PDA

View Full Version : Automatic vs stick

wimble10
07-23-2006, 07:08 PM
I drove a stick for a while and it was great, but then I switched to an automatic and it's just so different. The one thing I like about automatic is that you can coast so easily when you're in gear. I kind of miss shifting though. Manual seems a lot simpler. Which do you prefer?

Craig Sheppard
07-23-2006, 07:22 PM
manual. i don't like the stomp-and-go game, need more to do. Plus in my Golf TDI, the manual gets better mileage. Not always the case these days with other models.

diegaa
07-23-2006, 07:44 PM
manual. i like to have full control.
But i have to admit that sometimes, during large city jams, i would love to have an automatic transmission.

goober
07-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Sports cars- manual

Everything else auto.

tonyjh63
07-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Sports cars- manual

Everything else auto.

I second that. I enjoy my manual in my MR2 Turbo, but also like having an automatic in my Tribute.

ffrpg
07-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Manual is the way to go. For me, it makes driving a little more fun. Driving is boring with an automatic.

spaceman_spiff
07-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Generally I also prefer a manual, but it does have a major draw-back for people that play certain sports (ones that cause leg injuries). If I drive to a soccer game by myself in a manual and I manage to injure one of my legs, which happens from time to time, I probably won't be able to drive myself home or to the hospital. However, an automatic can be driven with one leg. That's one of the very few advantages the auto has in my mind.

Caswell
07-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Manual. I can fix anything on a car, except an automatic transmission. I'm convinced those things run on f'ing magic. I've seen plenty a competent gearhead humbled when they try to fix an automatic transmission problem.

zhan
07-24-2006, 04:22 AM
manual...
aka here
http://photos-793.facebook.com/ip006/v20/119/112/6108971/n6108971_30304793_7557.jpg
http://photos-059.facebook.com/ip007/v16/119/112/6108971/n6108971_30104059_8327.jpg
but i really want to try SMG/DSG style tranny lol
say u break ur leg then u can still drive with SMG but NOT the manual clutch style... lol

SydneyJim
07-24-2006, 06:47 AM
for racing and off roading manual... for cruising auto =) and for after long matches definitely auto lmfao

zhan
07-24-2006, 06:58 AM
for racing and off roading manual... for cruising auto =) and for after long matches definitely auto lmfao

hence the best combo = SMG/DSG
paddle manual mode with auto feature :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SydneyJim
07-24-2006, 07:22 AM
hence the best combo = SMG/DSG
paddle manual mode with auto feature :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i had a 03' e46 smg... it's nice but i like F1 better =)

zhan
07-24-2006, 07:33 AM
i had a 03' e46 smg... it's nice but i like F1 better =)
how come u have to have everything...
m3, mad tennis skills...
what else?
maybe dated with kournikova?
:rolleyes:

SydneyJim
07-24-2006, 07:39 AM
how come u have to have everything...
m3, mad tennis skills...
what else?
maybe dated with kournikova?
:rolleyes:

yeah right... i'm not so lucky haha... if you really want to know read my myspace =)

35ft6
07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
In LA, I would never drive a stick. Too many hills, too stop and go, too much traffic, etc. Automatic all the way.

Mick
07-24-2006, 12:31 PM
i enjoy driving my manual trans. car nearly as much as playing tennis :)

wimble10
07-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I guess automatic can take a little fun out of driving. Going from stick to automatic takes a while to get used. You definitely don't have as quick acceleration which can lead to trouble especially at intersections. Automatics are good if you just like to cruise or coast. Manual is better for precise handling and quick acceleration/deceleration. I wonder if there are more accidents involving automatics or sticks. I bet there is more for automatics.

Big Fed
07-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Manual all da way

RiosTheGenius
07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I see the benefit of both... but it's like comparing Mac vs PC.. there's people comfortable with one and other people comfy with the other.
I do feel a bit discriminated though when I rent vehicles in the US and they won't have cars with manual trans. WTF ??

Caswell
07-25-2006, 10:25 AM
I do feel a bit discriminated though when I rent vehicles in the US and they won't have cars with manual trans. WTF ??

The overwhelming majority of cars sold in the US are automatic. There's a significant portion of the driving population here that literally doesn't know how to drive a car with a manual. It's in the best interests of the rental companies to have a fleet of cars that everyone can drive.

zhan
07-25-2006, 11:14 AM
The overwhelming majority of cars sold in the US are automatic. There's a significant portion of the driving population here that literally doesn't know how to drive a car with a manual. It's in the best interests of the rental companies to have a fleet of cars that everyone can drive.

and manual rental cars gets abused like no other... and fleet car companies dont want to replace clutch and tranny every rental..

Caswell
07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
and manual rental cars gets abused like no other... and fleet car companies dont want to replace clutch and tranny every rental..

Quite true, altough I did have some friends in college that would rent automatics and the autocross them.

There's a great web page out there that chronicles some guys with a few nitrous bottles, a rental Neon, and "full coverage" rental insurance.

ShooterMcMarco
07-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Manual, ever since I learned how to drive stick I never looked back. Although driving through Seattle traffic sucks ***.

safin_protege
07-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Generally I also prefer a manual, but it does have a major draw-back for people that play certain sports (ones that cause leg injuries). If I drive to a soccer game by myself in a manual and I manage to injure one of my legs, which happens from time to time, I probably won't be able to drive myself home or to the hospital. However, an automatic can be driven with one leg. That's one of the very few advantages the auto has in my mind.

If you accelerate and reach the top RPM for a gear, and you can hear the engine whine, you can shift into the next gear without using the clutch.

Cars with a manual transmission are cheaper and, in general, more fuel efficient.

zhan
07-25-2006, 11:49 AM
If you accelerate and reach the top RPM for a gear, and you can hear the engine whine, you can shift into the next gear without using the clutch.

Cars with a manual transmission are cheaper and, in general, more fuel efficient.

i find autos better for fuel efficiency just because when its manual u always want to cane it lol
i get like 15mpg just cuz i like to drive in the correct torque band lol

MonkeyPox
07-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I had a manual for years and the fun wears off, that's for sure. Especially waiting in traffic. That is just brutal with a stick. Automatic all the way now. And plus you can hold a drink or something or do whatever else you need to do.

zhan
07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
I had a manual for years and the fun wears off, that's for sure. Especially waiting in traffic. That is just brutal with a stick. Automatic all the way now. And plus you can hold a drink or something or do whatever else you need to do.
depend on what stick u have...
my car has electronic throttle... so its technically impossible to stall without actually trying to...
and newer import sport cars the clutch isnt heavy and the shifter is light so its not THAT bad comparing to old school domestics

Steve Dykstra
07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Well my bro had to get surgery after cutting his pinky and has not been able to drive his stick car for over a month now, although he can drive my automatic car no problem. He will not be able to drive his own car for at least another month, so one reason to get an automatic is in case you injurey a hand badly.

brownbearfalling
07-25-2006, 09:05 PM
I prefer a manual. Though I really want to try a clutchless manual someday.
________
Drug tests (http://drugtestingkit.org)

wimble10
07-25-2006, 09:29 PM
First I thought a stick was much better than automatic for normal driving. The automatic seemed so dull, unpredictable, and annoying. Automatics seem better if you don't care much about making sudden accelerations. I drive a lot slower in an automatic. I guess automatics are a bit slower on the road because of the way people drive them.

RiosTheGenius
07-25-2006, 09:40 PM
while in the subject.... a friend of mine was going to driving school in New York, it turned out that the practice vehicle was automatic, I find this pointless, in most countries you can't take the driving exam in a car that's not manual..... in fact , my mom's car was auto so when I took the test I stopped a taxi and paid the guy so I could take the driving test in his taxi, an old beaten Peugeot 505 Diesel :lol:

zhan
07-26-2006, 05:13 AM
ppl drive manuals r probably safer than ppl who drive autos...
just cuz u have to be on the ball all the time not eating a mickey d's cheese burger and driving at the same time

safin_protege
07-26-2006, 06:54 AM
i find autos better for fuel efficiency just because when its manual u always want to cane it lol
i get like 15mpg just cuz i like to drive in the correct torque band lol

If you drive a manual correctly and well, it will probably be more fuel efficient.

zhan
07-26-2006, 07:04 AM
If you drive a manual correctly and well, it will probably be more fuel efficient.

i drive manual WELL and CORRECTLY
just i dont choose to granny

wimble10
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
i drive manual WELL and CORRECTLY
just i dont choose to granny

That's the problem with automatic, you basically have to granny it (or it doesn't seem to run as efficiently)..

zhan
07-26-2006, 09:45 AM
That's the problem with automatic, you basically have to granny it (or it doesn't seem to run as efficiently)..
gear ratio problems of autos lol...
6 spd > 4spd

vkartikv
07-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Where I come from manuals are more prominent. When you are in a city with 8 million people and no one seems to obey traffic rules, the going gets very slow and you almost never get past 2nd gear...

zhan
07-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Where I come from manuals are more prominent. When you are in a city with 8 million people and no one seems to obey traffic rules, the going gets very slow and you almost never get past 2nd gear...

well say u live in Shanghai, NYC, or some crazy populated city where traffic dont seem to move...
buying auto might help lol...
but i think using manual gives ur left calf a gooood working
:mrgreen:

simi
07-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I've only owned one automatic in my life, my current car. And, my wife said she would leave me if I spent the money to swap a manual into it. Bummer!

Best thing about manual transmissions is how long brakes last. My Ranger now has right at 255,000 miles on it and is on its second set of brake pads. Still the original roters. My previous auto, a manual Mercedes diesel was able to last for 300,000 miles on two sets of pads. But, I did have to replace the clutch at about 250,000 miles. One just has so much more control over the engine of an auto with a stick shift.

zhan
07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
I've only owned one automatic in my life, my current car. And, my wife said she would leave me if I spent the money to swap a manual into it. Bummer!

Best thing about manual transmissions is how long brakes last. My Ranger now has right at 255,000 miles on it and is on its second set of brake pads. Still the original roters. My previous auto, a manual Mercedes diesel was able to last for 300,000 miles on two sets of pads. But, I did have to replace the clutch at about 250,000 miles. One just has so much more control over the engine of an auto with a stick shift.

i went through a set of stock pads in about... 3,000 miles
now im on racing pads for street driving... and they r holding up well
my car had 3 transmission changes in 15,000 miles
i torched the clutch in about 2,000 miles
i had it replacement under warranty at 14,000 now its 16,000 and its slipping
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

simi
07-26-2006, 11:34 AM
i went through a set of stock pads in about... 3,000 miles
now im on racing pads for street driving... and they r holding up well
my car had 3 transmission changes in 15,000 miles
i torched the clutch in about 2,000 miles
i had it replacement under warranty at 14,000 now its 16,000 and its slipping
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

That does it! Don't ever ask to borrow my car. You'll have to hoof it. :D

GRANITECHIEF
07-26-2006, 01:43 PM
^i don't even know if i'd want to loan zhan my mountain bike. Maybe a skateboard.

Objective Danny
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I grew-up on an automatic. Had a stick for two months but it was a lemon. I purchased it from a co-worker. Took her word that the motor was good. After a couple of day I wondered 'what is this black stuff leaking from the bottom of my car'? . . . It was OIL. My co-worker sold me a bill of goods!

Eventually the motor went out in it. I never said anything to my co-worker about it. She knew she got to me. Tried to avoid me. I let her stew in her on juices.

. . . Back on topic, doesn't a manual get better gas mileage than an automatic?

JRstriker12
07-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I prefer a manual. Though I really want to try a clutchless manual someday.

I heard the clutchless manual systems in the VW and audi cars are slick.

My next car needs a clutchless system - not one of those fake push-to-shift automatics - since my wife can't drive stick.

Every try the shifter in a honda s2000? I swear there's nothing sweeter. The throws are ultra short and it moves like clock-work.

simi
07-26-2006, 02:05 PM
. . . Back on topic, doesn't a manual get better gas mileage than an automatic?

Used to be that way, but in the past few years, say five or so, automatic transmission technology has advanced to the point where it is pretty much a wash.

Rickson
07-26-2006, 02:07 PM
I drove a stick for a while and it was great, but then I switched to an automatic and it's just so different. The one thing I like about automatic is that you can coast so easily when you're in gear. I kind of miss shifting though. Manual seems a lot simpler. Which do you prefer?
I learned how to drive stick 19 years ago. Give me a stick any day over an automatic.

Rickson
07-26-2006, 02:10 PM
ppl drive manuals r probably safer than ppl who drive autos...
just cuz u have to be on the ball all the time not eating a mickey d's cheese burger and driving at the same time
You're wrong, buddy. I can eat or drink while driving a stick. The key is to eat or drink with the left hand and do a shift with the right of course, but you momentarily let go of the steering wheel which is in the right hand.

GRANITECHIEF
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Its OK to let go momentarily cuz you can steer with your knee!

Objective Danny
07-26-2006, 02:16 PM
For the most part driving a stick is a guy thing. Most women don't want to be bothered with shifting gears. That's why most rentals are automatic.

simi
07-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Its OK to let go momentarily cuz you can steer with your knee!

You do that too? But, I'm not as good as you. I have to use both knees.

simi
07-26-2006, 02:25 PM
My wife is Uruguayan and we visit often. One of the first things I noticed about Uruguay and Argentina that is different with the United States is the ratio of autos to sticks. Here in the U.S., it is about 80%-20% (give or take). Down south, the ratio is opposite. One would have a difficult time finding an automatic. I suspect that most "third world" countries are the same.

zhan
07-26-2006, 06:22 PM
That does it! Don't ever ask to borrow my car. You'll have to hoof it. :D
its not bad driving technique
its just i love to do racing stunts and its really fun!
lol...
my rear tires need to be replaced... after about 2 months (1 month real driving and 1 month grannying)
my friend was like "yo when u got those tires they were like new... now its deaded"
hahahahaha
btw... local car groups call me the "Donut guy"
if u know what that means ;)

wimble10
07-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Used to be that way, but in the past few years, say five or so, automatic transmission technology has advanced to the point where it is pretty much a wash.

I drive my automatic kind of like a stick in that I put it in neutral whenever I come to a stop. That's a habit from driving a stick for so long. The biggest change from automatic to stick is when you're going in reverse. You have to have your foot on brake, not gas. :rolleyes:

zhan
07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
I drive my automatic kind of like a stick in that I put it in neutral whenever I come to a stop. That's a habit from driving a stick for so long. The biggest change from automatic to stick is when you're going in reverse. You have to have your foot on brake, not gas. :rolleyes:

what i hate about auto is the car goes without pressing the gas in D
whats with that...
like manual u have to give gas to go
auto with no throttle and the car just moves at like 3mph by itself...
thats what bothers me

Tennis guy from NorCal
07-26-2006, 09:52 PM
In LA, I would never drive a stick. Too many hills, too stop and go, too much traffic, etc. Automatic all the way.

You think that's bad? Try going to San Francisco...

wimble10
07-27-2006, 09:12 AM
gear ratio problems of autos lol...
6 spd > 4spd

In my automatic I will be in 3rd gear and then take my foot off the gas; then it might shift to 4th gear and if I start going uphill it may not shift down unless I push harder on gas, and by the time that happens it could end up shifting down to 2nd. Or this can be avoided by just shifting it manually to the D3 position.

zhan
07-27-2006, 10:14 AM
In my automatic I will be in 3rd gear and then take my foot off the gas; then it might shift to 4th gear and if I start going uphill it may not shift down unless I push harder on gas, and by the time that happens it could end up shifting down to 2nd. Or this can be avoided by just shifting it manually to the D3 position.
manually shifting old school autos is stupid...
just get a stick shift ...
japanese or german ...
like honda/acuras have really good manual transmisions and shifting mechanisms
b***... u have to get used to it... the thing catches too immediately
audi... very standard

wimble10
07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
manually shifting old school autos is stupid...
just get a stick shift ...
japanese or german ...
like honda/acuras have really good manual transmisions and shifting mechanisms
b***... u have to get used to it... the thing catches too immediately
audi... very standard

I'll get used to it. It's not as forgiving as the manual transm. I should have got manual. My left leg just sits there and my right does all the work..

Mick
07-27-2006, 09:08 PM
You think that's bad? Try going to San Francisco...
San Francisco isn't so bad :)

GRANITECHIEF
07-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Unless you want to park.

tarheels2323
07-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Stick shift hands down. I learned to drive one when I got my first car (still have it cuz I'm only 19) and hate driving automatics now. Plus, it's much more fun on the back roads. :mrgreen:

zhan
07-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Stick shift hands down. I learned to drive one when I got my first car (still have it cuz I'm only 19) and hate driving automatics now. Plus, it's much more fun on the back roads. :mrgreen:

my first car was audi a4...
stick shift...
i stalled soooo many times while learning it was NOT funny
like i'd stall at almost every light

wimble10
07-28-2006, 08:31 AM
I want to trade in my auto for a stick. And I only have 15k miles. :rolleyes:

GRANITECHIEF
07-28-2006, 08:50 AM
I have a 1988 Nissan Pickup, extended cab, sunroof, shell, etc. 225,000 miles, with a smooth shifting 5-speed. I might consider a trade.

RiosTheGenius
07-28-2006, 09:04 AM
For the most part driving a stick is a guy thing. Most women don't want to be bothered with shifting gears. That's why most rentals are automatic.
not necessarely. my gf and mom drive manual.... and so do all the women in south america and europe.

zhan
07-28-2006, 09:41 AM
stick shift for the win !

wimble10
07-28-2006, 11:03 AM
I think most women enjoy driving a stick. I'll probably keep my automatic and drive granny style. My left leg will probably forgive me.

DavisI
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
6 speed manual. 55 miles a day to work and back, it's a blast.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/MrDavis_2006/caee6ad7.jpg

zhan
07-31-2006, 05:45 PM
6 speed manual. 55 miles a day to work and back, it's a blast.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/MrDavis_2006/caee6ad7.jpg

i totally love the s2000 transmission
its smooth as butter
but just when i first test drove it i stalled like 50 times cuz the gears were so close together so i shifted from 1-2 to 5-6 lol

DragonNeedSpank
07-31-2006, 05:47 PM
im onli 16 so i use automatic =(

zhan
07-31-2006, 05:48 PM
im onli 16 so i use automatic =(
cuz ur a wussie ;) ;)
men drive sticks
boys drive autos

DragonNeedSpank
07-31-2006, 05:50 PM
cuz ur a wussie ;) ;)
men drive sticks
boys drive autos

u just suck!! at least get to drive at my age =)!!

zhan
07-31-2006, 08:05 PM

eh...
yeah...
my first car was an Audi A4 Quattro with manual transmission
beat that
;)
bought with my own money!
aka i worked since i was 13 to buy it

ShooterMcMarco
07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
heres mine, lets see if you guys know what it is:

http://i7.tinypic.com/21lvbrd.jpg

zhan
07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
heres mine, lets see if you guys know what it is:

http://i7.tinypic.com/21lvbrd.jpg

acura rsx...
lol...
i can tell just from the shift knob
hahaha

well u know its not a v6 or v8
cuz they dont rev up to 9000rpm except the ferrari v8 (aka insane enginneering)
only stock 6cyc i know that rev to 8000 is the e46m3 and the interior is too japanese aka bland
then u figure what revs up to 8000 9000?
honda vtec...
then u figure honda cars are usually crappier interior with cheap leather
so u figure acura
so thats a car analogy ...

armand
07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
I regret getting my 2001 Honda Civic Si in 5 speed manual form. I shoulda opted for the automatic. Shifting gears+pressing clutch, no matter how fun it is, is just more work. And working after a long day of work is displeasurable! I just wanna get to where I'm going and not give a *****. And on top of that, the fuel mileage isn't nearly as great as I'd thought it'd be(stupid short gearing, bah).
Also, anytime we wanna head downtown into the nutty traffic, I'll do anything to not drive. I'll make someone else drive or even just take the metro. It wasn't always like this...

zhan
07-31-2006, 09:35 PM
I regret getting my 2001 Honda Civic Si in 5 speed manual form. I shoulda opted for the automatic. Shifting gears+pressing clutch, no matter how fun it is, is just more work. And working after a long day of work is displeasurable! I just wanna get to where I'm going and not give a *****. And on top of that, the fuel mileage isn't nearly as great as I'd thought it'd be(stupid short gearing, bah).
Also, anytime we wanna head downtown into the nutty traffic, I'll do anything to not drive. I'll make someone else drive or even just take the metro. It wasn't always like this...

honda si, acura rsx, s2000 tranny shifters are just god amazing ....
like world class
its silky smooth, very short, plays exactly where u want it
sure stick shift is a b!tch sometimes but when ur doing sunday mrning spirited runs around ur backroads...
u'd want a stick shift

and for just a 5 minute smile on my face everyweek
i choose the manual

DragonNeedSpank
08-01-2006, 05:47 AM
eh...
yeah...
my first car was an Audi A4 Quattro with manual transmission
beat that
;)
bought with my own money!
aka i worked since i was 13 to buy it

hey u wanna buy me a car then? =D!! and not no cheap car =O!!!!

zhan
08-01-2006, 05:53 AM
hey u wanna buy me a car then? =D!! and not no cheap car =O!!!!

why
1991 honda civic DX hatch back with 174,000 miles on the clock
???
;)

DragonNeedSpank
08-01-2006, 05:55 AM
why
1991 honda civic DX hatch back with 174,000 miles on the clock
???
;)

sure ill take it!! just drive it down to my house and ill buy u a thank u card =D!!!!

zhan
08-01-2006, 06:08 AM
sure ill take it!! just drive it down to my house and ill buy u a thank u card =D!!!!
if u beat me in tennis i'll give u a ride in my red hot coupe
;)

DragonNeedSpank
08-01-2006, 06:15 AM
if u beat me in tennis i'll give u a ride in my red hot coupe
;)

meh ill just hotwire it and BYE BYE!! :p

xxzero90xx
08-01-2006, 07:39 AM
I second that. I enjoy my manual in my MR2 Turbo, but also like having an automatic in my Tribute.

Another fellow MR2 turbo owner around here? Sweet! In something fast its all about manual, feels much better stuff like luxury nothing better than auto.

xxzero90xx
08-01-2006, 07:49 AM

I gatta hand it to zhan hes right boys have autos and real men drive a stick with the exception of me im 16 too, but I got my brothers manual mr2 for my birthday, cant wait till I get his RX-7 fro my B-Day.
Stick is the way to go if your one of those crazy people that like to do all those racing stunts

DragonNeedSpank
08-01-2006, 07:52 AM
u ppl r dumb rich!! GIMME UR MONEY OR I WILL EAT U!!! '';..;''

xxzero90xx
08-01-2006, 08:00 AM
manual...
aka here
http://photos-793.facebook.com/ip006/v20/119/112/6108971/n6108971_30304793_7557.jpg
http://photos-059.facebook.com/ip007/v16/119/112/6108971/n6108971_30104059_8327.jpg
but i really want to try SMG/DSG style tranny lol
say u break ur leg then u can still drive with SMG but NOT the manual clutch style... lol

I bet you my car can take your car:p
http://carpron.com/multisite/v/Upload/michaeltedone/

Ben42
08-01-2006, 08:03 AM
I learned on a stick and only owned stick shift cars until the car I'm driving now. I really miss it.

Once you're really used to it you don't have to think about shifting at all anymore. It's just an automatic function.

armand
08-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I learned on a stick and only owned stick shift cars until the car I'm driving now. I really miss it.

Once you're really used to it you don't have to think about shifting at all anymore. It's just an automatic function.manual = automatic function. Hahahaha!

One thing I will say for manual is that it's saved me from a couple of car accidents. Manual makes you focus more on what you're doing...

zhan
08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
I bet you my car can take your car:p
http://carpron.com/multisite/v/Upload/michaeltedone/

ur car can take my car in what...
ur car is stock like 180hp
my car stock is 287hp with 274tq
it had racing coilovers 10k/14k springrate
i doubt ur car can take my car even on auto-x
;)

thomas martinez
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah, and then us Evo and Scooby guys show up and put you all to shame :P

zhan
08-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, and then us Evo and Scooby guys show up and put you all to shame :P

yeah cuz the evo and sti have aethestical value of zero...
its nice to look good and have performance than just all out performance

xxzero90xx
08-01-2006, 11:26 AM
If your stock ill take you, im real light, and I got a CT 20B turbo(TD06) running at 15-19 PSi boosts, how about that?? Still think you can take me? Ive taken RX-7s, Supras, 300ZXs, VR-4s,etc. (stock of course). But I do beleive im pushing it a bit too much though, without an SAFC fuel tuning. but its all good I only race once in a while.:)

xxzero90xx
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Now Zhan I say you turbo ur 350, when those are turbo those things are beasts, youll be flying. Then I wouldnt mind how much your car could take me by. As long as its Turbo

thomas martinez
08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Ah, depends on a person's perferences on asthetics. I personally LOVE the rally **** pumped up saloon on steroids. The 350s are nice, but NEED to lose those damn door handles. A friend of mine, he did that on his, put on a VeilSide wing and a few other things, car was all jet gloss black, and it was gorgeous. As for your MR2, nah, you ain't keepin up with me. I'll send you my spec in your mail.

JRstriker12
08-01-2006, 12:18 PM

An automatic SI? I have a 2000 SI and they never offered that model in with an auto. What's the point of an auto SI? The stupid thing would shift before the VTEC kicked in around 4000 rpm. Small Honda VTEC engines make most of their horse power in the 4000 to 7000+ range, that's why you would need a stick to take advantage of that engine.

ShcMad
08-01-2006, 12:34 PM
An automatic SI? I have a 2000 SI and they never offered that model in with an auto. What's the point of an auto SI? The stupid thing would shift before the VTEC kicked in around 4000 rpm. Small Honda VTEC engines make most of their horse power in the 4000 to 7000+ range, that's why you would need a stick to take advantage of that engine.

James, long time no see. We should hit some time before I go back to college.

Anyways, I remember when I used to drive a 2001 Integra GS-R. I miss it so much nowadays *SIGH.* The thing had "dual-stage" VTEC, so that VTEC would actually kick in around 4000 RPM, and the butterfly valves would open up around 5800RPM, providing a truly beautiful sound. Oh how I miss that car...:-|

armand
08-01-2006, 01:17 PM
An automatic SI? I have a 2000 SI and they never offered that model in with an auto. What's the point of an auto SI? The stupid thing would shift before the VTEC kicked in around 4000 rpm. Small Honda VTEC engines make most of their horse power in the 4000 to 7000+ range, that's why you would need a stick to take advantage of that engine.Not if you floor it.

zhan
08-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Not if you floor it.

automatic sports = chicken veloute
manual sports = the full chicken midras

zhan
08-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Now Zhan I say you turbo ur 350, when those are turbo those things are beasts, youll be flying. Then I wouldnt mind how much your car could take me by. As long as its Turbo
no way im dropping 10gs on turboing the Z with tune... lol
the VQ is a terrible performance engine... so sooner or later it'll blow and need a rebuild
if i got more money im trading my crap in for an M...
and just stay totally stock...

zhan
08-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Anyways, I remember when I used to drive a 2001 Integra GS-R. I miss it so much nowadays *SIGH.* The thing had "dual-stage" VTEC, so that VTEC would actually kick in around 4000 RPM, and the butterfly valves would open up around 5800RPM, providing a truly beautiful sound. Oh how I miss that car...:-|
i was gonna buy a GS-R as my first car
but the audi a4 quattro was more luxurious and safe...
man that audi was a beast..
i got totally nailed in the back (rear ended)
and i got no damaged while totally f*cked the other guy
:p

armand
08-01-2006, 02:51 PM
^^Oh, so you're a hard ass?^^automatic sports = chicken veloute
manual sports = the full chicken midrasI'm not understanding your poultry metaphor here. Please explain.

xxzero90xx
08-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Ah, depends on a person's perferences on asthetics. I personally LOVE the rally **** pumped up saloon on steroids. The 350s are nice, but NEED to lose those damn door handles. A friend of mine, he did that on his, put on a VeilSide wing and a few other things, car was all jet gloss black, and it was gorgeous. As for your MR2, nah, you ain't keepin up with me. I'll send you my spec in your mail.

I guess you can take me, but ill keep up till like 3rd/4th gear, Its all good im still quicker than all the other kids at school, and better looking than the civics, teggs, eclipses, etc. with the shi**y sounding exhausts

zhan
08-01-2006, 04:50 PM
^^Oh, so you're a hard ass?^^I'm not understanding your poultry metaphor here. Please explain.

its a quote from top gear...
basically chicken veloute is very neutral chicken dish ..
while chicken midras is the hardcore curry spiced up chicken dish

DragonNeedSpank
08-01-2006, 04:58 PM
its a quote from top gear...
basically chicken veloute is very neutral chicken dish ..
while chicken midras is the hardcore curry spiced up chicken dish

i heard zhan is a nub at driving

zhan
08-01-2006, 05:00 PM
i heard zhan is a nub at driving
u must have gotten ur intel from the CIA then...
(CIA is always wrong;) )

DragonNeedSpank
08-01-2006, 05:02 PM
u must have gotten ur intel from the CIA then...
(CIA is always wrong;) )

its from the tickets i see in ur car =O!!! parking tickets!!!

zhan
08-01-2006, 05:04 PM
i never got a real parking ticket before...
except this $5 thing where it was ********

JRstriker12
08-02-2006, 06:23 AM

What's happening man?

Yeah, let me know when you want to hit. Try to let me know a week in advance, so I can clear some time on the schedule. When do you go back to school?

The Integra GS-R was a beautiful machine. I wish honda would sell more of the R version civics and acuras over here.

So how does the subaru compare to the integra?

JRstriker12
08-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Not if you floor it.

Yes, even if you floor it, the VTEC does not kick in until you hit higher RPM's. I think the 2003 model (3-door) had i-vtec which spread the power more evenly and doesn't have that fun kick that you get in some of the earlier Civic si and Interga models.

Also, if you had an auto trans you couldn't control how long you stayed in the VTEC powerband, so a auto SI would be really stupid.

armand
08-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Yes, even if you floor it, the VTEC does not kick in until you hit higher RPM's. I think the 2003 model (3-door) had i-vtec which spread the power more evenly and doesn't have that fun kick that you get in some of the earlier Civic si and Interga models.

Also, if you had an auto trans you couldn't control how long you stayed in the VTEC powerband, so a auto SI would be really stupid.Just meant that if you floor it, the transmission knows to take it to the redline. But you're right, you wouldn't be able to control how long you're in that higher rev range, however, there are very sophisticated programs working in these cars to maximize what the driver wants/needs. So yes, Civic Si is available in automatic.

ShcMad
08-02-2006, 07:08 AM
What's happening man?

Yeah, let me know when you want to hit. Try to let me know a week in advance, so I can clear some time on the schedule. When do you go back to school?

The Integra GS-R was a beautiful machine. I wish honda would sell more of the R version civics and acuras over here.

So how does the subaru compare to the integra?

Nothing much..nothing much has happened lately.. I'm just relaxing at home before going away to college. I'm going back August 17th. I'm free most of the time since I don't have a job, so you might wanna decide when we wanna play according to your schedule.

Sadly, my subaru is no WRX :( It's just a 2.5RS with 165HP. I mean, the GSR's output was 170HP from a 1.8L gas-sipping engine. Plus there's a whooping 500lbs. of weight difference. However, the subaru's good on the snow, and has a sweet rumbling sound at low RPM's. I sold the integra because it attracted too much attention from cops and sketchy people in the neighborhood.

JRstriker12
08-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Nothing much..nothing much has happened lately.. I'm just relaxing at home before going away to college. I'm going back August 17th. I'm free most of the time since I don't have a job, so you might wanna decide when we wanna play according to your schedule.

Sadly, my subaru is no WRX :( It's just a 2.5RS with 165HP. I mean, the GSR's output was 170HP from a 1.8L gas-sipping engine. Plus there's a whooping 500lbs. of weight difference. However, the subaru's good on the snow, and has a sweet rumbling sound at low RPM's. I sold the integra because it attracted too much attention from cops and sketchy people in the neighborhood.

I feel your pain. I once had the STOCK rims and my CD collection stolen from my car. Funny thing was, my wheels were stolen a week after I went to NTB and got some new Falkens put on the car. I think it was an someone who worked at the shop.

JRstriker12
08-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Just meant that if you floor it, the transmission knows to take it to the redline. But you're right, you wouldn't be able to control how long you're in that higher rev range, however, there are very sophisticated programs working in these cars to maximize what the driver wants/needs. So yes, Civic Si is available in automatic.

I don't think any of the Civic SI's from 1999 to present are available in a auto. Don't confuse the Civic Coupe (2 -door, DX, EX and LX) with the SI, as not all coupes have the SI level engine, wheels, and suspension. If you found and SI with an auto tranny, then you got ripped off.

I have a 2000 SI so I know the 1999-2001 SI's were manual only.

On Honda's Web site it shows the 2003 and 2002 SI as manual only:

http://automobiles.honda.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=2002082041512
http://automobiles.honda.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=2001110753199

The current specs on the Honda Web site show the SI as Manual only also:
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_full_specs.asp?ModelName=Civic+Si

mistapooh
08-02-2006, 08:33 AM
^I saw a short interview about the civic si sedan '07 and one of the question was that if there was going to be an auto si and the guy said never =).

ffrpg
08-02-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't think any of the Civic SI's from 1999 to present are available in a auto. Don't confuse the Civic Coupe (2 -door, DX, EX and LX) with the SI, as not all coupes have the SI level engine, wheels, and suspension. If you found and SI with an auto tranny, then you got ripped off.

I have a 2000 SI so I know the 1999-2001 SI's were manual only.

On Honda's Web site it shows the 2003 and 2002 SI as manual only:

http://automobiles.honda.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=2002082041512
http://automobiles.honda.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=2001110753199

The current specs on the Honda Web site show the SI as Manual only also:
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_full_specs.asp?ModelName=Civic+Si

That's correct, the SI was never released with an automatic transmission. Same goes for the Integra GS-R.

armand
08-02-2006, 08:49 AM
First of all, I only wish I had the automatic. Secondly, if someone found an automatic Si, they didn't get ripped off. Observe:

2005 Si auto http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=65637&adid=5392608

2004 http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=65637&adid=5359988

2003 http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=433425&adid=5387370

Some 2001's
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=79035&adid=5409662
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=123094&adid=5372471
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=95564&adid=5370032

2000 http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=35474&adid=5377000

And I've actually seen more autos than manuals myself. How come you guys have never seen an automatic Si? Impossible!

JRstriker12
08-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Oh!!!!

Do you live in Canada? Okay, that's why.

Okay, put it like this. In the US, none of the SI's are sold with an auto tranny.

In the US, someone would be trying to rip you off if they tried to sell and auto SI.

I guess that's why we haven't seen an auto SI and you have.

This also makes me wonder if Honda Canada has a different trim level system. For example, the 4-door SI shown in the picture is only listed as having an 1.7 liter engine, while the US SI coupe has a 2 liter engine.

If i recall what's known in the US as the SI is known as the SiR in Canada.

JR

First of all, I only wish I had the automatic. Secondly, if someone found an automatic Si, they didn't get ripped off. Observe:

2005 Si auto http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=65637&adid=5392608

2004 http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=65637&adid=5359988

2003 http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=433425&adid=5387370

Some 2001's
http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=64&Region=-1&subcategory=&CAT=1
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=123094&adid=5372471
http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=64&Region=-1&subcategory=&CAT=1

And I've actually seen more autos than manuals myself. How come you guys have never seen an automatic Si? Impossible!

zhan
08-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Oh!!!!

Do you live in Canada? Okay, that's why.

Okay, put it like this. In the US, none of the SI's are sold with an auto tranny.

In the US, someone would be trying to rip you off if they tried to sell and auto SI.

I guess that's why we haven't seen an auto SI and you have.

This also makes me wonder if Honda Canada has a different trim level system. For example, the 4-door SI shown in the picture is only listed as having an 1.7 liter engine, while the US SI coupe has a 2 liter engine.

If i recall what's known in the US as the SI is known as the SiR in Canada.

JR

no wonder canadiens r wussies..
;)

JRstriker12
08-02-2006, 09:34 AM
http://www.riceboypage.com/response/ResponsesOfTheWeek.html

According to this site:

US SI = Canadian SIR

US EX = Canadian SI

Makes sense. No wonder why it's so confusing.

So, the question is, can you get and SIR in auto. I doubt it.

armand
08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah, Canada is awesome, ain't it? I remember years ago when the US only had the 240hp BMW M3 while Canada got the Euroversion with 320hp(I think the US gets the 320hp these days). Anyway.

Canada Si = VTEC 127 hp
Canada SiR = VTEC 160+hp and no automatic available. That'd be ridiculous! Almost as weird as an automatic Ferrari! Oops http://www.ferrariofhouston.com/456GTA.htm Automatics are coming back with a vengeance! Not to mention those new fancy F1 type transmissions that are appearing more+more.

I'm still unclear about the US Si. If it has 160hp VTEC, you call it an Si. And if it's a 127hp VTEC, then you call it an EX?

I've also seen some Civic SiG's, but as far as I can see, they're the same as Si's.

mucat
08-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Yes, SI in US is SIR in Canada. However, the latest gen Civic, Honda finally
gives the same car (Both in US and Canada) with the name SI.

And then there is the Acura EL. It sold very well in Canada, does Acura still make those?

JRstriker12
08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah, Canada is awesome, ain't it? I remember years ago when the US only had the 240hp BMW M3 while Canada got the Euroversion with 320hp(I think the US gets the 320hp these days). Anyway.

Canada Si = VTEC 127 hp
Canada SiR = VTEC 160+hp and no automatic available. That'd be ridiculous! Almost as weird as an automatic Ferrari! Oops http://www.ferrariofhouston.com/456GTA.htm Automatics are coming back with a vengeance! Not to mention those new fancy F1 type transmissions that are appearing more+more.

I'm still unclear about the US Si. If it has 160hp VTEC, you call it an Si. And if it's a 127hp VTEC, then you call it an EX?

I've also seen some Civic SiG's, but as far as I can see, they're the same as Si's.

Yes, the US SI has the 160hp vtec and only comes as a coupe with a manual transmision. The trim level below the SI in the US is the EX.

armand
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Yes, the US SI has the 160hp vtec and only comes as a coupe with a manual transmision. The trim level below the SI in the US is the EX.Poor Americans! They have to pay for the VTEC motor, leather seats, lesser fuel mileage etc, and on top of that, they can't even say the words "I drive an Si"! Oh, I'd hate to be an American right now...

--------------------------------

I was just wondering about this today: Would anyone pick the regular 6 speed gated transmission over the F1 transmission if they were getting a Ferrari?

zhan
08-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Poor Americans! They have to pay for the VTEC motor, leather seats, lesser fuel mileage etc, and on top of that, they can't even say the words "I drive an Si"! Oh, I'd hate to be an American right now...

--------------------------------

I was just wondering about this today: Would anyone pick the regular 6 speed gated transmission over the F1 transmission if they were getting a Ferrari?

ugh...
no...
that would be not very smart...

#1 ferrari clutch and tranny components are very expensive so if u drive aggressive like me... u'd blow that piece and it'll cost a fortune to fix...
the F1 gearbox prevents over-revving, total recklessness and shifts gear perfectly... im a good shifter when im fully concentrated but even that i dont want to mess with a ferrari manual lol

#2 if u drive a ferrari u'd want to take it to the track... the f1 is just better on the track than a standard manual

#3 of course ur ferrari has to have 21st century technology... so thats a good thing to boast about when ur showing off ur whip to ur mates

#4 ferrari is f1 oriented ... so f1 gearbox in their cars would be almost necessary even though some hardcore enthusiasts complain about it... yes the 1st gen f1 was rubbish but they've fixed that very quickly so now its very good

juani
08-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Automatic=ladies and old people
Manual=men