PDA

View Full Version : Does Blake seem affected during his matches?

i.Radical
07-23-2006, 06:00 PM
He does to me, but of course I've never seen him outside of tennis so I don't know how he is otherwise. But during his matches, the way he seems SOOOOOO calm during big points (especially when he's down), and the way he kept smiling after a good shot from Roddick (in today's match) just seemed really affected to me.

But that's my opinion, and I'm sure I'm going to be getting a lot of flames from Blake fanboys. Whatever, feel free to agree/disagree.

Fee
07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
affected by what?

Volly master
07-23-2006, 06:13 PM
he seems rattled some points, everyone does.

not everyone can be a borg

David L
07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
affected by what?

Affected, as in phoney.

i.Radical
07-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Like, if you're ****ed you missed a big point, you don't have to look all tough guy. I prefer players who show their true emotions. I'm not saying you have to be a McEnroe.

Volly master
07-23-2006, 06:18 PM
ahh but i love McEnroe types, keeps the game interesting ;)

i wish he could play in todays game with Federer and Nadal and how he would use his antics then :)

skip1969
07-23-2006, 06:23 PM
he's well-liked by everyone so i don't think he's a phoney. but like someone else said, his outward appearance or facial expressions during big points or whatever, might serve to conceal his nervousness.

OrangeOne
07-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Agassi, against Goran in the W final, chose to take a very "business-like" approach to Goran's serve. That year it was so good that it left players frustrated, disheartened, upset, even being comical about it.

He, on every ace / unplayable simply moved across, ready to accept the next. Keeping that outwardly strong appearance looked tough, and must have brought Goran down a peg or two - not getting the usual self-satisfaction out of disheartening an opponent.

Maybe Blake's taken a lesson from the great Andre? :)

Mick
07-23-2006, 06:31 PM

i wish he could play in todays game with Federer and Nadal and how he would use his antics then :)

the thing that was unique about McEnroe was when he got mad, he would play a whole lot better. With most players, they would play worse when they're mad.

snoflewis
07-23-2006, 06:37 PM
i dont know about today's match, but during last years US open, it was clear that he was affected by his emotions. i think he got ahead of himself when he was up 3-1 in the 3rd set and became too comfortable...which eventually led to his loss.

tangerine
07-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Two close friends smile at each other every now and then during a match and people thinks it's "affected"? :confused:

Boy, but the TW crowd here sure is a weird one sometimes. Where's the :cuckoo: smilie in this place?

skip1969
07-23-2006, 06:53 PM
i think the op meant affected (as in fake or artificial) in terms of the emotions he shows on court.

AAAA
07-24-2006, 06:00 AM
It remains to be seen whether he will be supine or ease down when playing Roddick in a slam.

Shabazza
07-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Two close friends smile at each other every now and then during a match and people thinks it's "affected"? :confused:

Boy, but the TW crowd here sure is a weird one sometimes. Where's the :cuckoo: smilie in this place?
Agreed.

helloworld
07-24-2006, 06:10 AM

McEnroe would have gone mad playing against Nadal with all that butt picking, bottle placing, serve delaying, and all that stuff. :rolleyes:

rommil
07-24-2006, 07:40 AM
He does to me, but of course I've never seen him outside of tennis so I don't know how he is otherwise. But during his matches, the way he seems SOOOOOO calm during big points (especially when he's down), and the way he kept smiling after a good shot from Roddick (in today's match) just seemed really affected to me.

But that's my opinion, and I'm sure I'm going to be getting a lot of flames from Blake fanboys. Whatever, feel free to agree/disagree.
I think this is one of the traits a lot of the players try to learn, they try not to be too emotional and stay on course with the match. Fans would like to see more emotions on the court of course but it takes something from the players. If you take a look at some of the great players(Agassi, Seles, Sampras, Graf etc) you pick on any point of the match and watch their expressions and it's hard to tell if they're winning or losing.