
07-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Manchester United.

Feņa14
07-25-2006, 03:10 PM

No problems, hopefully it was useful for you and others to get a little bit of a feel about the Premiership. Crosscourt made some very good points too, everyone has a view on football in England with everyone feeling that their view is right. Male ego's and football can be a very touchy subject area :)

Nice article too, good to see that Chelsea are getting some coverage over there in America.

malakas
07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Chelsea are favoutites for the Premiership because they have the strongest squad. Because of the gulf in ability between the leading teams and the rest it is no longer quite as important to have a deep squad to win the Premiership. There are probably 8 key matches that Chelsea will play to win the Premiership, and they will probably win 6 or 7 of them. That will be enough. The other leading teams won't lose any more of their key games than Chelsea, but will draw and not win the balance. The real deal about a strong squad in Premiership terms is in coping with the Champions League. Freshening the mix between those ties, to continue to win Premiership matches, is one of the things that Chelsea has done well, and Arsenal and Manchester United have failed to do well, in the last few seasons.

Having said all that, if Mourinho doesn't win the Champions League he may have a fairly short future at Chelsea. Benitez, the current Liverpool boss, is a superb manager, and must be likely to succeed Mourinho if Mourinho fails in Europe again.
cc

Really?So Chelsea aims very seriously to the Champions League trophy....
I didn't know that Mourinhio's position was so much depending on Chelsea's success..hehehe..one more reason to hope for Chelsea,to go out soon!:twisted:

BTW,about the owner of Chelsea..Abramovic ..isn't he also founding a russian team..CSKA or some other?I think that UEFA had made an inquiry about that..any news?
(BTW,about the summer transfers ..Vieria is going to Barca..;) )

Andy Hewitt
07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Chelsea, gonna see them August 5th. :)

maynardsson55
07-25-2006, 05:21 PM
[
It was a Russian oil tycoon, Roman Abramovich, who saw the value and potential in a debt-ridden English team when he spent $233 million in June, 2003 to buy the club. Since then, Chelski, as the British tabloids gleefully call the club, has spent more than $300 million to acquire players and has a payroll that surpasses that of the New York Yankees.

That's why it was sweet when the Boro ripped 'em up last year. Sorry Fena, got to brag about something.;)
Sorry, double post

maynardsson55
07-25-2006, 05:25 PM

Coincidentally, today the New York Times ran a story in its sports section with the headline:

"For Chelsea and Its Coach, a New Look."
Some excerpts from the column:

The manager of the No. 1 team in English soccer the past two seasons will arrive in the United States this week with a No. 1 buzz cut and a pledge that he is "ready for war."

Jose Mourinho, the Portuguese coach of Chelsea of the English Premier League, again found himself the focus of British tabloids when he recently showed off his new closely cropped coiffure.

Chelsea is preparing for its midweek trip to California. Chelsea, the defending Premier League champion, will train at U.C.L.A. for a week, then play a Major League Soccer All-Star team August 5 in Bridgeview, Illinois.

"I also cut my hair for a different reason, because I want to push my kid to do the same" Mourinho said. "And it was hot. Training two times a day, I have no time to spend with long hair. I also want to push the young players on my team to have a proper haircut, not the Rastafarians they have. For me, I changed the look, maybe my face is more aggressive, to prepare myself for football, to be ready for war."

Chelsea is coming to the United States for the third straight summer in its continuing battle against teams like Manchester United and Real Madrid for global domination and American dollars. Chelsea recently began a partnership with the Anschutz Entertainment Group, the company that run four Major League Soccer teams, including D.C. United. The agreement will take Chelsea back to the West Coast next summer for a tournament that will include the Los Angeles Galaxy, another Group owned team.

Mouninho, commenting on the team's upcoming trip, added "I like coming to the United States because of the freedom the players have which is much different from in Europe. It is the beginning of the season and the players need some space, to be able to go for a walk after dinner. These are the crucial moments where, as a group, they build relationships, not just go back to their hotel rooms and then see the same players the next day. They need to develop communication, and the 'States' is a good place for that."

........Chelsea's ever-changing roster of high-priced talent: Michael Ballack on a free transfer from Bayern Munich, Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko on a $55 million transfer from A.C. Milan of Italy. According to published reports in England, Shevchenko will pocket around $200,000 per week. Other acquisions include Salomon Kaloa, a striker from Ivory Coast and John Obi Mikel, a Nigerian midfielder......

.......Departures included Irish forward Damien Duff (now with Newcastle United), Spanish defender Asier Del Horno (sold to Valencia); with a logjam of players up front, Chelsea was close to selling the Argentine striker Hernan Crespo to an Italian club, according to published reports the club has denied.

Chelsea's stadium, Stamford Bridge, is in fashionable West London, and the club has long been known for its high-powered collection of fans --- a following that includes actors and rock stars --- and low powered success on the field.

In June, Forbes magazine put Chelsea at No. 7 on its list of the most valuable soccer teams in the world. Forbes said that the team's total revenue was $267 million in 2005-6 and that it had a market value of $508 million.

......noted however that even though the Chelsea payroll is currently higher than the New York Yankees, in May, Forbes magazine conservatively estimated the New York Yankees' value at $1.026 billion.

Abramovich, like George Steinbrenner, the Yankees' principal owner, has been blamed for inflating players salaries and making it harder for more modest clubs to compete.

"Everyone is waiting for Chelsea to fail," Mourinho said. "It is a great motivation for us. We have signed new players not because we need them to make us champions. It is not a question of money for the club or for the players. It is a different kind of mission, a new life challenge."
That is why it was sweet when the Boro trounced them last year. Sorry Fena, got to brag 'bout something!

RiosTheGenius
07-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I think Liverpool will win it now since they got Mark Gonzalez :lol:

Feņa14
07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
That is why it was sweet when the Boro trounced them last year. Sorry Fena, got to brag 'bout something!

haha don't worry about it, the title was as good as over at the time so it was all good. Middlesbrough played great and completely deserved it, fair play to them.

Travelling 9 hours there and back to see that was a little disappointing I have to admit but you have to take the rough with the smooth :)

Andy Hewitt
07-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Tottenham are gonna be awesome this year, Robbie Keene and Berbatov (won me many games in Winning) up front is gonna be awesome.

crosscourt
07-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Malakas -- Europe is probably bigger for the managaement of Chelsea than it is for any other English club. The attitude from Chelsea, for some time, has been that it is a "European club that just happens to play in the English league".

There's an irony in this. The managers who have come from overseas and who have done well in the Premiership -- primarily Mourinho and Wenger -- have done so by designing teams that can win the Premiership. In Arsenal's case by absorbing some outstanding talent coming out of France that French football could not accommodate, and in Chelsea's case by absorbing a lot of roubles. In doing so they haven't always designed teams that look bound to succeed in Europe. There is a dilemna for them. It's easier to win the Premiership than the Champions League, but they take different types of football to win. Because they have to succeed, they have to be able to win the Premiership. But because the big prize is elsewhere, they remain unsatisfied.

cc

Dedans Penthouse
07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
It's easier to win the Premiership than the Champions League, but they take different types of football to win
crosscourt, et all: thanks for the additional comments. Crosscourt, by "different types" of football (Premiere vs. Champions League), what are the "different styles" and are they possibly influenced by varying (different) 'referreeing styles, i.e. "what's allowed" and "what's not?"

Saw a snippet of a taped game last night (played Jan., 2006) between Manchester United and Manchester City. First off, the light blue jerseys of Manchester City had some guy's name on it; "Thomas Cook." I assume 'Tommy' is a corporate sponsor?

Man. City beat Man. United 3-1 and I saw in the highlights that Renaldo (that talented "headcase") from Portugal got red carded for United. When I saw that I thought: "hey, is that the same guy who was 'diving' during World Cup for Portugual?" Turns out my recollection was correct; alas, I, a clueless American must be watching way too much "futball" when I can actually pick out names like Rooney, Renaldo et al ;-) ...... when the hell do NFL camps open up already?!! LOL :-)

Finally, what was with Morrisey's (good album btw, for the mopey whinner) entitled "Your Arsenal?" Did that have anything to do with the club? If so, then what would THAT be all about? I mean the guy strikes me as someone who's not so "sporting" that is, someone who'd rather sit in a pitch black room and brood rather than watch a match on a 'pitch'.

Val
07-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Coming in late for this post, but obviously, the Premiership is Chelsea's for the taking. They are just too strong, and they're getting better by leaps and bounds. Arsenal got better with the addition of Rosicky, but Chelsea got better with Ballack, and Ballack's better than Rosicky. Man Utd had a really fantastic season last year, but Scholes is officially old and Giggs can only turn it on in spurts and they're going to lose Ruud and a guy who can score 25 goals a season is more valuable than a lefty who can win 20 games. Liverpool's got Stevie Gerrard, the best English player, but if your top striker is Peter Crouch, well then, you're going to have troubles scoring.

So, those are the big four. Anything can happen over the course of 60 games (38 of which are played for the Premiership) but Chelsea have got the depth and the coach to best adapt.

Anyone who thinks Boro or Newcastle are poised to crash the top 6 is delusional, though Boro gets better just by subtracting McLaren.

The major interest, though, will be Spurs. Their coach, Martin Jol, is subtly stockpiling talent and he's got some of England's best players in Defoe, King, Carrick and WC wunderkind Lennon. They've claimed for the last decade that "this is the year they turn it around" only to fold. Think last year's food poisoning debacle. They've easily got the talent to break into the top 4, but winning is an acquired skill, and I don't know if they've got it in them. Even though I'm an Arsenal fan, I'm looking forward to their getting better.

malakas
07-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Malakas -- Europe is probably bigger for the managaement of Chelsea than it is for any other English club. The attitude from Chelsea, for some time, has been that it is a "European club that just happens to play in the English league".

There's an irony in this. The managers who have come from overseas and who have done well in the Premiership -- primarily Mourinho and Wenger -- have done so by designing teams that can win the Premiership. In Arsenal's case by absorbing some outstanding talent coming out of France that French football could not accommodate, and in Chelsea's case by absorbing a lot of roubles. In doing so they haven't always designed teams that look bound to succeed in Europe. There is a dilemna for them. It's easier to win the Premiership than the Champions League, but they take different types of football to win. Because they have to succeed, they have to be able to win the Premiership. But because the big prize is elsewhere, they remain unsatisfied.

cc

Hmm..yes.You have a point here.I quess,in the Premiership you have to play much more offensive,with much more fouls(that are not whistled) to get your results.[here's your answer Dedans ;) ) .But,I don't know why,I just don't see Chelsea making it.And Mourinhio has really ****ed off some big men in Uefa,so..But,I won't say no to another great match Clelsea-Barca!Especially if it has more..ehm..cigarettes light off!:mrgreen:

rommil
07-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I would put my money on Chelsea. For me they just work well together as a team. I like ManU but there are too many stars that work on their own and I can't stand C. Ronaldo.

Feņa14
07-26-2006, 10:04 AM
crosscourt, et all: thanks for the additional comments. Crosscourt, by "different types" of football (Premiere vs. Champions League), what are the "different styles" and are they possibly influenced by varying (different) 'referreeing styles, i.e. "what's allowed" and "what's not?"

Saw a snippet of a taped game last night (played Jan., 2006) between Manchester United and Manchester City. First off, the light blue jerseys of Manchester City had some guy's name on it; "Thomas Cook." I assume 'Tommy' is a corporate sponsor?

Man. City beat Man. United 3-1 and I saw in the highlights that Renaldo (that talented "headcase") from Portugal got red carded for United. When I saw that I thought: "hey, is that the same guy who was 'diving' during World Cup for Portugual?" Turns out my recollection was correct; alas, I, a clueless American must be watching way too much "futball" when I can actually pick out names like Rooney, Renaldo et al ;-) ...... when the hell do NFL camps open up already?!! LOL :-)

In my opinion the difference between English football and European football is the refereeing, the English game is very free-flowing where minor fouls are often ignored in order to create a game that keeps moving and isn't stop start as much.

In Europe you have games that are so stop start that it can become very frustrating, if two players go up for a ball it appears that the person who wins the ball gets penalised. The referee's appear too synical and blow their whistle for the most trivial of things, if you go down the free kick is yours virtually no questions asked. In England there is a real possibility that you will get yellow carded for diving if you did.

Of course there are other differences between the two, but I feel that is the main one.

Thomas Cook are the shirt sponsor yes, they are a travel company over here in the UK. When you want to go on holiday, you go and visit Thomas Cook :)

True Ronaldo is a nutter, he is talented yes but he dives around and his antics in the World Cup were disgraceful. He is also a very selfish player who tries to do it all by himself, if he was more of a team player then he would be a much better player. There was also a bit story about him apparently raping a girl at the back end of last year, although it came to nothing there were alot of people who doubted him which shows how people view him as a person.

robkat
07-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Found this link to Foxsports with pics of EPL stadiums: It contains some good photos
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/pgStory?contentId=5805592

rommil
07-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Cristiano looks like a rigid tree playing football.....and the fake dives and fouls? ManU would be a much more likable team without him. I would rather go for Wiggan lol....

Shabazza
07-26-2006, 10:27 AM
man, what r u complaining of?
In any international club tourneys, I want other argie teams to loose, except for MY team, of course.

No national pride beyond the national team!!!!!!!!!!! :p
It's not national pride or anything, just that I don't like ManU + it was Lothar Matthäus last chance to get a CL-trophy - losing 2 times in the CL-final in 12 year time span sucks, imho. :p

crosscourt
07-26-2006, 03:34 PM
To add to what Fena said about different styles of play, I would say that in Europe generally there is more emphasis on retaining possession and controlling the ball than there is in England. Obviously this is true in different degrees. It applies more to the Dutch and the Italians than it does to the Germansn and the Poles. But English football is a lot like basketball. One team has the ball for a short period and then the other team has a go.

Together with this, the defending is better in most European countries than it is in England. At the same time, English defenders do tend to cope well with balls in the air better than European defenders. Crossing a ball from the wing for a tall striker to head the ball is a staple of the English game.

However, these are wild generalities.

That City v United game though was a good example of what can happen in English football. City used a player with a height advantage to dominate the short United defender Evra. Hitting high balls in to him he had an advantage over the defender that City exploited to win the match. That's very English. Both the tactic, and the single minded exploitation of an opponent's individual weakness.

Ronaldo is an excellent player. It is a shame for United that they seem certain to lose him. Unfortunately he has become another scapegoat -- along with Erikson and a referee -- for England's poor performances at the World Cup. Needless to say the only people blamed for England's demise were foreigners.

cc

malakas
07-26-2006, 03:54 PM
In my opinion the difference between English football and European football is the refereeing, the English game is very free-flowing where minor fouls are often ignored in order to create a game that keeps moving and isn't stop start as much.

In Europe you have games that are so stop start that it can become very frustrating, if two players go up for a ball it appears that the person who wins the ball gets penalised. The referee's appear too synical and blow their whistle for the most trivial of things, if you go down the free kick is yours virtually no questions asked. In England there is a real possibility that you will get yellow carded for diving if you did.

Of course there are other differences between the two, but I feel that is the main one.

Thomas Cook are the shirt sponsor yes, they are a travel company over here in the UK. When you want to go on holiday, you go and visit Thomas Cook

True Ronaldo is a nutter, he is talented yes but he dives around and his antics in the World Cup were disgraceful. He is also a very selfish player who tries to do it all by himself, if he was more of a team player then he would be a much better player. There was also a bit story about him apparently raping a girl at the back end of last year, although it came to nothing there were alot of people who doubted him which shows how people view him as a person.

Excuse me,but I want my players(I mean my team's ;)) to leave the field alive!And it's not like the refs whistle every ten secs!They just FOLLOW the rules and can whiste a foul when they see one!
If you expect by sane and NOT blind Champions League refs to follow the premiership's tactics...you are just wasting your time!:rolleyes: :p

About Ronaldo..i just despise him.I have heard some stories about him,when he came here in the Olympics (after their Euro loss) and he acted VERY bad.And this during the Olympics where the atmosphere in the Olympic dorf and the whole country is very friendly,philathletic etc..
Anyway.. Rooney for me is bigger (and far ugglier,hehehe..) reason NOT to like ManU.But to each their own.

And about the CL..did you know that Milan can still play?I thought that the penalty for the calciopolio said that she couldn't play..Well,well well..one more contender for the trophy!!!;P

maynardsson55
07-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Coming in late for this post, but obviously, the Premiership is Chelsea's for the taking. They are just too strong, and they're getting better by leaps and bounds. Arsenal got better with the addition of Rosicky, but Chelsea got better with Ballack, and Ballack's better than Rosicky. Man Utd had a really fantastic season last year, but Scholes is officially old and Giggs can only turn it on in spurts and they're going to lose Ruud and a guy who can score 25 goals a season is more valuable than a lefty who can win 20 games. Liverpool's got Stevie Gerrard, the best English player, but if your top striker is Peter Crouch, well then, you're going to have troubles scoring.

So, those are the big four. Anything can happen over the course of 60 games (38 of which are played for the Premiership) but Chelsea have got the depth and the coach to best adapt.

Anyone who thinks Boro or Newcastle are poised to crash the top 6 is delusional, though Boro gets better just by subtracting McLaren.

The major interest, though, will be Spurs. Their coach, Martin Jol, is subtly stockpiling talent and he's got some of England's best players in Defoe, King, Carrick and WC wunderkind Lennon. They've claimed for the last decade that "this is the year they turn it around" only to fold. Think last year's food poisoning debacle. They've easily got the talent to break into the top 4, but winning is an acquired skill, and I don't know if they've got it in them. Even though I'm an Arsenal fan, I'm looking forward to their getting better.
Count me as delusional. Or just hopeful Boro can crack UEFA Cup again. I loved their run to the final last year( where they just got killed). I think McLaren taking the England job distracted them in the final. They looked as bad as they had all year against Sevilla. I also believe that a young Southgate as Manager can help them get some excitement back into the club. He was well respected as a player. I just hope he can MANAGE as well as he captained. I aslo respect them trying to get better from within. Something very few top clubs in Europe do. I do love the Yakubu signing last year, though. A couple more good signings and continued young player development and maybe a top 5 is attainable w/some luck.
Sorry to bore you guys w/Boro talk, but don't discount teams like them. Tottenham,interesting, and Portsmouth seem unafraid to spend. I think the Fulhams and West Hams of the league can surprise you as well.

Val
07-27-2006, 06:59 AM
^^^^^Oh, I am a plastic Boro fan, have been since they won the Carling Cup. Southgate was a great choice to be manager and they've got a fine youth academy, but I've been hearing rumors that Stewie Downing is on his way out. If you are a true Boro fan, then this is certainly the time of year to dream and anticipate , but I think Southgate is going to have to catch lightning in a bottle for Boro to be top 6.

malakas
07-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Ehm,what is the Carling Cup??!!:confused:

Dream on,Boro fans..This was your one and only final...this year,UEFA belongs to us!!:mad: :p

;p

Marat Safinator
07-27-2006, 07:23 AM
manchester united of course will win.

Jim_Courier's_Fluffy_Hair
07-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Arsenal. Rosicky is our secret weapon ;)

Feņa14
07-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Ehm,what is the Carling Cup??!!:confused:

It's a knock out competition in England, similar to the FA Cup just not as prestigious :)