PDA

View Full Version : Is Andy Roddick's serve proper?

Roger_federer
07-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Aside from the fact that he can serve fast, is the form good? I mean would anyone else learn to serve with that kind of form? or is it only him that can use it. It is VERY different and unusual looking but seems to work.

Freedom
07-23-2006, 05:05 PM
I've heard Monfil's motion is similar.

Saito
07-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Though very different and unusual, I have seen numerous amounts of players successfully imitate that serve. It does have good/bad elements overall, but it's not like it's anything special or is an improved serve form or anything other than it's short swing motion. It's all about the timing in the end if you want to use anyone's serve form really. There are a bunch of sites that have his serve in vid clips and if you do a search, I'm more than sure you can find it here on the forums as well. Study it if you want to use it. Just remember to focus on your timing.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 05:09 PM
whatever floats your boat, but that ship is going down. so why build one just like it?

ACE of Hearts
07-23-2006, 05:28 PM
I was seeing alot of gaga over the serve today because of the speed, give me good disguise over speed anytime of the week.I am not a fan of Roddick's serve, it has become very returnable for some of the players that can read it.

stormholloway
07-23-2006, 05:53 PM
It's a great motion. That's all we're talking about here. He utilizes physics beautifully. I think he should take the speed down a touch and work on accuracy and placement.

He brings his back foot up and wastes no energy whatsoever.

Strictly speaking, his serve is more than proper.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Does anyone have a breakdown of his serve?

Roger_federer
07-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Yes can anyone post a video of slowmotion and how to learn it? I tried searching but cannot find. I want to try to use this form.

sandiegotennisboy
07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
why people why?

Serve_n_volley
07-23-2006, 06:08 PM
There are actually many players that use an abbreviated service motion (ex. Nadal, Gasquet). It is not only Roddick, but Roddick does have a very personalized style to his. It is a good serve to copy, I have studied it and my motion/style is almost identical to it. I have tons of videos of it, a good one is on tennisplayer.net and then go to thetour strokes and youll find it somewhere there in the sample section. Basically Roddick just gets to the trophy postion faster than other players and he brings the ball and racquet up together and does a small motion with his wrist as he is bringing it up.

ATXtennisaddict
07-23-2006, 06:08 PM
if u visit tennisplayer.net it explains that you really need to have the athleticism to do roddick's serve.

Serve-And-Volley
07-23-2006, 06:10 PM
The Roddick motion is a little crazy at times but works for him because of his immense leg and ab strengh. Juniors nowadays are trying to hard to replicate this motion, and it is giving them more problems than anything. For them it is too physically demanding, and a pain for a coach to fix. As far as form goes there is not too many problems; he tosses the ball low and gets great knee bend and gets great acceleration.

MMkay5
07-23-2006, 07:01 PM
do you have to be a member to look at the tennisplayer.net stuff, if you do can someone leave their membername and password, that would be awesome!

siber222000
07-23-2006, 07:05 PM
my friend whos on varsity team serves like 80% same as him. It's VERY fast, his all courter, he also uses pure drive roddick plus. in my opinion, i would rather choose form for lleyton hewitt, but im pretty sure most people would choose roddick over hewitt

Freedom
07-23-2006, 07:11 PM
I would rather have Roddick's serve than Hewitt's, you bet. Roddick serves huge and in the 70% range. That's incredible. Even if his serve isn't netting him 800 aces a season anymore, would you pass up a chance to hit 70% first serves in the 120mph+ range?

siber222000
07-23-2006, 07:14 PM
I would rather have Roddick's serve than Hewitt's, you bet. Roddick serves huge and in the 70% range. That's incredible. Even if his serve isn't netting him 800 aces a season anymore, would you pass up a chance to hit 70% first serves in the 120mph+ range?
haha i like roddick serve speed, but form i like hewitt better. his serve form was like... the point where it made me like about hewitt. and his backhand

Volly master
07-23-2006, 07:17 PM
what good is a serve if people begin to read it?

i love roddicks serve, but come on, he isnt acing people like he used too.

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-23-2006, 07:39 PM
volly master, todays match was all the evidence you needed.

20 some aces in a 3 set match against Blake, a great returner and many other freebies that won the point outright for him even though Blake touched them.

stormholloway
07-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Seems like people have cracked his code. Sampras' serve was truly disguised. Roddick's is just this bullet that, when understood, can be read and anticipated. Andy just needs to work on accuracy.

Matthew
07-23-2006, 08:29 PM
The best part of Roddick's serve to imitate is his knee bend.

i.Radical
07-23-2006, 08:40 PM
When he was doing player impressions I wanted to go up there and do his serve.

Don't get me wrong, I loved his impressions.

WayneCM
07-24-2006, 04:00 PM
i mimic his serve motion sumwhat, but being a lower level player i use less knee bend to simplify the motion... I also go with my arm dropping lower... I find i can hit good angles with the serve an occasionally surprise an opponant and get sum cheap points... I Also think massu's serve is similar..

arosen
07-24-2006, 04:17 PM
It looks deceptively simple, but it takes a really loose arm to execute, plus a lighter frame or say goodbye to yer rotator cuff.

snoflewis
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I've heard Monfil's motion is similar.

Monfil's copied his service motion from Roddick...