PDA

View Full Version : Is Nadal really one-dimensional?

erik-the-red
07-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Speed

No doubt that Nadal is one of the fastest guys on tour. He retrieves drop shots with ease and moves very well side-to-side.

Groundstrokes

Everybody has always been raving about his forehand. Nobody ever mentions his backhand. Unlike the left wing of Carlos Moya, Nadal's backhand is a true weapon. He can go cross-court or down-the-line, and he seems to be able to pass with it when he needs to.

Serve

He was clay-court reared, and pretty much the only clay-courters who had big serves were Moya and Guga. After Wimbledon, it seems like Nadal can serve in the 120 range; it's just that he chooses not to, especially on clay.

Mental Fortitude

Who can contest that this guy is one of the toughest guys out there?

So, is Nadal really just a one-dimensional clay courter? I think not.

stan smith
07-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't know of many people who call him one dimensional, unless they are nadal bashers.

He also has great movement on the court and does well in constructing points. His volley is nothing great, but he does commit to the net a lot and does fairly well, many times showing good touch.

As far as his serve goes, he should be thankful for his left-handedness, becuase it is pretty average and his second serves are sometimes far too short.

The Pusher Terminator
07-24-2006, 01:40 PM
People are so quick to simplify. Nadal is no way one dimensional. First of all his strokes are wild....just take a look at them. Have you ever seen anyone hit the ball that way before? The topspin he creates is awesome.

Secondly he has in addition to a topspin backhand an awesome slice backhand! Everyone ignores it!

Thirdly...have you seen this kid at the net? Damn he has great hands!!

Fourth his serve is improving everyday and at Wimbledon it was a weapon...niot in speed but placement.

Fed is the one who termed Nadal as a one dimensional player...but only because he was 0-4 for the year against Nadal. Nadal is in a class of his own. We have never seen a player with his style before.

Andres
07-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Serve

He was clay-court reared, and pretty much the only clay-courters who had big serves were Moya and Guga.
Moya, and Guga, and Gonzalez, and Acasuso, and Calleri, and Zabaleta, and Caņas, and Verdasco, and Massu (in a way)

typingchamp
07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Nadal's strengths are many. No way is he one-dimensional.

Nadal is serving great lately and still improving.
Best offensive defense in the game. Period.
Great touch (beautiful drop shots like most clay courters, and lobs too).
Improving volley (already surpassed Roddick's volleys, not saying much though).
Improving backhand (it was always great on the run though).
Mental toughness.

Nadal's topspin also allows him to hit some crazy angles and more his opponent around the court.

Mick
07-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Who can contest that this guy is one of the toughest guys out there?

Jimmy Connors called Nadal a "grinder," someone who would do whatever it takes to win a match.

alan-n
07-24-2006, 02:05 PM
If one dimensional means, win the match... yeah he's one dimensional. Other wise he has all the ground strokes you could ask for from a 2 hander. His backhand on the run is out-rageous. His serve is solid now, its no long "get-the-ball-in-play" as he places it well enough. He has the best 2Handed backhand on tour night now, Safin doesn't count right now.

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 02:07 PM
He has the best 2Handed backhand on tour night now, Safin doesn't count right now.

You need to wake up.

supersmash
07-24-2006, 02:11 PM
I've seen him crack a 130 here and there. I'm not much of a fan of his game, but I enjoy watching him get tremendous head speed on the ball.

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 03:26 PM
nadal is def not 1 dimensional. he can run balls down, serve well, rally from baseline, he came into net at Wimby...he can do anything

alan-n
07-24-2006, 03:35 PM
You need to wake up.

Wake up to what? The fact that Rafa is the only this year that stepped up to the Federer challenge on hard court and clay?

Yeah Rafa has the best 2 handed backhand right now, the results from his backhand side speaks for itself.

Marat Safinator
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
You need to wake up.

exactly...:D

tennisprofl
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Wake up to what? The fact that Rafa is the only this year that stepped up to the Federer challenge on hard court and clay?

Yeah Rafa has the best 2 handed backhand right now, the results from his backhand side speaks for itself.
i wouldnt go that far...

alan-n
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Bleh, Marat can't have the best 2 hander right now. Simply because he isn't playing enough or winning enough :)

edberg505
07-24-2006, 03:45 PM

Where does Nadal rank in terms of most hardcourt wins this season?

acetennisman
07-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Nadal is a person in the universe, so he is three dimensional (x y and z). The fourth dimension of his, time( is the most unique, because he's so far advanced for his age(im just giving one side or version of time, one that is not as strong as most). Therefore nadal is four dimensional.

alan-n
07-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Where does Nadal rank in terms of most hardcourt wins this season?

He went 12-3 on hardcourts since the beginning of the year on a bad foot that he injured before last years's Tennis Master's Cup in Shanghai... he missed the year end finals. He pulled out of the Austrailian open because of foot kept bothering him. Loses on hard court were to Anaud Clement, James Blake, and Carlos Moya. Some big wins on hard court were vs Federer in the Dubai Finals, Baghdatis in the Pacific Life Quarter Finals.

WayneCM
07-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Baghdatis...??? Come on... And what high quality player did he play on his way to the Wimbly Final(Nieminen, Bagdahtis)....??? Decent players with quality but when u consider fed faced the Gasquet, Henman, the bird man and Ancic.... U c what i'm gettin at....???? I'm not a fan r a hater, i enjoy sum of his matches,... But ppl give him 2 much credit.... He's very good... He's 19, lets see what happens over the next 3 years...

alan-n
07-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Bleh, giving Nadal too much credit? Nah he's just getting the hype he's earned, all players are hyped its called marketing. He's very good at 19?.. Yeah 2 French opens and #2 in the world is "just" very good, nothing special.

Over the past year who has been able to beat Roger on Hard Courts? Nadal, Nalbandian, Safin over a year ago and who else?.. anyways its a very short list and Nadal has taken Roger Federer out on the hard courts the last few times they've played so you can see why he's getting all the hype he has been getting leading up to the US Open.

All the players you've mentioned in that draw list.... Nadal has beaten handily in recent records.

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 09:24 PM

Because of his backhand?

It doesn't matter what you say, it doesn't mean it is true. People jump up to conclude too quickly. He played quite well off backhand side in later rounds at Wimbledon, he suddenly has the best backhand now? What about French? His backhand side was his weakness there.

The tennis guy
07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
All the players you've mentioned in that draw list.... Nadal has beaten handily in recent records.

Again, because of his backhand?

Nadal-inator
07-24-2006, 09:26 PM
hes not one dimensional...he just needs to adjust his game to different surfaces...hes already proven he can play on hard courts as well as grass

textbook strokes
07-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I think Roger tried to ammend that "one dimensional" comment. It was funny when he mentionned Sampras as being one dimensional too ;) .

NamRanger
07-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Nadal isn't really one dimensional, he just hasn't added enough vareity into his game IMO. He's got the accurate and high topspin forehand, and the ability to crank up his backhand, sure. But you forget, although his topspin forehand is great, you see that kind of topspin from most of the great claycourters like Mustar, Guga, and others.

What Nadal needs to do to be sucessful on faster courts is to be more agressive, and try to keep his strokes a little more compact then they are right now. Although the topspin to Federer's backhand always works, it gets him into alot of trouble against players like James Blake and Carlos Moya (who for some reason has the ability to hit great backhands ONLY against Nadal).

Nadal is learning how to construct points very fast, and I'd say he's a big contender at the U.S. open if he can stay on the baseline, and not 10 feet behind it.

tnig469
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Nadal is a person in the universe, so he is three dimensional (x y and z). The fourth dimension of his, time( is the most unique, because he's so far advanced for his age(im just giving one side or version of time, one that is not as strong as most). Therefore nadal is four dimensional.

this is the best explaination yet......

ShooterMcMarco
07-24-2006, 10:36 PM
If I was asked this one year ago, I woulda said yes.

chinese dragon
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
also explain the fact why hes a pro if hes only one dimensional...hes got to to have multi-dimensional attributes too

MariaS
07-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Good question. Interesting responses. I also think he's going to have to become multi-directional in order to beat Federer (I hate having to bring that name up all the time). I do hope he hangs around and keeps trying. He's fun to watch play and Roger needs someone breathing down his back. :D :D

helloworld
07-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Good question. Interesting responses. I also think he's going to have to become multi-directional in order to beat Federer (I hate having to bring that name up all the time). I do hope he hangs around and keeps trying. He's fun to watch play and Roger needs someone breathing down his back. :D :D
ah.... FYI, Nadal has beaten Federer 5 times in a row !

alan-n
07-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Again, because of his backhand?

And who playing right NOW has a better weapon on that 2 handed side? Nalbandian? Safin? Yeah right.

helloworld
07-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Safin on fire can have a bigger weapon than Nadal on the backhand side, but he is rarely on fire though...

alan-n
07-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Because of his backhand?

It doesn't matter what you say, it doesn't mean it is true. People jump up to conclude too quickly. He played quite well off backhand side in later rounds at Wimbledon, he suddenly has the best backhand now? What about French? His backhand side was his weakness there.

It doesn't matter what you say it doesn't mean its true because you can't back it up with any concrete facts, you state your oppinion and I've mine thats how it works. BTW when Rafeal was 16 I made the oppinion that Rafeal would be marketted as and have Agassi like results / become this generation's Andre Agassi. That was my oppinion, it doesn't mean it true... even if it does come true with your sense of argument. You have your oppinion and I have mine, and guess what its the players RESULTS that proves who is right or wrong.

Its stupid to argue that or insert into other people's mouth that a top player gets to the top purely on 1 stroke. But again, since you are so all knowing about stokes, who is the game currently has the best 2 handed backhand with the results to prove it besides the retiring Andre Agassi?

Yeah, what a great example of Nadals weak backhand, it was so weak he won the French Open with it ripping the usually down the line and cross court runners for winners.. Everyone is prone to errors even Federer, doesn't mean Federer or Sampras has a weak backhand.

The tennis guy
07-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Everyone is prone to errors even Federer, doesn't mean Federer or Sampras has a weak backhand.

You are just wrong. Both Sampras and Federer have weak backhand on clay.

By the way, there are better opinions, and then there are terrible opinions. Not all opinions are equal.

alan-n
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Your opinion is that Federer has such a weak and terrible backhand on clay that he is able to at least be competitive against the likes of Nadal and beat the likes of Coria to win the Hamburg title. The only clay courter that has stopped Federer has Nadal. Wow he has a "weak" backhand.

You are right, there are better opinions and terrible ones. Thanks for critiquing people and providing nothing to support your oppinions, they are terrible. And thanks for "random" string of facts again.

Gilgamesh
07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
So, is Nadal really just a one-dimensional clay courter? I think not.

Nadal is not one-dimesional. Only his haters would still claim this.

Sure he only has won slams on clay.

But his hardcourt record is pretty good and his performance at Wimby indicates his dedication to improve on grass.

I think it is suffice to say now that Nadal is not just a clay courter rather his strength is still on clay.

The tennis guy
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Your opinion is that Federer has such a weak and terrible backhand on clay that he is able to at least be competitive against the likes of Nadal and beat the likes of Coria to win the Hamburg title. The only clay courter that has stopped Federer has Nadal. Wow he has a "weak" backhand.

Are you watching tennis at all? Federer won on clay DESPITE of his erratic backhand. Someone wins most of the time doesn't mean he doesn't have weakness. Someone wins most of the time doesn't mean everything he does is the best.

You argument is such teenage argument. It has to be either black or white.