PDA

View Full Version : Draw system

callitout
07-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Most tournaments have seeds and thereafter randomly assign the unseeded players opponents. Why? Is there a reason not to just take the top players and give them the worst opponents, rather than a random player from the unseeded pool.
This came up at Wimbledon where Fed had a seemingly tough first round opponent in Gasquet, who certainly wasnt the lowest ranked player in the field. Why should, for example, a wildcard get to play a qualifier. This happened this week at the UCLA tournament where Oudsema gets to play a wildcard while some players several hundred ranking positions ahead of him have to play another solid player.

I know Im not the first to wonder this, but couldnt find the answer searching old threads.

baseliner
07-24-2006, 06:20 AM
Under your system, a low ranking player has no chance of moving up the ranks unless he beats a top ranked player. If a low ranked player gets a good draw he can actually improve his ranking and move up. With a straight weighted draw the lowest ranked player has to be able to beat the #1 seed to advance.

JohnS
07-24-2006, 08:51 AM
If I where federer, I wouldnt want to play a qualifier EVERYTIME because that could actually bore him (though a qualifier may love to or dread to). This also let players play different people every time rather than already expecting someone for the rounds of 128, 64, etc... It's more interesting this way and better for the players, fans, and the game.

Chadwixx
07-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Under your system, a low ranking player has no chance of moving up the ranks unless he beats a top ranked player. If a low ranked player gets a good draw he can actually improve his ranking and move up. With a straight weighted draw the lowest ranked player has to be able to beat the #1 seed to advance.

That or play smaller tournaments to improve their ranking. The rankings change week to week so it is nearly impossible for the lowest ranked guy to play #1 seed over and over.

They use this current system to manipulate draws. With a real system like other sports use we wouldnt see roddick and agassi playing no bodies in the early rounds while fed plays gasquet.

I personally like a real draw with bonus points.