PDA

View Full Version : legal placement of dampener

alb1
07-17-2004, 12:44 PM
is i t legal for the dampener to touch the bottom cross string?
i thought i read where it could but the local pro says no

Deuce
08-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Yes, it can touch the bottom cross string - but it cannot be above the bottom cross string, or inside of the top cross, or left or right main. In other words, it must be placed outside of the pattern of crossed strings - between the last main or cross and the frame.

topspin
08-17-2004, 12:03 AM
I posted about this in another thread. I got clear video of Roddick using an elastic and wrapping it above the last cross. The rule is there as a guideline, just don't overdo it and you should never have a problem.

K!ck5w3rvE
08-18-2004, 12:18 AM
The definition is that it must be outside the string pattern. You can have more than one dampener, but they must be outside the string pattern. A guy at my club uses a huge light old Prince racquet (not sure what its called) and he has a worm dampener down the bottom at 6, 2 head dampeners on the sides at 3 & 9, and an "O" dampener at 12. How stupid...

DrTennis
12-23-2007, 01:37 AM
If you want to play by the rules here’s what the USTA has to say: Rules of Tennis Specifications of Appendix II

Case 3: Can vibration damping devices be placed on the strings of the racquet? If so, where can they be placed?
Decision: Yes, but these devices may only be placed outside the pattern of the crossed strings.

tzinc
12-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Touching the string is not the same as being inside it. If it's touching that's fine.

AndrewD
12-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Why on earth would you want to revive a thread that is 3 years old, not to mention the 2 year old one you revived on exactly the same topic?